Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
All of their problems are the ones they shrugged off back at Aroa as being small beans compared to what the Dream Realm would throw at them. But Mookie never came up with anything further, so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Mookie had Snout's friends be magically incapacitated while Snout faces Redactor and Skullet alone, and also have Snout's friends by overwhelmed by their unresolved Challenges while Snout tries to help them. These are, in typical Mookie fashion, completely unrelated events.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought it was permanently dealt with when Sunflower guy did that thing and Snout did the thing with the pressed flower, but I guess that did nothing because the same vague vine thing just keeps happening with her

Honestly "a vague thing happens" describes a lot of this comic

The mean scholar pointed out at the time that Kaianda would continue to be a potential threat to Maltak so I think it was implied that the flower thing just suppressed it for a time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought it was permanently dealt with when Sunflower guy did that thing and Snout did the thing with the pressed flower, but I guess that did nothing because the same vague vine thing just keeps happening with her
It feels like Mookie started out wanting Kaianda-before-she-had-a-name to be "about" being a necromantic construct. But then he couldn't think of anything to do with that beyond having her punch Snout. So then Sunflower does ??? so Mookie can give her a "normal" personality, but then he couldn't think of one.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Oh no. If only some stakes had been established, or any consistent concept of what the vines can do and what does and doesn't work against them. Or any concrete concept of what Snout can and can't do. Or any previous conflict that wasn't defused instantly. There might be some tension, given even one of those things.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
If he's lucid dreaming there's literally no stakes because he can do whatever the gently caress he imagines. Oh, nevermind, he's hosed, Snout has no imagination or interiority at all. The only facets to him are "I turn into a satyr when I gently caress, which is CONSTANTLY"; "I've never interacted with another person before and spent my whole life reading books, in which I learned [Snout has Book on his character sheet, making him a Nerd class]"; and "I'm sad it's not about me"

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
cube

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and pubes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubG posted:

Legacy repeats itself a lot for a comic where virtually nothing ever happens.

It's like we're watching the creation of anterograde storytelling in action. Seriously, how the gently caress does Mookie not keep notes of what he's written? :psyduck:

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
You got PUBES in my CUBES!

You got CUBES in my PUBES!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O7oD_oX-Gio

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i like how the last panel zooms in on snout and gives an unobstructed view of his torso, so naturally terraciano neglects to write DEAF on his patch

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Today's blog post is about stage fright over being the host for an event at an upcoming convention - I wouldn't post it, but the last part (emphasis mine)...

quote:

Stage Fright
I’m leaving for ConnectiCon this afternoon to get set up for tomorrow’s opening. As I wrote at length on Tuesday’s blog, ConnectiCon is a hugely important and exciting show for me on both a professional and personal level. It’s also where I host the Cosplay Death Match.

The Cosplay Death Match is the highlight of ConnectiCon weekend. It packs the main events hall (and adjoining hall) on Saturday night and it feels like a rock concert. At the head of the show is me, the host, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be there. I am also scared to death.

The success of the Death Match is not just a testament to my skill as a host, but to the crowds who love it, the participants who get into it, and especially the backstage crew who puts the music together and organizes the contestants and generally make everything look awesome. However, if the Death Match isn’t entertaining, that falls on me. Participants don’t have to have Stage Presence to get the crowd to love them and technical difficulties can be worked around by a skilled host who’s good with a microphone. But if the host sucks, it drags the whole show down. And every year I am scared that I’m finally going to have my year that I’m Off as the host.

Over the years I’ve learned that people have been coming to ConnectiCon for the first time just because they’ve heard good things about the Death Match. There’s a lot of pressure on my shoulders, every year, to be as On and entertaining as possible. I feel like I’ve stumbled on stage once or twice in the past but have usually been able to recover. There’s this lingering fear in me, every year, that I will lose the crowd and can’t get them back, and those people who came to ConnectiCon for the first time will leave disappointed. I lose sleep at night over this.

However, it’s also a motivator to stay focused and on my toes. I’ve come to count on this fear and anxiety to motivate me to perform my duties as host to the very best of my abilities. I have a feeling if I didn’t worry that I was going to suck I would become complacent and run the risk of phoning it in, and then those aforementioned worries would quickly become a reality. A good crowd feeds off the energy you give them, and I have to give my everything.

Wish me luck at the Cosplay Death Match this weekend! Hopefully you’ll come see me at my best.

How does this not translate to the comics he makes? This is a man that has successfully turned his hobby into a job without it feeling any less like a hobby. This is like a mode of being that doesn't feel possible. I can't say I'm not envious about it but mostly I am just confused.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, when he's making comics, he doesn't worry that he's going to suck.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's something he hasn't been disinvited from yet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

a cartoon duck posted:

i like how the last panel zooms in on snout and gives an unobstructed view of his torso, so naturally terraciano neglects to write DEAF on his patch

loving hell...

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

I can hear!? I CAN HEAR!!! :3:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, Snout is deaf?? How could I ever tell? He should wear a sign.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, Snout is deaf?? How could I ever tell? He should wear a sign.

Don't worry, it's on his library card. You know, it has all the important information on it: species, name, a list of disabilities. The important stuff that's on every library card.

Do you think Dominic's library card from 200 years ago said "Missing leg" on it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

Don't worry, it's on his library card. You know, it has all the important information on it: species, name, a list of disabilities. The important stuff that's on every library card.

Do you think Dominic's library card from 200 years ago said "Missing leg" on it.

It said "Leg of Love", actually.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

It said "Leg of Love", actually.

please don't remind me of that page, it haunts my nightmares still

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thankfully this is so stupid it's starting to become entertaining again.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
i hate this loving diary

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
the not drawing faces thing is really starting to get to me, on a visceral primal level

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Look at Idiota's right arm. There is no physical way it could look like that. He's been drawing for 20 years and can't do this basic poo poo.

Seriously, it's like an Escher arm. An optical illusion.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He also didn't draw fingers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

lol that he drew Corpsemomdaughterwife just A-posing there. It's not like the getting ensnared by the pubic vines and dragged into the black void is a cause to struggle away or anything.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Grabbin that diary like a pie on a windowsill

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Codependent Poster posted:

Look at Idiota's right arm. There is no physical way it could look like that. He's been drawing for 20 years and can't do this basic poo poo.

Seriously, it's like an Escher arm. An optical illusion.

I can pose my right arm like that, the only issue is that it feels like being put into an armbar or hammerlock or something, i.e. it's a position with absolutely zero leverage and if she was pulling hard at the vines like that she'd give herself some pretty horrendous tissue damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

how many times is that stupid diary going to get swapped back and forth

why does it even loving matter

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Boba Pearl posted:

the not drawing faces thing is really starting to get to me, on a visceral primal level

It makes sense when the characters are far away but not when the characters are drawn this close to the reader's perspective

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

i hate this loving diary

I know book burnings have a negative connotation but that's one book I wouldn't shed a tear over if it went in a bonfire.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I still don't understand if they're literally passing back and forth the actual, physical book or not. Doesn't Bad Idiota still really have it? Is this just the memory of reading his diary, and if so, wouldn't they both have it? Is it just because it's an important object to him?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I imagine Mookie thought Snout throwing away the book to rush to his mommy's aid is supposed to make him look heroic, all while making you go "oh no, snout, why did you throw away the important book?" Except... the diary isn't important! There's no esoteric, forbidden knowledge in it, no actual clues, no information that couldn't be found in other sources just lying around, absolutely nothing that can help anyone get to Asinotaph. Except loving Bog Hags, that is.

It's just important because Mookie says it is, that's it! And it's not like the book is even physically there since this is just a dream. The way he's trying to pretend the diary is like the sum knowledge of Snout's character arc and becoming his source of power is just insulting.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The signifier is the signified. The book is important because it's an Important Book.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mookie is such a fascinatingly lazy and incurious man. The surface symbology of things matters to him more than anything else.

He wants to be seen as a creator but doesn't give a gently caress about doing anything creators do. He likes the symbol of what being a creator represents and nothing else.

He likes books but doesn't care about the contents of them. He likes the things they stand in as symbols for (knowledge and wisdom) but has no interest in actually reading them or showing people reading them and learning from them in a story where they are said to be important. We've all seen the insipid bullshit written in Snout's diary but the diary is super powerful because it is a capital-b Book and as such contains Knowledge and Wisdom that can be used to solve Challenges.

Everything in this comic is like that. Some kind of symbol with none of the work put in. He has villains who are mirrors of two of the companions because he likes the symbolism of that but forgot to have them do anything at all that makes sense to the story. The dream symbols are also completely substanceless - the challenge symbol showing up is the challenge in and of itself. Mookie's version of symbolism distilled to its most base form.

I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said but I see this guy who has fans and book sales and con appearances because of this poo poo and I feel like I'm going crazy

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I will never not laugh at the fact that the book we are supposed to see as one of, if not the most important thing in this conflict contains the phrase

"Seriously. Orc women are incomparable. Atta boy."

It's so obvious that Mookie decided early on that the Diary was supposed to represent Snouts journey and the story as a whole, this powerful symbol of all he learned, and how he's grown.
But because Mookie put no thought into that beyond it's existence all the characters just use it as an etch-a-sketch to pass notes back and forth which absolutely ruins it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boba Pearl posted:

It’s like on old cartoons from the 80s, where the animation was super cheap. Whoops! We forgot the cel with the character’s face on it!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

It’s like on old cartoons from the 80s, where the animation was super cheap. Whoops! We forgot the cel with the character’s face on it!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Pulsarcat posted:

It's so obvious that Mookie decided early on that the Diary was supposed to represent Snouts journey and the story as a whole, this powerful symbol of all he learned, and how he's grown.

And then he couldn't come up with any of those things, so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I do wonder if the reason he's not drawing faces is that he doesn't think to zoom in on the page while he's working on it. Like, maybe he works at 40% zoom, thinks the finished page looks fine, then doesn't bother zooming up to 100% to see how it'd look like on the website.