Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

redshirt posted:

That's Star Trek though, is it not? Forget realism, it's about an optimism about our future. And that first episode of SNW was optimism defined.

No, I don't think so. TNG did try to make some sort of sense. Picard solving everything with a speech is a caricature of the show, not the actuality.

Ultimately, I guess I just don't yet trust the show to understand why the old stuff was good, so I am skeptical that even a ripoff is going to turn out all that well. Still, I like Pike quite a bit. He's doing a lot of that "drat the regulations" stuff that people incorrectly attribute to Kirk. Having him face some actual consequences for that could be interesting as long as they don't just redo A Measure of a Man with Number One instead of Data.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Episode: *depicts World War 3 starting in the very near future; multiple cities are shown disappearing under nuclear hellfire*
Goons: "Such pure, inspiring optimism!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

thotsky posted:

No, I don't think so. TNG did try to make some sort of sense. Picard solving everything with a speech is a caricature of the show, not the actuality.

Ultimately, I guess I just don't yet trust the show to understand why the old stuff was good, so I am skeptical that even a ripoff is going to turn out all that well. Still, I like Pike quite a bit. He's doing a lot of that "drat the regulations" stuff that people incorrectly attribute to Kirk. Having him face some actual consequences for that could be interesting as long as they don't just redo A Measure of a Man with Number One instead of Data.

Id say our memories of TNG or TOS are also caricatures of the shows, and not the actuality. Thus SNW might be more "Trek" then your memories of Trek.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

redshirt posted:

Id say our memories of TNG or TOS are also caricatures of the shows, and not the actuality. Thus SNW might be more "Trek" then your memories of Trek.

They could have had the episode address the material concerns behind the conflict. Like, even in the TNG episode they're cribbing a lot from here, where Riker disguises himself as an alien, gets discovered, and Picard has to reveal the enterprise and have this rousing and reasoned talk with the liberal president of a near-warp species. In the end that society decides they're just not ready yet. The "optimism" is very measured.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 19, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Episode: *depicts World War 3 starting in the very near future; multiple cities are shown disappearing under nuclear hellfire*

"Things get really, really bad before they get better" has been a thing in Trek from the beginning

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

thotsky posted:

They could have had the episode address the material concerns behind the conflict. Like, even in the TNG episode they're cribbing a lot from here, where Riker disguises himself as an alien, gets discovered, and Picard has to reveal the enterprise and have this rousing and reasoned talk with the liberal president of a near-warp species. In the end that society decides they're just not ready yet. The "optimism" is very measured.

I feel like they did. The two sides had been in conflict for generations. One side got access to warp technology and made a bomb of it. The world was thus on the brink of destruction because of the inadvertent influence of the Federation.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Star Trek is a well known franchise depicting the events of only the near future and never talking about an ideal or vision for what happens after those events.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Like, I am not saying they had to take the obvious route of having this world unite over their fear and hatred of the new threat that The Federation presents, but give us some meaningful reason for why this state, which has a long history of suppressing its enemy, and now has the means to do so, won't just go ahead and do that.

We have tons of scientists and leaders telling us right now that we're going to kill ourselves with climate change and nobody gives a poo poo. We have lots of historical examples of the horrors of war and yet we keep having them. What is is about The Enterprise, or Pike, or The Federation, that turns these people around?

The utopia of Star Trek's Earth is not something that came about because someone showed up and made a somewhat flippant speech while at the brink of war. We're told again and again in classic Star Trek that it came about after repeated disasters and tons od social progress. It was hard fought, and it requires vigilance not to slip back into those old patterns. Yes, there's an undeniable optimism in Star Trek and that is part of what makes it great, but setting this situation up, making a short speech and cutting to a 10 second montage of a society having turned things around is still silly.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 20, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thotsky posted:

as long as they don't just redo A Measure of a Man with Number One instead of Data.

redshirt posted:

You make it sound like people haven't watched these shows since they literally aired on broadcast television. I've seen both of them in full within the last three months and I agree with thotsky.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

thotsky posted:

Like, I am not saying they had to take the obvious route of having this world unite over their fear and hatred of the new threat that The Federation presents, but give us some meaningful reason for why this state, which has a long history of suppressing its enemy, and now has the means to do so, won't just go ahead and do that.

