Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the_steve posted:

Didn't they do a comic reboot where it was more modern? Like, Willow was already out and a lot more confident because she had access to online support groups and resources that 1997 Willow wouldn't have had access to?

Yes. It was... OK? But then the aforementioned Whedon poo poo came out and I dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Asgerd posted:

Darkseid however is not.

Differences between Marvel Santa and DC Santa I guess, Thanos of course respects the holiday:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't there supposed to be a Whedon property with something like, 'Girls with superhuman abilities in Victorian England'? I remember seeing commercials for it, then nothing. Did anything come of that?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GreenMetalSun posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a Whedon property with something like, 'Girls with superhuman abilities in Victorian England'? I remember seeing commercials for it, then nothing. Did anything come of that?

Yeah, The Nevers. Had issues with COVID and HBO as well I think?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GreenMetalSun posted:

They made two seasons but took Whedon’s name off of it. Just more waifish girls with long limbs who can do high kicks and are emotionally tortured for the viewer’s pleasure. Also there are a lot of orgies for victorian times.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Arivia posted:

And that’s after you sobbed like a child at ”Can I see Fred one last time?”

"Would you like me to lie to you? :cry:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I AM GRANDO posted:

They made two seasons but took Whedon’s name off of it. Just more waifish girls with long limbs who can do high kicks and are emotionally tortured for the viewer’s pleasure. Also there are a lot of orgies for victorian times.

Somewhere some scholar is feverishly plotting average number of orgies by historical period on a chart labeled by the sex and y axises

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
See I want all of that but no emotional torture I can't relate to characters that have problems.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Talking about Buffy without talking about how Xander was the loving worst, I can't believe it.

Kchama has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jul 20, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He was Joss's self-insert, so it's implied.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xander's universally-agreed awfulness is so complete in 2023 that I actually feel bad for the actor (who seems to be a very troubled guy irl), and almost want to push back like "yeah Xander is the worst but there's an outline of something that almost makes sense as a necessary element of the show."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He was Joss's self-insert, so it's implied.

which is weird because he directed an insane level of abuse at Nicholas Brenden

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Narcissist bully hates himself most of all big surprise

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Xander and his sense of humor was heavily based off of Chandler (from Friends) as well as his look (brown haired white guy in his 20s) which is why they’re named so similarly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Miss Xanandler Bong

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Xander and his sense of humor was heavily based off of Chandler (from Friends) as well as his look (brown haired white guy in his 20s) which is why they’re named so similarly.

Sorry Slayer. The hunt was rigged from the start. *gunshot* FALLOUT: NEW SUNNYVALE

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

which is weird because he directed an insane level of abuse at Nicholas Brenden

Which sucks as the actor was actually good, I just think they made him play a real piece of poo poo that the show didn't recognize as being awful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mind the walrus posted:

Xander's universally-agreed awfulness is so complete in 2023 that I actually feel bad for the actor (who seems to be a very troubled guy irl), and almost want to push back like "yeah Xander is the worst but there's an outline of something that almost makes sense as a necessary element of the show."

My favorite thing about him was that he was an army man for a little bit so he had army man knowledge, like an RPG character

"Ooh! GM, can I use my army man knowledge check? I get +2 to knowledge checks on military... stuff."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know, the guy's been a domestic abuser for many years, allegedly.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My favorite thing about him was that he was an army man for a little bit so he had army man knowledge, like an RPG character

"Ooh! GM, can I use my army man knowledge check? I get +2 to knowledge checks on military... stuff."

He basically knew the contents of the local army base (because he raided it while he was magically turned into Rambo) and that's it. Led to one of the best scenes of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He also knew how to work a rocket launcher a season later. I like that the show treated evens in one-off episodes like they had lasting consequences for the characters. They handled the “why don’t they just call x” question a few times too with Buffy’s army guy ex-boyfriend.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah it's hard to separate the good aspects of Buffy from the horrible armpit odor of Whedon but like, it did have them. Those were real and did make waves that are still felt.

The rocket launcher thing was cute too-- "this demon cannot be killed by any weapon made by man" "this was written 500 years ago, are we sure it's comprehensive?" /cue rocket launcher blowing the demon up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
"That was then, this is now."

