Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pro tip: you don’t have to pick between one of two evil empires. Karl Marx said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pro tip: you don’t have to pick between one of two evil empires. Karl Marx said that

There were more empires around in Karl's day.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hit me up when there's a good empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Hello.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PeterWeller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsM6wpIA3Sc

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Imo empires are pretty good for the people doing the imperialism

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

This is John the Golden Mouth erasure and I for one will not stand for it

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Counterpoint: england

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

OctaMurk posted:

For the ruling class yes. There are typically an awful lot of people inside the empire that are doing really poorly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NBC News figured out who the Tupac warrant was for: A 60-year old named Duane Keith Davis. Davis was a member of the Crips for decades and is the Uncle of Orlando Anderson - who has long been rumored to have been the one who killed Tupac, but there was no direct evidence and he was never charged. He was eventually killed in a gang shootout.

The police took a significant amount of electronic devices, hard drives, and notes from the house. They were also looking for manuscripts for an unreleased book he was writing about his time in the Crips.

Nothing specific about what they found has been released. Davis is not a suspect in the shooting, but he was allegedly in the car with Orlando Anderson on the day that Tupac was killed. He initially gave the police limited testimony in the 90's in exchange for immunity, but the thing that triggered the recent search is that he had apparently been telling people he was in the car with Orlando Anderson, witnessed the actual shooting, and was considering writing a book about it. In addition to telling people this privately, he had recently begun speaking about it in online interviews.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1682073204507000853

quote:

Nevada police executed a search warrant in the murder investigation of Tupac Shakur Monday looking for laptops and other electronic devices at the home of a gang member who said he was in the car when the superstar rapper was fatally shot in Las Vegas in 1996, according to the warrant exclusively obtained by NBC News on Thursday.

Duane Keith Davis, 60, also known as “Keefy D” or “Keffe D,” was the target of the warrant out of Clark County in which Las Vegas police also searched desktops and other electronic storage devices such as thumb drives, CDs, external hard drives and audio recordings, the warrant said.

Davis, the warrant said, was affiliated with the South Side Compton Crips street gang, and he has been vocal about his involvement over the years.

Davis was one of four people who police say was in the suspect vehicle when Shakur was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas. The alleged shooter, Orlando Anderson, Davis’ nephew, later died in a gang-related killing in Los Angeles. Davis, who was investigated by both the LAPD and Las Vegas Metro PD, initially denied involvement in the Tupac killing but later gave police details about the case under a limited non-prosecution agreement. More recently, he has openly discussed his presence at the shooting scene in interviews, articles and other media.

Investigators were also looking for "notes, writings, ledgers, and other handwritten or typed documents concerning television shows, documentaries, YouTube episodes, book manuscripts, and movies concerning the murder of Tupac Shakur," the warrant said.

The search of Davis’ home in Henderson, a city about 15 miles south of Las Vegas, turned up a Pokeball USB Drive, a black iPhone in a black case, a gold iPad with a broken screen, a gold iPad in a pink case and a purple Toshiba laptop, among other items, the warrant said.

Another Toshiba laptop, a Toshiba hard drive, and a HP laptop were also listed in items obtained by investigators. The book "Compton Street Legend" — co-authored by Keffe D — a Vibe magazine featuring Tupac, "purported marijuana" and tubs with photographs in it, were also collected, the warrant said.

On Tuesday, police confirmed in a statement the search warrant was served.

“We will have no further comment at this time,” the statement concluded.

Shakur, 25, died Sept. 13, 1996. His slaying has remained unsolved.

While he has been gone for more than 25 years, he is arguably as famous and relevant now as he was when he died.

The Oakland, California, City Council this year voted to rename part of MacArthur Boulevard, a main thoroughfare, in his honor.

“Tupac knew deep down that he was always meant for something great,” his sister Sekyiwa “Set” Shakur said last month at a ceremony adding her late brother’s star to the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

“And as his little sister, I had the privilege to watch that greatness unfold,” she said.

Tupac is not only considered hip-hop royalty, but his musical influence has elevated him in death to that of a legendary artist.

He is considered among the most influential and versatile rappers of all time. Shakur, a six-time Grammy nominee, has had five No. 1 albums: 1995’s “Me Against the World” and 1996’s “All Eyez on Me” and three posthumous releases: 1996’s “The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory,” which was recorded under the name Makaveli, 2001’s “Until the End of Time” and 2004’s “Loyal to the Game.”

In 2017, he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. He received a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in June.

Shakur has sold 33 million albums — 41 million when track sale and streaming equivalents are included, according to the entertainment data company Luminate. His on-demand video and audio streams total 10.1 billion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PeterWeller posted:

nerox
May 20, 2001

Evil is right there in the name man.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Those anti-trust guideline changes discussed earlier were apparently just part of a big batch of anti-trust and "junk fees" reforms from executive agencies that were announced today.

Some other more significant new policy changes were announced in addition to clarifying and toughening older guidance documents.

Biden has been doing the "junk fees" thing and making changes through regulatory agencies for a while, but now he is rolling that into "Bidenomics."

I guess he is embracing the Bidenomics thing and just running with it. Although, this does make it a little harder to determine what Bidenomics is actually defining. Because it now apparently encompasses everything from labor unions to building roads to raising wages to making Ticketmaster get rid of hidden fees to anti-trust rules to minimum internet speed regulations to making sure you get a free hotel if an airline delays your flight. Literally anything the executive branch does is Bidenomics now, baby.

The actual anti-trust and fee changes do appear to be pretty significant, if they were enforced strictly by the courts, but there is a 100% chance that a lawsuit is coming the first time they try to enforce them and it's not clear if they are going to get that strict interpretation from a judge or not.

The biggest change is that official DOJ and FTC anti-trust policy now considers lowering labor wages as part of an anti-trust analysis.

quote:

The new antitrust guidelines also reflect the White House's focus on labor issues. "Where a merger between employers may substantially lessen competition for workers, that reduction in labor market competition may lower wages or slow wage growth, worsen benefits or working conditions," the guidelines say.

That would be very significant, but as noted before, this isn't really laid out in actual anti-trust law and it's not 100% certain a court would agree with them that impact on labor alone violates current anti-trust law.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1682020031054348290

quote:

US regulators unveil antitrust roadmap with Big Tech in crosshairs

WASHINGTON, July 19 (Reuters) - U.S. antitrust regulators published guidelines on Wednesday on the kinds of mergers and acquisitions they object to, reaffirming the skepticism with which President Joe Biden's administration has approached many deals, especially in the technology sector.

The U.S. Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have mounted an unprecedented number of legal challenges to mergers since Biden came to office in 2021.

Their success in court has been mixed, with two losses recorded just last week in their attempts to scupper Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard Inc (ATVI.O) and to undo a merger in the sugar industry.

During the Biden administration, the FTC also lost a bid to stop Meta from buying a virtual reality content maker and another in cancer detection. The Justice Department lost a merger in the insurance industry but won an effort to stop a book publisher merger.

Several challenges are scheduled to go before judges in the next few months, including the Justice Department's fight against JetBlue Airways Corp's purchase of Spirit Airlines Inc (SAVE.N).

The 51 pages of guidelines by the Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission described, without naming them, deals such as Amazon.com's purchase of video doorbell Ring in 2018, and said the antitrust agencies should scrutinize them.

The concern is that Ring's competitors are sold on Amazon.com, giving Amazon the incentive to favor Ring over competitors.

The guidelines also said a transaction should not eliminate a potential entrant in a concentrated market or create a situation in which a firm buys a company that provides inputs for the acquirer's competitors.

Deal advisers said companies had already braced for a tough antitrust regime under Biden and some had been emboldened by the regulators' recent court losses.

"The courts are the ultimate deciders, and the courts are guided by precedent and case law," said Kenneth Schwartz, an antitrust partner at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.

Several other antitrust lawyers, including Daniel Culley at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, said the new guidelines are unlikely to disrupt dealmaking activity meaningfully and the impact of enforcement could be limited in the near term.

"The new guidelines may not have that much of an impact until we see what the courts are willing to go along with," said Megan Browdie, an antitrust partner at Cooley LLP.

Global deal volumes in the technology sector have dropped by more than half so far this year, according to data from LSEG Deals Intelligence.

Tougher antitrust enforcement in the sector has been a contributing factor to deal appetite waning, according to Fiona Schaeffer, an antitrust partner with law firm Milbank LLP.

She argued that if the guidelines are adopted as proposed they will not necessarily be accepted by judges hearing merger challenges because they do not reflect recent court decisions on contested mergers.

"The (regulators' guidelines) do provide more transparency but that transparency also reveals some concerns that they are quite hostile to consolidation. Big is bad," she said.

Senator Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat who has pushed hard for tougher antitrust enforcement, called the guidelines a turnaround "after more than 40 years of lax antitrust enforcement."

She and others defended the guidelines, with Warren saying they were "rooted in the laws passed by Congress, aligned with court precedent, and provide a much-needed update to counter the real harms posed by corporate monopolies."

The new antitrust guidelines also reflect the White House's focus on labor issues. "Where a merger between employers may substantially lessen competition for workers, that reduction in labor market competition may lower wages or slow wage growth, worsen benefits or working conditions," the guidelines say.

The guidelines replace those last issued in 2010 on companies buying competitors and 2020 guidelines on companies merging with suppliers. The new guidelines will be open for comment for 60 days before they are finalized.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’m of the opinion that megacorporations are the #1 problem facing America so even though I criticize a lot of what he does (and think this is about 5% of how far we should go) I’m glad we’re moving in this direction.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Megacorporations are very bad but at least it’ll make it really easy to nationalize industries if the public ever starts demanding it. :v:

(Yeah I know, privatizing the government seems more likely but you never know which way the wind will blow.)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Didnt the FTC/government just OK the Microsoft takeover of ActiBlizz just last week?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt the FTC/government just OK the Microsoft takeover of ActiBlizz just last week?

No. They attempted to block it, lost their lawsuit, and have appealed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mellow Seas posted:

Megacorporations are very bad but at least it’ll make it really easy to nationalize industries if the public ever starts demanding it. :v:

(Yeah I know, privatizing the government seems more likely but you never know which way the wind will blow.)

I disagree. It makes the paperwork or whatever easier but the reality is that that nationalization (which I agree in a lot of things should happen) is practically impossible while we have megacorps.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, part of this anti-trust and junk fees package involves apartment rental sites having to list their full price upfront without hidden fees. I have not used one of those for a while, but what kind of hidden fees could not be advertised and end up costing hundreds of dollars?

Some kind of convenience fee? Some extra fees on top of the paid criminal background/credit checks? Does Apartments.com actually charge you some kind of fee before you even apply for an apartment? Even those seem like it would be hard to spring into the hundreds of dollars for looking at apartments online.

I remember using one of these sites 8-10 years ago and I had to pay for the background check (which you could do through the site with your application), but I don't remember any other fees for just using the site that could be in the hundreds of dollars.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I would.really like to see addressed is telemarketers/spam/spam calls, because they drive me absolutely insane and lol and behold, it's another case of American exceptionalism where they're legislated out of existence pretty much everywhere else iirc

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, part of this anti-trust and junk fees package involves apartment rental sites having to list their full price upfront without hidden fees. I have not used one of those for a while, but what kind of hidden fees could not be advertised and end up costing hundreds of dollars?

Some kind of convenience fee? Some extra fees on top of the paid criminal background/credit checks? Does Apartments.com actually charge you some kind of fee before you even apply for an apartment? Even those seem like it would be hard to spring into the hundreds of dollars for looking at apartments online.

I remember using one of these sites 8-10 years ago and I had to pay for the background check (which you could do through the site with your application), but I don't remember any other fees for just using the site that could be in the hundreds of dollars.

Broker fee -- in Boston and NYC the broker charges anywhere from one month's rent to 15% of the annual rent for their services rendered. It's really loving annoying because A) from the renter's perspective, literally the only thing they do is put the apartment on the internet and open the door for you, so why the gently caress are we paying them rather than the landlord, and B) it's illegal and/or not done in most of the country except for these two very, very expensive cities. NYC even managed to ban it for a while before some judge said a couple years back that the landlords can start passing it on to the renter again

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Professor Beetus posted:

One thing I would.really like to see addressed is telemarkets/spam/spam calls, because they drive me absolutely insane and lol and behold, it's another case of American exceptionalism where they're legislated out of existence pretty much everywhere else iirc

They actually did crack down on them somewhat recently. The FCC required the VoIP operators to be responsible for blocking calls that come from known scam blocks. Verizon and other providers had been adamantly fighting that for years.

It is definitely not legislated out of existence elsewhere. Unfortunately, VoIP has revolutionized international calling in a lot of great ways, but it also makes it trivially cheap to buy enormous amounts of numbers and make enormous amounts of calls. So the cost of getting all your numbers blocked is minimal. And if you are based in India or Pakistan and the local government doesn't really care that much about going after you, then there is nothing the U.S. can really do to people outside of its jurisdiction.

There are a bunch of really interesting documentaries (BBC did one, Vice did a miniseries, and there's several big "anti-scam" Youtube channels) that go into the logistics and finances of the scam industry and how crazy it is.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 20, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edit: nm, I didn't realize the post I was replying to was so old

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 20, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I guess he is embracing the Bidenomics thing and just running with it. Although, this does make it a little harder to determine what Bidenomics is actually defining. Because it now apparently encompasses everything from labor unions to building roads to raising wages to making Ticketmaster get rid of hidden fees to anti-trust rules to minimum internet speed regulations to making sure you get a free hotel if an airline delays your flight. Literally anything the executive branch does is Bidenomics now, baby.

I mean, it's political branding heading into an election year, branding that builds upon everyone's fond memories of Reaganomics & adopting its alliteration based on their last names both ending in N.

It's also vague enough to encompass virtually any action the administration takes, negligible as it might be, as part of a larger plan to reassure voters.

It's brave, given the 56 percent of Americans who say they are living paycheck to paycheck, as well as the 60-70 percent of voters throughout Biden's presidency who have considered rising costs for meeting people's basic needs like food, shelter & healthcare to be major problems, but it's not a mystery why his reelection campaign would try to convince people that their lying eyes are the problem instead of those cost increases.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Professor Beetus posted:

One thing I would.really like to see addressed is telemarketers/spam/spam calls, because they drive me absolutely insane and lol and behold, it's another case of American exceptionalism where they're legislated out of existence pretty much everywhere else iirc

Unfortunately its not going to stop the dementia riddled stranger that somehow recalls my digits out of the void and calls me several times a month from various phones.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youtuber "Mark Rober" did a miniseries where he partnered with someone else to infiltrate a scamming operation in India and tape it. There is a second video from the people he partnered with on their channel (can't find it right now) that delves into the logistics and finances of scam call centers.

They are huge, bring in an astonishing amount of money, and run like actual giant businesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLJZyih3Ac&t=3s

Another Youtuber "Kitboga" did a similar series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

They actually did crack down on them somewhat recently. The FCC required the VoIP operators to be responsible for blocking calls that come from known scam blocks. Verizon and other providers had been adamantly fighting that for years.

It is definitely not legislated out of existence elsewhere. Unfortunately, VoIP has revolutionized international calling in a lot of great ways, but it also makes it trivially cheap to buy enormous amounts of numbers and make enormous amounts of calls. So the cost of getting all your numbers blocked is minimal. And if you are based in India or Pakistan and the local government doesn't really care that much about going after you, then there is nothing the U.S. can really do to people outside of its jurisdiction.

There are a bunch of really interesting documentaries (BBC did one, Vice did a miniseries, and there's several big "anti-scam" Youtube channels) that go into the logistics and finances of the scam industry and how crazy it is.

I get at least 5-6 calls a day, most annoying me during the workday, so ymmv about how much it's been dealt with. My assumptions about elsewhere in the world was based on people from elsewhere in the world telling me that they don't have the problems with spam calls that we do. But I guess actual data says otherwise.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

There is a second video from the people he partnered with on their channel (can't find it right now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dT6jB2Dbmk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, it's political branding heading into an election year, branding that builds upon everyone's fond memories of Reaganomics & adopting its alliteration based on their last names both ending in N.

It's also vague enough to encompass virtually any action the administration takes, negligible as it might be, as part of a larger plan to reassure voters.

It's brave, given the 56 percent of Americans who say they are living paycheck to paycheck, as well as the 60-70 percent of voters throughout Biden's presidency who have considered rising costs for meeting people's basic needs like food, shelter & healthcare to be major problems, but it's not a mystery why his reelection campaign would try to convince people that their lying eyes are the problem instead of those cost increases.

Isn't acknowledging a problem and saying you are attempting to fix it literally the opposite of claiming that it doesn't exist?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Isn't acknowledging a problem and saying you are attempting to fix it literally the opposite of claiming that it doesn't exist?

Only if that actually leads to fixing issues of concern to voters, rather than bragging that they've already been fixed (eta: or will be fixed at some point in the future).

Buttigieg announcing that he's going to put pressure on the airlines to compensate travelers whose flights are delayed is small comfort to the thousands who've been stranded at airports over the past week, e.g.

And saying that inflation has been reined in because YoY numbers are "only" 3 percent now instead of 10 percent, e.g., elides that people are still paying 13 percent more or w/e than they were a couple years ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 20, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Only if that actually leads to fixing issues of concern to voters, rather than bragging that it's already been fixed.

The results are separate from the idea of acknowledging it. Even if you don't do anything to fix it/insufficiently fix it, telling someone that you think X is a big problem and you are doing Y to try and fix it is literally the opposite of saying, "We don't need to do anything because it doesn't exist."

He is objectively not telling people they are imagining it because that is the opposite of the entire premise of doing a big announcement, making policy changes, and promising to try and solve it.

Complaining that something is not enough or won't change much in a year is fine and makes sense, but hearing, "I am going to fix this issue because we have been getting screwed for too long and only my plan will deliver results!" and then saying, "He is telling everyone they are imagining the problem and it isn't real" is a weird jump in logic.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm with Willa on this one. "Bidenomics" to me comes off as sounding like Joe owning the economic realities since he took office, fairly or not. Yeah they're looking to explain that he's making policy changes etc, but it's one of those "If you're explaining you're losing" deals. It's red meat for GOP "Here's what Bidenomics has done for you" commercials and a total unforced error in my opinion.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I personally find it disgusting when politicians try to argue that they did a good job when they are campaigning for reelection.

Willa Rogers posted:

It's brave, given the 56 percent of Americans who say they are living paycheck to paycheck,

This figure has not been better at any point in the recent past and yet it has not stopped politicians from saying they handled the economy well, and it also hasn’t stopped people from believing them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I don't think it's possible for the President to avoid getting blamed for the economy, all he can do is convince people that the economy is good because of his efforts/bad despite his efforts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What is Bidenomics even supposed to be?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

What is Bidenomics even supposed to be?

The idea is that Biden is doing New Deal/Great Society type spending to fix problems that voters don't like while stimulating the overall economy - or at least doing his best to do that stuff but the Republicans keep getting in the way.

Whether that's what Biden's actually done/wants to do, I dunno, but that's what Bidenomics as a brand is, it's New Deal/Great Society stuff and what he's promising for the second term.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The results are separate from the idea of acknowledging it. Even if you don't do anything to fix it/insufficiently fix it, telling someone that you think X is a big problem and you are doing Y to try and fix it is literally the opposite of saying, "We don't need to do anything because it doesn't exist."

He is objectively not telling people they are imagining it because that is the opposite of the entire premise of doing a big announcement, making policy changes, and promising to try and solve it.

Complaining that something is not enough or won't change much in a year is fine and makes sense, but hearing, "I am going to fix this issue because we have been getting screwed for too long and only my plan will deliver results!" and then saying, "He is telling everyone they are imagining the problem and it isn't real" is a weird jump in logic.

Bragging about jobs coming back & inflation going down as Bidenomics isn't claiming that he's "going to fix the issue"; it's "Look at the issues I've already fixed!"

Demanding plaudits for stuff like "asking landlords to tell you upfront what excessive fees their charging you" rather than actually regulating those fees out of existence is an example of a floor, not a ceiling, as are most of the other non-humble brags coming from the administration.

And claiming that your administration has created the mostest jobs in the shortest time ever, or any of the other hyperbolic stuff the WH & DNC are tweeting out on a daily basis, as well as getting most major media to faithfully repeat, isn't doing anything to ameliorate people's concerns at not being able to meet their basic needs like healthcare, food & shelter.

I can post some tweets as examples of what I'm talking about if you're still confused & think my claims are "weird" but Biden's approval ratings not being above-water for a solid two years now kind of says it all.

Voters haven't been buying what the administration is selling, even when it's wrapped up in Reaganesque alliteration, which is what I meant by their "lyin' eyes."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I personally find it disgusting when politicians try to argue that they did a good job when they are campaigning for reelection.

Are you addressing this to me? Because I've said it's totally understandable why they're doing PR leading up to an election in spite of voters' lying eyes (ie: their experienced realities).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden's approval ratings not being above-water for a solid two years now kind of says it all.

Voters haven't been buying what the administration is selling,

Polls are worse than ever so I'm not sure. The Democrats did pretty well in the midterms, although part of that is that the Republicans are really struggling to look sane right now.

I think if the general election were tomorrow, Biden would win against most of the Republican candidates especially the one who's actually going to get nominated (Trump).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Worth noting that while people obviously aren’t out holding parades celebrating the end of inflation and the return of prosperity, the recent improvement in economic statistics has correlated with opinions about the economy improving.

Gallup’s economic confidence index has improved from -43 to -32.

There is a lot that has to happen for a majority of people to consider the economy “good” a year from now but it is good that people are capable of noticing improvements, even if they have been modest to date. If inflation stays low that number is virtually guaranteed to keep rising.

E: forgot Gallup link, sorry: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1609/consumer-views-economy.aspx

Willa Rogers posted:

Are you addressing this to me? Because I've said it's totally understandable why they're doing PR leading up to an election in spite of voters' lying eyes (ie: their experienced realities).
It was not specifically addressed towards you, no. I don’t find your use of the term “lying eyes” to be particularly value-neutral, however.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2023