Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the 2FA apps may not carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I switched to OTP Auth which stores the keys in iCloud. I realize this is probably not the most 100% safe way to do things, but it's better than having to recreate every 2FA key when I get a new phone.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

SlowBloke posted:

In my recent XR to 14 upgrade, the only app that kept it's credentials data was office, the rest (awful included) required me to re-enter the password. It's about thirty mins for your average set of apps plus banks&authenticator apps.

I just setup a new iPad and awful, along with almost everything else, had credentials

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have long forgotten my Authy password (which is fine since I’ve moved to a different app) but it still lets me view the OTPs I set up multiple phones ago

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ended up getting a 13, and yeah, there seems to be a quick start transfer thing, its in progress, but it seems like it shouldn't be too annoying. My old phone should have enough battery life that I can sort poo poo out either way I think.

Anyone got docks they'd recommend for an iphone 13? Or like brands/things to look for? The guy at the store was also saying to avoid using the older outlet power blocks (which are USB A) since the newer ones are the USB-C and are a different amperage or something (I recall hearing knockoff switch docks causing issues for a similar reason?) - is this true?

e: Looks like I had to transfer all my authenticators manually, wasn't too bad.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Ended up getting a 13, and yeah, there seems to be a quick start transfer thing, its in progress, but it seems like it shouldn't be too annoying. My old phone should have enough battery life that I can sort poo poo out either way I think.

Anyone got docks they'd recommend for an iphone 13? Or like brands/things to look for? The guy at the store was also saying to avoid using the older outlet power blocks (which are USB A) since the newer ones are the USB-C and are a different amperage or something (I recall hearing knockoff switch docks causing issues for a similar reason?) - is this true?

USB A bricks charge very slowly, and new iPhones have larger batteries. I personally like a MagSafe cable with a USB C brick (24w) for faster charging. I have other devices that can also be fast charged with higher wattage over USB C (Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck, MacBook), so I picked up a brick with a couple ports.

Up to you whether or not you care. Any respected brand is fine - Apple, Anker, whatever.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 19, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

e: Looks like I had to transfer all my authenticators manually, wasn't too bad.

There's no *problem* with using USB-A, but even the highest-power USB-A charger that Apple has released (12W) is lower power than the lowest-power USB-C one they've put out (18W) and as such will charge slower. The one that came with your iPhone 8 is 5W, for comparison.

The issue with the Switch is Nintendo didn't follow the USB-C spec for USB-PD. This won't be an issue with an iPhone at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ok, I see.

I'm kind of just looking for something I put my phone on when I'm at my computer so it charges and I can sync it and poo poo. Or all the kids these days syncing their phones over wifi? Cause I assume you're probably not going to get 20-24w fast charging through most normal PC usb? (My PC has a bunch of USB3.0, but none of the back ports appear to be the USB C style connector) Is there much difference in charging through magsafe or the actual lighting port? (Obviously you'll be gated based on the usb draw to the charger regardless)

e: I like this one design-wise, but it looks like I'd only get 5w charging https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Qi-Certified-Compatible-Fast-Charging-PowerWave/dp/B07DBXZZN3/

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Ok, I see.

I'm kind of just looking for something I put my phone on when I'm at my computer so it charges and I can sync it and poo poo. Or all the kids these days syncing their phones over wifi? Cause I assume you're probably not going to get 20-24w fast charging through most normal PC usb? (My PC has a bunch of USB3.0, but none of the back ports appear to be the USB C style connector) Is there much difference in charging through magsafe or the actual lighting port? (Obviously you'll be gated based on the usb draw to the charger regardless)

e: I like this one design-wise, but it looks like I'd only get 5w charging https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Qi-Certified-Compatible-Fast-Charging-PowerWave/dp/B07DBXZZN3/
I have that dock and it’s great at my desk to charge during the day but not if you’re in any kind of hurry.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Ok, I see.

These are the official powers:
Usb 2.0 (usb-a connector) is 0.5A@5V (2,5W) , usb 3.x (usb-a connector) is 0.9A@5V (4,5W) , usb 3.x (usb-c connector) is 3A@5V (15W), usb-pd (usb-c connector) up to 5A@20V (100W) with recent amendments moving the max pd power to 140W+.

Apple has a out of spec max amperage for usb-a ports at 2.4A, which helps but nowadays is sorta limited on more advanced devices.

Magsafe is 15W so equivalent to normal usb 3.x (usb-c) but slower than usb-pd chargers.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 19, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I have that dock and it’s great at my desk to charge during the day but not if you’re in any kind of hurry.
I was going back over the description and now I'm confused by this:

quote:

This wireless charger does not feature MagSafe-style magnetic alignment, and therefore cannot charge the iPhone 13 and 12 series magnetically.
Does this just mean it doesn't stick to it? Is there a difference between magnet and wireless charging?

e:
https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Wireless-Charging-PowerWave-Magnetic/dp/B094FQSGMM
this one seems okay too, if a bit more pricy but actually aimed a little more at iphones specifically.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 19, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Does this just mean it doesn't stick to it? Is there a difference between magnet and wireless charging?

e:
this one seems okay too, if a bit more pricy but actually aimed a little more at iphones specifically.
There's no such thing as magnet charging. Apple's MagSafe is just magnets that hold the phone and charger together with some Apple proprietary poo poo. Any Qi charger will charge your phone, though I think Apple won't let them charge faster than 7.5W on a non-MagSafe charger.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

e:

The world is full of standards...

There's traditional Qi wireless charging. It's old. It's cheap. It's slow to charge. It's not magnetic.

Apple came along and introduced MagSafe charging, which improves upon Qi wireless charging by being faster, connecting magnetically to the device, and introducing a host of accessories including magnetic wallets, 2-in-1 Stands, and MagSafe car charging mounts (make sure your case is MagSafe).

Apple ended up offering MagSafe charging to the Qi consortium for the upcoming Qi2 standard, so you'll see more and more non-Apple devices supporting "MagSafe" style charging in the future.

I personally find traditional wireless charging a bit finicky with many devices, so I don't mind spending a little money for a MagSafe cable that I can easily connect to my iPhone in a dark bedroom.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 19, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Qi charging has been capable of up to 15W since 2015, same as MagSafe. Apple just doesn't let it do that because they want you to buy a MagSafe charger.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Qi charging has been capable of up to 15W since 2015, same as MagSafe. Apple just doesn't let it do that because they want you to buy a MagSafe charger.

Well yeah, because MagSafe is better and introduces a bunch of really useful accessories.

At this point, we might as well call it Qi2 wireless charging standard, not "proprietary". Tons of cheap Chinese MagSafe crap on Amazon nowadays.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 19, 2023

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for reminding me to find the swollen battery iphones I have in a cabinet somewhere :gonk:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
On the plus side, they evidently haven't been a hazard yet. :science:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So my partner works in telehealth, and often charts while she does video calls, and she has one of these MagSafe iPhone Laptop Mounts that she uses for video calls, but when she's not using it for the camera, she uses it as a "secondary display" for Plex, Teams, Slack, etc.

Pretty cool:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This is almost certainly not the right thread for this as it's primarily a macOS question, but the macOS thread in SH/SC seems to be for mostly coding type stuff so maybe someone here will be able to help with my basic bitch issue.

I recently downloaded all my photos from Google Photos and added them to Apple Photos. I had all the Google Photos on an external drive, and I was just barely able to add them all to the Photos app on my MacBook. It left me with only like 2GB of free space on the laptop, but I figured that was ok because it would all upload to the cloud overnight.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. I started getting a "there is not enough free space on disk to sync to cloud" error. This doesn't really make sense to me because the files are already on the disk and I have plenty of space in my iCloud account. But apparently you need some free space on your local disk to sync to iCloud for some reason.

So, based on this link (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517), I'm currently moving the photos library to an external drive, then I'll delete the library on the MacBook, and let it sync to iCloud from the external drive.

Hopefully that works, but that brings me to my question - what do I do after that? I don't want the Photos app on the MacBook to only work when it's connected to this external drive. Will syncing to iCloud shrink the size of the photos library, at which time I can manually copy it back to the MacBook? Or is the actual library file irrelevant once everything's sync'ed to iCloud?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If you don't have the MacBook set to keep the originals, the onboard storage should shrink to the cloud thumbnails.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Oxyclean posted:

Or all the kids these days syncing their phones over wifi?

I don’t know anyone irl who syncs their phone with their computer. Personally I just pay :10bux: for the 2 TB iCloud plan and family share that with 4 other people. In return I get their Hulu and HBO access (and they get essentially unlimited iCloud backup space) so it’s a win-win. Sometimes someone subscribes to random apps and shares those subscriptions too.

There is also the much cheaper iCloud plan without family sharing. I think that’s like $2?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 20, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a shortcut action to enable/disable the audio feedback sounds from tapping on the keyboard?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think switching to silent mode does that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Settings > Sound & Haptics > Keyboard Feedback. There are separate toggles for sound and haptics.

e: oh shortcut action. Yeah I don’t think so other than just flicking the mute switch. Haptics will still go if you have them enabled in settings though.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 20, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I wanted a shortcut action so that I could have it auto activate when I go into work focus.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

If you don't have the MacBook set to keep the originals, the onboard storage should shrink to the cloud thumbnails.

That's how I expected it to work, but not how it was working.

I had loaded everything to the MacBook library which left me with only about 3GB of space on my MacBook hard drive. I set MacBook library to sync to the cloud to free up local space, but that's when I was getting the "not enough free space on disk to sync to cloud" error. Some google research showed me that macOS still needs a fair amount of free space locally to facilitate syncing to the cloud for some reason.

I went through with my "move the library to an external disk and sync from there" plan last night, and it seems to have worked. Photos app reports that everything is sync'ed to the cloud. But the library file on my external drive is still 80GB even though I have it set to only keep the high res versions in the cloud. I'm thinking maybe because my external drive with the photos library is nowhere near full, the Photos app is choosing to keep the high res versions locally? But that doesn't help my ultimate goal of getting this library back onto the MacBook itself. I hate that I even need to janitor a local library file, why can't that just be in the cloud?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I think it's because it's not on the local storage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You could try this:

Confirm everything is synced to the cloud.
Remove that photo library from the Photos app.
Create a new one locally on the computer, set to primary and turn on cloud syncing and make sure the option to keep originals is turned off. That should make sure only the thumbnails are on the computer and hopefully taking up less space.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a shortcut action to enable/disable the audio feedback sounds from tapping on the keyboard?

Why would you ever want to enable them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wooger posted:

Why would you ever want to enable them?

I legit type better hearing the feedback.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hearing the noise won't stop you from.always.having.searches.like.this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Skeezy posted:

Or@like@this@on@discord

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My main issue is hitting the m when I’m trying to backspace so I always end up with shim mnmm mmn like this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like the widest loving letter

If it were iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii it wouldn't be so bad

(yes it would, it would backspace so slowly)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

buglord posted:

Or@like@this@on@discord

American McGay posted:

My main issue is hitting the m when I’m trying to backspace so I always end up with shim mnmm mmn like this.

please stop you’re triggering me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

please stop you’re triggering me

I need a drink after reading that.

Ducking hate it.

Edit: gently caress!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Drives me batty.

Also the autocorrect in iOS 17 is loving terrible.
And if you move the cursor back to the middle of a sentence to correct part of it, it capitalizes the first letter you type no matter where it is. Probably a bug but :sigh:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I installed iOS 17 on my ancient XR. I’m happy they declutterred the messages app a bit more. All those icons were annoying when composing a message.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

I installed iOS 17 on my ancient XR. I’m happy they declutterred the messages app a bit more. All those icons were annoying when composing a message.

As far as I can tell, you can’t edit the sticker list anymore? It’s just a giant scrolly list of any app that supports stickers without any way to remove or move them. That’s insanely dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I feel like the tap targets on the PiP video window have changed for the worse in recent iOS updates, either in size or position.

I’m trying to hit close or return-to-app multiple times now nearly every time, either pausing or doing nothing instead.