Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Soggy Muffin posted:

I think micro plastics are more of a “gently caress you, eat this” to whatever comes after us. They are suspected to be behind our ever increasing infertility, which may be a blessing in disguise
well there's a lot of things they're expected to be behind, everything from smaller dicks, infertility of both sexists, rising obesity rates, 500%+ increase to asscancers in under 45-yr ages, various -isms, -ietys and -ions and other physio-neurological disorders. people who say "oh its just better diagnosing! end of history nothing has ever changed at all" to everything are just huffing raw unfiltered copium.,

and not just in humans but also insects, birds, plants, etc. some of the 80-95% drop in insect mass is probably due in part, though probably not as much as industrial pollutant, land-use changes, and climate-human fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Unless posted:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/150070/almerias-sea-of-greenhouses

Almería’s surface albedo increased by nearly 10 percent between 1983 and 2006 because of the high reflectivity of the greenhouses. They concluded this likely contributed to a cooling effect of 0.3°C (0.5°F) per decade in Almería compared to a 0.5°C increase per decade in the region.

Plastic balls will save us all yet.
They will also stop the hypercane.

Can I get a 30 day probe? This thread is great, the content addictive and the posters genuinely funny. But I'm spending too much time here. Thank you, please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

uguu posted:

But I'm spending too much time here. Thank you, please.

have you been outside?? it's a furnace and everyone is cosplaying michael douglas from Falling Down on their neighbors rn

stay inside where it's nice and cool. what freak would want to go outside at a time like this

i suggest you rescind immediately

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

which country will collapse first?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Came here to post this and lmfaooo

Context so this gets more love:

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1682089465890611213?s=20

lol

still gotta go to work tomorrow tho, so probably everything is fine

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Soggy Muffin posted:

I think micro plastics are more of a “gently caress you, eat this” to whatever comes after us. They are suspected to be behind our ever increasing infertility, which may be a blessing in disguise

That and PFAS, if they significantly lower human fertility they're basically holy substances

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Xaris posted:

have you been outside?? it's a furnace and everyone is cosplaying michael douglas from Falling Down on their neighbors rn

stay inside where it's nice and cool. what freak would want to go outside at a time like this

i suggest you rescind immediately

I went out and rode my bike today. It's a pleasant 70°f with a cool breeze off the water.
Coasting past the quarter mile of cars stopped at a light and then cruising through the intersection right as the light changed was fun too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

toggle posted:

Haiti and Somalia and a bunch others basically already have. Without outside support and aid they’d be a total blood bath. Haiti especially is rough right now, with citizens lynching thieves and gangsters in the street becoming a popular past time

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Soggy Muffin posted:

Haiti and Somalia and a bunch others basically already have. Without outside support and aid they’d be a total blood bath. Haiti especially is rough right now, with citizens lynching thieves and gangsters in the street becoming a popular past time

and i assume every country will eventually go the same way?

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

toggle posted:

and i assume every country will eventually go the same way?

No country will be alike, some may fare better as they slowly crumble, others may implode violently if there’s no functioning government or supply chain. Haiti has all of that as well as famine going on. Gangs are fighting in the power vacuum and regular people are fed up and lynching them in the streets. We can look at Haiti as an example of sudden collapse, but it could be a lot worse if grid goes down. Absolute chaos

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

biceps crimes posted:

but what if we dropped a bunch of tires and cinder blocks in the area after we mine it?

I don't know about cinder blocks, but we tried tires and it worked about as well as you think it would

https://www.projectbaselinegulfstream.com/the-osborne-tire-reef/

Doing an experiment on undersea mining was a good idea, but the results are in and it was an absolute disaster. My understanding is the potato sized nodules are a good source of the metals and minerals that are needed for batteries, but only the top few inches of the ocean floor are useful. In order to mine an amount that would matter it would mean disturbing an absolute massive area, and marine life is destroyed not only in the immediate mined area but also a significant distance away.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Soggy Muffin posted:

No country will be alike, some may fare better as they slowly crumble, others may implode violently if there’s no functioning government or supply chain. Haiti has all of that as well as famine going on. Gangs are fighting in the power vacuum and regular people are fed up and lynching them in the streets. We can look at Haiti as an example of sudden collapse, but it could be a lot worse if grid goes down. Absolute chaos

the entire white world has been trying to destroy haiti for 200 years. I wouldn't call lovely material conditions there sudden

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

In order to mine an amount that would matter it would mean disturbing an absolute massive area, and marine life is destroyed not only in the immediate mined area but also a significant distance away.

What is marine life going to do for me, the shareholder?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

What is marine life going to do for me, the shareholder?

don't be so shellfish :mad:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

gonna need a picture of the cat food and probably a replication experiment. cat food bleaching sounds pretty serious

randomly looked for some wild colored cat food and found some of the most chilling ad copy ive ever seen.

https://sensientfoodcolors.com/en-za/market-trends/three-ways-to-win-pet-owners-over-through-color/

lol i thought they were talking about dyed fish food

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

toggle posted:

Major countries? Bangladesh, maybe.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Shifty Nipples posted:

lol i thought they were talking about dyed fish food

i mean i guess some people just feed whatever food to whatever animal like there aren't rules so sure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Unless posted:

bonus update for the “economic activity occurs primarily indoors” crowd

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/20/climate/how-extreme-heat-affects-workers-and-the-economy.html

thats why working an easy job when its hot owns. 20% right off the top makes the day go faster

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

toggle posted:

ukraine

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

The Voice of Labor posted:

the entire white world has been trying to destroy haiti for 200 years. I wouldn't call lovely material conditions there sudden

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Dog Case posted:

I went out and rode my bike today. It's a pleasant 70°f with a cool breeze off the water.
Coasting past the quarter mile of cars stopped at a light and then cruising through the intersection right as the light changed was fun too

nice ride

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Guarantee you it's not going any higher than that. It can't.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
96 degrees today, heat index of 110, and I've been outside working in it all loving day. It's 10 at night here right now. Heat index is 96.

We historically do sometimes get this kind of heat here. But normally in August and never for weeks at a time. Productivity plummets. Can only go for about an hour before I need to sit down.

Danru
May 23, 2022

Honky Mao posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Honky Mao posted:

This is true. We are going into peak North Atlantic hurricane season. Season starts June 1 but doesn't really get going until August. These water temps will supercharge storms after they form. Between the conversation of heat energy into kinetic energy and the upwelling of cold deep water, it will significantly cool the surface.

See, the problem will take care of itself.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

toggle posted:

america

the higher they are

the harder they fall

they're exceptional after all

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Haha, first guy totally got taken for a ride by some contractor that just wanted to sell a new AC system. There's no way "it leaked everywhere" could be any kind of fatal problem that couldn't be solved for way less than $15k.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

haha this graph has crossed from mildly frightening to legitimately terrifying

lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cuttlefush posted:

lol imagine being the product of evolutionary algorithms. end up with backwards eyes or some poo poo because lol gently caress it it works next

"im, er, a normal radar"

We are the product of an evolutionary algorithm. It's why everybody's back hurts.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

quote:

A recently discovered ice core taken from beneath Greenland’s ice sheet decades ago has revealed that a large part of the country was ice-free around 400,000 years ago, when temperatures were similar to those the world is approaching now, according to a new report – an alarming finding that could have disastrous implications for sea level rise.

The study overturns previous assumptions that most of Greenland’s ice sheet has been frozen for millions of years, the authors said. Instead, moderate, natural warming led to large-scale melting and sea level rise of more than 1.4 meters (4.6 feet), according to the report published Thursday in the journal Science.

Levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are 1.5 times higher now than they were 400,000 years ago, and global temperatures keep climbing.

Jason Box, professor in glaciology at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland who was also not involved in the study, said the results could force a reevaluation of established thinking.

“The current greenhouse gas emission-driven warming may reduce the Greenland ice sheet faster than forecast,” he told CNN.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.ade4248
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/world/greenland-ice-sheet-melt-sea-level-rise-climate

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

"why aren't you microwaving your food? Scared of atoms? :smug:"
Nebraska study finds billions of nanoplastics released when microwaving containers

news.unl.edu posted:

The fastest way to heat food and drink might also rank as the fastest route to ingesting massive quantities of minuscule plastic particles, says new research from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Experiments have shown that microwaving plastic baby food containers available on the shelves of U.S. stores can release huge numbers of plastic particles — in some cases, more than 2 billion nanoplastics and 4 million microplastics for every square centimeter of container.

Though the health effects of consuming micro- and nanoplastics remain unclear, the Nebraska team further found that three-quarters of cultured embryonic kidney cells had died after two days of being introduced to those same particles. A 2022 report from the World Health Organization recommended limiting exposure to such particles.

“It is really important to know how many micro- and nanoplastics we are taking in,” said Kazi Albab Hussain, the study’s lead author and a doctoral student in civil and environmental engineering at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. “When we eat specific foods, we are generally informed or have an idea about their caloric content, sugar levels, other nutrients. I believe it’s equally important that we are aware of the number of plastic particles present in our food.

“Just as we understand the impact of calories and nutrients on our health, knowing the extent of plastic particle ingestion is crucial in understanding the potential harm they may cause. Many studies, including ours, are demonstrating that the toxicity of micro- and nanoplastics is highly linked to the level of exposure.”

The team embarked on its study in 2021, the same year that Hussain became a father. While prior research had investigated the release of plastic particles from baby bottles, the team realized that no studies had examined the sorts of plastic containers and pouches that Hussain found himself shopping for, and that millions of other parents regularly do, too.

Hussain and his colleagues decided to conduct experiments with two baby food containers made from polypropylene and a reusable pouch made of polyethylene, both plastics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In one experiment, the researchers filled the containers with either deionized water or 3% acetic acid — the latter intended to simulate dairy products, fruits, vegetables and other relatively acidic consumables — then heated them at full power for three minutes in a 1,000-watt microwave. Afterward, they analyzed the liquids for evidence of micro- and nanoplastics: the micro being particles at least 1/1,000th of a millimeter in diameter, the nano any particles smaller.

The actual number of each particle released by the microwaving depended on multiple factors, including the plastic container and the liquid within it. But based on a model that factored in particle release, body weight, and per-capita ingestion of various food and drink, the team estimated that infants drinking products with microwaved water and toddlers consuming microwaved dairy products are taking in the greatest relative concentrations of plastic. Experiments designed to simulate the refrigeration and room-temperature storage of food or drink over a six-month span also suggested that both could lead to the release of micro- and nanoplastics.

“For my baby, I was unable to completely avoid the use of plastic,” Hussain said. “But I was able to avoid those (scenarios) which were causing more of the release of micro- and nanoplastics. People also deserve to know those, and they should choose wisely.”

With the help of Svetlana Romanova from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the team then cultured and exposed embryonic kidney cells to the actual plastic particles released from the containers — a first, as far as Hussain can tell. Rather than introduce just the number of particles released by one container, the researchers instead exposed the cells to particle concentrations that infants and toddlers might accumulate over days or from multiple sources.

After two days, just 23% of kidney cells exposed to the highest concentrations had managed to survive — a much higher mortality rate than that observed in earlier studies of micro- and nanoplastic toxicity. The team suspects that kidney cells might be more susceptible to the particles than are other cell types examined in prior research. But those earlier studies also tended to examine the effects of larger polypropylene particles, some of them potentially too large to penetrate cells. If so, the Hussain-led study could prove especially sobering: Regardless of its experimental conditions, the Husker team found that polypropylene containers and polyethylene pouches generally release about 1,000 times more nanoplastics than microplastics.

The question of cell infiltration is just one among many that will require answers, Hussain said, before determining the true risks of consuming micro- and nanoplastics. But to the extent that they do pose a health threat — and that plastics remain a go-to for baby food storage — parents would have a vested interest in seeing that the companies manufacturing plastic containers seek out viable alternatives, he said.

“We need to find the polymers which release fewer (particles),” Hussain said. “Probably, researchers will be able to develop plastics that do not release any micro- or nanoplastics — or, if they do, the release would be negligible.

“I am hopeful that a day will come when these products display labels that read ‘microplastics-free’ or ‘nanoplastics-free.’”

The team reported its findings in the journal Environmental Science & Technology. Hussain and Romanova authored the study with the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s Yusong Li, Mathias Schubert, Yongfeng Lu, Lucía Fernández-Ballester, Bing Wang, Xi Huang, Jesse Kuebler, Dong Zhang and Ilhami Okur. The researchers received support from the National Science Foundation and the Buffett Early Childhood Institute.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I wonder how many microplastics are released with the flash frozen veggie bags that steam when you microwave them for 5 minutes.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Demilich posted:

I wonder how many microplastics are released with the flash frozen veggie bags that steam when you microwave them for 5 minutes.

all of them

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

i mean i guess some people just feed whatever food to whatever animal like there aren't rules so sure

that can cause some serious health issues :ohdear:

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Demilich posted:

probably more than you'd get from a pack of normal frozen veg steamed in a glass/pyrex bowl with a plastic wrap cover since there's no direct contact, and the non-steam bags are cheaper anyway

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Frankly I'm amazed any of us are still alive and able to reproduce.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
We have become plastic people, it’s the next stage of human evolution, stop worrying and embrace it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I want plastic so micro it’ll fit on my telomeres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at the whole concept and execution of tv dinners. first the name, then the reason why youd need to eat them, then heating a plastic tub with plastic film on top. then it's expensive and salty and uses terrible ingredients. :nice: