Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think all new consoles over $50 will be Android from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Oh good, more variants for idiots on reddit to jump ob and post pictures of their 2000$+ retroid collections.

Yeah and also me, on here

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Macichne Leainig posted:

I wish I could be Retroid and sell several versions of the same product that will still fly off the shelves.

Like legitimately envious of their ability to seemingly print money with all these releases, it's obviously working for them

Love the player hate the game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was thinking retro handheld sales might have reached a saturation point by now. Do we know that they’re still selling like hotcakes?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Every retro gamer is required to own one tiger 618 handheld, it's the law. Retroid is just helping.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking retro handheld sales might have reached a saturation point by now. Do we know that they’re still selling like hotcakes?

I guess we'll find out if Retroid is still around in a year or not

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The only way I'm buying another one of these things is if it has actual instant resume. I never want to see a boot screen again unless I'm doing system stuff. The MM with Onion is close but someone can do better one day.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I will say I like the retroid devices a lot but I’ve held off getting one because it feels like if you wait 3 months there will be a new, slightly better model. And the MM+ is needs suiting for now.

Like based on the retroid 2 releases, they do this RP3+ update in a smaller shell then it’s just about time to announce the RP4 in time for holidays 2023.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just keep buyin em.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
yeah same, I wanted to buy a 405M last week but it's been out for a bit and maybe there will be a new model soon with the dpad in the correct position and better colors

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally I'm hoping that someone eventually figures out a good way to make a cheap DS-esque retro handheld. Was disappointed when it turned out the Retroid Flip only had one screen.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I will say I like the retroid devices a lot but I’ve held off getting one because it feels like if you wait 3 months there will be a new, slightly better model. And the MM+ is needs suiting for now.

Like based on the retroid 2 releases, they do this RP3+ update in a smaller shell then it’s just about time to announce the RP4 in time for holidays 2023.

I think there whole industry advance to the next general platform at around the same time. So if the next mid-range platform is 3588 or whatever, the "big 3" will make 7 devices for it in the next cycle. And then Ayn will be the one release a box around fastest dimensity soc with a 30% higher ticket price.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If they make another pocket in the same form factor as the RP3+ but updated specs I’ll probably buy it but I don’t need a ton of different devices. That being said the MM+ is on its way

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I need that clamshell pocket to have another screen for DS emulation and giggles.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can't you guys play DS on a 20:9, 21:9 smartphone? I don't play DS games so maybe I am missing something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you don't play DS games you're definitely missing something - the amazing library of DS games! Jump in, gamer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Countblanc posted:

If you don't play DS games you're definitely missing something - the amazing library of DS games! Jump in, gamer.

This

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If I tried to play Trauma Center on my smartphone I'd end up in a real trauma center

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Okay I will give advance wars DS a chance on my smartphone.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mokotow posted:

I need that clamshell pocket to have another screen for DS emulation and giggles.

Have you considered *looks at shelf* the DS Lite?
I have 3 of them. They run all the non-3ds games, they run gameboy advance, there are near-flawless nes, snes, gb, sega genesis / cd (maybe 32x?), tg-16 emulators that run on them.
Not to mention the battery life. I guffawed out loud last night when I was watching a video about the ayn something neo or whatever and they said 2 hours of battery life.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
a DSi is only $40-$50, a worthy investment imo

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
The ds is so loving good and until I got the analogue pocket my preferred way of playing GBA games on account of having a sane screen

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have but, spoiler alert, I don’t live in the US and they are uncommon here. The used market here is very limited and emulating is just a better option than getting a battered DS for a price of a new one.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Mokotow posted:

I have but, spoiler alert, I don’t live in the US and they are uncommon here. The used market here is very limited and emulating is just a better option than getting a battered DS for a price of a new one.

Im sure a goon will toss one in the mail for you.
I will keep a look out.
I paid $50 for my red/black one that i've had since... 2008? HOLY poo poo im old.
paid $7.50 for my pink one which had a janky screen. $5 for a new screen and $7 for a yellow pikachu shell.
paid $15 for my white one which has a little mario overalls carrying case. No poo poo, I just turned it on to make sure it works and even after not being charged in a year and a half it still has juice.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hope this doesn't come off as dogpiling or pressure, but if you change your mind about wanting a DSwhatever there's a goon who likes to refurb and sell them for cheap, might be easier to work with them

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986837

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, that looks amazing!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Marx Headroom posted:

Hope this doesn't come off as dogpiling or pressure, but if you change your mind about wanting a DSwhatever there's a goon who likes to refurb and sell them for cheap, might be easier to work with them

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986837

I was about to mention JBone. He re-shelled my pink-to-pikachu one for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven't used jbone's services myself but he rules

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I haven't used jbone's services myself but he rules

I got a JDM New 3DS XL from him for a very reasonable price, and it flashed it for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep-beep car is go posted:

I got a JDM New 3DS XL from him for a very reasonable price, and it flashed it for me.

A modded New 3DS/2DS is an essential handheld imo, gives you access to the entire DS/3DS library as well as emulation up to PS1

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I still have my original DS and R4DS flash cart. No need for third party poo poo for that, thank god

Still kicking myself for getting rid of my New 3DS XL after beating Majora's Mask, but at least I did experience 3DS Majora's Mask

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So, I've had my MM+ for a little while now, and my RP3+ arrived yesterday. I've got them both set up.

The MM+ is an amazing device. The way you can press the power and it suspends the game and comes back is great. I love it. I have been playing the poo poo out of the Tony Hawk games on the PS1 emulators. The Onion launcher has kind of spoiled me. It's a small thing, right, it presents games in a library and launches them into whatever emulator is linked. But it's so slick. I have tried almost all the launchers on the RP3+ and I do not like any of them. The Dijahisho one is just OK, and the way it works gives me a headache. The RP3+ screen is the same size as the MM+ unless you're playing a widescreen native game. They both look great. The Android OS on the RP3+ is.. Android. I'm not a fan, but its serviceable - I've mostly hidden it with Dihjsahso loading on startup. The Analog sticks work surprisingly well for stuff like Gran Turismo. I haven't tried much out beyond the PS1 era, where the RP3+ will take over.

I really really really like the MM+ though. Everything about it is slick. My only complaint is they put the speaker under your thumb when pressing buttons instead of literally ANYWHERE else. Sound is always muffled. You can use headphones, but I like leaving the MM+ next to the shitter, or taking it with me when my wife has to run errands and I'm sitting in the car waiting for her etc.

I dig em both, but the MM+ is kinda special IMO.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I browsed a ton of options and I bought this HDD case off Amazon for my MM+

Ruggard Neoprene Case for Portable Hard Drives https://a.co/d/8Y4ZXPc

The width is perfect, though the case is 1” taller than the device. Works out though, gives exactly enough space to stick a pair of wired earbuds in there too.

Stuff the earbuds in the bottom, MM+ on top, perfect fit

The other thing in there is a Travel Card Plus, a small battery about the size of a credit card that has enough juice to fully fill the MM+ from 0 -> 100%, I travel a bunch for work so I stick it in the case when I’m headed to the airport.

All fits in there very well, not a tight fit at all

Adds very little bulk, but it’s water resistant and absorbs shocks well enough that I can just toss the thing in one of my bags and not worry about it. Kinda tempted to see if I can remove the stitching on the Ruggard logo on the case itself, it feels like it could be removed, but not a huge deal.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

baram. posted:

it works!

From a few days ago now, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the Temu app and was able to use that code to get a MM+ for ~ $40. I don't need it and barely have time for games anymore, but y'know. Excited to get it and start tweaking it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can't you guys play DS on a 20:9, 21:9 smartphone? I don't play DS games so maybe I am missing something.
Sure, buy Drastic off of the Play Store and go nuts. Don't even need a 20:9 phone, the stacked DS screens are basically a 2:3 ratio, so a 3:2 or wider screen is enough. All the touchscreen only games play fine with just your phone (other than fingers obscuring more of the screen than a stylus would), for d-pad games you'll want a controller.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 19, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Buy a Surface Duo and glue it into a razer kishi

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Been a while since I played with my 3+ since getting my MM+ up and running along with my Deck.

Looking at Reddit’s game compatibility list for this chipset, it looks like a ton of progress has been made in GameCube performance. I think I’m gonna get the RP2S, dedicate it to everything under PS2 and use the deck for everything higher.

I am really hoping the rumors that the 2S has hall sticks and analog triggers are true.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I bought a mini plus from temu now too. Why? I have no idea.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retroid Pocket 2S price and specs revealed

https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-2s-specs-price-release-date/

-$100 (+shipping) for 3GB model, $120 (+shipping) for 4GB model, $150 (+shipping) for 4GB metal model
-T610 processor, so weaker than the 3+, more powerful than the 2+/3
-Hall sensor sticks with L3/R3
-Analog shoulder triggers
-Select and Start moved next to the d-pad and buttons, bottom 3 buttons are home, back, and a user-programmable button

https://twitter.com/RetroHandhelds/status/1681869697833213952

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bought a mini plus from temu now too. Why? I have no idea.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This is what I've been waiting to replace my trusty 351p with, especially if I can stream Gamepass games as well. The 3's placement of start/select was an annoyingly tiny but deal-breaking detail that I'm glad to see changed back.