Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for leaving my niece’s wedding reception early and taking my gift back?

Bolding mine.

Pretty sure taking a gift back always makes you an rear end in a top hat.

So does not saying what the gift was in a reddit post. Are the happy couple going to have to make their way through life without a stand mixer, or is it some serious folding money.

I'm trying to think of what it would take for me to call and ask for a gift after somebody took it to punish me. I'm thinking it is at least car sized. gently caress 'em if it is just a duvet set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Impressive stones/nukes effort here

AITA for my response after a guy kept saying I’m ugly

quote:

I’m (22F) a college student and currently live with three other girls (early - mid 20s). Our place is big so we often have friends (girls and guys) over and our place is the regular hangout spot.

Well in the summer a new guy (21m) joined the friend circle and he’s incredibly rude to me. He often jokes that I’m ugly/makes fun of my looks and called me a “Walmart [some actress whose name I forgot]” last time we met. He only picks on me even tho I’ve not mistreated him at all (and before you say it…no he does NOT like me). It upset me but I’m non confrontational so just brushed his comments off. (And no one told him to cut it out either. When I voiced my concern to the group they said that he’s obviously not being serious. Well to me it WAS serious).

As a result me and the girls started excluding him from everything.

Well a few days ago I found out that he was adopted as a baby and that his mom is an awful, awful narcissist. That same evening he knocked on our door and asked to speak with me privately. Naturally I declined. I told him that he’s such an rear end in a top hat even his biological parents couldn’t stand him. I also added that he clearly took after his mom in terms of personality.

After this incident I was labeled an AH by some people (mostly the guys). Apparently I went from 0-100 with my response and that it was far more savage/toxic than what he said to me all this time.

However my closest friends backed me up and said that my reply was totally justified. So, AITA?
This is some proto-PUA trying out his self-taught negging skills, right?

Nice of the guys to repeatedly brush off the dude picking on OP, only to rally to his defense when she cracked back. Bro code, amirite? OP should upgrade her (male) friend group.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure taking a gift back always makes you an rear end in a top hat.

So does not saying what the gift was in a reddit post. Are the happy couple going to have to make their way through life without a stand mixer, or is it some serious folding money.

I'm trying to think of what it would take for me to call and ask for a gift after somebody took it to punish me. I'm thinking it is at least car sized. gently caress 'em if it is just a duvet set.

In the comments OP said it was a check

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Tarezax posted:

In the comments OP said it was a check

How much would it take for you to call and say sorry and ask for the money back?

Depending on the Uncle, I think my bidding would start at 10k, and a whole lot more than that for some of my extended family, like house money. House in the _city_ money.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
does it count as taking a gift back if the recipients were too busy getting shitfaced to come to their own wedding and receive it in the first place?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dude chucked a hissy fit, and left his own brother's daughter's wedding, (taking his "thoughtful" gift of a check), because he felt "disrespected" by the happy couple being a little late.
He is undisputedly an arsehole.

But sending an apology text and asking for the check back. That makes you an entitled or petty arsehole.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I don't know, weddings are unbearable enough when you're all standing around drinking and snacking and playing nice. No food or drinks and having to deal with relatives you don't otherwise talk to for a reason, for an hour and half while the bridal party is driving around getting shitfaced, sounds like torture. I can see being pissy; it shows absolutely no concern for your guests to leave them standing around with their thumbs up their asses while you go out and party. Still should've left them the check, though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dude chucked a hissy fit, and left his own brother's daughter's wedding, (taking his "thoughtful" gift of a check), because he felt "disrespected" by the happy couple being a little late.

But sending an apology text and asking for the check back. That makes you an entitled or petty arsehole.

They weren't a little late because of traffic, they left everyone standing around for over an hour while they went on a bender in the limo (isn't there booze at the reception?)

They're 22, so op will probably be vindicated when they're divorced and everyone else is mad, thinking about how much they spent on gifts for a 6 month marriage.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

i don't know, being forced to wait an hour to get any food or drink while the bridal party got shitfaced is pretty disrespectful?

