Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

call us if the bats start re-enacting scenes from Paranormal Activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The next patient zero right here on SA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I love bat

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

:phoneb: Hi Game Commission, yeah the bats are being real dicks now. Yeah they're calling me a noob, slapping my rear end & tummy (exposed midriff - long story), trying to get me to say "what" because they say that's what a loser says. No they're still not watching me sleep. Yeah okay I'll call back.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

you called the game commission lol

lmao

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you're supposed to call the game commission for bat-related issues in Pennsylvania!

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol if you've got bats in your house in the UK they just tell you "too loving bad, they're yours now."

https://cdn.bats.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Living-with-Bats.pdf?v=1634310006

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rabies is a hell of a way to die

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
stop trolling me about rabies

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol if you've got bats in your house in the UK they just tell you "too loving bad, they're yours now."

https://cdn.bats.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Living-with-Bats.pdf?v=1634310006

as it should be. bats are harmless, they're sweet-natured, they're intelligent and social, and they pay rent by the weight in mosquitoes they eat. this is good use of state power.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
apparently bats in the UK don't carry rabies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aw frig aw dang it posted:

:phoneb: Hi Game Commission, yeah the bats are being real dicks now. Yeah they're calling me a noob, slapping my rear end & tummy (exposed midriff - long story), trying to get me to say "what" because they say that's what a loser says. No they're still not watching me sleep. Yeah okay I'll call back.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

stop trolling me about rabies

schnorkles is to scat as pfc is to bat (rabies)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

flying puppies pissing and making GBS threads from my ceiling

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

A Bad King posted:

as it should be. bats are harmless, they're sweet-natured, they're intelligent and social, and they pay rent by the weight in mosquitoes they eat. this is good use of state power.

also their poo is valuable and can be used to make explosives

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...n=snd-autopilot

quote:

Soon, in Bloomfield Township, Ishbia will own Michigan’s largest occupied house, estimated to be at least 60,000 square feet when it’s complete, says the township assessor’s office

quote:

One of those tear-downs is where he lives now. It's a 22,000-square-foot house that Ishbia built after demolishing two other houses, both of them 1950s ranch houses — the style that was hot in the nation's housing boom after World War II. Aging ranch houses sometimes gain additions, growing up with second stories, or out with new kitchens and family rooms. In affluent areas, they've been leveled for the last two decades, making way for new, more fashionable and much larger houses. Nowhere in Michigan, however, have ranch houses made way for anything this big.

quote:

Ishbia's current house is by no means an expendable ranch. It's only eight years old, has won design awards and starred in glossy design magazines. It seems far too new to destroy

it’ll have trampoline park, lazy river, batting cages, rock walls, waterfalls etc etc, and he razed normal houses, including his own current 22000 sqft house to do it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

pwned myself, house has been humid and miserable the past week and, after crawling around in the attic fixing ductwork and spraying expanding foam in every wall/roof hole that cable guys have drilled since the 60's and weather sealing the attic hatch, i broke down and bought a dehumidifier so we can finally sleep at night

turns out a window had been cracked open the whole time behind the blinds leaking jungle air into the house for weeks. immediately fixed the humidity (or significantly mitigated it at least). somehow no bats came in though thankfully

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
been looking in homes now and yesterday 2/3 had such bad smells I had to leave. guess not having covid helps since my realtor wasn’t too bothered lol. these are like 500k+ homes too so I was like yikes.

also, if you have a hole in the wall please fix it before showing.

looking forward to viewing tons of houses this weekend and fingers crossed we find one.

my 1920s house is in such good shape and well built compared to the crap I’ve been seeing it will be bitter sweet to leave my current house but economic conditions are making us relocate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the smells are usually dogs and cats which are unholy if you are not used to them

imho

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, what kind of smells were they?

Smelling is my superpower so I get having to walk out but some smells can be remediated & others can't.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also their poo is valuable and can be used to grow weed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think most dogs smell gross (including my own past dogs) but my current dog smells weirdly pleasant. Like what a dog scented candle would smell like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably covid, op

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Smelling is my superpower so I get having to walk out but some smells can be remediated & others can't.

one made me feel like I was huffing solvents, it wasn’t new paint because everything was old. it was in the basement where the crawl space door was left open so the smell probably was from that space that had a plastic covering around it.

the 2nd was the smell of the tires and poo poo in the garage seeping though into the living room

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

My mom can smell a gnat fart in a hurricane, it sounds like hell.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

from nyt thing on buying a place. she put 5% down

quote:

Their offer of $635,000 was accepted. Instead of getting a traditional 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, they went with a 10-year adjustable-rate mortgage, which they plan to refinance in the next few years.

“The interest rate can change,” Mx. Haymon said. “I knew that, going in, I only needed to be able to afford the interest rate for two years.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sonatinas posted:

one made me feel like I was huffing solvents, it wasn’t new paint because everything was old. it was in the basement where the crawl space door was left open so the smell probably was from that space that had a plastic covering around it.

the 2nd was the smell of the tires and poo poo in the garage seeping though into the living room

Yeah, that first one could be a former meth lab.

If you see a place you like & want you can always hire an environmental engineer to do testing, although I have no idea what that costs, and if you made that inspection a contingency the sellers would prolly laugh & move on.

PerniciousKnid posted:

My mom can smell a gnat fart in a hurricane, it sounds like hell.

It is. Even when I smoked cigs I had the nose of a pregnant greyhound.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

One house I went into had a broken sewage line in the basement, the floor was soaked and the entire house smelled like poo poo top to bottom. An older person was somehow living there.

It sold for $350k

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

from nyt thing on buying a place. she put 5% down

Nothing bad happening here in any way

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sewage smells are the absolute worst.

Or maybe tied with the turned-off refrigerator of dead game my parents' friend had left in a vacation home in wisconsin after her husband died that we went to help her clean out when I was 12.

Over 50 years later I can still recall how rank that was.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I live downwind from a garbage dump, it's a gross sour smell.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/rea...6aebd5c73&ei=16

quote:

Loan officer: I’m seeing middle class homebuyers take on $7,000 mortgages thinking they can ‘always refinance when rates come down in the future’

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

lol 7k monthly payment and middle class lmao

my loan officer pushed the refinance later angle and I was like, I’m not gonna gamble on that

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The Oldest Man posted:

I think most dogs smell gross (including my own past dogs) but my current dog smells weirdly pleasant. Like what a dog scented candle would smell like.

part Dalmatian?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vomik posted:

part Dalmatian?

I'm pretty sure he's just a regular human

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure he's just a regular human

lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

5% down on 635k home with 10/1 ARM at current rates (around 6.4%, which isn't even that much better than fixed) is over 7k/month

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

actionjackson posted:

5% down on 635k home with 10/1 ARM at current rates (around 6.4%, which isn't even that much better than fixed) is over 7k/month

it’s a poor financial decision for sure but 10/1 arms are still 30 years so the payment is like $300 a month less for the first 10 years

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm not sure it's possible right now to make anything that's not a poor financial decision, unless you bought ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure it's possible right now to make anything that's not a poor financial decision, unless you bought ten years ago.

yeah although I meant in terms of people without a lot of money trying to use all sorts of rich people financial instruments.

although what is really hosed up is houses are EVEN MORE expensive with no corresponding drop in avg home price but yet - renting with annual inflation and never being able to set it at a constant means those who can’t afford continue to get poorer.

love our vulture based economics :|