Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I mainly use Discogs to document what I have and what I want. I'll be sad if it goes away, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I mainly use Discogs to document what I have and what I want. I'll be sad if it goes away, though.

That's pretty much all I've used it for since I started buying records, keeping track of what I have so I don't get lost on eBay while high and thinking "Oh man I want that album" and already having a copy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

joylessdivision posted:

That's pretty much all I've used it for since I started buying records, keeping track of what I have so I don't get lost on eBay while high and thinking "Oh man I want that album" and already having a copy.

I mean, I also use it to look at my collection and pat myself on the back for having a 'high' value of $35k, knowing full well that is bullshit and I'm at maybe a quarter of that on a good day :v:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CornHolio posted:

Yeah same I've bought a couple things but have enough local shops available it's more of a hassle, really

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I mean, I also use it to look at my collection and pat myself on the back for having a 'high' value of $35k, knowing full well that is bullshit and I'm at maybe a quarter of that on a good day :v:

Ayyyyye, your collection is worth more than mine (9k at the high end) but also I don't put much weight behind Discogs telling me how much my poo poo is worth other than its cool seeing number go up occasionally.

Really though it's a life saver to be able to just open the app, look at my collection and be able to say "Oh no, I already have Number of the Beast don't need to order this copy I just found".

Don't smoke weed and buy records kids. Or do! I'm not your parents.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 17, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If you get high and buy records you might get pretty lucky with NIN album prices (still paid more than I really wanted to for With Teeth) and also grab some Tatsuro Yamashita albums before they go out of stock (I think more are coming in October but not in the west).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I am lucky enough to have a stellar record shop very close to my house (that I spend way too much money at lol)

https://www.lastvestige.com/

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

haljordan posted:

I am lucky enough to have a stellar record shop very close to my house (that I spend way too much money at lol)

https://www.lastvestige.com/
Been going to Last Vestige for over twenty years; It's such a solid shop that I use it to judge other shops: good prices, no gouging, quality stuff (even in the $3 crates), quick turnover of stock, knowledgeable dudes behind the counter, and a friendly old cat whose name I can never remember.

In other news, I did okay thrift store crate digging while vacationing in Cape Cod:

Sorry for the potato-quality photo. The top right is Neil Young, Hawks and Doves

Edit: I don't buy much from discogs, but constantly use it as double-dip prevention app. Losing the service would suck.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 18, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Hell yeah, always nice to come across another Capital Region goon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tweet deleted so just bullshit?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

Tweet deleted so just bullshit?

I reproduced the thread on the last page here :)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

I reproduced the thread on the last page here :)

Ok I read it and yeah there are some valid issues for sure but I think it’s chicken little-ing the site’s overall demise. Also weirdly hostile towards VMP which has nothing to do with discogs (and isn’t nearly the disaster the guy claims it is)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Also weirdly hostile towards VMP which has nothing to do with discogs

He says in the second tweet that their new COO (he misspoke and said CEO but whatever) is from VMP

https://www.billboard.com/pro/discogs-new-coo-iheartmedia-business-affairs-evp/

quote:

Lloyd Starr has been appointed COO at Discogs, the recorded music database, marketplace and community, effective May 1. He joins the company from vinyl subscription service Vinyl Me, Please; prior to that, he served as president/COO at digital electronic music marketplace Beatport.

In his new role, Starr will oversee Discogs’ day-to-day operations, with a focus on driving growth and innovation. He will work closely with CEO Kevin Lewandowski and the rest of the executive team to develop and implement Discogs’ strategic direction.

His thesis is that Starr is running the site into the ground.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Ok I read it and yeah there are some valid issues for sure but I think it’s chicken little-ing the site’s overall demise. Also weirdly hostile towards VMP which has nothing to do with discogs (and isn’t nearly the disaster the guy claims it is)

Yeah. I don't think this is the end of discogs but as mentioned a lot of shops use it as a price guide so with the new policies prices will probably go up. I don't generally buy stuff discogs anymore as used records are such a crapshoot. It is a very handy tool that has prevented me from double dipping and it has a want list feature that I use while shopping. Funny, I was just talking to my wife about giving her the discogs password so she would have a general idea of what to sell my stuff for if I were to suddenly exit this mortal coil. She joked? that she was just gonna put them out for a quarter a piece lol.

