Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

I still read things like that and it takes me like, 30 seconds to realize "hey, I'M mid 40s!!!" and then get a mild panic

Turned 40 recently but otherwise very same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Now try being in your 40s when your father had the first of his 3 heart attacks at 35, and his father had the first of his 5 heart attacks at age 43.

Cardiologist? Exercise? Losing weight? Nahhhhhh 'sall good.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I’m more scared of my family’s longevity. They all make it into their late 90s or just break 100, but go through these horrible, drawn-out declines that are both expensive, horrible to watch, and leave the children or grandchildren having to put off major life decisions because their non-working lives are dedicated to elder care.

I’d almost rather have a heart attack and die in my 40s or 50s than put my family through caring for me for a decade+ of senility/fragility.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Not a scientist but it seems like how long you live has a high genetic component but quality of life is more affected by environment and lifestyle.

Environment and lifestyle often means "money" but at least there is some control and hope.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

I’m more scared of my family’s longevity. They all make it into their late 90s or just break 100, but go through these horrible, drawn-out declines that are both expensive, horrible to watch, and leave the children or grandchildren having to put off major life decisions because their non-working lives are dedicated to elder care.

I’d almost rather have a heart attack and die in my 40s or 50s than put my family through caring for me for a decade+ of senility/fragility.

Man this thread turned grim. I'm not anywhere close (hopefully) to needing it yet, but just looked up how much long term care insurance costs if I try to lock it in *now*.

coverage for $300/day (for only 3 years, I dunno if you can even get "lifetime" policies anymore) already costs $100/month. And from seeing it recently, that $300/day only gets you to about the bare minimum of care/respect.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah I think there was an Italian professional soccer player whose parents both died when he was a kid and then he ended up dying in his 20s while playing a game. With those genes he never had a chance

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I have a cousin whose father (not related to me, his mother is my aunt) dropped dead out of nowhere of a sudden massive heart attack at age 45.

His father's father had dropped dead out of nowhere of a sudden massive heart attack at age 46.

My cousin dropped dead out of nowhere of a sudden massive heart attack at age 40. Except that he did it a few feet short of the finish line at a half-marathon, thus only 30 feet from a fully staffed ambulance, and they managed to revive him and he's still alive now at age 44. For now. But you wonder if there's really anything that can be done to get him to 50.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Man this thread turned grim. I'm not anywhere close (hopefully) to needing it yet, but just looked up how much long term care insurance costs if I try to lock it in *now*.

coverage for $300/day (for only 3 years, I dunno if you can even get "lifetime" policies anymore) already costs $100/month. And from seeing it recently, that $300/day only gets you to about the bare minimum of care/respect.

My mother is almost 70 now, and she hasn't retired yet because her mother is 95 and increasingly senile. She needs the income from her job to take care of her own mother with reasonable quality of life. She feels like she can't retire, can't move out of NY to somewhere cheaper because she knows her mother will refuse to move, and knows that her mother can't afford any "nice" (if they even still exist?) assisted living center if she did move away anyway.

Meanwhile, I live on the other side of the country, so when the inevitable happens and I'm stuck taking care of my mother, I don't even live nearby. I'm paying $4800 per year for my mother's LTC insurance just to make sure I have (in theory?) some financial help with it since I can't move back and be the evening elder-care, and I 100% know my mother would refuse to move to California (even if she could afford it). It's a lifetime policy, locked in probably 7 years ago now.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My plan with my mother is that if she ever exhausts her savings then she can enjoy the American streets that her generation created.

I'm not going to destroy my hard won finances or future on a boomer that was given the world on a silver platter and squandered it, and neither should anyone else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
:yikes:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

My plan with my mother is that if she ever exhausts her savings then she can enjoy the American streets that her generation created.

I'm not going to destroy my hard won finances or future on a boomer that was given the world on a silver platter and squandered it, and neither should anyone else.

Didn't get that Tonka truck you wanted for Christmas?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I already have a set of SOPs and standards documents named after me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SpartanIvy posted:

I hope the irony on your current mindset is not lost on you but I'm sure it is.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

My high school has some rules named after me but in my defense they really should have seen that loophole long before I came along.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

As long as nobody's opening a document and groaning when they see your name listed in the author tab, I think you're doing just fine. :v:

We have an ex-contractor who wrote a bunch of poo poo (and I mean poo poo) documents during our facility startup. Every now and then we find one that hasn't been burned off the face of the planet and rewritten, and then we all have our ritual two minute hate.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pull up corporate thread, please pull up

there are BFC threads on estate planning, insurance, long-term investing, general/daily discussion, and the BWM thread

basically any of those would be better venues for discussing destitute older relatives than the Corporate Megathread, so I'm not having to respond to mod forum reports about hot takes here. thanks

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I swear, this past week has been me getting increasingly pissed of at people who have the inability to just stand up and make any kind of decision. Set a timeline / have an actual opinion / ANYTHING, and not what springs to mind here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyocQT4Vn2g

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Management For Beginners, Chapter 1: Never be in the same room as a decision

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Management For Beginners, Chapter 1: Never be in the same room as a decision

I'd like to say I enjoyed your post, but I'm going to need to get some more feedback from all of our stakeholders before making any final commitments.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jenkl posted:

I'd like to say I enjoyed your post, but I'm going to need to get some more feedback from all of our stakeholders before making any final commitments.

Let’s circle back on reaching out to stakeholders, and I’ll schedule a meeting to do a kaizen Fishbone workshop on potential proposal deck considerations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are we sure all of this can’t wait until the bi-weekly touch base meeting?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m responsible for making decisions now and it’s horrible.

Pet hate from my younger days was managers who do everything over the phone or face to face so that there is never a written record. Cowards, but with a cockroach-like longevity.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Beefeater1980 posted:

Pet hate from my younger days was managers who do everything over the phone or face to face so that there is never a written record. Cowards, but with a cockroach-like longevity.

Definitely. Gotta be aware that is a huge reason why some people want to "call to discuss". Ok, but I'm gonna email you afterwards to summarize, "just so I'm sure we are on the same page!"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m responsible for making decisions now and it’s horrible.

The worst is when people tell you they expect you to make decisions independently and then bitch at you for not asking them first whenever you do.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

this ain't it chief

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've been dealing with a lot of different people at work lately and they all are the "send a hello message on slack and wait for a response before asking me the thing that they actually need" people.

At this point I've just stopped responding until I get the actual question.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Day 10 and I still can't use teams as I haven't been provisioned properly.

Turns out there's not any kind of new joiner checklist at all, they didn't even check that I had a network profile so that documents would get saved there instead of locally.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've been dealing with a lot of different people at work lately and they all are the "send a hello message on slack and wait for a response before asking me the thing that they actually need" people.

:hai:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did a Teams call with a whole bunch of people to start off a project. One person in the call's Teams name was "Testing Account". Now I refer to her as that in my notes and I did it with a strikthrough in an email (followed by her real name), but I'm going to stop after that one because I dont want it to end up being demeaning or in bad taste. She emailed me on the side to joke about it (she's a contractor for the supplier involved and her Teams account was being funny) but I dont want someone else to take it the wrong way.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Amen brother.

Sundae posted:

The worst is when people tell you they expect you to make decisions independently and then bitch at you for not asking them first whenever you do.
Insert a joke about my wife here.

edit: \/\/\/ lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 20, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

Oh hey is this the corporate thread or the marriage thread?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ef;b

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I get text spam like this now, just text messages from random numbers saying "Hi" and then a day later "Hello"

I might be in purgatory

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://youtu.be/OlMU6p9OzMg

Sorry my previous post resulted in whatever that was. I was just thinking about how much time I waste in meetings when I could be dead this weekend.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There should be a test in interviews to weed out people like this

"Pretend we're in a scenario where you need to ask me a question over IM, how would you ask it?"

if they say "I'd send 'Hi ____, How are you?'" or any variation thereof, the interview is over

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Am I a bad person for pretty much exclusively asking when someone has time for an actual chat so that I can ask my question without posting a whole page of :words:?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Car Hater posted:

Am I a bad person for pretty much exclusively asking when someone has time for an actual chat so that I can ask my question without posting a whole page of :words:?

Haha no i do this too. Goons tend to exist in a world with few grey areas, but this is one. Vast majority of the time I won’t say hi and shut up, but sometimes I am asking if the person is around to chat, as that will be the most efficient way to discuss whatever vs. asynchronous. And better than email.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'll do a "Hi, when you have time I'd like to talk about $thing"

I also don't get worked up about people just saying hi. I'll say hi back and ask them how they are doing and force them into awkward small talk until I am satisfied that they have learned their lesson

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah there's a difference between "Hi, when you have a few minutes can we talk?" and

DIPSHIT: "Hi."
DIPSHIT: "Hello."
DIPSHIT: "Hey there."
DIPSHIT: "I have."
DIPSHIT: "A."
DIPSHIT: "Ques".
DIPSHIT: "T."
DIPSHIT: "Io."
DIPSHIT: "..."
<DIPSHIT>' IS CALLING YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lol yeah only people I'm tight with get any sort of inquiry about how they're doing - If I don't know you well, why would I give a poo poo? I've gotten pushback about not including details about what I want to talk about but once I start writing out the problem I start info-dumping and it's a waste of my time to write all that sooo

"Hey. Are you at your desk/free for a call? I need X minutes. lmk when works if not."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They probably send meeting invites with no agenda and the title is "Dip poo poo's Zoom Meeting"