Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
like look at how big all of the text is here, its terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That Little Demon posted:

is there a way to decrease the font size on nameplates? its so loving big, even in 4K....

Yes. I think they added it like a month ago, lmao

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

oh my loving god you are a life saver lol... SO MUCH BETTER!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The name role colors are great. People always said to stay in range of the healers and now the green names are super easy to find and stand next to

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

The name role colors are great. People always said to stay in range of the healers and now the green names are super easy to find and stand next to

It's one of the best QoL features they've added in years. I do Savage raiding where you have to do DPS/healer or DPS/tank two-person stacks pretty often, and being able to see at a glance that you're next to the right person is life-changing.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
As someone who hates nameplate text floating everywhere I can also suggest the more radical approach: just turn the drat things off for most things.

I have the majority of the Display Name types set to "When Targeted":

I have no permanent nameplates for any flavor of NPCs or PCs. Minions, pets and myself are all on Never. I don't even like having interactable objects with names on Always.

I have Engaged Enemies and Claimed Enemies on Always, as well as Friends. That's about it. The rest I just find to be visual noise that makes me both like the game less and play worse.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Relyssa posted:

Expected, burger king havers are too busy being little shits in novice network

Only ten of them, the other 90 appear to be idling in limsa

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dareon posted:

Only ten of them, the other 90 appear to be idling in limsa

you can do these things simultaneously

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I should pay better attention to patch notes, role colors sounds great

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

like look at how big all of the text is here, its terrible

I reclaimed a lot of my screen's real estate by turning off titles and pets' nameplates if you don't want to turn off all nameplates completely. That'd solve like 75% of the clutter in that image alone

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You can also have your party have their job icons as prefix to their names too.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the real purpose of job icons on name plates is to be able to hunt down the mimicry you want on BLU easier

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I gotta say I like this game but there is too much godawful story to start with, its running back and forth between two points over and over and I somehow outleveled the story content by 12+ levels and that was with barely any side missions. What the gently caress were they thinking? No, I really don't need to see a celebration about what happened 5 years ago in all 3 cities that says the exact same thing. Why do I need to go back to the waking sands to hear what some idiot thinks when she specifically gave me a device to talk to me remotely? Terrible designs all around here.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I am doing level 20 quests at level 32, and here is an example of how poorly designed the story mission structure is:

Hey you picked a grand company, you can buy a chocobo! Okay you need seals to do so, but good news! It's part of the quest reward. Whats that? No you don't turn in the quest here, you have to go to the Waking Sands to do it, THEN come back. It's simply baffling lol. I hope the whole game isn't like this

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

I gotta say I like this game but there is too much godawful story to start with, its running back and forth between two points over and over and I somehow outleveled the story content by 12+ levels and that was with barely any side missions. What the gently caress were they thinking? No, I really don't need to see a celebration about what happened 5 years ago in all 3 cities that says the exact same thing. Why do I need to go back to the waking sands to hear what some idiot thinks when she specifically gave me a device to talk to me remotely? Terrible designs all around here.
They were thinking that they desperately needed to completely rebuild the dumpster fire that was 1.0 from the ground up in about a year. They had to cobble together the story in a real hurry and it shows. ARR's widely accepted to be the weakest part of the game by far, and even with the overhauls that removed a lot of pointless busywork it's still pretty tedious. And the Titan bullshit's still bad and awful.

However, the foundations it's laying are also pretty important to the rest of the story though, so as tempting as it is try not to tune it all out.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

They were thinking that they desperately needed to completely rebuild the dumpster fire that was 1.0 from the ground up in about a year. They had to cobble together the story in a real hurry and it shows. ARR's widely accepted to be the weakest part of the game by far, and even with the overhauls that removed a lot of pointless busywork it's still pretty tedious. And the Titan bullshit's still bad and awful.

However, the foundations it's laying are also pretty important to the rest of the story though, so as tempting as it is try not to tune it all out.