As far as the VMP stuff goes they have fallen off as a service. Once they shut down their forums it started going downhill. I've heard they cut their customer service back and quality control has been a problem all while raising prices (what are they at now? $45 a record?) Taking bigger chunks of revenue from sellers on discogs while not improving any of the problems with the site seems in line with how VMP is being run. I pretty much stopped selling on ebay when they started dipping into the shipping fees.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mail day! been listening to this (and other versions) nonstop lately, excited to spin this

also if anyone wants a download of it (i already got the d/l thru bandcamp)

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
Just scooped up the Animals As Leaders reissue of "The Joy Of Motion". I'm not big on metal records but this one sounds great plus I'm always game to support AAL.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aesop Rock keeps putting out new instrumental versions of albums (this time it’s Skelethon), and I keep on preordering them.

I almost got the vocal version because it came with a bonus record, but I already have that on vinyl, it was too expensive to rebuy, and the bonus record is a picture disk. Maybe I can get those bonus tracks on Bandcamp or something later.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sup vinyl friends, I haven't posted any of the stuff I got recently so I thought I'd share

BOLT THROWER!

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 21, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just got Mirrowball, Sarah McLachlan's live album in the mail. That album got me through high school.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Put some Mike Kinsella orders in today:

American Football - American Football (aka LP1)
Owen - No Good For No One Now
Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolothology

Also went to Sad Summer Fest on Tuesday and got Hot Mulligan's You'll Be Fine

And I have Bright Eyes - Digital Ash In A Digital Urn already on its way

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:swoon:

https://twitter.com/manawavemedia/status/1681333016516345857

A sample of how the restoration sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBlq0YExmM

(and you can listen to the full playlist here.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

Sup vinyl friends, I haven't posted any of the stuff I got recently so I thought I'd share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecy2NFSxPjU

Edit: These are two recordings of the Paul Shaffer band playing on the Late Show, one without horns (1993) and one with (1995). From the description:

quote:

Two performances of The Police's classic recording that were heard during the commercial breaks on David Letterman's Late Show in 1993 and 1995.

The first is from September 9, 1993 (Late Show #9), when keyboard legend Bernie Worrell was part of the band and before he was succeeded a few months later by Tom Malone (trombone) and Bruce Kapler (saxophone).

The second is from August 7, 1995 (LS #430), with Tom and Bruce. Kenny Aronoff is on drums, subbing that night for Anton Fig.

In both performances are Paul Shaffer (keyboards), Sid McGinnis and Felicia Collins (guitars), and Will Lee (bass).

The visuals come from footage unrelated to the "Synchronicity I" performances. The first is from 1993 with Bernie Worrell, and the second from 2000 with Tom Malone, Bruce Kapler, and Al Chez (trumpet), who wasn't yet in the band during the 1995 rendition.

The audio is from when they played during commercials, the video is clean footage from extended credit rolls (without the credits, obviously)

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 21, 2023

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my copy of Speak Now taylor's version. I'll report back later on if it's the cursed version or not*

*it's cursed becausea bunch of them accidentally had Happy Land: A Compendium of Electronic Music from the British Isles 1992-1996 (Vol 1) pressed on them

edit:plain old regular taylor's version

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 21, 2023

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Hey yall, this is exciting so I had to share. For fans of heady synth tunes, boards of canada, aphex twin etc, christ. is reissuing Blue Shift Emissions for the first time since 2007. Second hand copies of the original pressing have been selling for around $100 on discogs so this is a good chance to get a fresh new copy cheap(er). :cheers:

https://ambidextrousrecords.bandcamp.com/album/blue-shift-emissions-remastered

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 21, 2023

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I finally made it back to Torn Light records in Cincinnati last evening and picked these up.

