Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I would say they're more aggressive at taking back towns now. I had to set up another squad and a 3rd for moving around and just retraining militia.

Ernie island is a hard fight fyi if you wanna take it all back. But they sent patrols from there so you kinda need to secure it.

Bad guys drop better loot now though and sometimes other stuff that's pretty valuable so you should be able to afford it fairly quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, that went a lot better. Surprisingly my militia was able to win one fight so now I'm in control of Fleatown and my income has gone to poo poo.

Are the enemies sending patrols to take back towns as aggressively as before, or am I safe to split my team to go and take mines back across the world?

Also I assume I want to take Ernie Island back when I can, as well.

post-refugee camp:

I'm roughly in the same spot.
I defended the communist town against 3 groups (luckily separate fights), liberated A2 mines with 12 mercs and I'm currently liberating the tutorial Island.
No counter attacks so far, but the battles are pretty rough.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 20, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What strategy did yall use for the refugee camp? I currently see no way to win it without cheesing it massively.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Position your guys carefully before triggering the fight, including mg setups.
Use Barry’s shaped charges and liquify fools. Prox explosives near the tree work too.
Stay spaced out, but still in one group to fight your way down the hill.
Take advantage of the height where you start off with. The enemies have to climb to you.
Don’t panic about mortars, you can be at the edges of the circle and still get away clean. But stay mobile.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Xarn posted:

What strategy did yall use for the refugee camp? I currently see no way to win it without cheesing it massively.

A 6 shot grenade launcher and RPGs.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I've been cruising through the game without much difficulty so far. I took Fleatown and most of Port Cacao while doing lots of sidequests, but now I realized my money is starting to dwindle, and when I went to The Good Place I got so hosed up.

I'm just going to load my old save file before I went to the Good Place, but where should I go next?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xarn posted:

Make sure you tackle it with both squads if that’s not obvious

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had to do some serious micro management to get two teams at once in Refugee camp at the same time (is there really not an option to sync travel/arrival for squads?) since the other one was so much faster, I had to calculate when to start travelling so that they'd arrive at the same time - but I succeeded eventually. After that I had enough firepower to take most of the enemies out pretty fast.

Although right now it feels like with armored enemies my snipers beginner snipers aren't up to it anymore, success rates for headshots have dropped drastically and I end up making torso shots. I'm mostly using M24 and a few Dragunovs. Ivan has a Galil, Barry rocks a FN-FAL in addition to throwing bombs, Vicki has double Uzis and Fauda is using RPK. Dr. Q doesn't hit even the broad side of a barn so I'd have to make some time to train him a lot.

Another thing about the Refugee camp that was pretty funny was how realism had to be sidelined due to it being a game. I mean how the military guy makes a speech while surrounded by my 12 guys with guns in hand and then just walks to his car without anyone doing anything. We could've just shot the big bad guy full of holes then and there, you guys?!?

Also, is there really no way to split an ammo stack in squad inventory screen, and I have to go to tactical to split a stack of 40mm grenades?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 20, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Don't forget to use the appropriate ammo, AP rounds and whatnot. Also, you can convert your base ammo into specialized variants with some parts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3007139970 Goddammit, those shotgunners WERE cheating with their move range. 30% on hard is nasty but holy poo poo people on the hardest mode, you guys are getting hosed

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What I am hearing is that I need to upgun. I still roll with my 5 initial mercs + 2 losers to train depleted militia. :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So yeah, i think, especially with the improved burst mod, overwatch is really good and viable, especially for lower agility mercs.

You do need to build your guns for it and set up ahead of time but you get way more shots downrange with overwatch than trying to rely on the active turn.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol on replay a stray shot at Red Diamond destroyed the unique rifle you can loot -_-

guess I'll console that one in

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Dandywalken posted:

lol on replay a stray shot at Red Diamond destroyed the unique rifle you can loot -_-

guess I'll console that one in

Wait, I must have missed that. Also I saw something posted about a machete at some point too I've also missed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I put that unique machete The Thing on Blood and he absolutely destroys fools with it.

You get it from solving the conflict between Boss Blaubert and Luigi. Be warned though, the prison (Good Place) is likely the most difficult encounter you'll face in the game at that point - at least it was for me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, that went a lot better. Surprisingly my militia was able to win one fight so now I'm in control of Fleatown and my income has gone to poo poo.

Are the enemies sending patrols to take back towns as aggressively as before, or am I safe to split my team to go and take mines back across the world?

Also I assume I want to take Ernie Island back when I can, as well.

I'm only on normal but the army raids have so far only been 4 troops, and the militia seems to handle them as well as the legion raids. far less frequent so far too

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

TeaJay posted:

I put that unique machete The Thing on Blood and he absolutely destroys fools with it.

You get it from solving the conflict between Boss Blaubert and Luigi. Be warned though, the prison (Good Place) is likely the most difficult encounter you'll face in the game at that point - at least it was for me.

Ah! I've done that fight and really didn't find it difficult at all, but i am rocking a team with exceptional guns, a lot of AP ammo, explosives and they're all highly trained now too.

I've not finished that quest line yet though.