I mean I'm not tuning it out, its just very, very repetitive. Good to know its the weakest part though

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The exp thing though what they were thinking is they added 40 levels since release and need to get you there

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

its funny cause some stuff was done to smooth over the onramping a bit. like it used to be that you had to go out and grind FATEs to get the 500 seals to buy your chocobo instead of just being handed them, and a couple years ago they culled some quests from a realm reborn to reduce the overall time it takes to get to heavensward.

ofc I also think if you're not digging the cutscenes you should just skip them and come back later using new game+

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Glagha posted:

The exp thing though what they were thinking is they added 40 levels since release and need to get you there

well thats nice, but at level 32 and still a conjurer I'm doing level 20 quests with 2 damage spells, both weak. lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vitamean posted:

its funny cause some stuff was done to smooth over the onramping a bit. like it used to be that you had to go out and grind FATEs to get the 500 seals to buy your chocobo instead of just being handed them, and a couple years ago they culled some quests from a realm reborn to reduce the overall time it takes to get to heavensward.

ofc I also think if you're not digging the cutscenes you should just skip them and come back later using new game+

I don't think the cutscenes are really the problem, just back to back to back and very repetitively telling me the same thing over and over again. It wouldn't be an issue if they were broken up even a little bit by something else, but there is no point in doing other things to level up when I'm already so far ahead level wise compared to the main quest

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

common early healer L honestly

e: like, jokes aside, the reason conjurer specifically gets a mount is because early conjurer loving sucks

You will struggle to die but also struggle to kill. The cycle never ends. Unlock the companion chocobo as soon as you can.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Something nice about the MSQ experience curve is that it does allow you to level multiple jobs fairly easily -- you can keep 2 jobs at level through MSQ experience and squeeze in a third if you like doing duty roulettes. If your main is way overleveled for the msq feel free to try out some of the other jobs.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

well thats nice, but at level 32 and still a conjurer I'm doing level 20 quests with 2 damage spells, both weak. lol
Yeah I'll be real with you - healers aren't going to get better in the offensive department. They've been victim to some massive oversimplification over the years that's left their offensive toolkit pretty barebones, so what you've got now is basically all you'll ever get. The animations might get shinier and numbers might get bigger, but it'll always be the same two buttons. My advice if you wanna play a healer is to ditch Conjurer and grab Arcanist from Limsa instead. Arcanist eventually evolves into two classes, the offensive Summoner and the healer Scholar, and they share levels. So when you're a level 53 Summoner you're also a level 53 Scholar. This lets you use the more interesting DPS kit of Summoner for MSQ stuff (though how much more interesting is up for debate since it's the simplest DPS class in the game by far) and swap to a healing kit whenever you want to play with other people.

Don't worry about the levels, just do your hunting logs and you'll reach level 20 in no time.

I'd also advise you pick up a secondary class to level. As you've noticed the MSQ gives you an insane amount of XP, easily enough to level two classes at once if you split it between them. My advice would be a tank to complete the trifecta alongside Scholar, and Marauder/Warrior is the easiest tank to play in the game.

Also I loving KNEW you started in Gridania! The description of the opening areas gave it away - as someone who relatively recently went through all three of the opening areas, compared to the other two it's a joyless fuckin' slog of endless busywork.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah I'll be real with you - healers aren't going to get better in the offensive department. They've been victim to some massive oversimplification over the years that's left their offensive toolkit pretty barebones, so what you've got now is basically all you'll ever get. The animations might get shinier and numbers might get bigger, but it'll always be the same two buttons. My advice if you wanna play a healer is to ditch Conjurer and grab Arcanist from Limsa instead. Arcanist eventually evolves into two classes, the offensive Summoner and the healer Scholar, and they share levels. So when you're a level 53 Summoner you're also a level 53 Scholar. This lets you use the more interesting DPS kit of Summoner for MSQ stuff (though how much more interesting is up for debate since it's the simplest DPS class in the game by far) and swap to a healing kit whenever you want to play with other people.

Don't worry about the levels, just do your hunting logs and you'll reach level 20 in no time.

I'd also advise you pick up a secondary class to level. As you've noticed the MSQ gives you an insane amount of XP, easily enough to level two classes at once if you split it between them. My advice would be a tank to complete the trifecta alongside Scholar, and Marauder/Warrior is the easiest tank to play in the game.

Also I loving KNEW you started in Gridania! The description of the opening areas gave it away - as someone who relatively recently went through all three of the opening areas, compared to the other two it's a joyless fuckin' slog of endless busywork.

Lmfao good to know. In MMOs dating back to EQ I’ve only played a healer, it’s what I enjoy, so I’ll probably switch around the different healing classes and see what I like. I had settled on being a white mage but we will see

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lmfao good to know. In MMOs dating back to EQ I’ve only played a healer, it’s what I enjoy, so I’ll probably switch around the different healing classes and see what I like. I had settled on being a white mage but we will see
I would really recommend picking up a secondary class that's either a tank or DPS (and isn't Thaumaturge/Black Mage) to do MSQ stuff on at the very least, though. Doing story battles with only two damage buttons (maybe a third or fourth at higher levels if you're lucky) is a snoozefest.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Oh, don't get the other poster wrong: healers are cool and good, but you get two dps buttons and it's slow. And you can't die unless you aren't paying attention.

