Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I haven't seen it since theaters and in my memory it's a good movie but if I had to put money on it I'd bet that my enjoyment was 90% the soundtrack

the soundtrack to 2 was way worse and, surprisingly, so was the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i don't agree with taubin on everything but she rules

https://twitter.com/HoeffnerJoe/status/1681617958139772928

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i shall watch this

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mantis42 posted:

Unfortunately Johnny Black doesn't seem to have been shot on the same sort of film stock they used for Black Dynamite, so it's more digital looking. And I don't think it looks as funny but we'll see.

It def doesn't look as good as black dynamite but that's ok it still looks promising

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The Barbenheimer combo sat above 90% in both cases.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/metalinjection/status/1681683109069070336?t=sH64764SXaZki10YtwTJnQ&s=19

:eyepop:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I just heard the news today

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sound of Freedom, a Christian thriller about a former federal agent rescuing children from exploitation, is this summer's surprise box office hit. Made for about $15 million, it earned almost as much on its release day as the final installment of Indiana Jones and has raked in more than $85 million since opening earlier this month.

But the movie is also being criticized as a vehicle for conspiracy theories and misleading depictions of human trafficking — landing it in the middle of the country's politically polarized culture wars.

The film, based on a real-life, controversial anti-trafficking activist, is being heavily promoted in conservative media. Former President Donald Trump is hosting a screening on Wednesday at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J .

A big part of its success is an appeal from its star, Jim Caviezel, who comes on screen at the end urging viewers to buy more tickets so other people can see it and help end child trafficking. It's a model distributor Angel Studios calls "pay it forward."

Caviezel, who previously played Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, is also drawing attention to the film in other ways. For years, he's been a prominent promoter of the false, violent QAnon conspiracy theory — specifically, the baseless claim that an international cabal of elites is abusing and killing children to extract a substance called adrenochrome.

These wild claims have become deeply enmeshed with narratives about child trafficking in recent years, from the QAnon predecessor Pizzagate conspiracy theory, which falsely alleged a pizza parlor in Washington, D.C., was home to a child sex ring, to false claims that online retailer Wayfair was selling children in the guise of furniture.

In press appearances promoting Sound of Freedom, Caviezel continues to spout QAnon falsehoods. On a recent episode of former Trump adviser Steve Bannon's podcast, Caviezel claimed "the whole adrenochrome empire" is driving demand for trafficked children. "It's an elite drug that they've used for many years," he asserted, falsely claiming it is "10 times more potent than heroin" and "has some mystical qualities as far as making you look younger."

Despite Caviezel's comments, Sound of Freedom itself doesn't contain any references to adrenochrome or other conspiracy theories. It was actually filmed before QAnon conspiracy theories became a widespread phenomenon.

Executives at Angel Studios, the film's distributor, have publicly rejected any association with conspiracies. So have Tim Ballard, the former federal agent Caviezel plays in the movie, and his organization, Operation Underground Railroad. (Angel Studios declined NPR's interview request. Operation Underground Railroad did not respond to NPR's questions.)

But Ballard recently told right-wing podcadster Jordan Peterson that claimed adrenochrome harvesting is real. His statements, and Caviezel's, have an impact on how Sound of Freedom is being received, said Mike Rothschild, author of The Storm Is Upon Us: How QAnon Became a Movement, Cult, and Conspiracy Theory of Everything.

"It's being marketed to QAnon believers, it's being embraced by this community and its leading actor is a huge part of the QAnon community," he said.

Indeed, QAnon adherents have eagerly anticipated its release and greeted the film as a way to bring new believers into the fold. "New to Q? With the 'Sound of Freedom' movie dominating the box office and giving Hollywood seizures, we have a lot of new eyes on us!" read the title of one popular thread on a QAnon website last week.

In addition to the controversies around QAnon, the rescue story told in Sound of Freedom has also become a lightning rod.

Many of the missions Operation Underground Railroad describes are hard to verify or contain significant misrepresentations, according to extensive reporting by Tim Marchman and Anna Merlan of Vice News.

"They're not whole cloth falsehoods, but they reassemble things that are true or close to being true into stories that are just wildly and completely different from what actually happened," Marchman said.

Operation Underground Railroad has denied Vice's findings. (Ballard recently left the group.)

On screen, Sound of Freedom goes even further in fictionalizing Ballard's story, showing him single-handedly taking on a crime syndicate in Colombia.

These popular depictions raise concerns among anti-trafficking experts, who say they offer an incomplete portrait of a real and urgent problem.

"Because trafficking is so varied and does span so many populations, it really tests our brain to not, not distill it down to some sort of 'this is what a common victim of human trafficking looks like,'" said Elizabeth Campbell, co-director of the University of Michigan's Human Trafficking Clinic. "By doing that, I think we make actual victims of human trafficking more invisible and more vulnerable to exploitation."

She said trafficking takes many forms, including forced labor, which is often under-reported, and affects victims of a wide range of ages. Some trafficking involves kidnapping by strangers, as depicted in Sound of Freedom, but often it's committed by people close to the victim who exploit trust, she said.

In a long blog post about the film, Angel Studios acknowledged some elements are fictionalized and said the film takes "creative liberties in depicting the different methods of child trafficking."

Campbell worries the picture of trafficking and how to address it presented by Operation Underground Railroad and, by extension, Sound of Freedom, diverts people's attention, resources and policy proposals away from where they're most needed.

