Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

This is pre-crazy, that book's pushing 50.

still lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's really kind of shocking the difference between the Dawkins who wrote The Selfish Gene and Unweaving the Rainbow (which was always my favorite of his back when I read him like 20 years ago, a hopeful look at the intersection of science and artistic wonder) and the one that got his brain obliterated by the popularity/infamy the internet afforded him. That "Dear Muslima" post is still one of the most blindingly repugnant things I've ever read

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Everything that lives in the ocean should stay in the ocean and we should not interact with it.

Do inland salmon farms count because I need my philadelphia rolls

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

PetraCore posted:

Portuguese Man-o-War, you can see why it gets compared to a jellyfish a lot but when you actually look at it there's none of the radial symmetry and other bodily structures of actual 'medusa' jellyfish. I think they look kind of like art glass sculptures.
They hurt like a bitch if you step on them, I can tell you that much.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Everything that lives in the ocean should stay in the ocean and we should not interact with it.

Should have stopped going in there after we discovered shrimp and salmon.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Zero_Grade posted:

They hurt like a bitch if you step on them, I can tell you that much.

I've never lived near the ocean and have only heard stories about people getting stung by jellyfish washed up on shore. Then I went on vacation to the coast this year and saw a man o war washed up on the beach and I have to say, there was a real actual desire to touch that fuckin thing. I did not because I'm not completely dumb, but they just look so loving mess-with-able.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

If you're not on BlueSky, dril just picked up his posting, and there is a whole contingent of people insisting NO, WE ARE NOT LETTING HIM IN, HE CANNOT DO THIS HERE, WE WILL STOP HIM

And the main motivation: that time he told everyone to block Twitter Blue users.

How is it working? Well, he's the second-most-followed non-admin account, so...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything I care less about than sex workers' right to have me see their replies to The Intercept's Twitter account.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

disaster pastor posted:

If you're not on BlueSky, dril just picked up his posting, and there is a whole contingent of people insisting NO, WE ARE NOT LETTING HIM IN, HE CANNOT DO THIS HERE, WE WILL STOP HIM

And the main motivation: that time he told everyone to block Twitter Blue users.

There’s a critical platform/user fit issue here. Bluesky devs are all gonna be like “just spin up your own Dril-free instance!” but the people complaining aren’t entirely capable of making coffee at home.

Bluesky looks like twitter, and that’s the entire selling point to most users, the underlying technology doesn’t figure in their choices, whereas the underlying technology is pretty much the entire point for the people running the show.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like it's blueticks themselves that make people want to block them, rather than being primarily the result of one shitposter.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

disaster pastor posted:

If I used a platform for advertising, and the platform owners grouped me with the content everyone was blocking because it was dogshit, I would personally hold a grudge against the platform owners, not users who blocked the dogshit.

e: I'm also pretty sure no one actually lost business because of bluecheck blocking scripts.
If anything cut their traffick from twitter to their OF or whatever it's probably the changes twitter made to their adult content filter and backend changes.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jul 19, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't help but think you wouldn't be blocking all these blue check takes if you didn't think there was some truth to them!

Didn't Elon briefly try to ban people who were doing that? Like there was a timed cooldown on new blocks and if you exceeded it your account would get in trouble?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, the things that live in the ocean do stay there; it's up to you to keep up your side of the deal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

steinrokkan posted:

Well, the things that live in the ocean do stay there; it's up to you to keep up your side of the deal.

Sorry. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People still use bluesky? It couldn't scale up in time for when it was needed, it’s absolutely dead in the water.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm still seeing people i follow announce that they're on bsky now but i can't see if they're actually active on there since you still can't see poo poo without an invite

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Still gonna use it since Threads is actively user hostile.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

steinrokkan posted:

Trust me, I keep as much distance as I can from the ocean while living on an island, but everyone else keeps wanting to touch the loving thing.

"oh boy we discovered a new kind of worm that eats bones and lives in pure darkness"

"I sure can't wait to dive into undrinkable salt water and touch a rock covered in horrible living things that man was not meant to know of!"

gently caress the ocean.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

Trust me, I keep as much distance as I can from the ocean while living on an island, but everyone else keeps wanting to touch the loving thing.

"oh boy we discovered a new kind of worm that eats bones and lives in pure darkness"

"I sure can't wait to dive into undrinkable salt water and touch a rock covered in horrible living things that man was not meant to know of!"

gently caress the ocean.

Buddy,

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
nuke the ocean from orbit goon sirrah

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Nothing gets me going like a puffy, swollen stamen just waiting to get your hand sticky the moment you touch it

Bee posting detected.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm interested in having big gay slapfights online.

Pounded in the butt by goons.xls

steinrokkan posted:

Somebody has never had to deal with otters, eh?

B33rChiller has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Jul 19, 2023

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No one knows what a chestnut is they all died.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Sure, it's those big dancing guys from the '93 Mario movie

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Chestnuts are professional hotdog eaters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heath posted:

It's really kind of shocking the difference between the Dawkins who wrote The Selfish Gene and Unweaving the Rainbow (which was always my favorite of his back when I read him like 20 years ago, a hopeful look at the intersection of science and artistic wonder) and the one that got his brain obliterated by the popularity/infamy the internet afforded him. That "Dear Muslima" post is still one of the most blindingly repugnant things I've ever read

It's a drat shame we lost Stephen Jay Gould instead of Dawkins.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Gotta nuke something.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Shot:
https://twitter.com/Melanie_Vogel_/status/1647352302171308036

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/Melanie_Vogel_/status/1673719545993863169

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Heath posted:

say what you want about modern dawkins but hes still one of the greatest twitter posters of all time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

We've tried nuking the ocean. It's still there.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/pissvortex/status/1681740378825736194?t=2Z5il59ycDX_f1KAocYEhg&s=19

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
pretty hosed up and entitled that the funny person has more followers than me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why are the bluesky users all insufferable turbo-checkmarks? They could have stayed on Twitter just fine if this is their vision for social media.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They got into the club, but they're grumpy because they're still not entitled to a sizeable following. They basically think ground floor users should be royalty without needing to say anything interesting or insightful.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

personally i can't identify any of the transformer robots

That's unfortunate.

Here, to help you out, this one here is called Slag.

He's a Dinobot.

You're welcome.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

grittyreboot posted:

They got into the club, but they're grumpy because they're still not entitled to a sizeable following. They basically think ground floor users should be royalty without needing to say anything interesting or insightful.

Yeah this is also the self selected most online foks who had to be on twitter2 during the beta. We're also seeing the notable stuff, not just like some folks talking to their pals about pet videos and wrestling gifs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

these are the only guys i can identify

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's unfortunate.

He's a Dinobot.

You're welcome.

Not to be confused with Dinobot, who's not a dinobot.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Dawkins fell off the deep end starting with the whole new atheist thing. I could totally see that combination of fame (his God Delusion book and public profile were huge) and the audience capture of an awful fan base (internet atheists) could really corrupt someone’s judgment, values, and ultimately behaviour in the world.

But as far as I understand Dawkins’ contributions to evolutionary biology were actually first-rate and generational, to the point where the history of biology could reasonably include reading up about Dawkins as a figure alongside Darwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's unfortunate.

He's a Dinobot.

You're welcome.

His name is Slug now. Please do not mislead other posters.