Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and just get a 2nd cheap pre-paid line to use with my phone tourism because I like the Fold too much to take my primary line out of it for short term uses with other devices.

I realized that I can use T-Mobile Digits to make and receive calls on my primary number no mater what device I want to use and I can install messages for web as a PWA application on any phone (SIM or no SIM) so I can send and receive text on my primary line and even get notifications and stuff (not that I use text messages all that much.)

So, $15 /month Mint SIM it is. It will probably mostly live in my Z Flip so I can go from one extreme to the other, grabbing it for times when I want a minimal carry and I'm not going to be using the device much.

It's dumb, but I realized if if I have all these devices, $180 a year isn't much to make it so I use them a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Desk Lamp posted:

I believe the Pixel shouldn't allow any input if the proximity sensor detects something pressed against the phone, I don't think it's a setting you can toggle though.
it's not supposed to but it absolutely does, and has for me across multiple pixel phones. i rarely do phone calls but i'd say there's a 50/50 chance of my face turning on the flashlight

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Never had a problem with Pixel doing it, but I sure as poo poo had that problem with my S23 Ultra.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anyone out there use a TCL 20 pro 5g? Is it feasible to replace the battery on something like that? I've had it for 2 years, absolutely zero complaints but the battery life is tanking

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am having a really annoying problem on my pixel 7 pro. I get no notifications for texts from my wife (using default messaging app). I get notifications normally from anybody else texting. I've been through the notification settings for the app and for the specific text conversation and everything is set normal, but for 3-4 days now whenever she texts me I have no idea unless I manually go into the conversation to look. It's really pissing her off and me as well.

Anybody experienced something like this or have any ideas? This is literally threatening the stability of my marriage lol.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

butt dickus posted:

it's not supposed to but it absolutely does, and has for me across multiple pixel phones. i rarely do phone calls but i'd say there's a 50/50 chance of my face turning on the flashlight

...wait there's a way to make my face turn on the flashlight?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

D-Pad posted:

I am having a really annoying problem on my pixel 7 pro. I get no notifications for texts from my wife (using default messaging app). I get notifications normally from anybody else texting. I've been through the notification settings for the app and for the specific text conversation and everything is set normal, but for 3-4 days now whenever she texts me I have no idea unless I manually go into the conversation to look. It's really pissing her off and me as well.

Anybody experienced something like this or have any ideas? This is literally threatening the stability of my marriage lol.

Unblock your wife!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

D-Pad posted:

I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. I think it was related to having left the web messages client running on my desktop, but what ever the cause was, it stopped doing that about a week later.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. I think it was related to having left the web messages client running on my desktop, but what ever the cause was, it stopped doing that about a week later.

Same, and it's still doing it when web messages is open, but not in focus.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Never had a problem with Pixel doing it, but I sure as poo poo had that problem with my S23 Ultra.

Can't say it's ever been a problem for me. No problems with pocket dialing either.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah I had it open myself. After closing it down I am getting notifications from her again, even after opening the messages client back up. Weird, I wonder why it only happened with my wifes messages though and not any of the others?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you have conversation selected in the browser? Maybe it was marking them as read before your phone had a chance to notify.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Did you have conversation selected in the browser? Maybe it was marking them as read before your phone had a chance to notify.

This is exactly what I think was happening to me since my wife is the person I message the most.

Alt theory, Google A/B testing is enabling wife DND mode powered by AI.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is exactly what I think was happening to me since my wife is the person I message the most.

Alt theory, Google A/B testing is enabling wife DND mode powered by AI.

This is what was happening to me - Pixel 6 Pro. Saw notification appear - then disappear. Closed Messages in browser, notifications behaved normally. Opened it back up and error reappeared. Feel like messages on the web may have updated recently, so I guess they broke some poo poo.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
They added a button to reply to a message via the web, but they broke notifications if it's left open :google:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

Thanks! My dad had reported something similar with texts from a friend of his not generating notifications, and I know he uses the web messenger on his desktop. This is probably what was doing it - good to know for the future.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
omfg this has been driving me nuts for days. I had assumed it was some bad interaction between my Pixel 3XL and the messages app (my 5A BSOD'd and I had to pull this one out to get me along for now). Just closed Web messages and notifs started working again.

They've definitely been loving with the web client a bunch lately so I'm guessing they broke it. Good job :google:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Is this a good thread to ask for information about phone accessories such as chargers? Or is there a more apt thread?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The Demilich posted:

Is this a good thread to ask for information about phone accessories such as chargers? Or is there a more apt thread?

I always ask here or in one of the specific threads for the store if it exists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just buy this bundle and it will cover like 90% of your charging needs for a very long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-Charger-Foldable-Supports/dp/B0BVZQS4X6

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm looking for a wireless charging pad for my Galaxy s9+

The reason for this request is I'm using an Antlion usb mic + USB A/C adapter & some Sennheiser 560s headphones for work/gaming, so both the headphone jack and USB C port will be in use simultaneously.

I have no idea what brands are good, but I do know the charging pad I paid for through Verizon when I first got the phone years ago was utter trash and wouldn't charge through my phone case.

Any recommendations?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there any way to tweak the screen color modes? I want something right in-between natural and vivid. Using an S23.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Or an app for adjusting saturation or contrast? He;pl

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Android Thread: He;pl

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bottom Liner posted:

:mods:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
It's an old SA joke.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PirateBob posted:

It's an old SA joke.

Bottom Liner posted:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PirateBob posted:

It's an old SA joke.

We're are all old SA jokes by now so it fits.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Is there a way to schedule work profiles to automatically shut off on Samsung phones, or did those bozos remove it from the stock Digital Wellbeing for no reason?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I didn't even realise I could schedule the work profile, but I'm able to on my OnePlus 9P. Never looked at the digital wellbeing settings before, thanks!

Counter-intuitively, there's no way to schedule it from the work profile settings. Nor a link to it like other cross-referenced settings have.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I've never used my Pixel 4a to video before, but need to use it to make a video of about an hour in length to show someone around a building site without power etc.

Will it hold up to that if the battery is at 100% when I start?

Appreciate will depend on age of device etc.

Just wanting an idea as to whether it's practical or I need to come up with another option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Overheating may be a concern depending on resolution and frame rate. I know even my S22U could only manage about 23 minutes of 4k60 video before the video app crashed from overheating.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wasn't there a time limit for how long of a video one could record? Or am I thinking of something else besides phones? I vaguely remember seeing that when looking at cameras (years and years ago).

And trying to do a Google search about it also brought up if you have enough storage for a video that long.

Does it have to be one "take"?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I've never used my Pixel 4a to video before, but need to use it to make a video of about an hour in length to show someone around a building site without power etc.

Will it hold up to that if the battery is at 100% when I start?

Appreciate will depend on age of device etc.

Just wanting an idea as to whether it's practical or I need to come up with another option.

Turn on the video mode and park it on your desk/window. You will know in an hour.
I use my old MiA2 as a camera for videocalls regularly, but I keep it plugged in for that. And have it set to 720p instead of full HD to make sure it doesn't melt or something.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Turn on the video mode and park it on your desk/window. You will know in an hour.
I use my old MiA2 as a camera for videocalls regularly, but I keep it plugged in for that. And have it set to 720p instead of full HD to make sure it doesn't melt or something.

Good idea actually, will give this a go tonight and yeah breaking it down into 20 min segments is an option.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I recorded a 4k video on Christmas morning one time accidentally (the 4k part). It was almost 2 hours and my s21u had no issues with it.

Unfortunately the video was enormous and it was still trying to upload to Google photos 1.5 years later when I got rid of the phone.

Breaking it into smaller segments will make distribution immensely easier

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
1080 24p should be fine unless it's 100+ degrees where you're recording.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Stupid question:

I've been banging my head against the wall for hours trying to figure out how to set unique notification sounds for different apps on a Galaxy S21+ with the latest Android 13 installed. From searching online, it seems to indicate I need to set that through the app, but when I go through an app, for example Yahoo Mail, it only allows me to turn the default notifications on or off. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phone Settings - Apps - Click on app - Notification - Notification Categories - Click on the one you want to change.

That's OneUi 5.1 on the S23U but it should be similar.