AITA for saying I would stay at my moms if I had to share a room with babies?

quote:

I’m 16f. My parents split up before I was born, custody is I live with my dad most of the time and my mom every other weekend (plus random staying with her if I want) Recently, my dad got engaged to “Hanna”, and she and her kids are moving in. Hanna’s kids ages are: 9, 7, 2, 2, 2. She is widowed, so they live with her full time.

This made room arrangements a bit awkward, since there’s only 3 kids bedrooms to go around. Dad and Hanna talked it over last night (without consulting anybody) and Hanna came over this morning to announce with my dad what they decided. Apparently, they want 9 and 7 to each have their own rooms, and me to share with the triplets because my room is significantly bigger than the others “and I don’t stay there full time”.

I said their plan was stupid, they wanted me to share with 3 toddlers. They said they didn’t want me to move but it was the biggest room so other people should share. I said I didn’t care if I switched rooms, because the more logical move would have been the triplets in the big room, 7 and 9 share, and I get my own (I said I’d take the smallest one) until I move out. They said it would be more work to move my things to another room, and their idea was more “practical”. Then asked why I was so pressed since I don’t even live here full time.

I said not staying in the room four days a month was a sorry excuse to land me with a bunch of toddlers, and if they seriously planned on doing it to me I’d make the custody arrangement change and I’d stay with mom for the most part (I know she doesn’t mind because both of them remind me I could stay with her whenever I wanted).

This made Hanna cry because she just wants her family to blend together nicely and apparently I was ruining her plans. This made dad mad at me and Im not allowed to talk to Hanna until she forgives me. I didn’t know this meant so much to them but I’m still saying I’ll stay with mom longer if I have to share with toddlers,but my dad made me feel a bit guilty so AITA?

I think sharing a room with toddler triplets might be the closest thing to going to Hell alive.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Leaving 100+ guests waiting around for food/drink because you purposefully hosed off to mindlessly drive around on a highway while you get shitfaced... is certainly a choice. One of those "hosed around, found out" things, where the consequences of your rudeness is having less money.

At most it's ESH because he took the gift back, but the wedding party was definitely pretty lovely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OP was disrespected, making 150 wedding guests wait around for two hours while you decide impromptu to get drunk in a limo with your friends is disrespectful.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think sharing a room with toddler triplets might be the closest thing to going to Hell alive.

You know *exactly* why she wants her in the room with the toddlers. Yet another case of attempted-forced-babysitting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

You know *exactly* why she wants her in the room with the toddlers. Yet another case of attempted-forced-babysitting.

I only got as far as '16f' before making that assumption.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those parents suck, they are trying to turn OP into a nanny but aren't brave enough to admit it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cowslips Warren posted:

"You're running my plans for a perfect blended family! The plans where my preteen children get there own rooms, and we slam a set of loving triplets in with you!"

Glad OP has her mom's place, I'd be out couch surfing at that age if my parents tried that poo poo.

Looking forward to the post from dad in 5 years when his daughter won't talk to him anymore.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

and Im not allowed to talk to Hanna until she forgives me.

PROBLEM SOLVED, now continue never speaking to her again

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the way, Hanna has also joined the Earplug of the Month Club.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

QuarkJets posted:

OP was disrespected, making 150 wedding guests wait around for two hours while you decide impromptu to get drunk in a limo with your friends is disrespectful.

The guests basically always arrive at the reception way before the wedding party, it's just usually because of photos. The weird thing here is the venue not starting the drinks and hors d'oeuvres, which, who knows if that was even intentional.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Like it's totally a thing the wedding party does after a wedding, they just let people know ahead of time and have drinks and stuff for their guests to relax and mingle before the reception fully starts.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have never been at a reception for an hour and a half before the couple arrives and been left with no food or anything. I would have been out of there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The parents are also fighting her perfectly reasonable compromise, (She gets the smallest room, triplets get the biggest room, and the 7 year old and 9 year old share.) And this can be explained to the two kids who have to share quite reasonably as "OP is the eldest, so she gets her own room, and the triplets are toddlers so they get their own room"

And they are fighting it on the bounds of "I don't want to move all of your stuff out of your room. Even though we are prepared to do the work to move all the other kids stuff in." Moving her stuff at the same time wouldn't be that much extra would it?

