Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think that the best setup for Wounded Waters Bleeding is matchup dependent, but I really like Roiling Waters Renew. Throwing extra damage on top of Call to a Fastness of Renewal is really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Based on cool name alone, I'm curious about Serene Waters Taste of Ruin.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

kvx687 posted:

I picked up the online version in the Steam summer sale and have put in a few hours so far, it's been a bit rough but I feel like I'm learning.I do have one question, though- how do I adjust to the event deck? It feels like a lot of the positive events are pretty undertuned and rely on having beasts/Dahan in the same zone as invaders, which at least for the game I've played so far wasn't really happening much, and the negative parts were pretty severe- getting the missionaries card twice in four turns was not great, to put it mildly.

As you are learning, I take events out till you feel you have a handle on the other aspects of the game (power timing, general game flow, using dahan, etc). This isn’t a “git gud” advice, I think there is a lot to learn about the base mechanics without having the higher variance added in. I played a ton of games without myself just because of not having the physical event cards, as it was originally an expansion.

The event deck is a slightly net-negative (harder difficulty) on the game for exactly the reason that positive effects are usually undertuned by way of being niche. And like galaxy trucker teaches us, sometimes the fun is in seeing your best laid plans crumble when the invaders get +1 attack or cancel a ravage (the worst) and punish your defensive risks.

In learning to play around events it’s just learning what can usually happen (which might be harder in digital when you can’t stare at the deck/card as much). There are some categories which can inform your play a bit, others please feel free to add your thoughts on this framework:

Island card: The ones that check whether your island is healthy or not, mostly play around by keeping the island healthy because typically the effects on the blighted island side are much worse. On the healthy side, these cards are usually add invader health or invader attack power, and spread blight on the blighted side. Biggest thing to play around is the +1 attacks, if a land you set up to defend is on the margin and it would be a really bad cascade, then you might want to toss another defend in

Fear card: The ones that check fear level, these usually modify invader behavior, at lower fear levels they usually make aggressive moves towards center or out of dense areas. At higher fear levels they move away from dahan or cancel ravages for builds

Resource spend choice: either spend a bunch of energy modified by symbols for something good, or take a bad effect usually with RNG or punting it to a future turn. Play around it by trying to keep some energy on hand when you are low on cards and can’t discard, and be willing to forget cards if necessary.

Poison pill choice: these suck, usually just two things where one is bad and the other is worse. Generally the options that are beneficial long term are better but very context dependent

Animal effects: keep animals with invaders as much as you can, especially where you dont have presence or are trying to isolate sections of the island. Animals killing an explorer now and then doesnt matter when there are cities around, but its high impact when its a solo explorer in a corner of the island.

Disease effects: these usually mess up the dahan also, and rarely can cancel ravages. You dont need to learn disease too much till you have spirits/powers that put it down

Dahan effects: keep dahan in groups of 2+ so they can grow on the coming of age cards. Keep 3 dahan in your lands so you can get some energy. Keep dahan with invaders so you can benefit from random defense or attacks. Dahan event defense is 1 per hut or 2 if any dahan are present.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just noticed that one of the pictures in the OP of the thread has a Ocean board set up with yellow pieces. Who uses anything other than blue pieces with Ocean?? You have to choose thematically appropriate colours for your spirits, people. Yellow for Lightning, Blue for Ocean, Green for Keeper or Spread!

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

1) Setup a game of Ocean/River/Downpour
2) Watch as your friends fight to the death for the blue pieces
:getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's teal, right? River and Downpour can fight over that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tekopo posted:

I just noticed that one of the pictures in the OP of the thread has a Ocean board set up with yellow pieces. Who uses anything other than blue pieces with Ocean?? You have to choose thematically appropriate colours for your spirits, people. Yellow for Lightning, Blue for Ocean, Green for Keeper or Spread!

Agreed, this is a much worse offense than the picture of River playing a Lightning unique that even Lightning doesn’t play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To be fair, if River had that unique it would play the hell out of it. For that matter even River being in the game is enough to get Lightning to play it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Raging Storm is hilarious if anyone else is playing anything with strong gather potential. Or if someone is playing Irresistible Call.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Poopy Palpy posted:

Agreed, this is a much worse offense than the picture of River playing a Lightning unique that even Lightning doesn’t play.

There is a major that lets you swap cards with another spirit.

That's probably not what happened.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I used yellow in a river/ocean game because its River Surges in Sunlight :colbert:

E: Agreed generally that you must play the color pieces of whatever your spirit is, what the heck. Only acceptable omni-color is purple because purple is the top 3 best color of pieces to play in any game

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 20, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For Wounded Water you have to switch to red or blue depending on what you end up as

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I usually pick in reverse. I chose a color that appeals to me that session and choose a spirit based on that.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
have become enough of an obsessive that I am considering trying to make custom presence tokens for each spirit, as modeled in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2602282/custom-presence-tokens

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I slam pick purple for every game but I might keep a bag of rocks around for when I play Stone's Unyielding Defiance.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I never use blue for water or green for plant because it feels too literal, but i do use blue tokens to track downpour repeats and it looks like we can all agree purple is universal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
purple just fits every fear spirit, maybe just due to the little fear stat bar being the same. The true connoisseur understands that Vengeance Like a Burning Plague is an orange spirit despite all of its red.

Relentless Gaze of the Sun should small bright button LED lights

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If we're getting creative with it, I feel like Vengeance should get the disease cubes from Pandemic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I want to encase smb3 angry sun sprites in resin to use as presence for Gaze.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I want to encase smb3 angry sun sprites in resin to use as presence for Gaze.

ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who visualizes the smb3 sun every single time I think of Gaze. For some reason the Thwomp sound from super mario 64 also plays in my head. I don't know why. The sun in smb3 doesn't even make that sound. maybe it's the similar expression.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I pick purple only if I'm playing BoDaN, seems to fit to me.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

EU backers got hit with a 12 weeks delay because reading is hard or something. :bravo:
This means getting the game from retail should be both faster and cheaper, so I suggest EU goons keep an eye out for that while it's in stock.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For wounded waters bleeding on turn 5, can you use the new innate on the same fast powers phase you get it? Seeking a path towards healing specifies "once you've played CARDS, but doesn't (I think) require the fast phase to actually end. Is that right?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Playing cards happens before fast phase. It’s part of the spirit phase.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you'd think that after like 20 solo games of the Stranded aspect with Shroud i'd start remembering to use my isolates. but no. i need to make a big ISOLATE chip and flip it once i've used it or something.

Got to play Locus Serpent and Mentor Memory in 3p games recently and wow those are fun. Especially with players who are a little newer to the game you can wind up doing a lot of fun support to help them clear boards without engaging in any obvious "let me get in there and fix that for you" quarterbacking behavior. It's really cool that Locus can almost definitely solve one land per turn with the "play other player's actions at the locus" mechanic, but still has to scrounge around for ways to deal with anything else. And if you go for an early majors build, you may wind up paying for energy every turn, because you'll need to use energy for the extra power repeats as well as whatever you drafted.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been working my way through the new spirits, slowly, just one game each against Prussia 3 so I can try everyone out under basically ideal conditions. I saved the dog for last and I'm getting owned with it, which I expected.

With solo Deeps I have a suspicion that in many games your first three turns are all about sinking land #1 so you can reach #8 asap. This is more like base Oceans than I was hoping (game plan: pure bottom track, take control of #1, dig for nuke for the inland). It still feels like a cool aspect.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ragnar34 posted:

I've been working my way through the new spirits, slowly, just one game each against Prussia 3 so I can try everyone out under basically ideal conditions. I saved the dog for last and I'm getting owned with it, which I expected.

With solo Deeps I have a suspicion that in many games your first three turns are all about sinking land #1 so you can reach #8 asap. This is more like base Oceans than I was hoping (game plan: pure bottom track, take control of #1, dig for nuke for the inland). It still feels like a cool aspect.

I feel like you'd need to make ocean's top track a lot less lovely if you wanted people to not spam minors. As is, its only purpose is to help a bit if you've been completely screwed drafting elements.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd like some advice regarding Spread of Rampant Green. I've been playing some two-spirit games and partnering him with offensive spirits like Ocean or Rising Heat; he's great at boosting out the other's presence and using his innate to block troublesome ravages, but I'm not sure what to focus on beyond that. His energy income just feels too low to do anything high-impact, at a max of 3/turn he can't get most majors out reliably, and he doesn't have any particular offense outside of his innate which requires some decent investment to actually get any use which means the team has some issues when partnered with spirits that have presence restrictions or prefer to build up instead of spreading out. Should I just bite the bullet and focus entirely on support while letting the partner spirit do all the killing? Any particular powers I should be looking out for?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Rampant Green can afford to spam the +1 card +3 energy growth a lot, so in the mid and late game you can easily get 1-2 majors out per reclaim cycle. Also, between your starter cards and your track elements (which you unlock very quickly) you don't actually have much need to draft plant cards, so feel free to focus on picking up moon and/or water cards first and foremost in order to juice your innates. In general drafting for damage is a good idea; you already have a ton of built in defense so defensive powers are usually overkill, and you have a lot of weak damage on tap that's good for comboing with other damage to boost them up to city kills.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I often fish the major pile for Blazing Renewal. It's a poor element match, but it pairs well with presence sacrifice and totally changes the game for Rampant Green. In general, I'll take the +power growth option and lose the major in my discard to pick up a new major and then reclaim one turn later when possible.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have managed to get a win with every base spirit sans Bringer of Dreams And Nightmares. NGL maties the defend card on fear not impressive. I think I managed to get like to Fear 3 and 3 cards remaining before blighting out. But it does feels like a weird act trying to go all Top track and hoping that a combination of powers and constant fear spam to get the 36 Fear tokens needed to get the fear victory.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

NGL maties the defend card on fear not impressive.

