Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Brain Curry posted:

I know Catrina Allen has come out in support of dgpt. Paige and Ella are publicly supportive of Natalie. I’m hoping Missy, Ohn, and Jen Allen are cool since they’re ridiculously nice and happy in person

Maria Oliva supports trans rights too.

I don’t think Ohn has said anything but I know she wasn’t up with the group at the preserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NickRoweFillea posted:

Maria Oliva supports trans rights too.

I don’t think Ohn has said anything but I know she wasn’t up with the group at the preserve.

The most supportive players I know of are Ella Hansen, Maria Oliva and Luke Samson, and Ali Smith and Mary Cannon. The five of them showed up to Natalie's tee time at OTB Open to cheer her on. Ella and Maria have also been vocal on Instagram, re-sharing posts from Natalie and/or Throw Proud.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I'm shifting all of my top players based on this. Unfollowed a handful of players already. I'm glad Maria is down, I've always liked her.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. In my head I'm thinking if elite, touring FPO players wont play A-tier events, than a player who would otherwise be top 20 FPO in the world (Natalie Ryan) but limited to A-Tier events will be running roughshod over the usual A-Tier field. Maybe this is some tinfoil hat poo poo, but it seems like this would only incite assholes already living in an TERF echo chamber that Natalie or players like her have no place in disc golf. It's almost as if this was by design?

Bag talk:
My watermelon Voyager Lite is starting to tear at the pockets and is pretty worn. Looking for a sick replacement that will hold up longer than a year and a half. I usually carry around 12 discs, a water bottle and a light rainshirt so I don't need a huge bag. All my usual 4-some have the AX5 from GRIPeq which seems like a great compromise of price, durability and size. I did come across the Pound Rufus which seems very stout and just about perfect for what I carry (and the turquoise color is woooo). What say you thread?

Also I bought a Gripeq Paige Pierce G2 shoulder bag some time ago that just does not work for me. If anyone is interested I'd ship it out for 60 bucks. Used twice.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I have a Pound Rufus that I adore. I highly recommend it. I got it to replace my Upper Park Rebel which was a nice bag but I couldn't get over the positioning of the water bottle holders -- they curve around the torso so that if you have bottles in them they whack you every time you pick up or put down the bag.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. In my head I'm thinking if elite, touring FPO players wont play A-tier events, than a player who would otherwise be top 20 FPO in the world (Natalie Ryan) but limited to A-Tier events will be running roughshod over the usual A-Tier field. Maybe this is some tinfoil hat poo poo, but it seems like this would only incite assholes already living in an TERF echo chamber that Natalie or players like her have no place in disc golf. It's almost as if this was by design?

Bag talk:
My watermelon Voyager Lite is starting to tear at the pockets and is pretty worn. Looking for a sick replacement that will hold up longer than a year and a half. I usually carry around 12 discs, a water bottle and a light rainshirt so I don't need a huge bag. All my usual 4-some have the AX5 from GRIPeq which seems like a great compromise of price, durability and size. I did come across the Pound Rufus which seems very stout and just about perfect for what I carry (and the turquoise color is woooo). What say you thread?

Also I bought a Gripeq Paige Pierce G2 shoulder bag some time ago that just does not work for me. If anyone is interested I'd ship it out for 60 bucks. Used twice.

I had to look back, and you were the one warning me about your bag when I mentioned that I'd bought a Voyager Lite (teal) - I'm glad there's not a regular epidemic of those bags falling apart. I still like mine, although it is a bit heavy.

For other brands, I think Squatch is also well liked although I haven't been able to find them here in Europe wouldn't get the Catrina Allen signature model!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A friend has a Squatch. He really likes it, has two cooler insert for beers, etc. I was thinking about snagging one but the cost is a bit high for my causal playing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I love my Squatch bag, although I only had 3 opportunities before I hosed up my toe. It'd be pretty overkill for Mcqueen's carry, though, imo.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sounds like the perfect time to bring back the Jack Pack and live your best early-00s tech bro fantasy.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
sheeit, glad I found this thread

facts:
1) gently caress the dgpt
2) bangers & comets 4lyfe
3) the competition is soooo good and fun to watch

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's more luck than skill, but getting a throw into the basket from outside circle 2 feels so good.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

NFX posted:

It's more luck than skill, but getting a throw into the basket from outside circle 2 feels so good.

I feel like my jump putts from outside C2 are more accurate than my actual C2 putts.

There was one I had a few weeks ago (to save bogey) where I had to put it about 15ft up and around a thick pine tree. Don't have too many of those but drat do they feel good.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Finally measured not one but TWO 400+ foot drives with an S-Line DD3 and ESP Scorch today.

I'd done back-to-back putter rounds with a K1 Reko X and really worked on keeping my arm hinged and the disc flat through the pull, seems to have paid off :).

Also echoing gently caress the DGPT, will not be giving them any of my money in the future.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Henron posted:

Finally measured not one but TWO 400+ foot drives with an S-Line DD3 and ESP Scorch today.

I'd done back-to-back putter rounds with a K1 Reko X and really worked on keeping my arm hinged and the disc flat through the pull, seems to have paid off :).

Also echoing gently caress the DGPT, will not be giving them any of my money in the future.

Great job on that distance.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
just started playing. my buddy has found enough discs he gave me a starter set. I’m complete poo poo but I’m having a blast anyway. Due to a strange shoulder injury years ago I can’t throw backhand righthand but I have been messing around with sidearm right hand and backhand with my left. Anyway my mechanics are dog but I am hitting fours and fives on nearly every par3 and it rocks.

Trying to get my lil gamer involved. I’ll probably just buy him a disc that he finds cool, since hes only four years old theres no way the disc type is gonna mean poo poo. probably a putter or midrange for him…or he can just borrow whatever he likes from my four disc set.

Is there a good way to find disc golf courses for little dudes? my friend told me there are some elementary schools around here that are obviously for kids but I’d rather be sure these places are open to the public before I show up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would try a hero atom. Its half size and light but flies nice. At 4 I've seen parents just have the kid throw a drive, pick it up, walk up to the basket and place it in. A 2 on every hole!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

stump collector posted:

just started playing. my buddy has found enough discs he gave me a starter set. I’m complete poo poo but I’m having a blast anyway. Due to a strange shoulder injury years ago I can’t throw backhand righthand but I have been messing around with sidearm right hand and backhand with my left. Anyway my mechanics are dog but I am hitting fours and fives on nearly every par3 and it rocks.

Trying to get my lil gamer involved. I’ll probably just buy him a disc that he finds cool, since hes only four years old theres no way the disc type is gonna mean poo poo. probably a putter or midrange for him…or he can just borrow whatever he likes from my four disc set.

Is there a good way to find disc golf courses for little dudes? my friend told me there are some elementary schools around here that are obviously for kids but I’d rather be sure these places are open to the public before I show up.

Dino Discs has great options for lightweight and fun disc designed for kids.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Glitch

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Been seeing a lot of little tykes out there with the Glitches, yea.

Good job on the huge drives. Good job putting from deep.

Thanks for the pack recommendations, all.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought two Dino Discs, one for my 7 year old, and one for my 4 year old. They both love them! They have bad form and won't listen to me to try and help fix it, but they're out with dad and having fun so I don't worry about it.

One is a robot Stegosaurus looking one, it reminds my 7 year old of Dinotrux so it is now his favorite disc.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.

stump collector posted:

https://udisc.com/courses

Is probably the most up to date online course directory, they hide some stuff behind their app but it should give you a decent description just from the website. It's pretty good at marking courses on private land or pay to play.

If they get hooked and want their own special disc Innova makes many of their midranges in light weight, lower cost versions. The Shark is a common choice because it's very controllable for kids and also it has a drawing of a shark stamped on it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm in the process of moving to Minneapolis and am excited to try the courses there. I've been playing for about eight months now. A friend showed me the preserve which is an hour northwest, which terrified me. Any TC area goons want to play in the next couple weeks, hit me up!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

SirPablo posted:

I'm in the process of moving to Minneapolis and am excited to try the courses there. I've been playing for about eight months now. A friend showed me the preserve which is an hour northwest, which terrified me. Any TC area goons want to play in the next couple weeks, hit me up!