My first exposure to Michael Rother was on a William Tyler EP that has a fantastic cover of Karussell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUORrR7Lh5c

And I only recently found out via WFMU that Rother was one of the original members of Kraftwerk, Neu!, and Harmonia. The William Tyler live album above has an interesting cover of Kraftwerks Radioactivity.

After the record shop I went down to the Esquire Theatre and caught a screening of The Elephant 6 Recording Co documentary coming out soon. Highly recommend it if you're into Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo, etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Definitely going to have to pick up those Secret of Mana and Christ. releases.

I have a few picture albums that came in clear plastic sleeves. Is there an option people recommend that I could look into to get some actual jackets made for those? I'd really prefer not having them in that style of sleeve if anything just because I can't see which albums they are while on my shelf so I was hoping I could get something custom.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Don’t know if anybody is still on the IDIB train at this point but another one of their artists is speaking out about not getting paid properly. Assuming she’s no longer associated with the label, guessing she’s under an nda or something, but the situation stinks like poo poo. She is trying to crowdfund for medical care or something, pretty grim.

Anyway I post that to say, don’t buy anything from IDIB, the artists on their label not named Johnny Jewel or Desire are getting hosed. drat near half of my posts in this thread are about chromatics LPs I bought so I’m very bummed

pwn
May 27, 2004

I will forever treasure my stack of wax, cds, and various newsprint promo posters

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awwww yah, just got Neptunian Maximalism's Eons in the mail after a two month delay. :okpos:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Got my last of the SOV free with shipping records two days ago, just about a month after my final order was placed. Never got a single email afterward about anything of them outside of promo stuff, so if you’re still waiting don’t give up yet.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

On a lark, I bought a box of 400 singles from a garage sale yesterday for $10.

It's all 60s-70s pop music, and entirely the collection of the older woman running the garage sale, judging by the markings on them. Condition is all over the place, but most are in rough shape. I decided to enter them into discogs as I was going through the pile, just to familiarize myself with 45 values. What I learned is that 45s from this era aren't worth a poo poo if they're anything popular. It's kind of the opposite of how LPs have appreciated in value. There's actually lots of 45s in here that I love, so I'm very pleased with the purchase, but looking up values also reaffirmed my usual philosophy of "don't buy 45s".

Out of the 393 records, only 10 of them had a median discogs value above $7.50. You can see them below:

80% had a median value of <$3.

There was one standout among all the records. It's a 60s garage band called The Statesmen. Discogs lists the last (and only) sale as $175. Popsike shows it selling anywhere between $60 and $200. Mine has a fair amount of surface noise and wouldn't be worth anything close to that, but still a nice find.

I was also able to flesh out my Beatles/solo Beatles collection:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Apologies if this has already been posted but I fell way behind on the thread. Anyway, the next Third Man Vault release is all three Syd Barrett albums. I'm taking a wild guess and saying they probably aren't sourced from tapes because the thing I saw about it doesn't mention anything about it.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Man, as much of a massive Pink Floyd fan that I was, Sud’s solo work is… challenging. I rather enjoyed Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but after that, it’s hard to listen to his descent into madness.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My favorite "obscure" 60s group is Bob Kuban and the In Men. I first learned about them via watching some true crime doc on TV back in high school, one of the band members got murdered by his wife's new guy.

The Cheater is their big hit, but there's some other good 'uns on that album.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

There's actually lots of 45s in here that I love, so I'm very pleased with the purchase, but looking up values also reaffirmed my usual philosophy of "don't buy 45s".

Out of the 393 records, only 10 of them had a median discogs value above $7.50.

There was one standout among all the records. It's a 60s garage band called The Statesmen. Discogs lists the last (and only) sale as $175. Popsike shows it selling anywhere between $60 and $200. Mine has a fair amount of surface noise and wouldn't be worth anything close to that, but still a nice find.