We have tons of scientists and leaders telling us right now that we're going to kill ourselves with climate change and nobody gives a poo poo. We have lots of historical examples of the horrors of war and yet we keep having them. What is is about The Enterprise, or Pike, or The Federation, that turns these people around?

The utopia of Star Trek's Earth is not something that came about because someone showed up and made a somewhat flippant speech while at the brink of war. We're told again and again in classic Star Trek that it was extremely hard fought, and that it requires constant vigilance not to slip back into those old patterns. Yes, there's an undeniable optimism in Trek and that is great, but making a speech and cutting to a 10 second montage of a society having turned things around is still silly.

So you'd prefer gritty realism? The acceptance that there's no way we'll come together to solve the world's problems?

Because I agree with that, realistically. Just saying the Trek future is different. Not ours.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

You make it sound like people haven't watched these shows since they literally aired on broadcast television. I've seen both of them in full within the last three months and I agree with thotsky.

Thank you for your service.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

redshirt posted:

So you'd prefer gritty realism? The acceptance that there's no way we'll come together to solve the world's problems?

Because I agree with that, realistically. Just saying the Trek future is different. Not ours.

There's a ton of ways to improve it. If you want to make your point about this being a MAD scenario, at least have a scene where Pike reveals that there are in fact two warp signatures on the planet. The rebels also have the bomb!

You want to break the prime directive? Identify what the material conditions underlying the conflict is about. Have Pike give them the tech to address it, have that inevitably blow up in both factions faces because of the missing social progress, then do your rousing speech. End on a sad, but hopeful note that they've taken their first steps towards the light.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

a society smart enough to figure out antimatter bombs from watching ufos fly around, but too dumb to invent a-bombs

honestly S1E1 had strong pilot energy, its probably not a good standard to judge SNW on either way. It might actually be best compared to "A Piece of the Action" in terms of plot....

I like the rest of S1 a lot better.

Stargate SG-1 did the 'locals gaining power with offworld tech or potentially so' plot a bunch of times and i think all of them were better than S1E1. Well, most of them.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 20, 2023

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Everyone knows Star Trek doesn't start getting good until Season 3.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

The Trek future is literally post-apocalyptic. We do come together to solve the world's problems, after unleashing a wave of nuclear hellfire that almost destroys civilization entirely. First one, then the other. Acknowledging that, and how severely dysfunctional things must've been in the time leading up to that breaking point, isn't "gritty" realism. It just means that addressing those kinds of enormous problems should take more work than a fancy powerpoint presentation.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I always thought it was funny how Riker says in FC “Most of the major cities destroyed, few governments left…600 million dead…”

That number should probably be a lot higher right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The Trek future is literally post-apocalyptic. We do come together to solve the world's problems, after unleashing a wave of nuclear hellfire that almost destroys civilization entirely. First one, then the other. Acknowledging that, and how severely dysfunctional things must've been in the time leading up to that breaking point, isn't "gritty" realism. It just means that addressing those kinds of enormous problems should take more work than a fancy powerpoint presentation.

And in SNW, they are many years from that reality. Hence their actions.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So somehow, while yelling about how they came out of their apocalypse, and that struggle, like doesn't acknowledge the aftermath of the apocalypse, and their struggle

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

So somehow, while yelling about how they came out of their apocalypse, and that struggle, like doesn't acknowledge the aftermath of the apocalypse, and their struggle

Well the Vulcans really solved all the issues, didn't they?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I liked the guy that played Tosk, he was very good at being a lizard man

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

alexandriao posted:

Was it ever made clear whether or not Data's sex parts functioned when he was in pieces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I liked the guy that played Tosk, he was very good at being a lizard man

Yeah he was a pretty neat character.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Well, yeah.

