Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i play vc as endless zombie shitstacks led by really great caster. even after all the nerfs lore of vampires is still basically the best lore in the game, altho nowadays it competes w a few others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think the ability to raise dead models pushes it to the top. There is healing, then there's vc healing. And if lore of vamps somehow isn't good enough, you have access to lore of shadows for even more busted damage spells.

Ghorst has been my favorite lord since the jump, but after he got his glow up, zombie crap stacks are boring to me. It was fun for 4 years, but now you can't even get 0 upkeep zombies so I like armies that can function solo and have interesting micro. There's a surprising amount of depth in their roster despite not really having ranged units. Good tactics still make it easier to win when bad things happen like decreasing winds of magic, attrition, ambushes, enemy reinforcements. All zombies works fine, until it doesn't and then you'll wish you had fast movers, fliers, carts, etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think lore of vampire is the strongest magic because it has the strongest spells and the strongest healing and the strongest buffs and the strongest lords get access to it. The only downside to VC magic is that the VC roster generally isn't particularly great. Everything is relatively easily countered and I don't think any part of the VC roster punches above its respective tier without a vampire directly buffing them.

Maybe crypt horrors, but they're competing against trolls and rat ogres. Blood knights?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Blood knights really need healing to get value out of them, but they benefit amazingly from it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The SFO version of Blood Knights make them absolutely terrifying to deal with. I think they get The Hunger as a passive.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I think lore of vampire is the strongest magic because it has the strongest spells and the strongest healing and the strongest buffs and the strongest lords get access to it. The only downside to VC magic is that the VC roster generally isn't particularly great. Everything is relatively easily countered and I don't think any part of the VC roster punches above its respective tier without a vampire directly buffing them.

Maybe crypt horrors, but they're competing against trolls and rat ogres. Blood knights?

in tabletop VC's are designed around Vampire lords being ridic blenders. all their troops basically expect vanhel's danse macabre, but it's cheap and triggers the passive. I think Vamps and TK's should be non-stop casting cheap spells because the passive really does make a huge difference in staying power

you do get to do silly stuff with vampires later in the game or with just a few early points into their yellow lines. oh and you pretty much always want to be fighting in the woods, all the opponents large troops can't handle it and the enemy shooting is being negated

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

The SFO version of Blood Knights make them absolutely terrifying to deal with. I think they get The Hunger as a passive.

all vampire troops get regen. Blood Knights, Vargheists and Vargulfs have the hunger in the base game too

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Yeah they did a good job making the Vampire armies really center around the Vampires themselves while the rest of the army is generally just there. Heroes too

Isabella's army and her buffs to bats/dogs aside, nothing in their roster truly stands out without that healing/support. Maybe mortis engines, and vargheists/blood dragons are also quite good, but they need their heroes in a way other races don't. It's pretty cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they nailed VCs, because it sure does feel like you're fighting zombie hordes and undead beasties and stuff and it's mostly about positioning and maximizing killing large amounts of lovely troops. Then you fight the vampire and you're like "gently caress" because it can, and will, defeat 500 of your best soldiers in melee combat. You need to dedicate an entire unit to just the vampire. Hopefully you have a good lord who can avoid dying to the Vampire for a little bit. And if you have a lord that can defeat Vlad in single combat, you're probably playing Grimgor or you have the Sword of Khaine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every time i repeat: shoot the poo poo out of vlad. it doesnt work as good as on something w a big rear end mount but it works

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

in tabletop VC's are designed around Vampire lords being ridic blenders. all their troops basically expect vanhel's danse macabre, but it's cheap and triggers the passive. I think Vamps and TK's should be non-stop casting cheap spells because the passive really does make a huge difference in staying power

you do get to do silly stuff with vampires later in the game or with just a few early points into their yellow lines. oh and you pretty much always want to be fighting in the woods, all the opponents large troops can't handle it and the enemy shooting is being negated

VDM is insanely broken on dogs and it's wild more people don't do it.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
VC and dark elves are my favorite factions by far. I feel that both have units that punch way above their weight and look lovely from the outside but when used wisely they can produce great results

Take bats for example, BATS

If you just yeet them into enemy lines they will die quickly but if you draw out enemy lines and have the bats flank and tie up the slower units they’ll win fights for you

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 21, 2023

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

wet_goods posted:

VC and dark elves are my favorite factions by far. I feel that both have units that punch way above their weight and look lovely from the outside but when used wisely they can produce great results

Take bats for example, BATS

If you just yeet them into enemy lines they will die quickly but if you draw out enemy lines and have the bats flank and tie up the slower units they’ll win fights for you

The amount of fights I've won by isolating a unit and then just cycle charging bats/dogs is absurd. I actually go the beast tree now right after I've gotten zombies tuned up a bit because that AP add is huge it turns out and easily pushes dog/bat utility into midgame

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
As Akhan the Black the fellbats with increased stats were the MVP unit in the armies because anything they landed on that wasn't heavily armored would evaporate in seconds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was always partial to Isabella with a shitload of bats and a cohort of vampires on nightmares. Very nasty and cost effective.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Black Knights seem to be way, way more effective than their stats would suggest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
their mass fucks and their animation fucks

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TaintedBalance posted:

VDM is insanely broken on dogs and it's wild more people don't do it.

that spell on both bats and dogs is crazy. they have a pretty fast attack speed then make them hyper accurate :getin:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Black Knights seem to be way, way more effective than their stats would suggest.

