Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

pronouncing "chat" in the title in French
if you pronounce the whole thing in french you’re saying “cat, i farted”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

never thought about that before but lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

jesus WEP posted:

lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Beeftweeter posted:

the visual reasoning portion of that paper is interesting (and lol, spotted a typo)

i'm surprised that it was able to solve that at all, but it's also interesting that it became unable to. i wonder what changes they've been making to it, and if that kind of test was included in the training data, why can't it solve it now? if it was already exposed to the test and trains on input, shouldn't it be able to "remember" the answer?

i’ll be honest man idk if i could solve it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

goblin week posted:

it's pretty easy lol. you just put the nearest tiles into a row of 3. they're already in order

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

goblin week posted:

right, but more importantly, do you think you could have solved it in march?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

it's pretty easy lol. you just put the nearest tiles into a row of 3. they're already in order

Looking at the mistake it made, looks like it's mixing up similar colors. Could be compression or something like that, another cost saving back end change.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bubble

quote:

Netflix just axed its basic ad-free plan in the US and UK

After Netflix dropped its cheapest ad-free plan in Canada last month, it’s now doing the same in the US and UK, as first spotted by Cord Busters. Netflix’s support page in both countries states that the $9.99 (£6.99) / month basic plan is no longer available “for new or rejoining members.”

If you’re already subscribed to the basic plan, you can keep the subscription as long as you don’t cancel it or change plans. But if you were looking to downgrade your Netflix subscription to a cheaper ad-free plan, you’re out of luck. With this change, Netflix now only offers a $6.99 (£4.99) / month ad-supported tier, the $15.49 (£10.99) / month standard plan, and the $19.99 (£15.99) / month premium plan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/netflix-just-axed-its-basic-ad-free-plan-in-the-us-and-uk/ar-AA1e4wXe?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bubble

quote:

U.S. antitrust enforcers tackle digital platforms in new merger guidelines

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - New draft guidelines released by U.S. antitrust enforcers on Wednesday lay the groundwork for tougher scrutiny of planned mergers by Big Tech companies like Amazon.com and Alphabet's Google.

The Biden administration has taken a tougher stance on mergers, filing some aggressive challenges. It had two court losses just last week. Several challenges go before judges in the next few months, including the Justice Department's fight against JetBlue's purchase of Spirit.

The 51 pages of guidelines by the Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission described, without naming them, deals like Amazon.com's purchases of video doorbell Ring in 2018, and said the antitrust agencies should scrutinize them.

"A platform operator that is also a platform participant has a conflict of interest from the incentive to give its own products and services an advantage against other competitors participating on the platform, harming competition," the draft guidelines say.

The draft also specifies that a merger should not eliminate a potential entrant in a concentrated market or create a situation in which a firm buys a company that provides inputs for the acquirer's competitors.

The Biden administration's antitrust enforcement has highlighted labor issues, and the guidelines reflect that.

"Where a merger between employers may substantially lessen competition for workers, that reduction in labor market competition may lower wages or slow wage growth, worsen benefits or working conditions," the guidelines say.

The guidelines reflect how the FTC and Justice Department currently enforce laws against illegal mergers, which would replace guidelines from 2010 on companies buying competitors and 2020 guidelines on companies merging with suppliers.

President Joe Biden urged that the guidelines be updated in a mid-2021 executive order. They will be open for comment for 60 days before they are finalized.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That sounds like a copy of regulations that other less dumb countries have been introducing but I'm sure they'll be completely watered down before the final version and then immediately found unconstitutional

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

great, i'm in the process of cancelling subscriptions i don't use or getting cheaper versions of the ones i do. looks like the excuse i finally need to cancel netflix, which i use less than once a month

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I dumped netflix because I couldn't share it with my parents and I'm not giving them a 2FA code every month or whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

netflix has been doing a great job convincing everyone to cancel

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

mystes posted:

netflix has been doing a great job convincing everyone to cancel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

skooma512 posted:

I dumped netflix because I couldn't share it with my parents and I'm not giving them a 2FA code every month or whatever.

where was that site that found all the webcams pointed at rsa keys

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm itching to see their Q2 subscriber numbers. This is hellworld so all the paypigs all dutifully got their own accounts I'm sure, but perhaps maybe the "cancel every show, raise the price, and turn off sharing" strategy actually pissed enough people off.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there was something posted a little while back, supposedly they've been having record signups. i find it hard to believe all of those people have no problem with ads on a service that was ad-free from its inception but people are very stupid and seem to spend money on all sorts of crap i can't wrap my head around

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
you'd expect a big spike in signups after they clamped down on account sharing; their total viewer hours probably went down. in an ad-free model this is a pure win: higher profit, lower operating costs. in an ad-supported model it might be worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

skooma512 posted:

same. i had the highest plan they offered for nearly a decade and they made that basically worthless, so gently caress em.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

there was something posted a little while back, supposedly they've been having record signups. i find it hard to believe all of those people have no problem with ads on a service that was ad-free from its inception but people are very stupid and seem to spend money on all sorts of crap i can't wrap my head around
I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff they're doing caused a temporary increase because a bunch of people who were sharing accounts signed up, but I'll be interested to see if they start gradually losing more subscribers because people decide it's now expensive enough that it isn't worth paying for, at least all the time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for the same price as the good netflix plan you can get disney plus, hulu w/no-ads and espn+

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah netflix with or without ads is expensive and doesn't really have much new compelling content

i can absolutely see there being a spike in signups, especially if there's a free trial. i wonder how many of those are paying customers. since you can stop paying and "deactivate" the account (but keep it active) i bet they're still counting those as retained

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i recently canceled my netflix subscription because i stopped watching as much tv. my wife's cousin recently visited and they somehow re-subscribed to netflix on my account using the firestick in the basement. i've been owned by tech.

i canceled it again of course.

also lol netflix won't let me delete the card on file, so i just changed the cvv code hopefully this won't happen to me again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol welp

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jul/19/netflix-subscriber-growth-password-sharing

quote:

Netflix gains more new subscribers than expected following password-sharing crackdown

Streaming giant added 5.9 million new subscribers in last three months after clamping down on users sharing accounts

Netflix added 5.9 million new subscribers in the last three months – almost three times as many as analysts expected – after clamping down on households that were sharing their passwords.

The streaming giant is the first of the big tech and media companies to unveil their latest quarterly results. The figures come as the industry has been hit by strikes from writers and actors – the first time both unions have walked out since the 1960s.

Announcing its latest quarterly finances, Netflix said it had made a profit of $1.8bn over the quarter on revenues of $8.3bn. Analysts had expected Netflix to add around 2m new households over the last three months as people who had shared the service free opted to pay for their own accounts.

According to the company more than 100m households have been participating in password sharing.

5.9/100 million aint bad, but that's still gotta sting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Netflix said it had made a profit of $1.8bn over the quarter on revenues of $8.3bn
but they absolutely can't spend another 200 mil to compensate writers and actors

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

but they absolutely can't spend another 200 mil to compensate writers and actors

sorry, gotta spend it all on AI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

old people screaming at the clouds yelling "BIG TECH!!!" while consumers are actively being devastated by real, actual collusion/gouging in food and healthcare

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i cannot believe there are people paying for netflix

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

old people screaming at the clouds yelling "BIG TECH!!!" while consumers are actively being devastated by real, actual collusion/gouging in food and healthcare

The only reason anybody trashes a grocery store is because a beer company did a custom can design for one trans person, didn't even attempt to sell it in stores.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

i agree that should be a focus, but big tech mergers are absolutely a problem too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well when a problematic one shows up they can take a look at it but until then they should focus on actual problems

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the ftc is a large agency, it can work on several things at once and periodically add new ones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i would prefer some of the things it works on to be worth while

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's too late for them to do anything about crap like leveraged buyouts and the accumulation of everything under private equity groups and they just got their rear end kicked on the most transparently anticompetitive acquisition deal of the last decade

mystes
May 31, 2006

They probably don't have a legal basis to block leveraged buyouts and expecting the us to pass new laws to stop bad things is highly unrealistic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

it's too late for them to do anything about crap like leveraged buyouts and the accumulation of everything under private equity groups and they just got their rear end kicked on the most transparently anticompetitive acquisition deal of the last decade

its not at all anticompetitive unless you consider sony having competition as anticompetitive

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Shaggar posted:

its not at all anticompetitive unless you consider sony having competition as anticompetitive

lol I read this and went back and then was like …huh, what? I bet this is a Shaggar post.

and you know what, reader. it was. but please explain why people having to buy an extra system to play a very popular game is good, I love watching contortionists

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Was just at a hospital for a scheduled visit, and found their parking garage removed the ticket dispensers and credit card machines and replaced it with an app. There were signs everywhere telling you to scan the QR code, associate your license place to your phone number, add a payment method, etc etc. I started going through the process but I got to the point where I had to agree to binding arbitration (again, to park at a hospital) and gave up.

I asked how to pay if you didn't have a phone and they directed me to some people in the little room where the (presumably laid off) cashier used to be. It was clearly people from the app company walking people through how to bring up the QR code that gets you out. I explained, they looked at me like I was a loon for not just tapping next next finish and ran my card through an ipad. Are they going to be there next time? Is there really no alternative way to pay? You must own a smartphone and send your data to some company in order to PARK AT A HOSPITAL? What the gently caress is wrong with people?

edit: these are the rentseekers: https://www.metropolis.io/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they have apps for water fountains, elevators, and restrooms, why wouldn't they have an app for parking at a hospital? what are you going to do, not park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Enderzero posted:

and you know what, reader. it was. but please explain why people having to buy an extra system to play a very popular game is good, I love watching contortionists

explain why owning a playstation gives you the right to play any given game