That actually was the scene I was thinking about. I just forgot about Xander there since Buffy did the rocketing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Narcissist bully hates himself most of all big surprise

Allegedly the bullying was because Brendan dared getting swole and thus ruining the doughy self insert aspect of Xander (and forcing Whedon to come up with a narrative reason for Xander being buff now, hence his construction job).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kchama posted:

That actually was the scene I was thinking about. I just forgot about Xander there since Buffy did the rocketing.
I thought it might have been the time Buffy, under the effects of a spell, tried to use it to murder the school principal. That was an amusing callback.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Allegedly the bullying was because Brendan dared getting swole and thus ruining the doughy self insert aspect of Xander (and forcing Whedon to come up with a narrative reason for Xander being buff now, hence his construction job).

Isn't there an episode early on where he joins the swim team and there are a bunch of shirtless shots of him (that made it into the opening titles etc)?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Xander's role was kind of interesting once Oz left, since it left him as a token normie tag-along in a group of superpowered women (and also Giles, but he tended to be more passive.)

But of course the show was structured so that Xander actually got to contribute a fair bit despite constantly making jokes about his uselessness, so in classic Whedon fashion the subtext of this female empowerment scenario wound up being "women need literal magical powers to measure up to one schlub whose only noteworthy trait is having a penis."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the holy poopacy posted:

Xander's role was kind of interesting once Oz left, since it left him as a token normie tag-along in a group of superpowered women (and also Giles, but he tended to be more passive.)
Giles also had all kinds of secret knowledge (including the ability to do actual magic when required). And Oz was a werewolf. Xander really was the only normal human in the group. Although several of them started out that way, I think he might have been the only one who made it all the way to the end without becoming some sort of supernatural creature or gaining some kind of magical power?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

But of course the show was structured so that Xander actually got to contribute a fair bit despite constantly making jokes about his uselessness, so in classic Whedon fashion the subtext of this female empowerment scenario wound up being "women need literal magical powers to measure up to one schlub whose only noteworthy trait is having a penis."

I felt the reverse, that after the characters left high school at the end of season 3 they had absolutely no idea what to do with Xander and gave him gently caress-all to do until his wedding plotline, at which point I wish they still had no idea what to do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tiggum posted:

Giles also had all kinds of secret knowledge (including the ability to do actual magic when required). And Oz was a werewolf. Xander really was the only normal human in the group. Although several of them started out that way, I think he might have been the only one who made it all the way to the end without becoming some sort of supernatural creature or gaining some kind of magical power?

Cordelia was normal until partway into Angel, then she inherited...what was it? The premonitions from the one demon guy or something?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

the_steve posted:

Cordelia was normal until partway into Angel, then she inherited...what was it? The premonitions from the one demon guy or something?

Yeah part way though the first season they were writing out that character and it was convenient to give the premonitions to her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah part way though the first season they were writing out that character and it was convenient to give the premonitions to her.

They didn't write the character out; the actor died suddenly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I see the read but I think you're reaching for it. Buffy as a show and the character of Xander suck for much more obvious reasons-- he's an entitled prick the first three seasons and in the back half his role as "the heart" feels a bit forced outside of when he talks Willow of the edge, but other than that his uselessness is a punchline and after getting a proper girlfriend he mostly blends into the background choir.

Jedit posted:

I think he died shortly after leaving the show, which he left because of hardcore alcoholism. Either way yeah that character was out early and they mostly did a good job expanding the premonition gimmick with Cordelia, until Charisma Carpenter got pregnant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

The actor died in 2002 and his character died a heroic death in 1999.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I see the read but I think you're reaching for it. Buffy as a show and the character of Xander suck for much more obvious reasons-- he's an entitled prick the first three seasons and in the back half his role as "the heart" feels a bit forced outside of when he talks Willow of the edge.

I think he died shortly after leaving the show, which he left because of hardcore alcoholism. Either way yeah that character was out early and they mostly did a good job expanding the premonition gimmick with Cordelia, until Charisma Carpenter got pregnant.

He's still an entitled prick in the back half, which is why he takes part in couping Buffy the way he does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The actor died in 2002 and his character died a heroic death in 1999.