I really did find that mission quite easy though, I assaulted from the side, in the dog, at night and shadow managed to clear the edges of the map solo and the centre part, we managed assaulted from 3 directions, Including 3 mercs who had managed to sneak inside the centre compound.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the fight is mostly difficult due to the boss having an end game shotgun which can absolutely demolish you, while also being garrisoned inside so he's sticky and doesn't come running

if you solve for X tho it's just your standard fight, yea

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Azhais posted:

I'm only on normal but the army raids have so far only been 4 troops, and the militia seems to handle them as well as the legion raids. far less frequent so far too

Difficulty is a HUGE autoresolve factor. On medium difficulty I lose 2-3 militia per raid. Im def more motivated to shut down outposts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TeaJay posted:

Does killing absolutely everyone in that encounter work for acquiring it

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How much time do I have to do the refugee camp thing and unleash phase 2? I haven't even taken Port Cacao completely since I chose to go for Pantagruel first, heading downwards, and have yet to start clearing the two outposts by the first half of the big river. Also I have to rescue Biff since an enemy squad is on its way to gently caress him up

Man, I feel like I'm doing the game all wrong lol. Maybe I should do one final restart since some cool rebalance mods are coming out now, though with my luck a patch might hit before the weekend.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

toasterwarrior posted:

How much time do I have to do the refugee camp thing and unleash phase 2? I haven't even taken Port Cacao completely since I chose to go for Pantagruel first, heading downwards, and have yet to start clearing the two outposts by the first half of the big river. Also I have to rescue Biff since an enemy squad is on its way to gently caress him up

Man, I feel like I'm doing the game all wrong lol. Maybe I should do one final restart since some cool rebalance mods are coming out now, though with my luck a patch might hit before the weekend.

It's not timed. It's based on other things. The only way to trigger it without going to the refugee camp is to get near where you rescue the president.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
What makes more of a difference when training militia: higher leadership or the teaching perk? Right now I have MD going around training militia because he's cheap with the teacher perk but I noticed Len, with his high leadership, has been churning out militia in something like 15 hours. Versus MD doing it in something over 24 hours.

Also I think I shot myself in the foot with the Sanitorium quest. Maybe someone can confirm. I killed the doctor immediately. I figured she was doing some Dr. Mengele poo poo so I just shot her. Did I screw myself out of being able to use that hospital?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So I could very well ignore the camp, conquer the entire map, and as I'm about to wrap up it'll cause phase 2 to pop off? Weird, but thank you for the answer regardless

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

Any way to bring two squads underground? I have finished the mean bunker underneath the camp on the Ernie Island, but sure wish I could have brought a few more guns down there. I presume there will be more "boss bunkers"?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For those using the hit chance display mod: I just realized something and maybe I'm mistaken but nothing in the game says crouching or going prone increases your accuracy (save for when you have bipods), only that they make you harder to hit/see, right? Does anything show up in the hit chance?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does killing absolutely everyone in that encounter work for acquiring it

I have no idea, I sided with Boss since the other option was even worse.

I also sided with Boss against Smiley since he's an annoying little creep

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, why didn't they make the discoverable mercs cool. Like where's battle-tested Ira with a belt of grenades and a big scar?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

loving hell MD, I expected this from Meltdown not you.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
1000% agreed though that these devs did the absolute best a fan-game style sequel could do with the tone and everything. This really nailed it, and I'm incredibly cynical about devs these days managing to give their game that indefinable quality the old classics have.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Croccers posted:

loving hell MD, I expected this from Meltdown not you.

I got this, except it was from Mouse- apparently Stella requested it
... oh, and Dr.Q asked for a kill with throwing knives

A dozen men suffered horribly, three of them with knives in their junk (Q ran out of AP while they were still alive, so Ice killsecured them)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s supposed to happen relatively quickly. That’s how you shave off the fourth shield on the fort.

Did you meet Bastien in the starting square? I didn't do that the first two times I played, but this time I did and the counterattack happened. I wonder if maybe that's the trigger or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
where do you find those character missions, anyway? i've coincidentally completed a few but never saw the details.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Apparently a dude on Mod nexus or Moddb made a mod to disassemble ammo for gunpowder. Def interested in that

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

where do you find those character missions, anyway? i've coincidentally completed a few but never saw the details.

And what do they even do? Just reward more XP?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Apparently a dude on Mod nexus or Moddb made a mod to disassemble ammo for gunpowder. Def interested in that
Maybe I should install that. Then again, I think if I did install it I would probably go crazy with lmgs. Then again, LMGs are fun. I did get an HK21 from one of the lootboxes, and one of the guys in the same sector dropped a minimi. Could be time to equip Ivan and Grunty with bullet hoses.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Minimi is fun, ammo aside. Not having the Cumbersome penalty on an LMG is nice.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Disassemble ammo for gunpowder mostly works (You do it via Craft Ammo op) but the Scrap from Ammo is broken af.

How SMALL are you making the pieces?!?

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Steak posted:

Also I think I shot myself in the foot with the Sanitorium quest. Maybe someone can confirm. I killed the doctor immediately. I figured she was doing some Dr. Mengele poo poo so I just shot her. Did I screw myself out of being able to use that hospital?

You miss out on the zombie outbreak cure questline if you kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Kind of confused as to how melee attacks work. Sometimes it feels like I can just keep hitting over and over with a knife, even though I'm missing and don't have enough AP to make another attack. I think it's something to do with the "Free move after melee attack" perk?