Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Assuming that thumbnail is not clickbait BS and that's accurate, fuuuuckin gettem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

The space between is also backstage roads and stuff, so even if the distance was walkable it would need to be developed heavily.
A shuttle service or mini-monorail themed to look like a spaceship would both work, and the infrastructure is there to go door-to-door between the sites without breaking immersion. But, again: that would cost money.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Landspeeders, hovertrains, and sandcrawlers all exist in the Star Wars universe. Or gently caress, go the Hogwarts Express route and fake it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Edit wrong thread wtf

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hazo posted:

Landspeeders, hovertrains, and sandcrawlers all exist in the Star Wars universe. Or gently caress, go the Hogwarts Express route and fake it.
Yes, obviously fake it? The shuttle buses/monorails wouldn't actually be spaceships. You'd just need them to be spaceships rather than the other transport methods because the Halcyon is a starship in orbit.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh yeah if they kept the Halcyon with the same theming then yeah obviously fake it with screens on a bus. I meant if they were going to cheap out and make it so you're taking a hover-train to a space entertainment center on Batuu or something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Man youtubers be loving WILD these days.

My understanding (third party from a friend who works Guest Relations at Disney) is that Universal Orlando now requires you to provide a doctor's note before they will consider giving you any accommodation (aka their version of the disability pass).

I assume the extra cost mentioned in the screen shot is for the doctor appointment. Not payment to Universal directly.

I also assume they had a lot of lawyers looking at this new policy before going forward but it seems like a huge burden to place on disabled guests.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The doctor's note goes to the 3rd party, because Universal is not a medical facility and can't request that.

IBCCES then gives you some kind of certificate you can present to Universal saying they confirmed your need.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are a huge number of ways to hide the gap interestingly. You could even just add more shops a chunk of the way to the "docking bay" to get people most of the way there if you wanted to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

There are a huge number of ways to hide the gap interestingly. You could even just add more shops a chunk of the way to the "docking bay" to get people most of the way there if you wanted to.
It's not actually that close from a walkability standpoint.

You've got to get guests from one red X to the other. Compare the distance to the entire size of Galaxy's Edge, and remember that Disney probably needs those roads to still exist.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

My understanding (third party from a friend who works Guest Relations at Disney) is that Universal Orlando now requires you to provide a doctor's note before they will consider giving you any accommodation (aka their version of the disability pass).

I assume the extra cost mentioned in the screen shot is for the doctor appointment. Not payment to Universal directly.

I also assume they had a lot of lawyers looking at this new policy before going forward but it seems like a huge burden to place on disabled guests.

yeah I'm not giving any shady rear end third company my medical information; but then I'm not interested in going to UO anyhow since Rowling still gets money from the tickets.

Still, that's trashy and will eventually get lawyered.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...theast-Oklahoma

I’ll uh believe it when I see it but I guess it does have Disney imagineers designing things. It would be nice to have something other than Frontier City here.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...theast-Oklahoma

I’ll uh believe it when I see it but I guess it does have Disney imagineers designing things. It would be nice to have something other than Frontier City here.

So is this going to be the non-Disney Disney's America, or more of a non-Dolly Dollywood?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Zero One posted:

Universal can also decide their "accommodation" is renting you a wheelchair (I've actually been told that before by their Guest Services, but that was when my disability was a touch more invisible than it is now. Now I use a cane basically everywhere I go, and in parks need the use of a scooter) so I think that the 15 dollars to rent a chair may also be considered part of the additional cost.

My doctor thankfully didn't charge me for it, but I also haven't been approved yet, just pending. I really only need it for HHN, I can typically just do a standard wheelchair transfer at the main rides in those parks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The number of people that use the assistance passes, legitimately or otherwise, is so high that it often severely negatively affects the standby AND express lines. They've got to do something, as this has been a huge issue at both Disney and Universal for years. I'm sure they're already prepared for the legal battles.

Though yes it's not fair to single out who might be scamming and who isn't, almost every Orlando local I know who is a regular at the parks admits to scamming this system. It's really bad. The scope is way beyond anyone might assume without actually seeing it in person.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 19, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The number of people that use the assistance passes, legitimately or otherwise, is so high that it often severely negatively affects the standby AND express lines. They've got to do something, as this has been a huge issue at both Disney and Universal for years. I'm sure they're already prepared for the legal battles.

Though yes it's not fair to single out who might be scamming and who isn't, almost every Orlando I know who is a regular at the parks admits to scamming the system. It's really bad. The scope is way beyond anyone might assume without actually seeing it in person.

And sadly this system will be scammed too. Someone has already admitted to falsifying the documents on their applications and I imagine some people may slip through the cracks with stuff like that and still get in...

I understand the system, but it is increasingly difficult for some to get a doctors note, or even see a doctor to get the note.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Universal can also decide their "accommodation" is renting you a wheelchair (I've actually been told that before by their Guest Services, but that was when my disability was a touch more invisible than it is now. Now I use a cane basically everywhere I go, and in parks need the use of a scooter) so I think that the 15 dollars to rent a chair may also be considered part of the additional cost.

My doctor thankfully didn't charge me for it, but I also haven't been approved yet, just pending. I really only need it for HHN, I can typically just do a standard wheelchair transfer at the main rides in those parks.

Disney is the same way. DAS is not for mobility issues that can be solved with a chair or ECV, because lines can accommodate those.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Though yes it's not fair to single out who might be scamming and who isn't, almost every Orlando local I know who is a regular at the parks admits to scamming this system. It's really bad. The scope is way beyond anyone might assume without actually seeing it in person.

Okay but breaking the law or skirting very close to breaking the law is not the answer. Neither is taking it away, either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

You've got to get guests from one red X to the other. Compare the distance to the entire size of Galaxy's Edge, and remember that Disney probably needs those roads to still exist.
It's only 200m or thereabouts, and since we're already talking about doing some building work to make use of the rooms etc then adding in a few extra shops along the way or even building a rail over the roads is in play.

Aphrodite posted:

Disney is the same way. DAS is not for mobility issues that can be solved with a chair or ECV, because lines can accommodate those.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn that stuff like that doesn't qualify but my occasional IBS flareups did qualify. I still feel a little guilty about getting it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Phantasialand has a road running straight through the park that they encapsulated with tunnel walls and put a little food court on top off, parks building over roads isn't that unheard of.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay but breaking the law or skirting very close to breaking the law is not the answer. Neither is taking it away, either.

They're not breaking the law. Do you really think you know more than the lawyers of a megacorporation?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Megacorporations never break laws.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
How much time is ideal for the Tokyo parks? I've got stuff to do in Tokyo on consecutive weekends next month and need to fill the week in between. I've been to Japan a bunch of times but haven't done the Disney parks or USJ yet so I was thinking I might do one or the other this trip. (And yeah I know August isn't the best time to go since it'll be hot as hell and schools are on break, but I'm going to be in country anyways)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arquinsiel posted:

Megacorporations never break laws.

A change like this is very obviously going to generate backlash. I'm pretty sure they made sure it holds up legally. I mean, maaaybe not? But it's already in place at a bunch of parks: https://accessibilitycard.org/participating-locations/

I remember when Disney changed their access card service and started requiring return times. Prior to this, the accessibility card acted like an unlimited Fastpass. Same backlash happened then too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What about the change is supposed to be breaking laws, exactly?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roadie posted:

What about the change is supposed to be breaking laws, exactly?

Some people believe that asking to prove your disability is...but it's not, but it is easier to have a third party trained to handle medical documentation take care of it than the front line GS Team Members at the park.

My issue isn't that it exists, I am all for weeding out abuse of the system, my issue is that they made it harder for people who actually need it to get it (because some of these people don't have health insurance, or doctors that would be willing to help)

We'll see how it all unfolds as it rolls out. SeaWorld already uses it too.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

astr0man posted:

How much time is ideal for the Tokyo parks? I've got stuff to do in Tokyo on consecutive weekends next month and need to fill the week in between. I've been to Japan a bunch of times but haven't done the Disney parks or USJ yet so I was thinking I might do one or the other this trip. (And yeah I know August isn't the best time to go since it'll be hot as hell and schools are on break, but I'm going to be in country anyways)

You can go to Tokyo Disney later in the day for a cheaper price and possibly thinner crowds? The parks are small, so a few evenings should bang it all out. Otherwise a full day per park is enough. Be sure to hit the Beauty & The Beast ride early, that one tends to be hours-long to wait and the lightning lanes all sell out. Expect an average of 2 hour waits for everything, if it is truly the busy season.

USJ was a madhouse when we went, 3+ hour waits for everything, last October. You can buy fastpasses before the trip, but it might already be sold out if its the busy season. It was a neat park, we caught the last day of the Horror stuff, but those wait times really killed it for us. An hour wait for popcorn. The mobile entry system to Mario land was down, so there was a physical line just to get a later entry time to the land, and it literally wrapped around the entire interior of the park. It was comically long.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
I've been at HHN where I witnessed people openly brag they have abused the disability system, some years ago it was them and 30 of their closest friends taking advantage of it, so it was a big problem especially with a certain segment of the hardcore HHN fans. I think they limited how many can "go along" later, but its still been a problem. It's always going to be an issue, trying to work around the issue with a third party isn't the best way at it though. I'd imagine it'll be enforced sporadically.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 20, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At Disney all it does is give them free Genie+. Does that suck if they're lying? Sure, but one more group using Genie+ really doesn't affect anyone.

Universal sells that for like $200 though so I guess I can see why they're trying to do something about it. It's more about the money than any integrity though, I'm sure.

A friend of mine has DAS. I don't know specifically the reason she gives them, but I know some of the health issues she deals with. None are visible though and so outwardly she's young and in great shape. More often than not everything is fine, but things could take a turn. Never a problem with Disney, but she said after a poo poo experience trying to get it at Universal once she never tried again. So she was interested in this change because it should hopefully mean no more decisions like that coming down to whether the grumpy employee thinks you look disabled enough.