I understand why many people recommend arc -> smn/sch, but it's worth it at your point to go to other cities and try out some other classes, and see what jives with you. If nothing else it's a break from pray returning to the waking sands.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

I would really recommend picking up a secondary class that's either a tank or DPS (and isn't Thaumaturge/Black Mage) to do MSQ stuff on at the very least, though. Doing story battles with only two damage buttons (maybe a third or fourth at higher levels if you're lucky) is a snoozefest.

is the entire main story solo stuff? I mean, outside of dungeons? Is there no group content for the main story at all?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

All group content is in instances for MSQ, so just dungeons and an occasional boss fight

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

RME posted:

All group content is in instances for MSQ, so just dungeons and an occasional boss fight

Huh, okay. So really being a healer is just like, oh, occasionally I will heal people lol? Very strange

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

basically, yeah. eventually you'll get different types of group content and there's some big group overworld stuff that players organize like hunt trains but the game maintains a pretty strict line between instanced, grouped content and overworld solo content.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The main story will have you do a ton of 4-man dungeons. Trials, which are basically big boss fights with no dungeon attached (initially 4-man, but after the level 50 Trial they're 8-man from then on) and three 24-man raids (which are easy as poo poo, they're basically a circus. I've been playing this game for nearly 6 years and I still barely know how the first boss of the first one works)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I gotta say though, coming from WoW the aesthetic and music and world is pure Kino

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Outside of repeatable content like trials and dungeons, MSQ is entirely solo and will soon be almost entirely soloable outside of trials once they add duty support to the Stormblood patch dungeons.

As far as other ARR classes go (since most of my favorites are HW or later), I found pugilist/monk to be enjoyable at low levels (haven't leveled it too high, yet, since that job's on an alt), archer/bard is weird but in an interesting way, and I've heard people describe marauder/warrior to be good first tanks (though I didn't pick those up until I was already comfortable tanking with the squishiest tank...).

E: I enjoy dragoon, but also I feel like lancer just sucks. It takes a while for dragoon to feel Good, unfortunately. Then again, I'm a freak who thinks starting as thaumaturge was vital for me getting through ARR the first time because none of the other classes had the mental grit I needed early on.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Everything in the game is locked behind the MSQ, pretty much. I don't play many MMOs, but I gather that's not how it usually goes! :v:

If you managed to grind your way to level 50 without touching the MSQ, nothing would really unlock, can't do the endgame (for ARR anyway) raids, those are all locked behind finishing ARR's MSQ.
And then the individual expansions are locked behind finishing the MSQ that was added in the patches that came between. So when you finish ARR, you'll have to do all the ARR patch MSQ before you can move onto Heavensward. Which sounds daunting, but honestly some of my favourite stuff is in the patch quests for the expansions.

Basically, you can kind of think of the game as five JRPGs stapled together, with an MMO surrounding it. If that makes sense.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Once you get to 50 you will have daily queues available that let you heal as much as you want and catch any class up to a useable level over several days. Once you get to 60 you get another snappy "normal raids" queue that is like Trials, one shot boss fights. As you get past certain caps you can do group content that a healer would be welcome at. 70 and 80 have big open world throwback zones, partyfinder is full of groups of people doing older content, sometimes at level and so on.

You can pvp from 30 if you progress the job quest to getting the stone at 30, all classes have a distinct and different flavor in pvp and healers do get to support others but on short cooldowns, i.e. doing your big damage spike gives party members near you shields or regen, or you get 2 charges of single target heal every 8-15 seconds. PvP healing revolves a lot around burning your own MP as every class and player to recuperate yourself but healer support helps a lot.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I played healer from the start of ARR through 6.0, predominantly WHM and switching to SGE for Endwalker. It's definitely less "active" than other classes for a lot of it but I found it decently meditative, and by Stormblood the solo MSQ instances start having interesting challenges for healers.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(This being said I'm doing the 6.x content as RDM, although I'll probably switch back to WHM for 7.0)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the fun of playing healer in dungeons is seeing how close to death you can let the tank get before healing them OR getting a tank that doesn't run cooldowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If you're not feeling conjurer/white mage, at least at 70 you can switch to Sage and shoot two different kinds of lazers at mobs.