You're right, I only half remembered it and walrus has remembered it (almost) correctly - they had to let Quinn go because of his drug problems, but he didn't die of an OD until several years later. Either way, it was an enforced rewrite.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kchama posted:

He's still an entitled prick in the back half, which is why he takes part in couping Buffy the way he does.

I mean, everyone coups Buffy there, and it's fairly understandable why they do that-- Xander also literally loses an eye in the process after years of fights where they never lose anything, so an element of innocence that he frankly should have lost years ago has finally come home and he's doing what he can to feel a sense of control is a hopeless situation.

I think I'm soft on the character because I recognize and remember that adolescent part of me that was also an entitled prick, and really wish one of Whedon's writers could have dug into that better. Like I don't approve of Xander as a character, but I think that the archetype has educational, comedic, and dramatic value if utilized properly-- which he was not. If the show had come out even a few years later they could have done some really, really funny work with "the ladder theory." I can see that way too clearly in my head.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I mean, everyone coups Buffy there, and it's fairly understandable why they do that-- Xander also literally loses an eye in the process after years of fights where they never lose anything, so an element of innocence that he frankly should have lost years ago has finally come home and he's doing what he can to feel a sense of control is a hopeless situation.

I think I'm soft on the character because I recognize and remember that adolescent part of me that was also an entitled prick, and really wish one of Whedon's writers could have dug into that better. Like I don't approve of Xander as a character, but I think that the archetype has educational, comedic, and dramatic value if utilized properly-- which he was not. If the show had come out even a few years later they could have done some really, really funny work with "the ladder theory." I can see that way too clearly in my head.

He was in his twenties at the time. It was understandable for the rookie Slayers whose first foray into combat went awful. The myth of the unbeatable Slayer was shattered and they thought she was misleading them.

But Xander's been in that sort of thing for ages and was actually an adult.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're not wrong, but when you consider that they went through literally hundreds of fights and almost always came out completely unscathed you do have to consider the long-term effect that has on a psyche, even a grown adult. Then couple that with a real physical health loss, probably for the first time in his life. I don't care how mature you think you are, when that sense of mortality and fragility and "oh that's never coming back" actually hits for the very first time, it hits hard. There's a reason people say "you don't really know someone until you've seen them very sick, very poor, and how they interact with people who can offer them nothing."

Now add onto it that this was the latest in a long line of struggling failures against an enemy that only seems to grow in power, complete with the actual deaths of children, and the entire rest of the room is chiming in on how yeah the root problem was a failure of leadership.

Emotional reactions like that can and do happen and you kind-of want those in fictional characters. That's what makes the moment sell.

Like Xander's character sucks, no two ways about it, but that moment is understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kchama posted:

He was in his twenties at the time. It was understandable for the rookie Slayers whose first foray into combat went awful. The myth of the unbeatable Slayer was shattered and they thought she was misleading them.

But Xander's been in that sort of thing for ages and was actually an adult.

Yeah sure but then her plan is to just go right back in after they all got utterly brutalised, including her and she doesn't explain why it's going to go differently. I mean, it's not like the plan needs his say so or not anyway, the people who are actually going to be going aren't down so it's not going to happen anyway but he's pretty within his rights to say "doesn't seem to be a great one to me".

I think that final season biffs it quite hard in a lot of ways, they should have built up there being tension in the group the whole season and cranking up the pressure, actually making it seem like it's an unwinnable, pointless fight that Buffy is trying to win. The coup scene in isolation makes sense to me though.

I think Xander actually gets it a bit too hard in the other way these days. Like at the time people pointing out his toxic masculinity and entitlement were in the minority (I assume, that kinda thing, or at least that way of talking about it wasn't remotely on my radar when I was 14), now going back it's extremely obvious of course and a teenager being like that is also real but he's not that 100% of the time, realistically in my opinion. He has moments of sweetness and camaraderie as well and grows into a pretty decent character who has it relatively together, living in a nice apartment with a job he's actually good at. Deciding not to go through with a marriage he's not entirely sure about is relatively mature for example, he just does it extremely badly and then it gets way worse. Also happened in the season where the writers were working out their personal issues and putting every character through the depressive misery simulator.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jul 20, 2023