The idea of optimism is no matter how bad or poo poo things get, we can make it better. Trek is showing them literally going through worse than we have, and still somehow getting better from that

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Ferenginar Liquidators

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thotsky posted:

Id imagine it was the guy who literally apparated in front of them showing them a future and telling them to not do a war,

If Zeus showed up and said the same thing I think people would listen too

thotsky posted:

The utopia of Star Trek's Earth is not something that came about because someone showed up and made a somewhat flippant speech while at the brink of war.

I mean, canonically in Trek the defining moment that brought humanity together was first contact with the Vulcans

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Well, yeah.

The idea of optimism is no matter how bad or poo poo things get, we can make it better. Trek is showing them literally going through worse than we have, and still somehow getting better from that

Right? They were a world about to destroy itself. Because of our warp tech.
That's why Pike intervened.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

First of May posted:

Everyone knows Star Trek doesn't start getting good until Season 3.

This is a flat-out falsehood. The original series has the best first season of all Trek and it isn't even close. DS9's first season is more good than bad. Lower Decks was firing on all cylinders by the third episode. Prodigy was fire right out of the gate. I'm cooler on Strange New Worlds' first season than most, but it's still above-average.

It's TNG, Voyager and Enterprise that faceplanted at the start. TNG recovered in season 3, Voyager didn't begin becoming even passably mediocre until season 4 and Enterprise never even got to "average;" the much-lauded season 4 is coated in fanwank.

Picard and Discovery never got good.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thotsky posted:

There's a ton of ways to improve it. If you want to make your point about this being a MAD scenario, at least have a scene where Pike reveals that there are in fact two warp signatures on the planet. The rebels also have the bomb!

You want to break the prime directive? Identify what the material conditions underlying the conflict is about. Have Pike give them the tech to address it, have that inevitably blow up in both factions faces because of the missing social progress, then do your rousing speech. End on a sad, but hopeful note that they've taken their first steps towards the light.

You're forgetting that this is an antidote to literally almost 10+ seasons of grimdark Trek.

The first episode isn't meant to be a good episode it is meant to set the tone and cadence for the rest of the show and be a somewhat perhaps parodied example of that to show executives and writers and the audience the direction they want to take. A more subtle approach would not have worked in the cultural context because fans who followed Trek religiously were loving exhausted by the constant unrelenting "maybe things will be better, OH WAIT gently caress YOU THEY'LL BE poo poo".

It was important to show pure, undistilled, even naive optimism in the first episode because it was a direct counter to hundreds of hours of grimdark, and because Trek in it's purest form is the naive optimism that things can improve for the better. Maybe we can have our cake and eat it, or at least replicate more.

I'd even wager: Anything else, and most people would have just seen more grimdark and turned it off. Most people were super techy about SNW because they fundamentally did not trust that Kurtzman(?) and co could do an Optimism. You capture the audience first, and then you can get more nuanced with it. But the state of Trek at the time meant that losing those people in the first episode meant it would have taken a season or two to recover viewers.

This is like people arguing for two decades that the Star Wars prequels were poo poo, and we really need to return to the originals. Then when other creatives came along and made The Force Awakens people complained it was a shot for shot remake of A New Hope. It was literally the most blatant, obvious signal tuned for an audience that is not known for understanding subtleties, that they wanted to listen to fans and do things right and that they were returning to the roots just like the fans asked, and people shoved it in their faces lmao.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 20, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

You're forgetting that this is an antidote to literally almost 10+ seasons of grimdark Trek.

The first episode isn't meant to be a good episode it is meant to set the tone and cadence for the rest of the show and be a somewhat perhaps parodied example of that to show executives and writers and the audience the direction they want to take. A more subtle approach would not have worked in the cultural context because fans who followed Trek religiously were loving exhausted by the constant unrelenting "maybe things will be better, OH WAIT gently caress YOU THEY'LL BE poo poo".

