Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why settle for a mere dog when you can have your neighbor instead?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Puppy Burner posted:

Someone poisoned my aunt's cat (that I rescued as a kitten when it's mom died) with arsenic because he didn't like animals walking on his lawn.

i don't understand the precise psychology behind it but after having worked for a shelter but it is alarmingly common

also interesting post/username combo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How did this become the sad animal death stories thread :(

Can we please get back to the more uplifting topic of the extinction of all biological life?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Edit: well I hosed up that quote reply

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
if you paint your dogs white maybe no one will notice them

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

TehSaurus posted:

So we’ve had lots of kid chat, but have we had pet chat? what I mean is, I’m considering not replacing my current dogs when they go because when food gets scarce some rear end in a top hat is going to try to poach them and honestly that is one of the few things remaining that is just too horrible for me to contemplate

personally, I had the opposite conclusion. Im adopting a bunch of germans shepherd to protect me from poachers.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Honky Mao posted:

Someone ate my dad when bread prices spiked back in 2022

sorry about that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
new csb video dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3BFXpBcjc

quote:

A CSB safety video on the November 2019 incident at the TPC Group Chemical Plant in Port Neches, Texas. A series of explosions destroyed a portion of the TPC facility, damaged nearby homes and businesses, and prompted a mandatory evacuation of residents living within four miles of the plant. Several workers and members of the public reported injuries and fires burned at the facility for over a month. The incident caused $450 million in on-site property damage and $153 million in off-site property damage to nearby homes and businesses. Media reports indicated that the blast was felt up to 30 miles away.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mags posted:

Less likely to be shot by cops, maybe.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

1 mile? amateur hour.

https://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lmao lol

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Fell Mood posted:

Changing your behavior would mean admitting that something is wrong.
folks, I'm here to tell you, I have searched, deeply, in my soul, and I am here to tell you: nothing is wrong.
sometimes, though, it sure feels like something may be wrong. maybe someone says, 'there are fewer insects nowadays', or maybe the weatherman says, 'it's hotter than it's ever been'. frightening stuff, right? when somebody gets you worried, just look inside and remember: nothing. is. wrong.
sometimes, even knowing that nothing is wrong may not seen like enough. sometimes you want some stronger medicine. when it gets to that point, for me, there's one thing that i, that you, can do, that will always make you feel better:
vote.
vote early, vote often. vote with your wallet, vote with the way you dress. let your vote, YOUR vote, say to people: 'nothing is wrong. i vote, my vote is heard, nothing is wrong.'
thank you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
In most states companion animals are only valued by the courts at replacement cost. So if someone kills your dog from the pound that you got for free you are not entitled to any compensation. However, in Hawaii they are valued at the sentimental value of the companion, which can be many thousands of dollars. This is because we are in many ways not really part of the united states, which is a horrible nation full of sociopathic monsters.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)

mags posted:

ah, so they'll blend in with the roads! :hmmyes:

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
Can some ashes-ashes-head recommend an especially good episode? I'm poking around the most recent eps and it's not really clicking for me.↵
also, i'd recommend Drilled as a p-good climate-adjacent podcast.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
radical acceptance means doing the best you can in the world while you still can

if that means adopting a dog and making it’s life great then go for it

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cold on a Cob posted:

radical acceptance means doing the best you can in the world while you still can

if that means adopting a dog and making it’s life great then go for it

you do you

don’t bite off more ‘n you can chew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stereotype posted:

In most states companion animals are only valued by the courts at replacement cost. So if someone kills your dog from the pound that you got for free you are not entitled to any compensation. However, in Hawaii they are valued at the sentimental value of the companion, which can be many thousands of dollars. This is because we are in many ways not really part of the united states, which is a horrible nation full of sociopathic monsters.

Also despite our lax laws about shooting other people, I'm sure this is another form of "bullying and harming you is allowed and funny, retaliating is a serious crime"

Of course if it's coming down to that, the byzantine legal system will have collapsed and thusly [unintelligible-radio interference] -with a car battery and even [unintelligible-radio interference] their entire f- [unintelligible-radio interference]

Edit: Sorry, sunspot activity is affecting my posts.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
for every pet you do not eat, i will consume three

--

edit: loving lol

Microplastics posted:

Can we please get back to the more uplifting topic of the extinction of all biological life?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SplitSoul posted:

Less likely to be shot by cops, maybe.

lmao

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Here's a happy dog who has somehow survived 16 years without being poisoned by neighbors. Eat him if you want, I bet he'd taste awful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
You, a moron: Heads to the mountains to hunt deer and poo poo. Probably will get eaten by a starving bear.
Me, a genius and expert survivalist: *kissy sounds* "Here kitty kitty! Here kitty kitty!"

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

TehSaurus posted:

So we’ve had lots of kid chat, but have we had pet chat? what I mean is, I’m considering not replacing my current dogs when they go because when food gets scarce some rear end in a top hat is going to try to poach them and honestly that is one of the few things remaining that is just too horrible for me to contemplate

Or, and hear me out, just eat your neighbor first.

Animal abusers aren't people, so you can technically do whatever you want to them! Hell, abusers in general!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Swarm of pitbulls is the hottest new survival strat

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Honky Mao posted:

dog poached. so what

looking for jobs and all I can find are dog poaching shifts smh

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

jit grocery store supply chain dog poaching

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Demilich posted:

Or, and hear me out, just eat your neighbor first.

Animal abusers aren't people, so you can technically do whatever you want to them! Hell, abusers in general!

One might think this; I couldn't possibly comment.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

biceps crimes posted:

looking for jobs and all I can find are dog poaching shifts smh

a compassionate animal control and shelter system now might make for better people control and shelter system later

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Unless posted:

don’t bite off more ‘n you can chew

i have to agree with this, i've ended up with two extra cats now from family/friends who adopted them during the first years of the pandemic and then were unable to take care of them because of post-covid health problems or economic realities

i love 'em but they're extra work on my plate and that plate is already overwhelming me :(

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Great, now I'm getting looks in the Costco

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/07/13/what-matters-about-the-anthropocene-is-not-when-it-began-but-how-it-might-end

Worry not about when the Anthropocene began, but how it might end

the economist finishes this short article with 3 scenarios.

I call this the lol scenario:

quote:

It is possible to imagine an Anthropocene that endures. This would be a world where human activity on its current scale continues, but human institutions rein in its excesses. Its carbon cycle is rebalanced; its climate cools; the chemistry of its abused oceans is tempered; its ice sheets and rainforests are restored.

Then, the lmao scenario:

quote:

It is also possible to imagine an Anthropocene which fades away as the economy and the environment are decoupled. Humans continue to thrive, but they take their largely virtual pleasures in fusion-powered, ai-optimised, indoor-farm-fed, everything-recycled cities—jewels of light on a planet slowly returning to wilderness.

And finally, the "it's going to be this" scenario:

quote:

Alas, it is easy—perhaps too easy—to imagine instead an Anthropocene which is nasty, brutish and short. The nuclear weapons whose testing produced the telltale layers of fallout in Crawford Lake still abound. At some point a geopolitical rupture will see them used, possibly one exacerbated by the environmental catastrophes caused by Anthropocene excess. What remains of civilisation would fall back to a level where its technology no longer rivalled the volcanoes and ocean currents. Perhaps, in time, civilisation would grow back up, perhaps not.

mags
May 30, 2008

if we put lead in the white paint it might help with the nukes too

mags
May 30, 2008

you'll need about an inch thick layer of leaded paint to really make a difference

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
ill eat the paint in rising portions, building up my tolerance to both lead and radiation

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
looks good - feels good

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/austin-ties-record-for-most-days-at-or-above-105-in-a-row/

“AUSTIN (KXAN) — Yet another heat record has been broken in Austin, Texas.

As of July 19, Camp Mabry, Austin’s official weather reporting site, has hit 105° or higher every day for 10 days in a row.

That breaks a 100-year-old record, set in August 1923”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
* goes into millions in debt to paint mansion made of f250s in vantablack*

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Thanks y’all, those were some really great responses, and it seems like the main takeaway is things aren’t that bad yet. I guess I’m catastrophizing a bit. Just like. Goddamn you look at how fast things are deteriorating and it is easy to get carried away.

We take pretty great care of our dogs so they tend to live a long time. And we still have two so it isn’t time to start thinking about another one just yet.

Also too bad about those sunspots. Seemed like that post had some practical advice!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

have the results of that cpsam biosphere thread doomer survey been posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

biceps crimes posted:

your dog is more likely to die from you being unable to get it medical care imo

someone going around the neighborhood to poach peoples dogs sounds unlikely

Here there was already someone going around stealing dogs (to sell).

Also several illegal and unethical breeders who got houses condemned.