Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He was wearing an EM bracelet which means he was being taken seriously by the justice system and thus was probably brown, not a white supremacist.

E: police confirming three dead, including the shooter :(

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Taitale posted:

Countdown to "see gun control doesn't work!" from ACT supporters.

Oooo, nice secondary bet

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

That's not really a nz thing, yet at least.

I mean, I saw it enough around the Christchurch fuckwit.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oooo, nice secondary bet

I’ve already seen the “gun control doesn’t work!”/“This is all Jacinda’s fault” combo post. Ban 65-year-old white men from Twitter, frankly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"No way to prevent this" says nation where this is an exceedingly rare event that doesn't occur every single day

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That's not really a nz thing, yet at least.

E: as in he could well be a Nazi but I would expect it to be reported like that, not least because we already have controls on guns

Lol what it is literally a nz thing as of last time

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

carrionman posted:

Oh boy, can't wait to see what sort of lone wolf, operating independently, while spouting right wing talking points and being active on neonazi forums this one turns out to be.

no it was the rat bag ram raiders getting even more emboldened by lack of government action

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I too can baselessly speculate online

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slavvy posted:

Lol what it is literally a nz thing as of last time

Oh, maybe I'm not reading the right awful things then.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

At the presser the PM wouldn't discuss any info about the shooter other than to confirm that there was no apparent ideological or political motivation for it, i.e. it wasn't terrorism or white supremacy or whatever.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Could just be a dipshit who lost his job there and went back mad.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to blaming Labour for being soft on crime

Yeah this is going to be the narrative all right.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300931632/auckland-cbd-shooter-was-on-home-detention-for-domestic-violence-charges

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Wild that a guy on home d for domestic violence had access to a shotgun

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Clearly the solution is less gun control :ACTsay:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Andrew Coster confirmed at a presser just now that the guy worked at the site, and they strongly suspect the shooting was related to that. The two people he killed also worked at the site.

Tone of the media questions afterwards strongly suggest this is going to be the narrative:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to blaming Labour for being soft on crime

Lots of stuff like "was it appropriate he was on home detention given his serious history of offending?", "do you have faith in the EM system?" etc.

Police had searched his property previously and he didn't have a firearms licence, so big question is who the gently caress gave him the gun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Judith

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
gengs

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bike tory posted:

Police had searched his property previously and he didn't have a firearms licence, so big question is who the gently caress gave him the gun.

If only we had a firearms regist-

Oh, well that's go-

When did it...

Oh, so there might be something in there!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ITS COMING HOOOOME

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Rabbi T. White posted:

ITS COMING HOOOOME

Your baby wrote you a letter?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Here's a fun article 'Staggering' rise in older Kiwis renting predicted it goes on to point out that "pensions were set at a level that assumed retirees owned their homes outright and did not have rent or a mortgage to pay". There is no cheap solution to this, so I can't see either major party seriously addressing it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Good thing national are going to raise the retirement age, freeze super contributions and make people drain their KiwiSaver to pay overinflated bonds. We're headed for a bright future, folks! :thumbsup:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
national is going to solve it by raising the super age actually

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Content to Hover posted:

Here's a fun article 'Staggering' rise in older Kiwis renting predicted it goes on to point out that "pensions were set at a level that assumed retirees owned their homes outright and did not have rent or a mortgage to pay". There is no cheap solution to this, so I can't see either major party seriously addressing it.

im glad. it's only fair that everyone chips in to support our mum n dad landlords

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Great grandlords gotta live too

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
85 days till election day

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Content to Hover posted:

Tax landlords and tax wealth.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Throw landlords in the sea and take their houses surely?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Tax landlords and tax wealth.

Those aren't in toolbox though

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
  • Step one is to change the age of eligibility, while unpopular it makes whichever party is in power seem proactive.
  • Step two is to do either nothing, or to create policy at the end of term so the opposition appears at fault.
  • Step three is to blame people for not putting enough into Kiwisaver.
  • Step four

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

lol someone crashed their half million dollar ferrari while driving like a dickhead

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/300933326/500k-ferrari-catches-fire-after-crash-on-major-wellington-highway

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Overheard at the MJS memorial this afternoon:

"Why does Michael Joseph and Michael Jackson have the same name?"

Frankly I think the kids onto something.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Please be Hosking please be Hosking

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

612hp, whoops

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man I hope that woman from Christchurch is okay.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
83 days till election day

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I don't like how we can't know what's gonna happen.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Confusedslight posted:

83 days till election day

Who cares

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I hope Winston can suck some of Act's supporters back and tank them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now imagining 'Winston Peters sucked me off???' with a Seymour soyface thumbnail