It was important to show pure, undistilled, even naive optimism in the first episode because it was a direct counter to hundreds of hours of grimdark, and because Trek in it's purest form is the naive optimism that things can improve for the better. Maybe we can have our cake and eat it, or at least replicate more.

I'd even wager: Anything else, and most people would have just seen more grimdark and turned it off. Most people were super techy about SNW because they fundamentally did not trust that Kurtzman(?) and co could do an Optimism. You capture the audience first, and then you can get more nuanced with it. But the state of Trek at the time meant that losing those people in the first episode meant it would have taken a season or two to recover viewers.

This is like people arguing for two decades that the Star Wars prequels were poo poo, and we really need to return to the originals. Then when other creatives came along and made The Force Awakens people complained it was a shot for shot remake of A New Hope. It was literally the most blatant, obvious signal tuned for an audience that is not known for understanding subtleties, that they wanted to listen to fans and do things right and that they were returning to the roots just like the fans asked, and people shoved it in their faces lmao.

I agree so much. It's the Trekkian optimism I love in that SNW first episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

This is a flat-out falsehood. The original series has the best first season of all Trek and it isn't even close. DS9's first season is more good than bad. Lower Decks was firing on all cylinders by the third episode. Prodigy was fire right out of the gate. I'm cooler on Strange New Worlds' first season than most, but it's still above-average.

It's TNG, Voyager and Enterprise that faceplanted at the start. TNG recovered in season 3, Voyager didn't begin becoming even passably mediocre until season 4 and Enterprise never even got to "average;" the much-lauded season 4 is coated in fanwank.

Picard and Discovery never got good.

Picard got good for like an hour per season, but each individual hour is diffused across each season's ten episodes and is made up of parts that add up to mostly an hour by the time you're done.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Picard makes me so angry just the worst star trek anything possible

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah I’m struggling to think of 1 hour of good stuff in Picard S1.

“Burnt tomato!” doesn’t take very long to say

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually believe in a Star Trek future. Like I just am real optimistic about things going to poo poo but then us coming out better for it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I actually believe in a Star Trek future. Like I just am real optimistic about things going to poo poo but then us coming out better for it.

Let's agree with all the Vulcans demands!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

FlamingLiberal posted:

The pilot episode is the weakest one to me, and it's because of it being too preachy and not just laying things out with more subtlety.
Right, it's Star Trek. :v:

That speech was really what sold me on SNW, which I think is what a good pilot should do (particularly Trek pilots, which tend to be the "mission statement" kind focused on establishing the major ideas and tone of the show). The nuance and ethical dilemmas can come later.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'll also confess I am so in love with Pike's quarters I'm not sure I can be logical about it.

I mean he's got a sweet rear end fireplace in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There is a real problem in the first episode where we know nothing about what the war is actually about, it's just "War Bad! Stop making war and be friends! :byodood:".

For all we know this is their USA, and they're trying to bomb the local fascist regime hell-bent on world domination and racial cleansing that's right on their gates and close to invading, if not conquering their freedom-loving nation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It didn't made sense to me that a organization with basically infinite resources would build ships that did not have lots of living room in them. I appreciate the new Enterprise feeling like a actual futuristic vessel.

The federation has basically infinite resources. They can build ships to be comfortable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It didn't made sense to me that a organization with basically infinite resources would build ships that did not have lots of living room in them. I appreciate the new Enterprise feeling like a actual futuristic vessel.

The federation has basically infinite resources. They can build ships to be comfortable.

The Federation maintains wilderness in space. The doctor goes fishing in one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Hollismason posted:

And visible! The set lighting in SNW is in literal stark contrast to so much of what they did on Picard and Discovery and I love it. Everything from the corridors to Sickbay to Pike's cabin to the bridge is beautifully lit on this show