Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I need to find some more secondary jobs. All the ones I've found so far just double up on jobs I already have in my party.

I think I want to stick to the first four people I got - Throne, Osvald, Temenos and Agnea, and do their stories as a group, and then do the latter four as a second group. Assuming they all hold my interest - I take it you need to complete them all to get the ending/main baddie whatever it is.

I did Ochette's chapter 1 and it was fine but I'm glad I didn't start there cos it was kind of bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

roomtone posted:

I need to find some more secondary jobs. All the ones I've found so far just double up on jobs I already have in my party.

I think I want to stick to the first four people I got - Throne, Osvald, Temenos and Agnea, and do their stories as a group, and then do the latter four as a second group. Assuming they all hold my interest - I take it you need to complete them all to get the ending/main baddie whatever it is.

I did Ochette's chapter 1 and it was fine but I'm glad I didn't start there cos it was kind of bland.

The "best" way for me (subjectively, etc) was to lock in two as your main pair and cycle the other six. That way you've got a pair who're capable of beating whatever's giving the other two trouble while they're leveling up. I used Throne and Osvald.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I did was just cycle my party as I felt like and did all eight stories sort of concurrently. Like I'd do everyone's chapter 2 (or one of their chapter 2s), then 3, etc. But also doing four and four is a pretty popular way to play, too. Either works. I did like doing all eight as I went, though, because it kept things really varied and also made it feel more like these eight people were all traveling together for the whole time.

You do need to complete all eight to unlock the final chapter.

Levels shouldn't be a concern, anyone who's behind in level can catch up pretty quickly. In a lot of ways gear is more important than levels anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I try to follow everyone's story individually until you can unleash a spirit bomb of 3-4 character quests within a single town. Wellgrove is about to burst.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

exquisite tea posted:

Throne Chapter 3: That fight with Father goes hard. To find out your mentor/abuser killed your birth mother, after she aborted her own child with him, and then raised you as his own all in the span of about five minutes. And then after all that, to still mourn him in a really hosed up way because he's the only father figure you've ever really known. What a tragic character! Didn't expect this cutesy retro JRPG to get that dark.

Yeah, I definitely felt sorry for him even if he was a remorseless assassin who killed the woman he loved. Curious to hear your thoughts on the last chapter when you get there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I meant moreso that Throne was the tragic character for loving him, although there is a twisted pathos in raising the daughter of the woman you murdered out of jealousy in the hopes that she would one day kill you.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
On the subject of path actions, the game is fairly clever in that it'll force you to use certain ones. Like for instance even if you dont like to use Temenos, he is the only person who can get info at night and that plays a role in certain important side quests. Osvald is also the only person who can obtain certain items from night time npcs. Since some of those items will either not be an item the npc will give up or require a ridiculously high leveled Agnea to get.

Castti is another notable one because her skill works on any npc at any level. So if you are the type to sneak into higher level towns and look around you can actually get some very strong equipment pretty early if you use her skill at the right spots.

Though I do agree that I ended up using Ochette's actions the least out of everyone. But her path actions being mediocre is probably a small price to pay for how busted her unique battle skills are. Also jerky is an easy way to buff in battle so there's that.

I think the game does a great job of making every character useful in some way.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Provoke can be pretty good in the midgame, if you've managed to capture an enemy from a much higher level area to let you punch above your weight class. I knocked out more than a few NPCs using a ratking from the abandoned clock tower.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The funny thing is that Ochette was actually my least used party member. Not that she wasn't good, but her (and Osvald) are basically just there to do damage, which basically means they're competing against Hikari. And usually I'm filling the other slots with utility like Castti/Agnea instead (Partitio is always slot 1 in the party, and in my heart).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

exquisite tea posted:

I meant moreso that Throne was the tragic character for loving him, although there is a twisted pathos in raising the daughter of the woman you murdered out of jealousy in the hopes that she would one day kill you.

Oops, that's what I get for browsing early in the day. Definitely agreed on Throne though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The funny thing is that Ochette was actually my least used party member. Not that she wasn't good, but her (and Osvald) are basically just there to do damage, which basically means they're competing against Hikari. And usually I'm filling the other slots with utility like Castti/Agnea instead (Partitio is always slot 1 in the party, and in my heart).

At endgame, Ochette becomes amazing at breaking targets with Provoke Beasts. She can’t beat Hikari’s damage but she can break pretty much anything instantly.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’m nowhere near endgame but Ochette kicks rear end because it’s fun to fully boost precision shot for no good reason and tag everyone.

And Leghold Trap is busted as gently caress and I love it.

But I don’t see her as much of a damage dealer, personally, outside of a fully boosted latent ability.

Does she just need subjobs to take off, damage wise?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah she can do great damage with subjobs like Warrior or Armsmaster. Her ability to break enemies instantly with Provoke Beasts is her real biggest strength, though, IMO. Hikari, Throné, Osvald, and Temenos can all do great damage so you don't really need another mega damage dealer in the late/endgame, while Ochette's beasts let her be super versatile and great at breaking.

Really everyone's great in this game, it's just a matter of playing to their strengths.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’ve barely explored the potential of grabbing beasts. So much fiddly stuff with that, what with them going obsolete, picking and choosing the right lineup for widest weakness coverage, etc etc. It’s a credit to the game that I’ve been able to mostly ignore that and it’s been fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

At endgame, Ochette becomes amazing at breaking targets with Provoke Beasts. She can’t beat Hikari’s damage but she can break pretty much anything instantly.

Merchant works just as well if you need a universal shield break. Not that Provoke Beasts is bad it's just that it's not the most unique selling point for her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Merchant works just as well if you need a universal shield break. Not that Provoke Beasts is bad it's just that it's not the most unique selling point for her.

Merchant can do obscene damage too if you find the extra hired help option...

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think about 50% of more of my annoyance with random battles at this point in life is that it interrupts the good new music I'm trying to listen to in an area with the same 1 or 2 battle themes I've heard hundreds of times. That's what causes the 'agh, poo poo, not again' reflex.

At the start of the game it didn't do that for some apparently story related battles and I got my hopes up.

I've got evasive maneuvers to lower the rate, but is there a no-encounter skill you can get at some point? I just want to roam around sometimes and the random battles are pretty mindless. I'd rather chug along then get battered by a boss and do a bit of focused battling to power up as needed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

roomtone posted:

This is how I did it and found it pretty enjoyable. My first four was the same save for I had Ochette instead of Agnea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

roomtone posted:

I think about 50% of more of my annoyance with random battles at this point in life is that it interrupts the good new music I'm trying to listen to in an area with the same 1 or 2 battle themes I've heard hundreds of times. That's what causes the 'agh, poo poo, not again' reflex.

At the start of the game it didn't do that for some apparently story related battles and I got my hopes up.

I've got evasive maneuvers to lower the rate, but is there a no-encounter skill you can get at some point? I just want to roam around sometimes and the random battles are pretty mindless. I'd rather chug along then get battered by a boss and do a bit of focused battling to power up as needed.

There's an accessory for it but it's pretty much for when you're about done with the game.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

So what is the most unique selling point for Ochette

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
she goes "awoooo, heheh"

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

she goes "awoooo, heheh"

“I’M STARVINGGG”

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
By the way, for those who have Final Bar Line, the DLC pack for Octopath 1 is up (Main Theme, Primrose, the Dancer, Decsiive Battle II, Battle at Journey's End, Daughter of the Dark God).

I hope they have an Octopath 2 DLC pack planned, all I need from it are Partitio's Theme and Critical Clash II).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
actually i've got a super easy solution to not having random battles be a waste of time.

the danger level feature. if it's higher than your average party level, keep them on, if it's lower, turn them off. doesn't just remove time waste encounters but keeps EXP within a more defined curve.

problem solved and it's not only right there it's highlighted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Giving Dancer to Partitio was the best decision I've made in this game yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
max boost Stimulate

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I was having a pretty good time making my own difficulty by attempting chapters with levels and gear at least a tier or two below (except for my main’s levels ofc) - Osvald even managed to die by wrench to evil steam secretary guy!

Then I discovered limb from limb and divine protection. Turns out nothing matters when you have those. Guess Hikari is support only now!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

she goes "awoooo, heheh"

:hai:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

roomtone posted:

actually i've got a super easy solution to not having random battles be a waste of time.

the danger level feature. if it's higher than your average party level, keep them on, if it's lower, turn them off. doesn't just remove time waste encounters but keeps EXP within a more defined curve.

problem solved and it's not only right there it's highlighted.
Really hope they implement something like this for Octo 3. The overworld is very pleasant and I wouldn't mind walking around and just looking at stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

While we're discussing wishlist features for Octo 3, I wonder if in the next game they could make it so you didn't have to complete every character's story to see the end, but there were a lot more crossed paths and interstitial chapters along the way to encourage repeat playthroughs. I like it when the gang finally gets to interact with one another but I got almost 30 hours in before those quests started popping up. I feel like most players are probably going to stick with the first 4-5 characters they meet anyway so having more individualized pathways would make every new game feel more unique.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

While we're discussing wishlist features for Octo 3, I wonder if in the next game they could make it so you didn't have to complete every character's story to see the end, but there were a lot more crossed paths and interstitial chapters along the way to encourage repeat playthroughs. I like it when the gang finally gets to interact with one another but I got almost 30 hours in before those quests started popping up. I feel like most players are probably going to stick with the first 4-5 characters they meet anyway so having more individualized pathways would make every new game feel more unique.

That sounds like a Octo/SaGa mash up and I'm totally for it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

The problem is a question of permutations. You have to account for players going off in any order and any party, so your options are either a LOT of interstitial dialogue for all the possibilities, generic dialogue for "if character present" or nothing. Sticking the cross-character dialogue and side-chapters in the latter parts of the game is safe, because you're far more likely to have the full set of characters.

What they really need to do is lock in a requirement for having the full eight characters before progressing, as it drastically cuts down the permutations needed. Moreso if they'd just let you retain the full eight at once (ie; You could definitively say all X characters needed for a conversation are present because they've cleared all eight prologues).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I could maybe see some kind of gimmick where everyone’s prologue ends with them going to the central hub city for whatever reason (IE the thief figures it’s easiest to hide in the crowds)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I do like this game but the basic gimmick of having 8 characters with their own stories which you can do in any order adds basically nothing for me and prohibits any character relationship building outside of the entirely linear solo stories. I don't see any advantage from a player standpoint - you could have non-linearity and different orders just by saying oh, well you need x people in your party to start this chapter, the same way you still can't do chapter 3 before chapter 2 in this.

What I feel playing this is the constant whiff of a classic RPG, and it's very good at that. When I get the party banter pop ups I appreciate it, but every time I think, ah, it would be cool if they interacted for real.

From a dev standpoint I can see how it would be more manageable since you can have people working on different questlines and just stitch them together later. But ease of development isn't a reason. It's easy to make pong.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I could maybe see some kind of gimmick where everyone’s prologue ends with them going to the central hub city for whatever reason (IE the thief figures it’s easiest to hide in the crowds)

The Wild ARMs approach.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was thinking more like maybe every character has only say 4 chapters in their main story and it's even possible to beat the game without finding everyone, but the characters themselves all play a larger role in one another's stories and give you different ways of doing stuff. Like maybe in OT3 Mecha-Temenos can bring along Robo-Hikari or Throne 3.0 to help him complete a questline, and there are some slight variations in outcomes and dialogue depending on who you bring. So it's a shorter game overall but a lot of replay value as the character order and party composition make a much larger difference.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Then I discovered limb from limb and divine protection. Turns out nothing matters when you have those. Guess Hikari is support only now!

I heard Hikari was busted before I started so he was last to get picked up, last to finish, and I didn't grab his really good poo poo. He was still a beast

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is a question of permutations. You have to account for players going off in any order and any party, so your options are either a LOT of interstitial dialogue for all the possibilities, generic dialogue for "if character present" or nothing. Sticking the cross-character dialogue and side-chapters in the latter parts of the game is safe, because you're far more likely to have the full set of characters.

What they really need to do is lock in a requirement for having the full eight characters before progressing, as it drastically cuts down the permutations needed. Moreso if they'd just let you retain the full eight at once (ie; You could definitively say all X characters needed for a conversation are present because they've cleared all eight prologues).

Wouldn't an easy solution for more Crossed Paths be just, making them on the main chapter path of characters? Like say a Cyrus/H'aanit Crossed Path functioning as Cyrus' Chapter 3 and H'aanit's Chapter 2, so you'd need to have done their Chapter 2/Chapter 1, to unlock their Chapter 4/3?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Polderjoch posted:

Wouldn't an easy solution for more Crossed Paths be just, making them on the main chapter path of characters? Like say a Cyrus/H'aanit Crossed Path functioning as Cyrus' Chapter 3 and H'aanit's Chapter 2, so you'd need to have done their Chapter 2/Chapter 1, to unlock their Chapter 4/3?

When I first heard about the crossed path thing that's what I originally assumed it was going to be. I did like what we actually got to be fair.

But, It would be really interesting to see them try something like that for a whole game. Though they'd have to really work on the stories to make them work together if two character's chapters are happening simultaneously. Though since there's usually some overarcing events linking all the characters together in these games it shouldn't be impossible to do. The opportunity to have more interaction between the characters would be well worth it imo.

I think to allow for more interaction while not making the game completely linear you'd have to do something like that. Or at least require recruiting all characters before chapter 2, and let characters interact with stuff if they aren't currently in the active party.

end game spoilers Kinda like the end game where even though you only had 4 people active at once, the assumption was that all 8 were together at this point and you could party swap on the fly.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polderjoch posted:

It's less about a "gimmick" of Crossed Paths (Though to be clear I thought those were great and thoroughly enjoyed them) and more you could feed the other characters into the main Paths outright. The individual main chapters by design ALL have to completely relegate the other seven into dialogue vignettes because there is no method to know you will absolutely have, (for a random example), Temenos in your party, or even unlocked, during Osvald's third chapter.

If you locked everything down till all eight prologues are done, you can actually use those characters inter-threading into eachother's Paths because you can definitively say "Yes, the character(s) I need for this part are unlocked/available".