If you're talking about the ones with lances that charge bonus is bananas for cost.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I meant the standard ones but yes that too

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I think ghouls and crypt horrors are pretty bad unless led by a ghoul lord (I think the unlocked one had additional talents to buff them as well) but in general the vc roster is no joke.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What, exactly, is the VC gameplan against Harry however?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crypt horrors make a real mess of basic infantry fwiw

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Zerg rush

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lords heroes and sem

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Vampire with Lore of Death for Spirit Leech would
help. I'm not sure I've seen a chaos army running around with him yet tho

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
You bastards made me start a new vc campaign

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Isabella 100% makes bats and dogs endgame units. If you can get a Razor Standard on them too it gets stupid.

wet_goods posted:

I think ghouls and crypt horrors are pretty bad unless led by a ghoul lord (I think the unlocked one had additional talents to buff them as well) but in general the vc roster is no joke.
Even led by a strigoi lord they aren't great. They are decent in the very early game as hammers, especially crypt horrors who stay cost-effective for awhile, but ghouls fall off pretty quickly.

Harry should probably be bogged down by constant zombies/summons until the army is routed and you can chain-charge him down with all your heroes and lords at once. In the meantime you can toss some Spirit Leeches at him.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 21, 2023

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kemmler update: After an off-turn series of 3 battles (Reikland, Couronne, Grom) where Zomball Triumphed (including a heroic victory with 0 casualties against an empire army that shot more of its guys in the back than even my Mortis ground down), I got 2 offers for peace and no visible Empire armies on my screen. Loeun bought me off (I got his trait on Kemmler for cheaper cav and he'll probably die to big Bel from Albion soon enough) but Grom, Grom's gonna be good eating for awhile now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Kemmler update: After an off-turn series of 3 battles (Reikland, Couronne, Grom) where Zomball Triumphed (including a heroic victory with 0 casualties against an empire army that shot more of its guys in the back than even my Mortis ground down), I got 2 offers for peace and no visible Empire armies on my screen. Loeun bought me off (I got his trait on Kemmler for cheaper cav and he'll probably die to big Bel from Albion soon enough) but Grom, Grom's gonna be good eating for awhile now.

glad you stuck it out. Vampires can feel like you aren't gaining ground until you get a few levels and start dunking

if you want a little cheese you should take a cheap zombie stack along to a big battle and let them all die. along with wiping the enemy forces there should be enough casualties for a pretty sick raise dead pile. not really necessary but it does give you a dedicated recruitment zone

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Do battle sites last forever at the same strength?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

glad you stuck it out. Vampires can feel like you aren't gaining ground until you get a few levels and start dunking

if you want a little cheese you should take a cheap zombie stack along to a big battle and let them all die. along with wiping the enemy forces there should be enough casualties for a pretty sick raise dead pile. not really necessary but it does give you a dedicated recruitment zone

Protip to people who don't VC much, the growth line is loving insane for them. Not for building faster, which requires more income faster and can be really hard to chase unless you're good enough to earn via beating every fight. But, because the +1 recruit to Necro heroes. Once you can recruit heroes that can immediately grab winds of death, everything changes.

That spell is the biggest step function change in total war. The ball changes from a 30 minute grind to 5 minutes. Your armies are fully restored by the time you get into your next fight. Everything is healing all the time. You've got five times the punching force because all your backup stacks are now main stacks. It's such an insane jump in power, and they have multiple paths to get here. Vamp and Necro and Bloodline lords, Necro heroes, and vamp heroes while lacking WoD, can still bring the loving pain by being terrifying melee units that have access to Shadow and some very good traits.

Double protip: get unbreakable on a leveled and geared vampire and watch unspeakable slaughter. They really are killing machines.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zombies aren't really there to do health damage, they're there to do fatigue damage. You can drop pit of shades and wind of death on enemies until they run out of vigor and then charge some fresh decent troops into their backs.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
It would be neat if vamps had a specific set of super fast attack animations like they're out of True Blood imo

Wouldn't have to be high frequency, just the animation itself should be supernaturally fast instead of regular humanoid lord

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Let Vlad transform into a swarm of bats so he can blink across the battlefield faster than any mounted lord/hero can run.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

wiegieman posted:

Zombies aren't really there to do health damage, they're there to do fatigue damage. You can drop pit of shades and wind of death on enemies until they run out of vigor and then charge some fresh decent troops into their backs.

it is amazing that so many people don't understand the value or term tarpit units

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Do battle sites last forever at the same strength?

basically yes, they do need to replenish when you drain them of units but it doesn't take too long

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every time i repeat: shoot the poo poo out of vlad. it doesnt work as good as on something w a big rear end mount but it works

Fond memories of baiting vlad + isabella to gelts handgunner lines.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

TaintedBalance posted:

Protip to people who don't VC much, the growth line is loving insane for them. Not for building faster, which requires more income faster and can be really hard to chase unless you're good enough to earn via beating every fight. But, because the +1 recruit to Necro heroes. Once you can recruit heroes that can immediately grab winds of death, everything changes.

That spell is the biggest step function change in total war. The ball changes from a 30 minute grind to 5 minutes. Your armies are fully restored by the time you get into your next fight. Everything is healing all the time. You've got five times the punching force because all your backup stacks are now main stacks. It's such an insane jump in power, and they have multiple paths to get here. Vamp and Necro and Bloodline lords, Necro heroes, and vamp heroes while lacking WoD, can still bring the loving pain by being terrifying melee units that have access to Shadow and some very good traits.

Double protip: get unbreakable on a leveled and geared vampire and watch unspeakable slaughter. They really are killing machines.

you can also easily stack good hero traits if you're up for it. just watch out for non-functional traits (for example, +movement traits on heroes don't actually work on armies, though +movement skills do but only from one hero).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ErKeL posted:

Let Vlad transform into a swarm of bats so he can blink across the battlefield faster than any mounted lord/hero can run.

No lord has that ability and it sure as hell shouldn't go on a lord who is already such a complete pain the rear end to kill.