Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

A Life in Footnotes is out in paperback, for those who were waiting.

It's really really good, if a bit harrowing at the end, read it if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The bit towards the end where Terry was terrified of the traffic in the rain because he thought he was being attacked by spaceships was loving harrowing. To even imagine that kind of situation happening to me, let alone someone I care about...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I went through multiple grandparents going through dementia, I’m not sure I have the heart to read it happening to my favorite author

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It gets pretty brutal towards the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's unsparing.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

It is a tough read in parts, and yeah it brought back memories of watching my dad dying of a brain tumor. Don't know if that personal resonance made it easier or harder to get through overall. But Rob does a fantastic job relaying the story, warts and all. He in unsparing in telling the story while also not feeling like he's milking every lurid detail for the shock value. It's deeply human and caring. And it does a good job of explaining how Terry wanted to show people what he was going through, unflinchingly, to help others who might face similar situations.

It's very impactful, and it did make me feel sad all over again that his life was cut so short. But it also made me feel deeply grateful that he lived and shared so much with us. There is much to take away besides insight into tragedy; if you're a Pratchett fan, it's really really worth the read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"I think I was good, but I could have been better" :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Copied from the main SF&F thread:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dunmanifestin/good-omens

Official GN adaptation of Good Omens, illustrated by long time Gaiman collaborator Colleen Doran. £5 discount on the book if you back in the first 24 hours, which is still the case at time of posting.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Did Kickstarter ever walk back their Blockchain bullshit?

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Osmosisch posted:

Did Kickstarter ever walk back their Blockchain bullshit?

According to an article from the end of June, yes, they walked it back. They haven't sworn off it but claim they have no plan to move Kickstarter to it at this time.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/terry-pratchetts-discworld

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

okay but they should have made a full set of Going Postal stamps

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.discworldemporium.com/product-category/discworld-stamps/

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Sadly the ones I'd want are out of stock

For some reason I can't seem to be able to pre-order the collectors sheet from the royalmail site, just says that it failed with no other explanation. Oh well

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 4, 2023

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ordered! Thanks!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Myok posted:

According to an article from the end of June, yes, they walked it back. They haven't sworn off it but claim they have no plan to move Kickstarter to it at this time.

Thanks! That's nice to hear, though there does still seem some breathing about the bush instead of just dropping the stupid idea. Still, looks like it was mostly the ex-ceo being a weirdo. Good to know I can look at stuff on there again.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got around to starting A Life With Footnotes and was not expecting it to tear my heart out so quickly.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Small Gods and Unseen Academicals were the only Discworld books my local library had so I checked them both out. I loved Small Gods but haven’t started Unseen Academicals yet because now that I know I like the series I’m thinking maybe I should start at the beginning. Does it matter or no?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sublimer posted:

Small Gods and Unseen Academicals were the only Discworld books my local library had so I checked them both out. I loved Small Gods but haven’t started Unseen Academicals yet because now that I know I like the series I’m thinking maybe I should start at the beginning. Does it matter or no?

Strictly speaking, no, they're all self-contained but things do progress and people change. But I'd save UA for later.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
UA definitely benefits from reading all the previous books that exist

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

agreed. UA is very solidly for me in the category of "want to read a discworld book but I'm running out."

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

UA is where Discworld starts getting really weak. I still haven't read Pyramids myself I need to dig into the standalone Discworld stuff by now, man he wrote a lot of books...

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The best Discworld book to read next is "whatever you can get your hands on," but if you've got easy access to them all, then publication order is best.

Some books, like Small Gods, are almost entirely self-contained. But some books DO share quite a lot of characters, so reading them out of order can be a bit of whiplash occasionally with regards to character growth. Still, they all work on their own - there are no cliffhangers or complexly woven plots that stretch across multiple books like it was A Song of Ice and Fire or something.

Do be aware that the first two books (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) are tonally a bit different (less serious, more directly parodying fantasy literature), so if you don't like them as much, don't worry - that ends after those two books.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sublimer posted:

What else do you like to read, what else are you into? There's probably something Pratchett wrote which will speak to it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you like Small Gods you might enjoy Pyramids

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Trin Tragula posted:

What else do you like to read, what else are you into? There's probably something Pratchett wrote which will speak to it.

I’m not really even sure. I know there are series within the series like Witches and Night Watch? I typically like more serious stuff (Wheel of Time, Dune series, Expanse series) and couldn’t get into the Hitchhiker’s books, but the Discworld series is so beloved I gotta give it a fair shake.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sublimer posted:

I’m not really even sure. I know there are series within the series like Witches and Night Watch? I typically like more serious stuff (Wheel of Time, Dune series, Expanse series) and couldn’t get into the Hitchhiker’s books, but the Discworld series is so beloved I gotta give it a fair shake.

Thing about the Nights Watch for example is that yeah there’s continuity, but only in a very broad strokes sense, like in one book a character is marrying someone and in a later book they’ve got a kid, so clearly there’s some overarching development there, but internal to the specific book it rarely matters beyond framing that character’s status and journey within the plot of the book. Of course, coming to an earlier book after reading a later one may then have a few things spoiled, but those sort of beats are rarely subtle or unexpected, like you’ll know who’s marrying who pretty darn quick, it’s more about the journey than a surprise twist.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sublimer posted:

Read the Watch books if you can.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Seconding the Watch series, if you want more serious stuff the Watch series is the way to go. Though I believe that the Witches series is the best, 100% because of the Tiffany Aching books, Terry's best work

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Witches > Death > Unseen Faculty > Watch in my opinion, but that's fine, you're all allowed to be wrong and I can't stop you.

I couldn't pick an absolute favourite but if hard-pressed I might submit Witches Abroad because of the scene where Granny takes advantage of the Law of Contagion going both ways when having the fight with Mrs. Gogol, or Reaper Man because it started the Dark Morris and also has that whole......everything, with the mechanical harvester being pointless because it doesn't love the grain, and what reason has the grain to be, if not for the care of the reaper-man?

I did have trouble getting into Unseen Academicals but tbh I am not a sports guy in any way, shape, or form, which is probably why.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you don't enjoy the style of HHGTTG, Discworld is probably going to be a bit of a minefield because Pratchett has a lot of the same kind of humor and sensibilities. Watch and Death books are probably the farthest from that style, with Witches and Non-Rincewind Wizards being closer, and Rincewind books basically being Arthur Dent With A Pointy Hat.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think it depends on what you don't like about HHGTTG, excluding maybe the Rincewind books none of the Discworld books have the same disregard for coherent narrative and a-b-c storytelling as hhgttg. It might not be immediately clear why one thing leads to another at first but they're usually fairly tightly plotted at least for the sake of a solid joke recurring later, if not the actual plot. To put it another way, hhgttg often goes "thing a happens, and then we random transition to thing b, elsewhere, thing c is happening also for no reason", and Discworld doesn't do that much. They do have a very similar sense of humor though.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sublimer posted:

unseen academicals isn't very good, and you won't lose anything if you don't read it or any that were published after it

DontMockMySmock posted:

The best Discworld book to read next is "whatever you can get your hands on," but if you've got easy access to them all, then publication order is best.

Some books, like Small Gods, are almost entirely self-contained. But some books DO share quite a lot of characters, so reading them out of order can be a bit of whiplash occasionally with regards to character growth. Still, they all work on their own - there are no cliffhangers or complexly woven plots that stretch across multiple books like it was A Song of Ice and Fire or something.

Do be aware that the first two books (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) are tonally a bit different (less serious, more directly parodying fantasy literature), so if you don't like them as much, don't worry - that ends after those two books.

yeah the first two books are more like general satire with some specific fantasy parodies. some discwordly things are already there, but pratchett really starts making the discworld series unique and good later. mort, wyrd sisters, and guards guards are good starting points. or if you are an avid reader, just start with the first one, the colour of magic

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
tl;dr the right way is to start

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sublimer posted:

You'll probably dig Men at Arms, give that a go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually I'm now curious how UA would land for someone who hasn't read 30+ dw novels

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mad Hamish posted:

I couldn't pick an absolute favourite but if hard-pressed I might submit Witches Abroad because of the scene where Granny takes advantage of the Law of Contagion going both ways when having the fight with Mrs. Gogol, or Reaper Man because it started the Dark Morris and also has that whole......everything, with the mechanical harvester being pointless because it doesn't love the grain, and what reason has the grain to be, if not for the care of the reaper-man?

Witches Abroad doesn't get enough love. I particularly enjoyed the "this one" answer.

"What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?" still gets me every time. I'm tearing up a little bit right now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CommonShore posted:

Actually I'm now curious how UA would land for someone who hasn't read 30+ dw novels

That experiment is unethical and should be illegal. Yet another case of the science leaving law behind, trying to keep up.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Witches Abroad doesn't get enough love. I particularly enjoyed the "this one" answer.

"What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?" still gets me every time. I'm tearing up a little bit right now.

I just finished re-reading Reaper man last week and I burst into tears at the end. Really hits you different when you understand your own mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Reaper Man, Catch-22, and Slaughterhouse-Five are my three "these books shaped who I am" picks. Well, pretty much all of pratchett and vonnegut but if I gotta pick it's those ones.