Last year for HHN, a friend of our group brought along a friend of theirs who signed us all up for it as part of his party. I'm pretty sure now that he was lying to get it though after running into him a few more times at events. He's also a gigantic rear end in a top hat so it tracks.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I JUST learned about the disability passes and yes it seems like a pain in the rear end, but I'd rather do it than have others abuse it. I REALLY wish I had known about it before, because constantly having to mainline sugar in lines in the 95+ heat in Disney/Universal is an absolute bitch.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
NBCUniversal plans Dreamworks-themed land at Universal Orlando.

quote:

Dreamworks Animation is getting its own themed land at Universal Studios Orlando.

The NBCUniversal theme park — part of the Universal Destinations & Experiences division — says that it will open a themed land based on the NBCU-owned animation studio’s intellectual property in 2024.

Dreamworks Animation is behind projects like the Shrek and Trolls franchises, Kung-Fu Panda, and Gabby’s Dollhouse. Characters from all of those franchises will be featured in the four acre land.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's presumably the new theme for the shuttered children's area. A few of those properties were already represented there too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mashing all of those characters together sounds like an atonal mess, though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

At Disney all it does is give them free Genie+. Does that suck if they're lying? Sure, but one more group using Genie+ really doesn't affect anyone. .

Mmmmmmm not quite. It is entirely return-time based. They do use the Lightning Lane line but only after they "wait" whatever the standby wait is, minus 10 minutes...they just don't have to wait in the queue, they can be elsewhere in the park.

It actually works the same as Universal's AAP paper pass, it's just all digital now AND they did away with having to go to the attractions in person to get the time, you can do it in the app (which is WONDERFUL)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, but to other visitors who paid for Genie+ it doesn't change anything about their experience. Dozens of other people are going to show up at that lightning lane at 2pm regardless.

It's potentially more pronounced at Universal because of the much lower uptake of express, and express being immediate queue entry when you want to for the user. I really doubt it though, because again this is just about money.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Right, but to other visitors who paid for Genie+ it doesn't change anything about their experience. Dozens of other people are going to show up at that lightning lane at 2pm regardless.
It does, though, because it can make their Lightning Lane wait longer than intended which in turn makes the standby line even longer. Lightning Lane is already distributed allotting for up to about 80% of every attraction's hourly capacity to be utilized for it. In a perfect simulation, the ratio of Lightning Lane:Standby would never exceed 80:20, but because people show up not in a steady flow, you end up with fluctuations where 90-95% of the attraction's capacity is now being utilized for the Lightning Lane to try and return it to 80:20 or less. Throw in all the DAS holders, and it means the ratio is increased far more than it should be.

A common misconception is that only a small percentage of parties in the park are using a DAS pass. No. It's actually closer to 20-25% of all guests experiencing any given attraction. It is only increasing continuously since the implementation of Genie+ since it's a way to get the perks of Genie+ without paying. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is working on a similar way to address this, especially since its now cutting in to Genie+ revenue.

And the majority of them are "I can't wait in line because I have anxiety ;) ;)" people. (Source: friend in Guest Relations).

Aphrodite posted:

It's potentially more pronounced at Universal because of the much lower uptake of express, and express being immediate queue entry when you want to for the user. I really doubt it though, because again this is just about money.
On a busy day, Universal is averaging 1/3, 1/2, or 2/3's of their attractions' hourly capacity for Express at all times. Universal only promises "up to 50% of the standby wait time" for their Express pass and it's not too uncommon to wait 20-30 minutes in their Express lines. It's harder to observe since most of their Express lines are completely separated, but observing the Express line in an HHN queue will give you a better idea of how many people use it and how much it still does impact the standby line.

Two key differences from Disney Genie+: Genie+ and advanced booking ensure a demand for the Lightning Lane queue before the park even opens, before guests even get a chance to see the actual crowd levels and wait times. It also ensures Lightning Lane demand throughout the day. Universal's system doesn't do this since most people don't buy it in advance, and not having to schedule them allows attractions to experience lulls in Express users.

In other words, Disney's system impacts the park every single day, while the negative impact of Universal's Express increases with the park attendance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At Disney all it does is give them free Genie+. Does that suck if they're lying? Sure, but one more group using Genie+ really doesn't affect anyone.

We have cast members ITT that say it's so many people that it significantly impacts both fastpass and general lines.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

And the majority of them are "I can't wait in line because I have anxiety ;) ;)" people. (Source: friend in Guest Relations).
We didn't even get asked. The cast member didn't want to know at all.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They are supposed to get a basic understanding (so they can determine if the pass is right for you) but some don't bother because they don't want to deal with the hassle of turning someone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If there's an advantage, people are going to be horrible little shits in acquiring it. Never forget that the old Disney DAP had to be discontinued because it was so handy that guests were literally renting disabled people.