Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
AT&T at a 29-year low.

Bought some last week. The f word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
okay I'll buy a few of that T garbage, thanks

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

T and VZ getting a ton of bad press because of lots of old buried lines containing lead, see WSJ. lawsuits might be coming

also T caught some flak this weekend for accounting deception in how its debt is reported but that’s probably not a big deal to pros

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I feel like it's a solid Buy The Dip situation. we'll see!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hooray, I’m finally back to break even on my VTI because I bought so much of it at the previous ATH.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's a classic "widows and orphans and trading thread" stock.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

guys don't tell the long-term thread, but this is straight from Matt Levine's "Money Stuff" newsletter today:

Money Stuff posted:

Timing

The best time to plant a tree is 30 years ago, and the second-best time is now, but that does not work for investing. The best time to buy into a big investing trend is just before it becomes a big investing trend, and the worst time is at the peak. Anyway here’s a story about Cathie Wood’s ARK Innovation exchange-traded fund:

Levine quoting WSJ posted:

Known by its ticker symbol ARKK, Wood’s fund became an investor darling shortly after the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic with hugely successful bets on unprofitable and “disruptive” technology companies. It took in huge amounts of investor money, culminating with a $6.5 billion inflow in the first quarter of 2021, when its share price peaked.

Then, the Federal Reserve’s fastest interest-rate hiking campaign in decades crushed the valuations of unprofitable growth companies, which often attract investors when interest rates are low and returns on safer investments such as CDs are minimal. Shares of ARKK plunged 67% in 2022, but its investors largely held on or bought the dip. Now, analysts say they expect some of those investors are getting out for good. …

The ARKK fund has an 11% annualized average return since inception, but the average ARKK investor has lost 21% on a dollar-weighted, annualized basis, according to FactSet.

first sentence boldface by me

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

pmchem posted:

guys don't tell the long-term thread, but this is straight from Matt Levine's "Money Stuff" newsletter today:

first sentence boldface by me

I don't really know why the first two sentences are arranged in a way to suggest that they have a relation to the story about a fund that was doing well betting lots of money on emergent industries, that have a very poor track record of ever making money, losing money once the market started to correct

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 18, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Looks like both T and VZ have reverted back to around their pre-lead cables story levels. Well played if you bought the dip.

Tonight brings earnings for memestock/6th largest market cap stock in the SP500 Tesla. I remember selling some $200 puts on it in June and now it's just under $300 a share. I'm sure it'll explode in some direction after earnings, God knows which though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Subvisual Haze posted:

Looks like both T and VZ have reverted back to around their pre-lead cables story levels. Well played if you bought the dip.
I bought the T dip and have a tidy little amount of unrealized gains but that 8% yield making me not want to sell :|

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

I bought the T dip and have a tidy little amount of unrealized gains but that 8% yield making me not want to sell :|

:boom:

Except I'm in VZ, so might be in better shape than you to sit back and collect the long term gainz and dividends. T feels like a goddamn dumpster fire of bullshit and ineptness.

Lets check back in a year and see if we should have just sold today.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

The yield has been pretty good for a few years

but total return is pretty negative

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AAL earnings leak? I'll take optimism too. I've got $19 options I didn't close last time I was ITM.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ReidRansom posted:

AAL earnings leak? I'll take optimism too. I've got $19 options I didn't close last time I was ITM.

DAL didn't move much at all after their fairly positive earnings so I would hope for too much.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm a T and VZ bagholder. I also enjoy F.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

DAL didn't move much at all after their fairly positive earnings so I would hope for too much.

I grabbed them cheap a bit back to offset a bad stock position I took at like... ~23 some years ago. I'm up overall, basically probably going to sell tomorrow at opening if it doesn't poo poo itself.

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm a T and VZ bagholder. I also enjoy F.

I mean, dividends at least? I've been holding F for years now. It's moved gently caress all, but I've probably made my money back in dividends. Which I guess aren't taxed or some poo poo because rich people? Unsure. It's money, anyway.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can someone explain to me what the heck is happening with SIRI today?

I bought 500 shares of this back in 2008, so I'm wondering what the heck to do with it now that it's at a 10 year high.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
TSLA and NFLX down almost 10% the day after pretty expected earnings. Maybe the previous 6 months of piling into mega tech and AI stocks is starting to pull back.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ReidRansom posted:

I grabbed them cheap a bit back to offset a bad stock position I took at like... ~23 some years ago. I'm up overall, basically probably going to sell tomorrow at opening if it doesn't poo poo itself.

I mean, dividends at least? I've been holding F for years now. It's moved gently caress all, but I've probably made my money back in dividends. Which I guess aren't taxed or some poo poo because rich people? Unsure. It's money, anyway.

The issue is that theyre lagging relative to just buying an index fund, even accounting for yield. I'm my own worst investment advisor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subvisual Haze posted:

TSLA and NFLX down almost 10% the day after pretty expected earnings. Maybe the previous 6 months of piling into mega tech and AI stocks is starting to pull back.

Where have I seen this pattern before

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Subvisual Haze posted:

Hopefully pre-revenue biotech will start to get more attention.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Can someone explain to me what the heck is happening with SIRI today?

Here's what Barron's had to say. Possible short blowup plus some fun technical factors...

quote:

Sirius XM Holdings SIRI +42.26% stock surged 42% Thursday on an apparent combination of short covering, an unwinding of a spread trade involving Liberty SiriusXM, and possible buying related to a rebalancing of the Nasdaq 100 index.

As Barron’s reported Wednesday, shares of Sirius XM (ticker: SIRI), the leading satellite radio operator, have been driven higher by short-covering. Short interest recently stood at 33% of the available float, one of the highest ratios of any company in the Russell 1,000 index. SiriusXM has been strong lately, gaining 7% Wednesday and 41% during the prior month through Wednesday. But the stock went vertical Thursday on heavy volume of 125 million shares, seven times the average daily volume recently. It now has doubled since mid-June.

Another factor driving up Sirius XM stock could be investors unwinding a trade in which they were long Liberty SiriusXM Group (LSXMA), a tracking stock created by Liberty Media FWONA –0.99% that owns about 83% of the company’s stock, and short Sirius XM stock. A tracking stock offers investors the economics of a business or investments but not actual ownership of the underlying assets.

“There has been a huge rally in the most shorted stocks in the last six weeks,” Jeff Wlodarczak, an analyst with Pivotal Research Group, told Barron’s Wednesday. He says SiriusXM has been one of the beneficiaries.

That Liberty SiriusXM/Sirius XM spread trade has been popular with hedge funds—which are among the largest holders of the Liberty tracking stock—because the tracker has traded at a roughly 35% discount to the value of its asset in June, similar to the discount over much of the past year. Its assets largely consist of 3.2 billion shares of Sirius XM stock. Its other asset is a roughly 30% stake in Live Nation (LYV), the live music company.

This trade looked even more attractive after Liberty Media recently approved a move to separate the Liberty Sirius XM tracking stock into two tracking stocks that will take effect in early August, one tracking Sirius XM, and the other tracking Live Nation. Some investors piled into the Liberty SiriusXM tracking stock ahead of that move banking that the simplification would result in a narrower spread relative to Sirius stock. But the opposite has happened—in a big way.

The spread between Sirius and Liberty Sirius has now blown out to about 55% with the value of Liberty SiriusXM’s stakes in Sirius XM and Live Nation approaching $80 per Liberty SiriusXM share, Barron’s estimates. With the trade going badly, hedge funds may have hit the self-imposed “drawdown limits” on their positions and could be unwinding them if they have lost too much money on a mark-to-market basis.

Liberty SiriusXM stock (LSXMA), which normally tracks Sirius XM shares, was little changed Thursday at $34.57 after being in the red for part of the session, despite the gain in the underlying stock. This is an indication that investors involved in the tracker/Sirius trade are unwinding it.

Another rumored factor behind the run-up in Sirius XM is the rebalancing of the Nasdaq 100 index to reduce the weighting in its largest components. That may be resulting in buying of about 15 million shares of Sirius by the Invesco QQQ Trust QQQ –2.31% (QQQ). Barron’s has not been able to confirm this yet.

Add them all up, and you have a massive move in Sirius, one that should make people happy—as long as they weren’t short the stock.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh interesting.

Well I bought SIRI so cheap that I might as well view it as a lottery ticket at this point and see where it goes!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Isn’t that saying SIRI went up because of a short squeeze and is probably just going to come back down now? Seems like a good time to sell.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Oh interesting.

Well I bought SIRI so cheap that I might as well view it as a lottery ticket at this point and see where it goes!

Please for the love of God take some profits at the least. So many times I've had this mindset with a big winner to really regret a month plus later when the stock has lost 50% value

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I sold at $7.00 this morning after seeing what happened when the market opened. Held onto that stock for 15 years!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm pretty well invested in LECO, but occasionally they have a severe price problem that makes me really uneasy about holding on to it, despite solid performance so far and projected company growth. Around close yesterday, the spread was nearly $170 on a stock only worth $210 a share, but when I looked at it a couple times this morning and early afternoon, it'd only been a ~$.15 difference each time I looked and it made me feel like I'm crazy for wanting to jump ship last night

Is this just a "quirk" of low trade volumes in a boring sector that I need to plan around, or a massive problem that I need to divest myself from in the morning when the spread is actually reasonable? Because from where I sit, the lifeboats look mighty comfortable right now, but I also don't want to drop an otherwise good stock because I got spooked by normal movements from trade activity dying down for the day

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I sold at $7.00 this morning after seeing what happened when the market opened. Held onto that stock for 15 years!

Thank you for doing the smart thing that I never manage to do!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

If anyone else has been watching the AMC/APE drama, the court struck down the settlement this afternoon. AMC is up 80% and APE is down 20%.

I'm too chicken to actually do it, but I think the move (only in the short term) is to buy AMC. Pretend I bought 1,000 shares at 7.76 here, to be sold at 11:00 AM on Monday. Let's see how it works.

EDIT: It wouldn't have worked. Price at 11:00 AM Monday is $5.39; the parties filed pretty quickly to fix the settlement issues and the shares dumped.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm pretty well invested in LECO, but occasionally they have a severe price problem that makes me really uneasy about holding on to it, despite solid performance so far and projected company growth. Around close yesterday, the spread was nearly $170 on a stock only worth $210 a share, but when I looked at it a couple times this morning and early afternoon, it'd only been a ~$.15 difference each time I looked and it made me feel like I'm crazy for wanting to jump ship last night

That seems... really odd, I actually suspect your data is screwed up. LECO traded 429,000 shares today, it's not some illiquid turd.

Is it possible that you looked at the price exactly at 4:01 or 4:02 PM? You might see gigantic bid/ask spreads like you mention very shortly after the market close before some after hours bids and offers start coming in.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 24, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Agronox posted:

If anyone else has been watching the AMC/APE drama, the court struck down the settlement this afternoon. AMC is up 80% and APE is down 20%.

I'm too chicken to actually do it, but I think the move (only in the short term) is to buy AMC. Pretend I bought 1,000 shares at 7.76 here, to be sold at 11:00 AM on Monday. Let's see how it works.

Lot of people were trying to profit off that spread and will need to get out at *any* price now eh. I think you're likely right.

Edit: I'm in! One time dealer, one time!

Baddog fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 21, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Agronox posted:

That seems... really odd, I actually suspect your data is screwed up. LECO traded 429,000 shares today, it's not some illiquid turd.

Is it possible that you looked at the price exactly at 4:01 or 4:02 PM? You might see gigantic bid/ask spreads like you mention very shortly after the market close before some after hours bids and offers start coming in.

I had been taught that large disparities in price like that usually come from illiquidity and to me, 300k a day on average doesn't seem like that large a volume compared to the majority of stocks I've looked at, but I'm glad to be wrong. I did look again last night at about 8pm to show the missus and it was still $170, I've posted in this thread about a $20 spread I saw right before bed, and when I checked while writing my post at about 3:20, it was $8. Of course, now it's a much more reasonable $.58 and I feel kind of silly for making a fuss, but it keeps happening and I'd really prefer that it didn't. Or at least I'd like to know why it was happening so I can be confident that it will keep going back into a normal range

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

march 13, 2021:

pmchem posted:

someone tell me why this company's stock price won't tank:

https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=APPH&ty=c&ta=1&p=d

"pre-revenue" SPAC in 2020, trading at somewhere around (edit: 200?) times projected 2021 sales, that will have negative EBITDA in 2021. short interest isn't very high so no squeeze on the horizon.

nothing they're doing seems like it can't be reproduced by some other big agri company. they have a fancy greenhouse.

warrants can be exercised on may 21 for $11.50/share of commons (stock trades @ $23 right now)
https://investors.appharvest.com/investor-resources/investor-faqs

I mean, they sell tomatoes. a 2.5 billion dollar company that is losing money selling tomatoes.

just now:

https://twitter.com/breadcrumbsre/status/1683435680955871232?s=20

:rip:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I really hate that Twitter won't allow you to read the tweet the reply is to unless you have an an account, because I refuse to have an account

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
another garbage deSPAC bites the dust. In the end, almost all will fall.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I really hate that Twitter won't allow you to read the tweet the reply is to unless you have an an account, because I refuse to have an account

Uh excuse me it’s called X now. :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

With twitter, I don't even know if that's a joke anymore, but I do want to hear about tomato futures

E: oh god, it's not a joke. Who needs brand recognition anyways?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 24, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

Lot of people were trying to profit off that spread and will need to get out at *any* price now eh. I think you're likely right.

Edit: I'm in! One time dealer, one time!

Welp, AMC had people working overtime friday night, filed an amendment on saturday, CEO sent out a letter to shareholders pleading to make this work/support the deal. Net result, lot of people convinced that AMC/APE conversion is still gonna happen and the squeeze didn't pan out this morning.

Still was a decent play, honestly very surprised they reacted so fast and got that done over the weekend. Fuckers!

I'm out at 5.18.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DoubleT2172 posted:

Thank you for doing the smart thing that I never manage to do!

Watching the stock drop this morning made me feel like I made a good decision!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

E: oh god, it's not a joke. Who needs brand recognition anyways?

The media are obsessed with twitter, you'd think it had more than 300 million active users, but nope. They are going to make sure you know about their favorite alternative platform, and have you hang on every word about the latest development. Brand recognition won't be a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I need a book or resource to help me develop strategies.

I'm bored of the standby. I wait for spy to get oversold according to my own personal opinion and lever long it. I sell 0dte spx condors on the regular when we have a good D shaped day forming. Will someone tell me how to determine decent stocks to short strangle on or other odds and ends risk neutral strategies/search methods. I'm so bored and I don't want to bet on stock news or the future.