Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
For a much more entertaining version of this dilemma, just play Galaxy Trucker.

If everyone has the mentality of "I have to build the perfect ship", then the person who builds a perfect ship first probably wins barring some weird card draws.

If even one person has the mentality of "I just need to build a serviceable ship as fast as I can", then the lollygaggers are going to get tremendously hosed, and it's hilarious.

Galaxy Trucker is a game that went through a great curve as we played more. First, we had low scores because we didn't know how to build good ships or anticipate the card draws. Then, we had high scores because we learned to build beautiful ships that could do everything. Then, scores plummeted when we realized that forcing your opponents to make awful ships is an even better strategy than making a great ship. Like, yea, it's fun to beat every enemy and store all of the cargo...but it's even more fun to win with 1 crewmember and 1 engine in a ship held together by papier-mâché.

I once won a game with my stage III ship having a total of like, 15 parts.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When I play Galaxy Trucker I don't play to win, I play to watch everyone's ship fall apart, mine included, which means flipping the timer as soon as I possibly can put together enough chunks of rust and pieces of scrap to constitute a 'ship'

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tomdidiot posted:

Yeah, it's an unstable equilibirum. If someone starts pushing trains, everyone has to start pushing trains otherwise they fall behind to the person pushing trains (more trains = more money).

Something I experience with new 18XX players is the players who need to buy trains can't figure out how to raise enough money to afford trains, so you get the leading player just running their 2s or whatever indefinitely.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Aggro posted:

Galaxy Trucker is a game that went through a great curve as we played more. First, we had low scores because we didn't know how to build good ships or anticipate the card draws. Then, we had high scores because we learned to build beautiful ships that could do everything. Then, scores plummeted when we realized that forcing your opponents to make awful ships is an even better strategy than making a great ship. Like, yea, it's fun to beat every enemy and store all of the cargo...but it's even more fun to win with 1 crewmember and 1 engine in a ship held together by papier-mâché.

I once won a game with my stage III ship having a total of like, 15 parts.

I feel like there's stages of board gaming.

1: You have never played before. You are about to sit down and play this stupid game about Portugeuse tiles that your friend won't shut up about until you try it. You have to play some dumb game about Hitler afterwards. You are only playing these for the friendship.
2: Catan is kind of fun! You're playing other games now, and mostly trying to not lose horribly. You don't really understand why a lot of rules are the way they are, but these things all look cool and the theme is fun.
3: You're well hooked. Catan is a bit boring - you're now trying to win, and win hard, every game you play. If it's not on the BGG hype list, you're not interested. You're backing everything you see on Kickstarter that looks remotely cool. You would sell your mother to get the premium minis add-on.
4: Your collection is out of control. You're playing through half of the poo poo you bought three years ago and see some of the flaws, but you're blinded because of the sunk costs. All those rules seened great on the kickstarter website but you don't understand why there have to be so many.
5: The bitterness has taken hold, and nothing comes out except Azul, 18XX and social deduction. Nothing is worth playing unless you can compeltely gently caress over everyone else. You will scream and flip the table if another kickstarter mess gets brought out that can't be learned in 5 minutes. You are only playing these for the friendship.

If you modify those stages slightly then you can apply that mastery curve to almost any game. It's why Sidereal tells you not to play with the Zeth - unless you're a full stage 5 gronk like myself, people are too worried about "not losing" to see where the fun can be squeezed out of running an extortion racket (or counter negotiating for those fuckin envoys). It's also not fun for the Zeth when the Zeth's targets don't play along.

I guess I'm weirdly defensive about it because the designer has made some excellent posts (and an excellent game) so I'm inclined to trust his judgement around providing general advice in a rulebook.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
This is also why I think my friends who only play social deduction games "because I'm too stupid to play economic games" are actually the smartest people I know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think the “stages” you have for gaming is more like branches instead. Once you’re familiar with games you either go the lifestyle route of mastering fewer games or you go the consumer heavy Kickstarter route and treat each new game as a movie experience and likely never play it again.

You can have sore losers and winners in either pile but from my experience the sore losers and AP tend to come from those where this is likely the only time they’ll ever play the game oh god I need to have a good showing instead of the group where you shrug since you know you’ll play it again this month, if not next week.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

million dollar mack posted:

This is also why I think my friends who only play social deduction games "because I'm too stupid to play economic games" are actually the smartest people I know.

Thank you for this indirect compliment goon sir

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i am too mean looking to play social deduction games since i am always the bad guy even if i am not

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I feel like 2 or 2.5 is the realm of houseruling after a single play :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

"Okay this card that screwed me over is bad, I'm houseruling it out because it's unbalanced"

I think I've only ever houseruled one thing, and that's getting rid of the cards in Archipelago that give you an automatic X coins in the turn-order auction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

1: You have never played before. You are about to sit down and play this stupid game about Portugeuse tiles that your friend won't shut up about until you try it. You have to play some dumb game about Hitler afterwards. You are only playing these for the friendship.
2: Catan is kind of fun! You're playing other games now, and mostly trying to not lose horribly. You don't really understand why a lot of rules are the way they are, but these things all look cool and the theme is fun.
3: You're well hooked. Catan is a bit boring - you're now trying to win, and win hard, every game you play. If it's not on the BGG hype list, you're not interested. You're backing everything you see on Kickstarter that looks remotely cool. You would sell your mother to get the premium minis add-on.
4: Your collection is out of control. You're playing through half of the poo poo you bought three years ago and see some of the flaws, but you're blinded because of the sunk costs. All those rules seened great on the kickstarter website but you don't understand why there have to be so many.
5: The bitterness has taken hold, and nothing comes out except Azul, 18XX and social deduction. Nothing is worth playing unless you can compeltely gently caress over everyone else. You will scream and flip the table if another kickstarter mess gets brought out that can't be learned in 5 minutes. You are only playing these for the friendship.

This is like a weird mashup of Reddit board gamers and groggy train gamers put to a livejournal post.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A lot of people pivot to high interaction hour long euros

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Only an hour?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hour long high interaction euros are a sweet spot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only thing I ever houseruled was for Space Team (the board game based on the app), where instead of placing the end-goal cards randomly distributed in each deck, I put them at the bottom instead. Having to have everyone finish their decks in order to win is much better imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, about that. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but thereabouts.

HT, web of power, the estates, a ton of Knizias, there's an entire BGG guild called "OG Euros" or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, about that. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but thereabouts.

HT, web of power, the estates, a ton of Knizias, there's an entire BGG guild called "OG Euros" or something.

Thank you for specifying. I get itchy when people say "one hour type X game" without specificity because it is often some game where they're just familiar enough with it to get the time down. That's fine but it makes it less applicable as a suggestion as a place to break in.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sloober posted:

i am too mean looking to play social deduction games since i am always the bad guy even if i am not

Sorry to hear that. I look and behave ur angle, But I can be ur devil

Bottom Liner posted:

This is like a weird mashup of Reddit board gamers and groggy train gamers put to a livejournal post.

I got into hobby last Oct and it doesn't describe me at all. But I'm built different

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my phases were:

1. tash kalar, mage knight, and agricola

2. 4 hour economic sims, euros, and modern art

3. kickstarter shame and modern art

4. various heavy co-ops (gloomhaven, frosthaven, arkham horror lcg, mostly spirit island) and auction games (and modern art)

I'd probably be playing more 4 hour economic sims but time and effort to get people around a table is a pain. co-ops have been great over the pandemic as they are chill, easier to play online, and you can get really good at them without alienating people you play occasionally with. I do have that shikoku 18xx coming and I'd love to play more 18xx's - maybe that will become more common as i get more time in my days.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 20, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My personality is Spirit Island. Sometimes we play other games, but all roads return to SI.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

my phases were buying games and then not playing or buying any game anymore

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thank you for reminding me, somehow it slipped my mind. I have played something like 8 games of spirit island in the past 3 days. I am going nuts over the new stuff added in the recent expansion

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Personally, I was the one who got my family and friends into board games but I legit can't remember how I started exactly, beyond the fact that my first board game was Sushi Go. This was back in, uh, 2014 or thereabouts? Back then I mostly played RPGs and miniature wargames like Warmachine, but then I discovered this thread and SUSD. I ordered Sushi Go abroad that summer and everyone loved it to bits and from then on I bought mostly goon-recommended stuff*. The only Kickstarter I ever pledged to was the Villages of Valeria one, and it was only at the PNP files tier.

* Seriously, I own 63 board games, more than half of them are pre-2015 and I think only 6 or 7 of my purchases didn't have goon input lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember when I was younger I mocked one of my sister's friends who tried to get us to play Pandemic because I thought it was some ultra nerd poo poo hahaha. Later my friend's gf had us play the Knizia Lord of the Rings game (1st edition with the cool pieces) and that was the coolest game ever to me. I bought my own copy of that then went in on Marvel Legendary, and that was that.