That's been my experience with singles as well, plus my setup isn't very conductive to actually playing them. You beat out my most expensive accidentally acquired 45 which is a protest song called "Woman of the Ghetto" by Marlena Shaw. It's seems to range from $10 to $50, I keep it because it's cool. That, if Steppenwolf is anything to judge by, old protest/social issue music from the late 60s/70s doesn't sell very well anyways. But that could just be because it's Steppenwolf. :shrug:

Speaking of the late 60s I was unable to resist buying the latest Mort Garson compilation. It has some of his less moog centric work on it but still is all the funky psychedelic stuff you love him for.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Recieved a $200 Visa gift card via Optimum.

Guess what I'm spending it on. :smug:

wa27 posted:

On a lark, I bought a box of 400 singles from a garage sale yesterday for $10.

It's all 60s-70s pop music, and entirely the collection of the older woman running the garage sale, judging by the markings on them. Condition is all over the place, but most are in rough shape. I decided to enter them into discogs as I was going through the pile, just to familiarize myself with 45 values. What I learned is that 45s from this era aren't worth a poo poo if they're anything popular. It's kind of the opposite of how LPs have appreciated in value. There's actually lots of 45s in here that I love, so I'm very pleased with the purchase, but looking up values also reaffirmed my usual philosophy of "don't buy 45s".

Out of the 393 records, only 10 of them had a median discogs value above $7.50. You can see them below:

I was also able to flesh out my Beatles/solo Beatles collection:

Now the question is whether most of these are actually vinyl and not styrene.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bagina posted:

Man, as much of a massive Pink Floyd fan that I was, Sud’s solo work is… challenging. I rather enjoyed Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but after that, it’s hard to listen to his descent into madness.

I really like the Madcap Laughs. Opel really sounds like a dump of stuff they had laying around somewhere, which is what it is. But at any rate it's mice to know there will be a reissue of some quality, hopefully anyway but Third Man always does reissues with a lot of care. I suspect that they're going to later unbundle them and sell them as non-limited black vinyl discs as has been the case with a lot of Vault "exclusives".

Turbinosamente posted:

That's been my experience with singles as well, plus my setup isn't very conductive to actually playing them. You beat out my most expensive accidentally acquired 45 which is a protest song called "Woman of the Ghetto" by Marlena Shaw. It's seems to range from $10 to $50, I keep it because it's cool. That, if Steppenwolf is anything to judge by, old protest/social issue music from the late 60s/70s doesn't sell very well anyways. But that could just be because it's Steppenwolf. :shrug:

Speaking of the late 60s I was unable to resist buying the latest Mort Garson compilation. It has some of his less moog centric work on it but still is all the funky psychedelic stuff you love him for.

If you like Mort Garson check out Bruce Haack. Shimmy Disc just reissued one of them called Captain Entropy. Haack started out making really unusual children's music often with instruments of his own design and creation before moving towards more adult oriented material in his later career. His album Haackula was basically a middle finger to the music industry after having to deal with years and years of bullshit. It ruffled enough feathers that it remained unreleased for 20 years. It's a very angry album that should have been a classic.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

If you like Mort Garson check out Bruce Haack. Shimmy Disc just reissued one of them called Captain Entropy. Haack started out making really unusual children's music often with instruments of his own design and creation before moving towards more adult oriented material in his later career. His album Haackula was basically a middle finger to the music industry after having to deal with years and years of bullshit. It ruffled enough feathers that it remained unreleased for 20 years. It's a very angry album that should have been a classic.

Thanks, I wound up finding a bandcamp page and promptly got distracted by the album art for Electric Lucifer. The song Program Me in particular on it would go well with Computer Girl by The Sparks. So far this dude is in the intersection of Mort Garson, The BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and early Sparks and that's a good thing.

Dammit I didn't want to spend more money right now.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I really like the Madcap Laughs. Opel really sounds like a dump of stuff they had laying around somewhere, which is what it is. But at any rate it's mice to know there will be a reissue of some quality, hopefully anyway but Third Man always does reissues with a lot of care. I suspect that they're going to later unbundle them and sell them as non-limited black vinyl discs as has been the case with a lot of Vault "exclusives".

Just listened to Captain Entropy tonight. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

There is NO WAY that this can be legit, right?

EDIT: Link removed. This is some top tier bullshit.

bagina fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 25, 2023