Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Huh. I'm curious if this is like, another alt universe or if this is an origin story for the original. I'm curious because there are shots of Simon and Marceline in that trailer, specifically Simon with white eyes so he's starting to transform.

I think it’s set after the end of Adventure Time, because he has graying hair. It sure looks like some kind of multiverse poo poo. I sure hope Simon gets to go home to his friends at the end and isn’t trapped in the genderswap world with nobody knowing what happened to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

So is it primarily a Batman themed comedy series or is there more to it than that?

Yeah, basically. But it has serialized storytelling and is very acerbic/tongue-in-check with its characterization, references and pop culture stuff. A lot of people compare it to Venture Brothers, but the writing isn't nearly as tight.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Larryb posted:

So is it primarily a Batman themed comedy series or is there more to it than that?

It’s almost Batman: Lower Decks, if Lower Decks was gratuitously violent. It’s mostly Batman comedy but it does it by lampshading stuff existing setting stuff like “hey all these old rich guys in Gotham that Bruce loves to pal around with? They’re all loving awful because they’re old rich guys” or “Dr. Psycho is a really stupid name for a villain” or “somebody’s gotta build all of Joker’s lairs, and he doesn’t have better luck with contractors than anyone else”. It’s also weirdly wholesome for a violent, bloody show about supervillains. Lots of getting out of abusive relationships and dealing with personal issues and stuff like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arcsech posted:

It’s almost Batman: Lower Decks, if Lower Decks was gratuitously violent. It’s mostly Batman comedy but it does it by lampshading stuff existing setting stuff like “hey all these old rich guys in Gotham that Bruce loves to pal around with? They’re all loving awful because they’re old rich guys” or “Dr. Psycho is a really stupid name for a villain” or “somebody’s gotta build all of Joker’s lairs, and he doesn’t have better luck with contractors than anyone else”. It’s also weirdly wholesome for a violent, bloody show about supervillains. Lots of getting out of abusive relationships and dealing with personal issues and stuff like that.

Good enough for me, I’ll give it a shot then

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also has Kite Man who is the best.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Harley Quinn gives the superhero genre the correct amount of reverence and tone it deserves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, it looks like another show focusing on quirky young adults dealing with the ennui of adult life in a quirky city. My first reaction was "aren't there like a million of these?" But I guess the peak of that was like over a decade ago, and most of the things in that kind of niche have died out, so I guess there's a bit of a void for it to fill? It very much seems like it's trying to evoke the vibe of all those things. I guess I hope it's self aware about it?

It very much does not look like it captures the feeling of the original Adventure Time, don't think I'll like what it is much either.

The impression I got was that the ennui in the city was the initial setup, and then Fionna switches over to the magical world. Presumably something to do with Prismo given the shots at the end of the trailer.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it’s set after the end of Adventure Time, because he has graying hair. It sure looks like some kind of multiverse poo poo. I sure hope Simon gets to go home to his friends at the end and isn’t trapped in the genderswap world with nobody knowing what happened to him.

There's a brief shot with adult Finn holding up Simon on the end of a rope as he climbs a cliff...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it reminds me of Bee and Puppycat and that's kind of fitting given that the characters were originally created by Natasha Allegri

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Neeksy posted:

I think Harley Quinn gives the superhero genre the correct amount of reverence and tone it deserves.

I love the sequence midway through season 1 where Harley moves the goalposts and recontextualises her backstory, giving her true origin not as when Harleen Quinzel PhD jumped into the vat of chemicals, but when she finally decided to leave the Joker for good. "You can't do this! These aren't Eternal Sunshine rules!" "My mind, my rules..."

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Larryb posted:

Nice, this finally has a release date. Do we know how much if any of the original Adventure Time staff is involved with this?

Adam Muto is still showrunner, Hanna K Nystrom (a prominent storyboard artist from seasons 7 onward) appears to be playing a similar role that she did back in Distant Lands (i.e. storyboard artist and involved in development/part of the writers room), and Jack Pendarvis (story editor during the Muto seasons of the OG show and Distant Lands) is apparently also confirmed. Notably there's one OG show crew member that was absent from Distant Lands that's confirmed to be involved; prominent middle-to-later seasons storyboard artist Steve Wolfhard is one of the directors (he had been busy working at Disney on Amphibia during Distant Lands' production)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think Natasha Allegri herself is involved but she also was probably busy with the Bee & Puppycat Netflix adaptation while this was going into development

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I love the sequence midway through season 1 where Harley moves the goalposts and recontextualises her backstory, giving her true origin not as when Harleen Quinzel PhD jumped into the vat of chemicals, but when she finally decided to leave the Joker for good. "You can't do this! These aren't Eternal Sunshine rules!" "My mind, my rules..."

You know, on thought I kinda realise how brilliant that is because Birds of Prey (underrated af movie imo) does the same thing: the new origin story for Harley is also when she leaves the Joker- and in this case, blowing up Ace Chemicals to destroy the site of her old 'origin story' just got good measure- is also the start of the show (or movie) and the beginning of this story. Redefining herself by that isn't just valid, it's accurate to the medium she's currently in!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And in the latest My Adventures episode Lois has already figured out Clark’s secret and she’s not happy about it

In regards to Fiona & Cake, I noticed the crown in the trailer but hopefully they don't bring Ice King back considering everything Simon went through last time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 21, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

And in the latest My Adventures episode Lois has already figured out Clark’s secret and she’s not happy about it

In regards to Fiona & Cake, I noticed the crown in the trailer but hopefully they don't bring Ice King back considering everything Simon went through last time

I liked that Ivo was clearly cast as a knockoff Tony Stark, with Lex clearly the actual brains of the operation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That episode of Superman was kinda crap, ngl.

Thinking a lot about the random bloom(?) effect in the stairwell scene and I don't know whether I liked it or not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The latest episode also introduces us to someone who could potentially be our new Lex

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's just Seto Kaiba.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The latest episode also introduces us to someone who could potentially be our new Lex

Pidge is still bitter about the way Voltron ended, huh? :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Pidge is still bitter about the way Voltron ended, huh? :v:

At least she wasn't sent back to be a farmer despite a life ambition to be a pilot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We also see him helping in active supervillainy which he seems to enjoy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ivo also looks like his comic self now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he’s just spinning some beats at the club there. Maybe doing a wedding or corporate event.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Biker Mice From Mars is apparently getting a revival:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/ryan-reynolds-biker-mice-from-mars-animated-series-nacelle-1235443667/

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yunno i was wondering if/when we were gonna get a wave of revivals of the TMNT knockoffs like Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs and C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa, but that wouldn't have been my first pick

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

There’s also the fact his name is Alex (Luthor’s full name is Alexander Luthor). Ivo usually works for him as opposed to the other way around though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 21, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

because studios would rather fund an IP revival than try making a new IP. (Also creators probably know this so they try to trick shoot it the best they can?)

also why Reynolds in everything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm still surprised when I hear that Biker Mice from Mars had a show to begin with in the first place. I had a couple of the toys and I thought they were kinda neat, but how the gently caress does any of that work in an actual show? One of them has a baseball-bat launcher? Another has some kind of robot claw device for holding a basketball?

Like it's clearly just another riff on the idea of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but how do you put a story in there? At least the Streetsharks clearly had some extra-mean looking sharks to be villains.

Junpei posted:

C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa

what the gently caress did you say to me

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe his hair wouldnt get burned off if he didnt have it soo puffy and filled with product.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anime rear end designs. I love it.
Waiting for the Supes inazuma/rider kick and for Lois to do the Kaneda Slide.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That's a Lex Luthor that found the Death Note if ever I've seen one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Anime rear end designs. I love it.
Waiting for the Supes inazuma/rider kick and for Lois to do the Kaneda Slide.

What’s the top image from?

Also seeing Lois punch him out was nice too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

What’s the top image from?

A teasing girl anime, link to the trailer.

basically a shy awkward art nerd dude and an athletic mean girl who are too dumb to come out and say "I like you let's go on a date" stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqa0NmxY-Q

I like it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ya know, I'm not really excited for the Tiny Toons reboot, but drat if they didn't just knock it out of the park with that theme song all those years ago and it's still great now

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am told when it leans into the relationship stuff, it's charming, but when it's just the girl bullying the guy it's mostly odd fetish material.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

Motherfucker this is at least 3 yugioh rivals put in a blender

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad the anime glasses thing is starting to spill over into western media

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it sort of shows how we've gone from shows being made to look vaguely anime-ish purely because some executive decided that that's what kids like to just everyone in the animation industry having grown up watching anime so things from anime just naturally end up in american cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mystes posted:

I think it sort of shows how we've gone from shows being made to look vaguely anime-ish purely because some executive decided that that's what kids like to just everyone in the animation industry having grown up watching anime so things from anime just naturally end up in american cartoons

Yeah it was starting to show I wanna say around when Steven Universe started, but at this point the overlap between animator and anime nerd is just a circle.