I get most if not all my intel of good new games from this thread too. My friends think I'm a savant at finding good games to play but I just wait until at least 3 people say it's good in here before I look at it myself lol

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Tekopo posted:

my phases were buying games and then not playing or buying any game anymore

my phases were thinking I'm looking for the perfect game and then realizing I'm actually looking for the right board gaming friends

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm excited for Roddy to bring back KoR to try and talk some sense into Cole, only for Kylo to instantly click with Max and they go on to win the trios belts too.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am myself pivoting to hour long euros. I mean I ALWAYS liked euros they were the poo poo that got me hooked on board games in general. Like I legit started off playing like Puerto Rico and Agricola and was like "this is now my entire personality". But more and more while I like long dense games still I end up coming straight back to games that are like just in under an hour. I just recently played Hansa Teutonica and kinda impulse bought the big box afterward because I was like this game is lightning fuckin quick goddamn and it has all the flavor of sand I love it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm excited for Roddy to bring back KoR to try and talk some sense into Cole, only for Kylo to instantly click with Max and they go on to win the trios belts too.

of all the posts in this thread that don't make sense, this makes the least sense.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
My phases were

Play games with friends, sometimes in small groups, sometimes large, sometimes planned game nights, sometimes impromptu

And

Sit at home and never play games because literally everyone I know now has small children and I’m lucky if I can get one scheduled game night in a year

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Posting about playing games more than actually playing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was doing that back when I was actually playing games regularly, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Morpheus posted:

"Okay this card that screwed me over is bad, I'm houseruling it out because it's unbalanced"

I think I've only ever houseruled one thing, and that's getting rid of the cards in Archipelago that give you an automatic X coins in the turn-order auction.

I house rule tons if poo poo before the first play. For example the stupid select a first player rule is replaced with pick a first player randomly.

Jokes aside i do do some house rules. Any game with teams my play tracking app has a very lovely ELO system per game, so I sort people into teams by Elo rating. This generally results in pretty decent teams so I'm going to stick to doing it.

Similarly any game with asymmetric factions or characters or whatever, the lowest ELO players get first pick, highest gets last.

I don't rub anyone's face in it so overall it had quite a positive effect on thr group dynamic, for example if you've been losing a bunch to 'bullshit' you get to pick first next time so you can put up or shut up.

Similarly soft social pressure not to complain about teams being unfair because if the teams are unfair its because you are a very strong player.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I apply strong social pressure to force everyone to be very nice to me and everyone else. Luckily, I was not the first and am not the only.

Everyone must have fun or else 😠

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

your gang has a group chat as well huh

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Ok so spill what's your game tracking app

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Impermanent posted:

Ok so spill what's your game tracking app

https://www.bgstatsapp.com/ has updated pretty consistently over the years, adding almost everything I'd want in a tracker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I house rule tons if poo poo before the first play. For example the stupid select a first player rule is replaced with pick a first player randomly.

Jokes aside i do do some house rules. Any game with teams my play tracking app has a very lovely ELO system per game, so I sort people into teams by Elo rating. This generally results in pretty decent teams so I'm going to stick to doing it.

Similarly any game with asymmetric factions or characters or whatever, the lowest ELO players get first pick, highest gets last.

I don't rub anyone's face in it so overall it had quite a positive effect on thr group dynamic, for example if you've been losing a bunch to 'bullshit' you get to pick first next time so you can put up or shut up.

Similarly soft social pressure not to complain about teams being unfair because if the teams are unfair its because you are a very strong player.

I don't really consider meta game things like that house rules. You're not changing the way the game works as much as ensuring that it does work. A common one I've seen is splitting couples up from teams or from sitting beside one another in comp games.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Elysium posted:

My phases were

Play games with friends, sometimes in small groups, sometimes large, sometimes planned game nights, sometimes impromptu

And

Sit at home and never play games because literally everyone I know now has small children and I’m lucky if I can get one scheduled game night in a year

God bless Steam for allowing to me play tons of Gloomhaven, Spirit Island, and Blood Rage -- games that I love but can never get to the table on the once a blood moon that we get together for games

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Morpheus posted:

https://www.bgstatsapp.com/ has updated pretty consistently over the years, adding almost everything I'd want in a tracker.

A Good App

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
I started ‘serious’ board gaming with Avalon Hill games in the 90s as a youngin playing with his old man and his friends. Civilisation and Britannia let me live the fantasy of ruling an ancient kingdom but I know that I was getting rolled by those who could manipulate the others better.
AH then died and it mostly all fell off my radar until about 10 years ago when the hobby started swinging up in popularity and I discovered things like Avalon, Carcassone and CamelUp - stupid goofy games that you get going quickly in and allow you to concentrate more on the interaction than having to memorise the 8 conditions that allow you to move into the hinterlands for free but without having to burn a secret to do so.

In all of this, Kickstarter is a blessing and a curse I’m just baffled by those who sink this money into outrageously unproven games (or worse, into the designers who have proven to make minifig bloated pieces of crap LOOKING AT YOU ERIC LANG) and slightly concerned for the future of the industry when this all comes crashing down as people realise there’s only a finite amount of time.

This rage posting is all because my friends are dumb and have no taste when it comes to games and keep bringing out trash and no I will not make new friends :agesilaus: