Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like that Hungarian player may have hosed up, since it seems like this has become a big thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I thought they used that electronic line in/out system for tennis or is that only for televised men’s matches

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/ndtv/status/1681249961617543168?t=06VkufYB-H9RE_brKddLrg&s=19

Naming your alliance I.N.D.I.A kinda makes it impossible to search.

yeah, it had a bunch of funny lols recently.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like that Hungarian player may have hosed up, since it seems like this has become a big thing now.

i think its more of a wtf moment that the umpire didnt do anything since its like his job to keep players from doing that kind of poo poo and it says a lot that she thought she could get away with it when he was sitting right there and could see her doing it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the big “secret” in tennis is that it is also massively corrupt with rampant match fixing and copious use of performance enhancing drugs

the sharapova incident could have led to something but i guess it’s in everyone’s interest to ignore it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ikanreed posted:

The sanction regime is thorough enough that I could believe phones are relatively rare, though.

Absent pandemic related border concerns yeah the border with China never closes and IDK what's going on with the Russia border these days but it was free passage there for at least a decade plus too

So yeah they're probably enjoying inexpensive Chinese phones

Posting from a Gucci brand Chinese phone now myself as it happens but plenty of $100 smartphones that work just fine for regular use

It rules that people assume Koreans are like some uncontacted tribe that have no conception of consumer technology because they live on the "wrong side" of some artificial boundary imposed by their same overlords

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i at least can understand the china anxiety in a way, like the USSR they are an actual power and it is in our interests to keep the china from growing stronger but its like the gently caress did the DPRK ever do to anyone except get poo poo on. theres a sneering cruelty that comes with talking about north korea that infuriates me, more so than the other poo poo liberals say.

Yeah big same tbh

Imagine if Washington DC had to rebuild every building over a single story tall and how those people would react

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah big same tbh

Imagine if Washington DC had to rebuild every building over a single story tall and how those people would react

They would never do this and instead immediately pivot to a corrugated shack rental based economy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HiroProtagonist posted:

It rules that people assume Koreans are like some uncontacted tribe that have no conception of consumer technology because they live on the "wrong side" of some artificial boundary imposed by their same overlords

they made their own linux distro at one point, maybe 15 years ago

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they switched to templeos in 2014 after the deprecation of red star 3.0 and haven't looked back

is the "north koerea stolle all the crypto" stuff real? i never bothered to check. good for them if so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The western idea of north korea is basically like Unterland in Venture Bros, literal Mordor inhabited by cartoon villains who are both monstrous and laughable and exist only to be slaughtered freely by shining square-jawed american heroes.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
y-yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Can you imagine what would happen without them?
N. Korea awards high achievers in nuclear weapons production | Daily NK

www.dailynk.com posted:

The Central Committee’s Munitions Industry Department recently commended personnel at several uranium enrichment facilities for achieving good results in their activities during the first half of the year, Daily NK has learned. 

“The Munitions Industry Department held an enlarged plenary session in late June to review the results of the Eighth Plenary Meeting of the Eighth Central Committee,” a Daily NK source in North Korea said Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity. “The department decided to award appreciation letters to personnel who received outstanding reviews for research and production of nuclear warheads in the first half of the year. The awards were given at commendation ceremonies, which were held on Saturday.”

The commendation ceremonies were held simultaneously at the Yonbyon nuclear complex and three or four other uranium enrichment facilities, according to the source. 

The source told Daily NK that the Central Committee — after receiving the Munitions Industry Department’s report on the general results of its implementation of uranium enrichment plans during the Eighth Plenary Meeting — praised “the majority of uranium enrichment facilities for achieving their goals for the first half of the year in line with the party’s decision to exponentially increase the nation’s arsenal of nuclear warheads.”

The Central Committee ordered that individuals who helped to expand the country’s arsenal of nuclear warheads receive the highest of rewards, even as it strongly rebuked officials involved in the recent failed launch of a military reconnaissance satellite.

During the Sixth Plenary Meeting of the Eighth Central Committee in December, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un elucidated his “epochal strategy of the development of nuclear force and national defence for 2023,” saying: “Now that the south Korean puppet forces who designated the DPRK as their ‘principal enemy’ and openly trumpet about ‘preparations for war’ have assumed our undoubted enemy, it highlights the importance and necessity of a mass-producing of tactical nuclear weapons and calls for an exponential increase of the country’s nuclear arsenal.”