I think Minnesota has some of the best courses in the country, helps when you have a touring veteran really putting money into the local stuff. Leiviska helped with a bunch of courses up north in the Iron Range area too that are definitely worth a weekend trip up to.

Also if you have the time and want a warmup before the Preserve, Monticello has a great course that went up a few years ago.

Duluth has some great courses north of the TC too if you ever visit that part of the state.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Today's the last day to vote in the PDGA elections.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Udisc raised their prices to $30/yr. Not sure how I feel about it. If I hadn't met the devs and understood how hard they've worked to push Udisc to be a mainstay of disc golf I probably would just walk at that price.

Also bought two F2 Innova discs recently to find a super understable fairway driver. Sidewinder and Roadrunner. Was excited to toss them only to find out that they are more overstable than my Firebirds. I've never had new discs be so far off of how they should fly, but they were $9 each for champ and star plastic...

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Blurb3947 posted:

Udisc raised their prices to $30/yr. Not sure how I feel about it. If I hadn't met the devs and understood how hard they've worked to push Udisc to be a mainstay of disc golf I probably would just walk at that price.

Also bought two F2 Innova discs recently to find a super understable fairway driver. Sidewinder and Roadrunner. Was excited to toss them only to find out that they are more overstable than my Firebirds. I've never had new discs be so far off of how they should fly, but they were $9 each for champ and star plastic...

Champ/star leopards have always been overstable for my arm. That premium plastic just molds up more overstable and take forever to break it. (plus general variety of stability)

can't complain for 9 bucks.

Friend gave me a jawbreaker banger gt. Very cool grey/black marble. I had a really nicely broken it one I used for turnovers, but it got lost a while back. Super stoked.

As far as the Udisc price increase, how lame. I saw the dgpt/jomez is going to start charing $130 a year for no ads. wtf. when did this hippy sport get so gougy.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

UDisc dropped the free scorecard limit at least. Payment gets you historical data and probably other stuff but I’ll wait and see if I run in to the paywall

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
Yeah uDisc now has a near monopoly on scorekeeping and course maps so it was inevitable the price would go up but doubling is too much for me. With all the foul poo poo in the DGPT/PDGA I think I'm going to play a lot less sanctioned golf from now on.

I hope you all don't let this keep you off the course, disc golf is still a good time.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'd be lost trying to play a new course without UDisc.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Played a prodigy 4 round ironman today. So. Tired. It was good times though.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I'd be lost trying to play a new course without UDisc.

Being lost on a new course is part of the charm. Though I do appreciate decent signage so I only look goofy walking in circles looking for a lost disc.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Gotta buy used Innova discs if you want something understable. Everything new is always overstable for a while.

MVP often do what they say out of the box unless it's that cosmic plastic.

Trilogy breaks in real fast. Good for US discs.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

unbuttonedclone posted:

Gotta buy used Innova discs if you want something understable. Everything new is always overstable for a while.

MVP often do what they say out of the box unless it's that cosmic plastic.

Trilogy breaks in real fast. Good for US discs.

I am a big fan of my underworld and hatchet, which were both reliably understable out of the box. I also get a lot of mileage out of a MVP rhythm which does a big loopy S curve but always comes back.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

headcase posted:

Played a prodigy 4 round ironman today. So. Tired. It was good times though.

Holy moley that’s a long day.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Holy moley that’s a long day.

7:15am-7:00pm in 91 degree Georgia humidity. Full sun. At least they bought us sandwiches between round 2 and 3.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
watched ledgestone and it was fun as usual. Great event. Then I heard that the VIP tickets were $200+ wtf

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I saw a picture on Reddit that one of the VIP tents was empty and they just had some snacks. Not sure what you get with the pass but it seemed kinda cheap according to the post.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
All You Can Drink Pop

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lots of good putter drops coming soon. TSA Praxis in Aura, S-line P2…I love putters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Lots of good putter drops coming soon. TSA Praxis in Aura, S-line P2…I love putters.

For my putting putter, I had been firmly on the Loft Hydrogen but didn't quite like how deep it was. I tried the prototype MVP Watt that they had at OTB Open and knew that it could be it. And it's official, I don't know why the Watt when I didn't like the Ohm or the Pilot, but the Watt is my putter. Absolutely no complaints. And a great thrower as well, right up there with the Proxy.