They are definitely trying to turn her into a free babysitter for the little ones.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You're not allowed to talk to your stepmom until she forgives you for ruining her forced free childcare fantasy <:mad:>

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s no interpersonal conflict here, I just love the atmosphere of this AAM post:

quote:

3. Convention center will not turn down the music

I belong to a professional organization that has a statewide convention every year. We always hold this meeting in a convention center/resort that has been in business for decades, and is centrally located and affordable. The problem is that a few years ago the center was purchased by a frozen-drink-themed resort chain. Everything is pretty much the same, except now they blast yacht rock 24/7. I don’t mean just in the bars and restaurants, but at the reception desk, the halls outside the meeting rooms, in the corridors that connect to the hotel, etc. I’ve had to shout at the receptionists in order to be understood, we’ve had to close the doors to meetings to drown out the sound, and I’ve heard people complain they couldn’t sleep because the music crept into their hotel rooms.

For three years I’ve complained to the management, as have my fellow attendees, asking that they turn down the music in the business part of the center. The responses are always apologetic, however, I get the impression that the loud music is corporate policy. I’ve told them this might be an ADA violation, as anyone with hearing loss would not be able to hear anything above the noise, but as that doesn’t apply to me, I don’t feel it’s an avenue I can pursue.

Changing convention centers is not really an option, and other than the music, we have no complaints. Is there any way we can lean on the corporate management so we can carry on a conversation in the halls?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

There’s no interpersonal conflict here, I just love the atmosphere of this AAM post:

WHAT?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just say it’s Margaritaville.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I SAID I L~What a fool belieeeeeeeeeves, he seeeeees, no wise man has the power~

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just add water to a Pringles can and shake it up. There's your premade mashed potatoes.

Get her a Sierra Madre Martini.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Exactly. Basically, yes there's thinking involved in poo poo like this, and yeeting all of that thinking work back onto your partner to specify for you so that all you are is a tool to retrieve the thing....that isn't cool. If OP wasn't so mean otherwise, I'd be on her side, because your sick partner asking you to get some food and then volleying back where in the grocery store they should choose it from is infuriating. Ultimately, she's asking him to pick up the mental load for a moment.

But, she's picked at his confidence so much, she's rendered him unable to confidently pick up the ball and run with it. Huge self-own on her part, and borderline abusive. That poor guy.

What happens when you've already abused someone into pieces so badly they have no confidence in doing anything you actually need them to do- and you're so used to being vague and refusing to clarify so you can put them in no-win situations that you're literally incapable of giving adequate instructions for something you actually want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pirate Radar posted:

If going somewhere else isn't an option, then you don't have any leverage to make them change.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cerekk posted:

The guests basically always arrive at the reception way before the wedding party, it's just usually because of photos. The weird thing here is the venue not starting the drinks and hors d'oeuvres, which, who knows if that was even intentional.

Usually the guests know about that sort of thing in advance. You shouldn't tell your guests a specific time and then actually start the reception 2 hours later :shrug:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, usually that gap in time has the reception venue open, allows guests to go get some refreshments, chat, catch up, slam a bottle of Jameson in the parking lot, use the bathroom, smoke etc.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, usually that gap in time has the reception venue open, allows guests to go get some refreshments, chat, catch up, slam a bottle of Jameson in the parking lot, use the bathroom, smoke etc.

gently caress in the bathroom, too

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Troublemaker posted:

I don't know, weddings are unbearable enough when you're all standing around drinking and snacking and playing nice. No food or drinks and having to deal with relatives you don't otherwise talk to for a reason, for an hour and half while the bridal party is driving around getting shitfaced, sounds like torture. I can see being pissy; it shows absolutely no concern for your guests to leave them standing around with their thumbs up their asses while you go out and party. Still should've left them the check, though.

My wedding was held at a winery, and we didn't realize it at the time but both the University of Oregon and Oregon State University both had home football games that day (and one of them was playing Portland State) so traffic to our venue was terrible and enough significant family members were late enough that we delayed the start of the ceremony by at least 30 minutes. My wife had previously asked the venue staff not to start serving alcohol until the reception, but I figured with the delay there'd be no harm in letting people have wine early.