One individual receives Hero of Labor award

The regime’s move to hand out commendations to nuclear facility personnel appears aimed at showing the workers that their activities are crucial and tied to the nation’s security. At the same time, the authorities appear to be trying to improve morale among the military munitions workforce to encourage good results in the second half of the year. 

Following the Munitions Industry Department’s enlarged plenary session in late June, high-ranking cadres visited uranium enrichment facilities, including Yongbyon, to hand out the appreciation letters and award distinguished service commendations. One individual even received a Hero of Labor award, the source said. 

“Thanks to the high marks they received from the Central Committee for the first half of the year’s results and an order from the Munitions Industry Department, personnel at nuclear warhead production bases took a three-day break from Saturday, the day of the commendation ceremony. They received a wide-range of provisions, too, so it really felt like it was a holiday.” 

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Big Bad Idiot posted:

"their people are starving and can't even choose their own haircut and I say we kill them all, wipe their kind from the earth" basically

how americans treat arabs and arab nations is a good reason for north korea to have nuclear weapons. we 'free' a people by killing them and destroying them as a people and encouraging global animosity toward them

"Better dead than red" was always about their attitude to other people, not a defiant cry of being willing to sacrifice themselves for a greater goal.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Kissinger met Wang Yi and Xi? That's a pretty big round of tour. Let's see if the vampire says anything important to a newspaper.

Also still no sight of Qin Gong, since he talked to Blinken. He is not going to the Brics summit either.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

Kissinger met Wang Yi and Xi? That's a pretty big round of tour. Let's see if the vampire says anything important to a newspaper.

Also still no sight of Qin Gong, since he talked to Blinken. He is not going to the Brics summit either.

Maybe because of this:

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/jenniferzeng97/status/1679594223455043586?s=20

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/07/883c74e3e564-extramarital-affair-behind-chinese-minister-qins-absence-media.html

quote:

Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang has been out of public view for about three weeks due to an extramarital affair with a Chinese television journalist well-known across the country, Taiwanese media reported Saturday.

Photos and videos of Qin and the female reporter, who works for Hong Kong-based Phoenix TV, have recently circulated on Twitter. The ruling Communist Party's Central Commission for Discipline Inspection has reportedly asked the minister about the matter.

Qin, 57, skipped Association of Southeast Asian Nations meetings in Indonesia earlier this week for "health reasons," according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry. A newspaper in Hong Kong reported last Monday that he had contracted COVID-19.

According to the ministry, the foreign minister's last public appearance was on June 25. The former Chinese ambassador to the United States assumed the ministerial post last December, succeeding the country's top diplomat Wang Yi, who attended the ASEAN-related gatherings instead of Qin.

https://twitter.com/KittyPo80176717/status/1679440640575410177?s=20

https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1679659697253785600?s=20

https://twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1679749275096604673?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

goddamn, the motherland showing the Aussies up when it comes to refugee treatment.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am going to call that Qin Gong extramarital affair rumor stupid made up rumor. I mean it could happen, but it's not how CPC deal with cadres who have extramarital affairs.

Having an affair with a woman is different from having 3 mistresses and giving each of them an apartment.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Jul 20, 2023

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
no no no he's dead and xi killed him personally

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

crepeface posted:

goddamn, the motherland showing the Aussies up when it comes to refugee treatment.
It's all the EurosThe ship was built in 1976 and is flagged in Barbados. It was converted into an accommodation barge in 1992. It was formerly known as Floatel Stockholm and Dino I.

From 1994 to 1998, it was used to house the homeless, including some asylum seekers, in Hamburg, Germany.
In 2005, it began to be used by the Netherlands to detain asylum seekers in Rotterdam. In 2008, an asylum seeker resident of the Bibby Stockholm died of heart failure following repeated failures to provide adequate healthcare.
In 2013, the barge was used by Petrofac as accommodation for construction workers at the Shetland Gas Plant. During this time, it was berthed at Lerwick, Scotland. In 2015, a man from Saltcoats, Ayrshire called His Majesty's Coastguard to report that two bombs had been planted on barges - the accommodation ship Gemini, and the Bibby Stockholm. He admitted a charge of threatening or abusive behaviour and was sentenced to a six-month tagging order. The barge was finally towed away from Lerwick by the Cypriot tug Mustang on 31 May 2017, although it had been unused for over a year. It was subsequently towed to the Danish island of Bornholm.
In August 2017, there was some discussion by a property management company about leasing the barge to provide university accommodation to 400 students in Galway, Ireland, along with the Bibby Bergen. However, the plan was generally not workable - the existing docks were not suitable, and the Supreme Court of Ireland had ruled that such a use would require planning permission.
In June 2018, the barge was moved to Piteå, Sweden, to assist in the construction of Markbygden Wind Farm. It stayed there until at least 2019.

In April 2023, the Government of the United Kingdom announced plans to use the ship to house asylum seekers at Portland Port in Dorset, because it would "offer better value for money for taxpayers than hotels", referring to the £5.6m bill for accommodating asylum seekers in hotels. However, The Guardian reported in July 2023 that the barge would deliver only a trivial cost saving. The plan is for the barge to stay in the port for at least 18 months, containing 506 asylum seekers whose asylum claims are already being considered by the government. The barge would also contain healthcare provision, catering facilities, and 24-hour security. The plans have met widespread opposition from humanitarian organisations, the local MP and local authorities—who are Conservatives, the party in government. Dorset Council explored legal action to prevent the barge from arriving. On the morning of 17 July 2023, the barge left Falmouth for Portland Port.
In July 2023, an open letter signed by over 50 NGOs, MPs and peers called on the barge's owner, Bibby Marine, part of Bibby Line, to acknowledge its founder John Bibby's links to the Atlantic slave trade and to end the practice of containing asylum seekers on its vessels.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/yaldabreeki/status/1681715250498764819?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

shitlib baiting will never stop being funny

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmfao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

its just like my favorite tv show, game of thrones

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oh come on, Game of Drones was right there!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
thats why you get paid the big yuan

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Palladium posted:

shitlib baiting will never stop being funny

is that not a joke?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lumpentroll posted:

is that not a joke?

This was my understanding.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Remember when the British tried to build an aircraft carrier and failed? And then they tried to build a ferry and failed?

What I'm saying is don't attribute to malice what you can explain with incompetence

Thinking back to blue streak. Mmm, yeah. Anything the brits produced that was worth anything seems to have just been dumb luck rather than actual planning.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I know the whole "can you imagine if China did X..." bit is trite but there would absolutely be a helicopter with some CNN dipshit in it circling a hypothetical Chinese prison barge and blasting it all over our stupid televisions

Analysts from the non-partisan Institute of Freedom tell CNN that as many as 10 million Muslims may possibly potentially be on the communist gulag barge being force-fed pork and baijiu as we speak

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lumpentroll posted:

is that not a joke?

wait are you telling me somebody tried an unironic CHYNA VLAD take with an obviously rewinded footage at an obvious firefighting training ground

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DiscountDildos posted:

I know the whole "can you imagine if China did X..." bit is trite but there would absolutely be a helicopter with some CNN dipshit in it circling a hypothetical Chinese prison barge and blasting it all over our stupid televisions

Analysts from the non-partisan Institute of Freedom tell CNN that as many as 10 million Muslims may possibly potentially be on the communist gulag barge being force-fed pork and baijiu as we speak

Land......cide

Walk...cide

Refucide

Which word is more catchy?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

Land......cide

Walk...cide

Refucide

Refugeenocide

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
those are all terrible

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

aww man they added context to that tweet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Land......cide

Walk...cide

Refucide

none of them are catchy

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

slave to my cravings posted:

I thought they used that electronic line in/out system for tennis or is that only for televised men’s matches

The Hawk-eye technology is only used in high profile tournaments but more importantly, it's not used on clay. Because on clay, the ball leaves a mark and you can literally just look at it to see where it landed. The umpire just refused to do that, and while Zhang Shuai was still complaining about that, the Hungarian player intentionally removed the mark with her foot which is why Zhang got pissed and forfeited the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1681907430764994561

friend? :raise: