Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

RottenK posted:

wildstar was such a sad disappointment

i wanted to like it and gave it a honest try but it just didn't feel right, and the further i got into the game the less right it felt

it had some good things in there, i think the core idea for combat was fine and I enjoyed the aesthetics of it, but man it feels like a lot of the devs had some really bizzare ideas about what makes a game fun

One of my main gripes was how every class had exactly one weapon type.

But I hope I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

I've been making a passive million in credits a night just keeping my Ferengi-themed entertainer on a 2nd monitor and interacting with people in the cantina while copy pasting rules of acquisition at them.
:five:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

Edit 2: Hell someone should just start an MMO HMO Discord at this point for all of us hopeless old people constantly looking for an MMO retirement home.

It’s a law of the internet that whoever ends up having the energy and interest in starting this up and owning it will also eventually turn out to be a racist and/or rear end in a top hat.

But, that would ultimately fit in well with all of us yearning for a new online community only to see it shut down shortly after launch.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Pryce posted:

It’s a law of the internet that whoever ends up having the energy and interest in starting this up and owning it will also eventually turn out to be a racist and/or rear end in a top hat.

But, that would ultimately fit in well with all of us yearning for a new online community only to see it shut down shortly after launch.

Obviously this means we must nominate someone who hates the role

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I already manage like a dozen of the things so if there really is a lot of interest and absolutely nobody else wants to do it I can.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I don't want to make it but I do want to join it.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I would also join and be interested in Dragon Quest X

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I would also like to join it, but I don't want to make it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay, fiiine.

https://discord.gg/vE2b72MVA

Here's the world's most basic discord server with at least some level of authentication standing between it and spammer-town, with a temporary 30 day invite because discord now apparently hates you unless you make an official community server for some reason. Further improvements to be made on people actually bothering to show up or not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the first credit roll in DQX and it really is a blast to play. Was cute going to one of the big capitals and seeing just tons of people hanging out and socializing, feel like you barely see that in mmos these days. and I don't mean AFKing in their bikini armor like limsa in XIV lol

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The absolutely terrible idea of watching a Sword Art Online film TYOOL 2023 has made me wish for an action-y MMO with pretty graphics and lush green landscapes. Fashion too. Some sort of skill ceiling for mastering a class I guess.

I dunno, Guild Wars 2 kinda was that back in the day but watching streams of it today it looks kinda ugly to be honest, at least judging by streams.

I do play FFXIV actively (up to latest ultimate raids and all) but the jobs/classes are all kinda honestly stale for me. I do absolutely love the fashion though. The obvious choice would be Black Desert Online but god drat that seems like a bad hole to get into.

God, I've been clever enough not to want a new MMO for like a decade now. There's nothing there, is there? The genre is kinda dead for new releases (and any new release is basically a korea grind/f2p hell/p2w hell/vaporware/scam) the money is elsewhere and the current titles are entrenched.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Unfortunately, short of a terrible KMMO grind, most of that specific experience got drained out into big-budget single player games instead.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Live service games are eating MMOs lunch. You don't need a full MMO to get people to pay monthly for your game anymore.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unfortunately a lot of mmo-based anime get their plot from the unrealistic idea that you can have one player that is uniquely good/skilled at something or that there is an item that only one person on the server gets, which is absolutely the opposite of how 99.999% of mmos are designed to operate because it sucks for everyone else. Sorry buddy but you didn't lose that fight because you were bad at the game, Irichi and his harem of 6 "18 year old" girls got an item out of a dungeon that you don't have access to which let them cheat.

There are games that have tried to do things like that; I'm not sure which mmo it was but there was a recent one that let you research into perks for weapons and theoretically you could become the "best" at making +crit weapons. But other than that everything levels out eventually.

Now, I do believe that they could make it so that you can get a +1 sword that beats out the rest at the end of a really hard dungeon as a guaranteed drop, that would be really cool. But since that would require a lot of work to design which by its nature would only be seen one time it's unlikely devs would do it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think SWG probably is the mmo that tried the hardest to do that with the original iteration of their Jedi mechanic

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Matrix Online ran live events with a lot of distinctive one-time things that often involved, iirc, involving players in different ways that would sometimes empower them. TMO was pretty unique in not being about a loot treadmill or traditional dungeons and indeed the gameplay was pretty weird in a lot of ways but I only vaguely recall it

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Frog Act posted:

The Matrix Online ran live events with a lot of distinctive one-time things that often involved, iirc, involving players in different ways that would sometimes empower them. TMO was pretty unique in not being about a loot treadmill or traditional dungeons and indeed the gameplay was pretty weird in a lot of ways but I only vaguely recall it

It was also canon and killed off Morpheus. That's the one I regret missing out on.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Broke: killing off characters from your blockbuster MMO in a book no one reads
Woke: killing off characters from your blockbuster movies in a MMO no one plays

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unfortunately a lot of mmo-based anime get their plot from the unrealistic idea that you can have one player that is uniquely good/skilled at something or that there is an item that only one person on the server gets, which is absolutely the opposite of how 99.999% of mmos are designed to operate because it sucks for everyone else. Sorry buddy but you didn't lose that fight because you were bad at the game, Irichi and his harem of 6 "18 year old" girls got an item out of a dungeon that you don't have access to which let them cheat.

There are games that have tried to do things like that; I'm not sure which mmo it was but there was a recent one that let you research into perks for weapons and theoretically you could become the "best" at making +crit weapons. But other than that everything levels out eventually.

Now, I do believe that they could make it so that you can get a +1 sword that beats out the rest at the end of a really hard dungeon as a guaranteed drop, that would be really cool. But since that would require a lot of work to design which by its nature would only be seen one time it's unlikely devs would do it.

MMO based anime are referencing older MMO based anime which were mostly drawing from FF11, which did have the same thing as other MMOs of its time where someone could have really exclusive/rare loot and getting it is poorly documented. It's exaggerated for fiction but that's where the idea comes from.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mister Olympus posted:

MMO based anime are referencing older MMO based anime which were mostly drawing from FF11, which did have the same thing as other MMOs of its time where someone could have really exclusive/rare loot and getting it is poorly documented. It's exaggerated for fiction but that's where the idea comes from.

If you're talking about .hack//sign it came out 2 months before FFXI

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

.hack is drawing from ultima online. you can tell because The World has open world pvp that people take deathly seriously

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

THE BAR posted:

One of my main gripes was how every class had exactly one weapon type.

But I hope I'm misremembering.

isn't that completely normal for MMOs?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

If you're talking about .hack//sign it came out 2 months before FFXI

i'm thinking mainly about the .hack video games which are functionally single player versions of ff11, is where it's clearest, but like i said, obscure bosses and loot drops with no real clarity on how to get them wasn't uncommon for the time

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

RottenK posted:

isn't that completely normal for MMOs?

Not really, EQ and WoW (the archetypal class based mmos) have multiple 1H and 2H options for most classes. EQ in particular has some weird melee weapons like the Rod of Annihilation that only casters can use. Recently melee has become a popular leveling spec for non-twink necromancers on project 1999

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm mildly excited for Wayfinder going into early access next month. I guess it's more of an "MMO-lite" or whatever people call games like Warframe and Destiny 2 these days, but it at least looks really nice, seems to have a relatively decent monetization model and is actually, like, releasing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I played one of the closed betas and it was extremely rough, I am genuinely surprised they're planning on releasing it so soon. Hoping they did alot of work on it because it was nowhere near ready lol.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played one of the closed betas and it was extremely rough, I am genuinely surprised they're planning on releasing it so soon. Hoping they did alot of work on it because it was nowhere near ready lol.

They delayed it like 3-4 months after their first beta I think, it was supposed to go into EA back in April or May. I didn't play it but even the people I read saying it was rough still mostly said they had fun. Rough-but-fun seems like about as much as I can expect from the MMO world.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I think it has potential, although I dislike the warframe style 1+ week grind per character thing they have going on but eh oh well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kinda weirdly that's sort of what I'm looking for? I tried Warframe way too late in its life to really feel like I can get into it, but I liked the idea of "there's a few new distinct characters introduced every year and you play them all" as a game model. It seems like a good combination of "I'll check out this new season and play the new character for a couple weeks" before going back to something else and "I'm still making long-term progression on my account collecting new characters and items" or whatever that kind of makes something an MMO-like experience to me.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 24, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ranzear posted:

It was also canon and killed off Morpheus. That's the one I regret missing out on.

I'm slightly obsessed with the storyline of the matrix online. Among the stories that were originally delivered with the game but got shitcanned when the studio changed hands was one in which Neo was in a coma in the matrix in the guise of a woman named Sarah Edmontons. Knowing what we know now it seems like this storyline would have come from the Wachowski sisters but the new writers said there were no written notes about what this storyline was supposed to be when they took over so they just got rid of it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It seems like it's an incredible bit of movie history and I'm just imagining some cost-of-everything-value-of-nothing producer shrugging and deleting it from some internal doc because it didn't fit their target demographic.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Anno posted:

Kinda weirdly that's sort of what I'm looking for? I tried Warframe way too late in its life to really feel like I can get into it, but I liked the idea of "there's a few new distinct characters introduced every year and you play them all" as a game model. It seems like a good combination of "I'll check out this new season and play the new character for a couple weeks" before going back to something else and "I'm still making long-term progression on my account collecting new characters and items" or whatever that kind of makes something an MMO-like experience to me.

BDO is like this in a way and it adds longevity to a game for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i wish there was anything good about bdo besides the combat. is there any group content ouside pvp that doesn't take months of grind to reach yet?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unfortunately a lot of mmo-based anime get their plot from the unrealistic idea that you can have one player that is uniquely good/skilled at something or that there is an item that only one person on the server gets, which is absolutely the opposite of how 99.999% of mmos are designed to operate because it sucks for everyone else.
That's true but on the other hand I was rereading stuff about Asheron's Call the other day and it's full of stories of weird bullshit secret system exploits and rare near-unique items granted by admins to select players, much closer to those stories, and to the mud tradition than later MMOs.

Mister Olympus posted:

i'm thinking mainly about the .hack video games which are functionally single player versions of ff11
I think it also owes a lot to the original Phantasy Star Online, what with instanced dungeons and all

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Chev posted:

That's true but on the other hand I was rereading stuff about Asheron's Call the other day and it's full of stories of weird bullshit secret system exploits and rare near-unique items granted by admins to select players, much closer to those stories, and to the mud tradition than later MMOs.

I was thinking this same thing, out of all of them Asheron's Call is probably The Anime MMO.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what was that one martial arts themed browser MMO where players got to invent classes and run guilds entirely for themselves? there's that too

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mister Olympus posted:

what was that one martial arts themed browser MMO where players got to invent classes and run guilds entirely for themselves? there's that too

My brain wanted to say Age of Wushu, but I think the class inventing bit is from something else, so... World of Kung Fu, maybe? I don't think it was quite as unique as the game made it sound though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly the Matrix Online was really cool what little I played of it, but my PC at the time choked trying to run it so I didn't end up playing it for more than a couple weeks before going back to WoW. I absolutely do remember logging in one day and seeing the cutscene where Morpheus dies and thinkin "drat this rules". I don't fully remember but I think at one point they gave it the Star Wars Galaxies CU treatment which did not go over well.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i played a bit of TMO but i have a knack for starting games right before the plug is pulled on them. i just remember every actual "quest" seemed to be the same thing in the same drab office building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

i played a bit of TMO but i have a knack for starting games right before the plug is pulled on them. i just remember every actual "quest" seemed to be the same thing in the same drab office building

Yeah that was the biggest weakness, IIRC. I recall the combat being interesting, though. I think the main thing driving the game was the ongoing story updates, which were pretty first of their kind. I did pop back into the game for like the last week of its existence but, well, it was a week so I didn't get very far then, either. I just remember that the very last thing that happened before the servers shut down was every single player character getting crushed into a cube