Yeah, it can be fun in team games where someone else can pump it up but when you have 2 card plays you don't want to spend both of them just to set it up and pump fear into it (and if you just use your innate alone to pump it you're paying 2 energy for defend 2-4.) But you usually wind up jettisoning your cards for majors anyhow.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, it can be fun in team games where someone else can pump it up but when you have 2 card plays you don't want to spend both of them just to set it up and pump fear into it (and if you just use your innate alone to pump it you're paying 2 energy for defend 2-4.) But you usually wind up jettisoning your cards for majors anyhow.

I'm still trying to figure out bodan. So far I'm not doing great with bodan in terms of mitigating invader building or getting dahan to wipe out more troublesome lands. I still need like 6 blight points to win using level 0 rules.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Checked my win sheet and looks like I've only got a Sweden Level 1 (Difficulty 2) BoDaN victory logged on there. And that was some time ago. I'll run a game soon and see how it goes and what strategies I end up going with.

For a solo game you'll be locked into teching for majors, I have no doubt. RedRevenge is, as far as I know, the best and most thorough Spirit Island creator in terms of in-depth strategic analyses. He's got a number of play-throughs for BoDaN against high-level adversaries as well as normal strategy guides.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

I'm still trying to figure out bodan. So far I'm not doing great with bodan in terms of mitigating invader building or getting dahan to wipe out more troublesome lands. I still need like 6 blight points to win using level 0 rules.

In small games BoDaN really can't afford to worry too much about invader control or defense. If the opportunity comes up to block a build or get a nice counterattack on the cheap then take it, but you can't afford to spend a lot of resources trying to force it. Most of the time your goal is to set up the biggest dream kills possible and hope that the fear deck bails you out. A juicy major that dream-kills a city + town + town gets you 9 fear, which in a level 0 solo is 2 cards and 25% of the way to a fear victory by itself.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

In small games BoDaN really can't afford to worry too much about invader control or defense. If the opportunity comes up to block a build or get a nice counterattack on the cheap then take it, but you can't afford to spend a lot of resources trying to force it. Most of the time your goal is to set up the biggest dream kills possible and hope that the fear deck bails you out. A juicy major that dream-kills a city + town + town gets you 9 fear, which in a level 0 solo is 2 cards and 25% of the way to a fear victory by itself.

I was able to win with the branch and claw expansion on tabletop. apparently drawing an entire crowd with Draw of Consuming Void giving 4 fear and 15 damage to get an extra 5 fear per town, 2 fear a city gives a massive fear bomb and got me a legitimate victory. I think I like BoDaN but it seriously feels very rng dependent to get the majors needed to help get the Fear Victory.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 14, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've had more success with him after adding B&C, too. You're right that he has no outs if he just gets screwed on majors draws

I don't have JE or NI, so can't speak on those

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Annointed posted:

I was able to win with the branch and claw expansion on tabletop. apparently drawing an entire crowed with Draw of Consuming Void giving 4 fear and 15 damage to get an extra 5 fear per town, 2 fear a city gives a massive fear bomb and got me a legitimate victory. I think I like BoDaN but it seriously feels very rng dependent to get the majors needed to help get the Fear Victory.

this is the big critcism of BODAN and it is strongly mitigated by the two new aspects avaialble for it in NI

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Impermanent posted:

this is the big critcism of BODAN and it is strongly mitigated by the two new aspects avaialble for it in NI

Mind if I ask what those two aspects are and how they help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Annointed posted:

Mind if I ask what those two aspects are and how they help?

Violence
“Fill their dreams with your unbridled wrath”
Replaces Innate Power Spirits May Yet Dream

Setup: Gain 1 Energy. Replace Dreams of the Dahan with Bats Scout for Raids by Darkness (Minor Power)

Special Rule:
Nightmares of Violence and Death
Card Plays on your bottom Presence track grant twice as many Plays during the Spirit Phase. These extra Card Plays can only be used for Power Cards with Damage or Destroy instructions.
When To Dream A Thousand Deaths generates Fear, generate +1 Fear per affected Explorer / Town (to 1/3/5 Fear for Explorer/Town/City, respectively).

----------------

Enticing
“More dreams, fewer nightmares”
Replaces Innate Power Night Terrors

Innate Power:
Enticing and Lulling Dreams
Speed: Fast | Range: 1 from Presence | Target Land: Any

2 Moon, 1 Air: Each Invader/Dahan does -1 Damage while in target land.

2 Moon, 2 Animal: Gather up to 1 Explorers / Towns.

3 Moon, 2 Air, 1 Animal: Each Invader / Dahan does -1 Damage while in target land.

4 Moon, 3 Air, 2 Animal: Gather up to 4 Explorers / Towns.