Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What if it's Hitler's dog?

What if the kid was Hitler??

What if the dog was Hitler?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Yes?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What? So like if a kid runs up and kicks a dog in the head, that's the dogs fault?

No, the dog owners fault. No one is at fault here really, except the dog owner who put their dog in a situation where children could get at it and also not paying attention to the children and what they are doing. A kicked dog could bite the kid, and thats 100% a dog owners fault.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What? So like if a kid runs up and kicks a dog in the head, that's the dogs fault?

Don't be obtuse, 'touching a dog wrong' could simply be petting it the wrong way, or not being able to read it's body language if it doesn't like you.

edit: well gently caress, what? No, kids know not to kick things. Much like how a dog's behavior is on it's owner, a small child's behavior is on its parent. If some daft bugger has his kid run up to a random animal and get's kicked by a horse or nipped (not mauled) by a dog, that's on the parent.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 19, 2023

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

What if it's Hitler's dog?

What if the kid was Hitler??

What if the dog was Hitler?!

Ein Voof, Ein Fetch, Ein Roll over

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

The world is a scary place

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I dislike loose dogs less than I dislike cats being left outside to kill all the birds

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but it turns out possum traps work equally well for loose/feral cats so it's not all bad

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

If you are able to view a cartoon depiction of a dog without pissing your pants then it sounds like a few of you could benefit reading this WikiHow

https://www.wikihow.com/Remain-Calm-Around-Aggressive-Dogs

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

edit: well gently caress, what? No, kids know not to kick things. Much like how a dog's behavior is on it's owner, a small child's behavior is on its parent. If some daft bugger has his kid run up to a random animal and get's kicked by a horse or nipped (not mauled) by a dog, that's on the parent.

Children, well known rational and consistent actors.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

klen dool posted:

No, the dog owners fault. No one is at fault here really, except the dog owner who put their dog in a situation where children could get at it and also not paying attention to the children and what they are doing. A kicked dog could bite the kid, and thats 100% a dog owners fault.

Gonna disagree generally, in that you can't go anywhere and not guarantee that you'll run into kids. Plus any kid that kicks a dog is an rear end in a top hat with lovely parents.
I have one dog that loves kids and one that likes most kids but doesn't like some others. A good parent will have taught their kid that they ask the dog owner if they can pat the dog, and not to pat a dog they don't know otherwise. A good dog owner will be looking out for situations in which the dog is/will get upset or uncomfortable, and will tell the kid or parent no if necessary and take the dog away if necessary.
I'm still going to be in trouble if some kid comes screaming up to my dogs staring it in the eyes and grabbing the sides of its face and it snaps at them, but the parent has to take some responsibility for their kid Kramering in on my dog while we're out walking.

And as much as I love dogs I will dob in wandering dogs to the council all day long as my good big black lab has been attacked by some uncontrolled dogs before and he's never been the same since:(

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
If a kid does something wrong, it's not the parents fault ffs - it's no one's fault. No one is at fault. There is no responsible party because the person who did the bad thing cannot be responsible for their actions because they are children.

Also you can do something wrong around a dog by A: walking down your own drive way, or B: walking past a cafe doorway because that's what I was doing the two times I was bit by a dog

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that's why they have parents looking out for them. I think there may even be laws about this, but don't take my word on it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

If a kid does something wrong, it's not the parents fault ffs - it's no one's fault. No one is at fault. There is no responsible party because the person who did the bad thing cannot be responsible for their actions because they are children.

Also you can do something wrong around a dog by A: walking down your own drive way, or B: walking past a cafe doorway because that's what I was doing the two times I was bit by a dog

First part: totally wrong, parents are responsible for their children

Second part: totally right, animal brains are incomprehensible, anyone who has been in proximity to a horse knows this implicitly

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Second part: totally right, animal brains are incomprehensible, anyone who has been in proximity to a horse knows this implicitly

Horses are great, by great I mean incredibly dangerous, as the most dangerous end is counter-intuitively the wrong one.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I was about to suggest that animal-chat had run its course, but now that we're poo poo-talking horses, I'm all for it.

Horses are the worst and can gently caress off.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Parents are responsible for their children's wellbeing, but not their actions. That would be absurd.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Horses suck so bad

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Horses are great, by great I mean incredibly dangerous, as the most dangerous end is counter-intuitively the wrong one.

I always went by the adage 'Don't trust an animal that weighs more than you do' and by gum it seems to have worked out.

Save for the three times I've been bitten by pit bulls, I guess.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

WarpedNaba posted:

I always went by the adage 'Don't trust an animal that weighs more than you do' and by gum it seems to have worked out.

Save for the three times I've been bitten by pit bulls, I guess.

In terms of daily risk for me it goes cars, other people, dogs. I was gonna say you don't often see roaming horses and cows in town but just remembered the time I watched through our kitchen window as a horse majestically galloped down the road.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The battle for influence in the Pacific between the world's superpowers https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/494054/the-battle-for-influence-in-the-pacific-between-the-world-s-superpowers

it seems pretty hosed up that new zealand's public broadcaster is running stories sponsored by the u.s. state department

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cptn_dr posted:

I was about to suggest that animal-chat had run its course, but now that we're poo poo-talking horses, I'm all for it.

Horses are the worst and can gently caress off.

I’m quoting this in case I need some blackmail material

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
i saw 42 new posts and assumed something interesting had happened, but no you fuckers are still talking about animals

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

i saw 42 new posts and assumed something interesting had happened, but no you fuckers are still talking about animals

Something interesting did happen, we're going to be jailing poor kids for a decade to fix child poverty and crime in one fell swoop

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

The battle for influence in the Pacific between the world's superpowers https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/494054/the-battle-for-influence-in-the-pacific-between-the-world-s-superpowers

it seems pretty hosed up that new zealand's public broadcaster is running stories sponsored by the u.s. state department

Radio free New Zealand

The article's not that bad though

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

In terms of daily risk for me it goes cars, other people, dogs. I was gonna say you don't often see roaming horses and cows in town but just remembered the time I watched through our kitchen window as a horse majestically galloped down the road.

I remember granddad used to have a horse named Cujo on the farm, never did figure out what it was for. He was too old to ride and there weren't any fields to till.

He loved his oats and apples, though. Always thought he'd bite my fingers but he never did.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

WarpedNaba posted:

I remember granddad used to have a horse named Cujo on the farm, never did figure out what it was for. He was too old to ride and there weren't any fields to till.

He loved his oats and apples, though. Always thought he'd bite my fingers but he never did.

Sounds like the best kind of horse. There are a few in a paddock down by the river and they get super excited if you come over to pat them and give them some long grass from the other side of the fence. They're like big old dogs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Stay away from downtown this morning, auckland goons. "Serious incident" that, from the number of sirens Ive heard go past, has brought in every cop in Auckland. So probably a shooter
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/494099/armed-police-respond-to-serious-incident-on-auckland-s-quay-street

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bike tory posted:

Stay away from downtown this morning, auckland goons. "Serious incident" that, from the number of sirens Ive heard go past, has brought in every cop in Auckland. So probably a shooter
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/494099/armed-police-respond-to-serious-incident-on-auckland-s-quay-street

Ferry protests

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Maybe they saw a stray dog and didn't know what to do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Word on Facebook is two dudes with shotguns

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Stay safe Auckland goons.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheSpinoffTV/status/1681766451320086529

:allears: our glorious mayor

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's like he's been algorithmically designed as the most useless repulsive fuckwit imaginable

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Countdown to blaming Labour for being soft on crime

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to "see gun control doesn't work!" from ACT supporters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Apparently the guy's been killed by police

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/police-responding-to-unfolding-incident-in-britomart-auckland/VU72UD5WX5GZJB4T6VX4AOKHEY/

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh boy, can't wait to see what sort of lone wolf, operating independently, while spouting right wing talking points and being active on neonazi forums this one turns out to be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's not really a nz thing, yet at least.

E: as in he could well be a Nazi but I would expect it to be reported like that, not least because we already have controls on guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That was already a thing on Twitter in the last hour. Also, blaming gangs for it. My block button got a workout.