"It becomes easy for people to say, 'Well, if I just spread a message that we need to support law enforcement in freeing these child victims,' they don't have to do the hard work of asking what role they play in the purchasing of goods for forced labor, or they don't have to play the hard role of figuring out how do we reduce poverty and the sort of inherent vulnerability that comes with poverty that leads to this kind of exploitation," she said.

"Those difficult questions are never asked because we're just sort of saying, 'Well, the best thing you can do is support this particular group in this one particular action against these particular bad guys.'"

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Alert the Orcas

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I would say liquidating the studios is a weird move but hey, they just delete content now to save 30 bucks on residuals so why not just delete everything and reap the tax benefits for the next century.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Nearly as dumb as all the farmers selling off agricultural land to housing developers and solar panels or wind farms. Except we can live without massive studios and IP rights. Food, not so much.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

where's a somali pirate crew when you need them

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
I'm now switching sides of the argument

yeah it's not like walmart would rather shutter a location than allow a single one to unionize :jerkbag:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Sound of Freedom is the future of American Kino

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Nearly as dumb as all the farmers selling off agricultural land to housing developers and solar panels or wind farms. Except we can live without massive studios and IP rights. Food, not so much.

yeah not enough people are aware of the fact that theres no shortage of new movies to watch without the major studios the main impact of them actually taking their ball and going home is that smaller distributors would finally be able to sell movies to theaters again because the disney protection racket would be dead

a big reason why its so important to discredit sound of freedom as being a bad movie for bad people is that as a film from a minor distributor its success calls attention to the fact that the problem with hollywood isnt that people dont watch movies anymore its that the major studios have been insisting on using a really stupid business model for about a decade now thats completely anathemic to the ideals of creativity and free competition that everyone pretends are so important to the cultural dominance of american film

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i liek watcvhing good movies but also sometimes bad ones too

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

exmarx posted:

the full quote is so much worse
" I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man" is an amazing line

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

a big reason why its so important to discredit sound of freedom as being a bad movie for bad people is that as a film from a minor distributor its success calls attention to the fact that the problem with hollywood isnt that people dont watch movies anymore its that the major studios have been insisting on using a really stupid business model for about a decade now thats completely anathemic to the ideals of creativity and free competition that everyone pretends are so important to the cultural dominance of american film

lol no. the entire thing is astroturfed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mamma mia
Italy investigates Placebo singer for calling far-right PM ‘racist’ and ‘fascist’

www.theguardian.com posted:

Italian prosecutors have opened an investigation into the Placebo frontman Brian Molko for publicly calling the Italian prime minister “racist” and “fascist”, according to local media reports.
The band were performing last week at the Sonic Park festival in Stupinigi outside Turin when Molko hurled insults from the stage about Giorgia Meloni.

“Giorgia Meloni, piece of poo poo, fascist, racist,” Molko shouted in Italian, as seen in fan videos from the concert posted on social media.
Prosecutors in Turin did not immediately respond to a request for confirmation.
Meloni, 46, heads Italy’s most rightwing government since the second world war. Italy’s criminal code punishes with a fine ranging from €1,000 to €5,000 (£858 to £4,290) anyone who “publicly defames the republic”, which includes the government, parliament, the courts and the army.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah not enough people are aware of the fact that theres no shortage of new movies to watch without the major studios the main impact of them actually taking their ball and going home is that smaller distributors would finally be able to sell movies to theaters again because the disney protection racket would be dead

sound of freedom is still a bad movie for bad people

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

have you seen it?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

nah cuz i'm a good person.

an angel, in fact.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

the whole reason i'm here is because liberals and fascists are bad people, lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

placebo ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgthb2pQCaQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Sound of Freedom

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Sound of Freedom

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

finally a viable alternative to the traditional hollywood blockbuster model. and all it takes is a decade of deranged conspiracies obliterating the brains of a hundred million people

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

lol no. the entire thing is astroturfed

astroturfing is still a better less stupid business model than whatever it is the major studios are doing that they claim will collapse if theyre not allowed to maintain a database of robots and holograms to make movies

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

astroturfing is still a better less stupid business model than whatever it is the major studios are doing that they claim will collapse if theyre not allowed to maintain a database of robots and holograms to make movies

it's almost as if capitalism is the real problem here

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

which way western man

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

oh poo poo Creamerie season 2 is out

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fellatio del Toro posted:

oh poo poo Creamerie season 2 is out
uhh wtf :catstare:

quote:

Alex, Jaime and Pip are three friends living on a New Zealand dairy farm eight years after all men on Earth have been killed by a mysterious virus. An organization called Wellness now runs their community and controls repopulation via lottery, using sperm saved from old sperm banks. The friends' lives are thrown into disarray when they encounter a man whom they assume to be the last surviving man in the world. As season 1 concludes and season 2 begins, they stumble upon a laboratory where some of the very few surviving men are being held hostage, tied to their chairs, gagged and naked, with pumping devices attached to their genitalia, extracting their semen which will then be used to impregnate women.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
the movie kicks rear end actually jim caviezel ftw

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
love that guy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

person of great interest to me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

croup coughfield posted:

He was great in Ravenous (1999)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

well dont spoil yourself on one of the funniest scenes lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

person of great interest to me

He must be stopped from saving the little children.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
that show kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

that show kicked rear end

I started watching like a month before Snowden's big dump and it made it seem like we were living in the personverse as the story unfolded