I went up to the wine counter and said "Hey, let's go ahead and start serving wine." The employee said "I'm sorry, sir, but the bride told me to wait until after the ceremony." I told her "Well I'm the groom and I'm overruling her."

At this point this poor woman gets a look of terror on her face, and I can tell she is thinking "Oh God, no matter what I do here it's going to be the wrong decision."

Anyway, my wife didn't care at all and there was no actual drama.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like I can't believe people are saying 'a little bit late' for, as said, at least an hour and a half while they specifically hosed off to get drunk in the limo and made everyone wait on them.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My wedding was held at a winery, and we didn't realize it at the time but both the University of Oregon and Oregon State University both had home football games that day (and one of them was playing Portland State) so traffic to our venue was terrible and enough significant family members were late enough that we delayed the start of the ceremony by at least 30 minutes. My wife had previously asked the venue staff not to start serving alcohol until the reception, but I figured with the delay there'd be no harm in letting people have wine early.

I went up to the wine counter and said "Hey, let's go ahead and start serving wine." The employee said "I'm sorry, sir, but the bride told me to wait until after the ceremony." I told her "Well I'm the groom and I'm overruling her."

At this point this poor woman gets a look of terror on her face, and I can tell she is thinking "Oh God, no matter what I do here it's going to be the wrong decision."

Anyway, my wife didn't care at all and there was no actual drama.

Pft, yeah, given as said venues expect or at least keep in mind the potential for wedding parties to be some flavour of disaster I cannot blame them for the paranoia.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my sister to shut the gently caress up?

quote:

She was just visiting the other day and saw some of my dog’s toys. My sister asked me how many he has and I told her 12. She started lecturing me about how I’m ‘spoiling him rotten’ and ‘wasting’ my money. Told me I was turning him into a brat, even though he is a very well behaved dog. I asked her how many her dog’s got and she said she doesn’t give him any toys.

She then went right back to saying I shouldn’t be spending so much money. When I tried to interrupt she held up her hand and shushed me, so I told her to shut the gently caress up, and that it’s my own money and I can spend it however I want. I also said that it’s none of her business and if she’s gonna criticize me from how I use my money she should just leave. My sister seemed really upset. Did I blow it out of proportion?

EDIT to add : No, I do not owe her any money. I’ve never borrowed from my sister.

UPDATE : Thank you so much for all your comments. She called me twenty minutes ago. She admitted that she was pushy but still maintained that dog toys are unnecessary and that her dog is fine without them. I told her that if she does not want to spend the money on toys, I am willing to buy some for her dog. She said ‘Fine. Whatever.’ I’m about to leave my house and buy some dog toys for her dog now. Will also be getting my dog a couple of new squeakers too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my sister to shut the gently caress up?

Poor sister's dog.

The toy box I keep in my study - the bigger box is downstairs.

The dog.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Poor sister's dog.

The toy box I keep in my study - the bigger box is downstairs.

The dog.

Dog status: good

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Jfc to no toy dog lady. The animal can't choose to leave to materially improve its conditions, it's trapped there with no toys. Even prison wardens acknowledge the prisoners need stimulation sometimes.

If this is how she treats who she loves, I'd hate to see what she does to those she hates.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I bet the toyless dog misbehaves a lot out of boredom.

(Disclaimer: my dog misbehaves plenty despite abundant toys)

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What happens when you've already abused someone into pieces so badly they have no confidence in doing anything you actually need them to do- and you're so used to being vague and refusing to clarify so you can put them in no-win situations that you're literally incapable of giving adequate instructions for something you actually want.

That dude is 100% doing this kinda poo poo on purpose to antagonize her. not sure whether she knows that or not and is doing her own part in purposely giving him tasks to gently caress up.

their friends probably hate them both though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

What is it with the internet vernacular of labeling everything a hissy fit, a tantrum, and stomping their feet? Removing yourself from an unpleasant situation is not a hissy fit.

Forcing people to unexpectedly wait around for hours with no food or drink while you drive around and get drunk is disrespectful.