Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RealityWarCriminal posted:

dota still going strong after 20 years. there's a big saudi tournament this weekend. core gamers stay winning.

i was watchin a stream of this earlier and seeing the aramco and saudi investment bank logos overlaid on a dota game caused me to briefly dissociate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
last night i was playing sea of thieves and some guy with ship named СЛАВА УКРАИНЕ [sic] started shooting at me from 500m away, hitting every single shot directly on my cannon in spite of the 10+ second cannonball flight time. despite this, i almost sunk the guy because he was supremely bad at managing his boat

in conclusion, NAFOs are so bad they have to cheat in casual pirate games lmao

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyone f or battlebits?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frog Act posted:

:same: and in many ways GTA3 dialed up that X-Wing on a beige Mac being insanely impressive feeling of innovation to a thousand. it’s kinda sad to think that particular kind of fundamental transition to a more open or powerful medium is unlikely to happen again, VR was the last frontier and it’s hardly vital

Yeah, the one kind of distinct generational experience to people in a certain age range is having the transition from 8-bit to fancy 3d games happen over the course of one's childhood. I guess it would apply, to varying degrees, to people born between like 1980 and 1990 or so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i tried to like GTA3, but i played so much multiplayer gta2 that it just didn't land lol

haven't touched a gta since

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
GTA 3 was pretty remarkable but for me, maybe because of the age I was, I don't think I remember being blown away by a game like I was with ultima online

I'm not sure if I would have felt that way as an adult though, especially now when I can see how little there actually was to the content compared to what I imagined there to be as a kid

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I dont think San Andreas will ever be dethroned as the best GTA. 3 cities in one game and a ton of wilderness and smaller towns inbetween, the perfect map

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I dont think San Andreas will ever be dethroned as the best GTA. 3 cities in one game and a ton of wilderness and smaller towns inbetween, the perfect map

yeah as much as i like vice city theres so much going on in san andreas, and it was the last time they were really willing to throw it all at a gta game. i also loved buying businesses and getting sidequests and eventually free money but they gave up on that in their games too

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
at some point they were working on gta3:sa in vr and if theyd accomplished that i would have ascended into the metaverse. i think they abandoned that project though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sleeping dogs is the best gta game.

don't @ me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

youre right

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Schmoe Cwead posted:

gta games are for causing as much destruction as possible before u get arrested or killed

nothing more nothing less

In GTA4 the police AI would just walk into a fatal funnel you could set up in a hallway and you could just grind them up all day.

drat horror queefs posted:

Running over several pedestrians = one star

Expressing support for Cuba = two stars, shoot on sight

Putting a dress on your male pc = five stars, SWAT helicopters and tanks en route

See above :getin:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

sleeping dogs is great but saints row 2 slightly edges it out imo

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

this is completely uncontroversial

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

As a kid (pre-PS2) I remember thinking that the coolest thing in the world conceptually was the idea of "free flight" in a video game. I thought it was completely amazing when you could fly around when turning into the bee in Banjo Kazooie. The first time I played X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter on my family's new computer was also completely amazing to me for the same reason.

This is only slightly related, but thinking of the N64 reminded me of one of my favorite and most-played games on it - Diddy Kong Racing. I remember thinking it was *way* better than Mario Kart (and I was correct to think this).

i got sooo fuckin stoked when i found the small airplane in gta3 and thought i would be able to fly all over the map. Little did i know that since 9/11 happened right before release, Rockstar literally clipped the wings so that players couldnt crash it into the buildings

it was like my own personal 9/11

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i then spent a bunch of time glitching the airplane by tilting the nose down during takeoff, which would launch it into the sky, allowing me to glide the plane for a little while before crashing

i eventually learned that the tank was the best airplane since you could turn the turret around and use the gun to propel yourself through the skies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

John Charity Spring posted:

this is completely uncontroversial

maybe but everyone constantly talks about GTA 5, vice, 4, tommy, san andreas, whatever non-stop like they're a disney star wars that dominants all pop culture discourse non-stop. rarely hear anyone talk about how good sleeping dogs is

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sleeping dogs is significantly better than it has any right to be, considering its development history

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Vice city is the best because it has the best soundtrack followed by vice city stories

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say I tried revisiting Vice City recently because it was cheap on Steam and I saw a speedrun of it, and it didn't hold up to my memories in writing or gameplay, but its radio was top-notch

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
sleeping dogs owned, very enjoyable game. the tf2 collab they did with that awesome looking hong kong map was fun as well

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I spent so much time going into the area 51 knockoff for an instant 5 stars and trying to stay alive as long as possible that it broke my ps2

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Xaris posted:

maybe but everyone constantly talks about GTA 5, vice, 4, tommy, san andreas, whatever non-stop like they're a disney star wars that dominants all pop culture discourse non-stop. rarely hear anyone talk about how good sleeping dogs is

That's because most people have taste for poo poo, op.

(also the plot of sleeping dogs is a bit of a mess but it's still better than any GTA game made to-date)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

True

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

https://youtu.be/CLu0obvPao0

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Xaris posted:

don't @ me

they did something unthinkable and added fun to the GTA formula

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lucy Liu ftw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i dont think ive ever heard people talk about a gta game release except for 3 when i talked to my friend about it after we conned a parent into renting it for us

who is having all the gta discourse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont think ive ever heard people talk about a gta game release except for 3 when i talked to my friend about it after we conned a parent into renting it for us

who is having all the gta discourse

a buddy and me pooled our money and bought a copy of gta3 at gamespot, intending to burn the disks and return the box for cash the next day. apparently if a game was opened then you could only return it for store credit, lol

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

just wait for gta6 to drop im sure it will have enough discourse to last a lifetime

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gonna prewrite a kotaku article about how GTA6 is problematic cause of ______ and just have a bunch of blanks to fill in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

there hasn't been a new GTA to have discourse about in ten literal years

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

In GTA4 the police AI would just walk into a fatal funnel you could set up in a hallway and you could just grind them up all day.

See above :getin:

GTA 3 there was a spot right off the entrance to a bridge on an island in a park where if you got 3 stars and then just camped there, cop cars would launch themselves off the ramp and crash into the water and explode. There was an assault rifle drop on the island so you could just stay there and farm forever.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GTAO is just a fail version of SA-MP too lol. better arcade driving in samp too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my dad bought me GTA3 the day it launched on the condition that I not kill any prostitutes. he’d spot check when we were playing to make sure there was no violence against sex workers happening and while he’d make distasteful sounds about everything else he never forbade anything and even bought me state of emergency shortly afterwards. the guy at EBgames tried to tell him they weren’t appropriate for a 13 year old and he waved them off. in retrospect that owned

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkrFnPiJZo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frog Act posted:

my dad bought me GTA3 the day it launched on the condition that I not kill any prostitutes. he’d spot check when we were playing to make sure there was no violence against sex workers happening and while he’d make distasteful sounds about everything else he never forbade anything and even bought me state of emergency shortly afterwards. the guy at EBgames tried to tell him they weren’t appropriate for a 13 year old and he waved them off. in retrospect that owned

:hmmyes: based dad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

a buddy and me pooled our money and bought a copy of gta3 at gamespot, intending to burn the disks and return the box for cash the next day. apparently if a game was opened then you could only return it for store credit, lol

that's actually a speedrun banking strat before you can get a real one as a kid. gta being a friends teaming up to acquire game kind of game is cool though

missing a lot of context and word here. i think the first game my dad bought was mortal combat. and it was for me. but he thought it was cool and we played it together. just once though. dads seem to love playing a game one time and be real into it and then they forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the first edition of OPM I got was a huge feature about Vice City. got the game shortly after that and man, it ruled being an early teenager for a while.