Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

*World's tiniest violin*

1, in 2008 a massive number of people were practically shoved into high interest loans with promises of "it'll gain value, you can just sell it if you can't afford the payments", and then the housing market collapsed and a lot working class people were left without support and ruined lives. This was in response to a claim that a house was always going to have value.

2, Lower COL areas are lower COL for a reason. There are a lot of people in this world where just "moving to a lower COL area to buy a house" would actually be dangerous for them. Not to mention all of the disadvantaged that can barely keep their heads above water, much less think about moving hundreds of miles. I get that the second point doesn't apply to most of the people posting in this thread though.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If anyone is using terraform to manage azuread, do a quick search for objects that have a name that looks like "TERRAFORM_UPDATE_(GUID)"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

If anyone is using terraform to manage azuread, do a quick search for objects that have a name that looks like "TERRAFORM_UPDATE_(GUID)"

I have solved this by not working with AAD at all :smug:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Excuse me it's called Entra ID!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Fool posted:

1, in 2008 a massive number of people were practically shoved into high interest loans with promises of "it'll gain value, you can just sell it if you can't afford the payments", and then the housing market collapsed and a lot working class people were left without support and ruined lives. This was in response to a claim that a house was always going to have value.

2, Lower COL areas are lower COL for a reason. There are a lot of people in this world where just "moving to a lower COL area to buy a house" would actually be dangerous for them. Not to mention all of the disadvantaged that can barely keep their heads above water, much less think about moving hundreds of miles. I get that the second point doesn't apply to most of the people posting in this thread though.

<snip>

I think we're just arguing over precise definitions on a topic we already agree with so I'll drop this now.

Computers.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

FISHMANPET posted:

Excuse me it's called Entra ID!

old macdonlald had a server farm EID EID Oh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

<snip>
Computers.

Hate em!!!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Fire them into the sun.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

were a mistake

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Think we've got another few thousand years before the Butlerian Jihad, people

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
We have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt a butlerlian jihad will never be necessary unless the world comes together and really starts worrying about what’s being served on the first page of google search results

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teaching sand to do math was a mistake.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

I have solved this by not working with AAD at all :smug:

have you seen the new tfc pricing model

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Fool posted:

have you seen the new tfc pricing model

Nope but it sounds like my main client might need to.

Fake edit: oh my loving god WHAT

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Glad I did all the diag settings and private DNS record in Policy, I don’t see how charging per resource even makes sense for Hashicorp except as a way to squeeze money

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Feeling very smug about resisting hashicorp sales trying to push us off of TFE

With the new pricing model just the core network stuff that I mentioned in the other thread would end up costing us in the ballpark of $3k/month

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For comparison, under the current TFE per workspace model (and our negotiated rate) we pay that much per year

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My tooth hurts after getting a filling this is a mission critical issue and I will be resolving it using industry standard methods for the rest of the day.

:420:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Fool posted:

For comparison, under the current TFE per workspace model (and our negotiated rate) we pay that much per year

Lmao Hashicorp is run by business geniuses

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Also .00014 cents per hour per resource. Would love to meet the genius who came up with this number. Do they give you a discount now if you use your own runners?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tokin opposition posted:

My tooth hurts after getting a filling this is a mission critical issue and I will be resolving it using industry standard methods for the rest of the day.

:420:

and they didn't even give you Tylenol 3? smdh

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

Ah, yes, the very popular pay-per-pipeline model used by other CI/CD products such as:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Ah, yes, the very popular pay-per-pipeline model used by other CI/CD products such as:

I'm not saying any of hashi's billing models are good, just that if we were to switch like their sales people keep bugging us to, it would be an order of magnitude more expensive for us

per user is obviously the more common model with sometimes a limit on concurrency

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

A couple weeks ago I told my boss if he had to lay someone off to make sure it was me. Today our company did layoffs, and guess who still has a job? loving corporate bureaucracy man can’t even get laid off

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Now I’m confused, if I run “terraform apply” and don’t have a terraform account and use AWS, is that now violating the license?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Buff Hardback posted:

Now I’m confused, if I run “terraform apply” and don’t have a terraform account and use AWS, is that now violating the license?

I’m taking this a serious post but I can’t tell if you’re joking (and if you’re not joking not having a frame of reference for TFC isn’t odd). But no. Terraform the command line utility is not impacted by any of this. If you use Terraform Cloud you’re impacted by Hashicorp continually being unable to extract the right value out of their dumbass products

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

i am a moron posted:

I’m taking this a serious post but I can’t tell if you’re joking (and if you’re not joking not having a frame of reference for TFC isn’t odd). But no. Terraform the command line utility is not impacted by any of this. If you use Terraform Cloud you’re impacted by Hashicorp continually being unable to extract the right value out of their dumbass products

It was half serious half joking

terraform brand name overload is a joke

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

No

TFC/TFE are platform automation products made by Hashicorp targeted at larger orgs. They add a bunch of management features that if you were trying to do automation at scale you would otherwise need to build yourself.

terraform cli is still free and open source, along with the various providers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

beaten like a dead rat

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Why am I like this?

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience anyone that keeps a graph of anything up on their desktop is not to be trusted.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
*looks at the EPS graph and alert history graph for my SIEM on the left monitor*

Yes, quite.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Why am I like this?

monitoring your disk i/o speeds while you play a local file of bob dylan like a boomer?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Actually sir it says ‘official audio’ right there in the filename. I think you’ll find most boomers cannot locate this on limewire successfully

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't trust anyone with a desk that tidy

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Why am I like this?

Are you literally using spinning disks in tyol2023?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm just so fascinated by several elements of this:

are you eating your computers

absolutely a boomer

what

e: is this the logan paul energy drink lmao

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Oh I thought that was a tape backup system. This dude is hardcore.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Auto Reverse takes me back...

Keep in mind I'm only 34, but I remember having a stereo with auto reverse in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had a Sony walkman with auto reverse. I dropped it one day and since then auto reverse would just play one side backwards. We spend way too much time listening to metal records to see if we could hear Satan