Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

John F Bennett posted:

Antstream just released, anyone subscribed? I bought the lifetime pass and will test this out tonight.

Just played some random games for half an hour, performance is flawless. Works very well and switching games is superfast.

Great addition to my box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

lol turning off allow 50hz and 24hz fixed it. I'll be damned

Maybe this is the same issue I was having, I’ll have to give that a go. Might be something different though as I rented a couple of things from the Xbox store - ended up getting a refund. The stutter was so bad it would pause the film, and the sound would continue. I was outraged.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
HDR owns in GTA V, those sunsets gently caress

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Antstream just released, anyone subscribed? I bought the lifetime pass and will test this out tonight.

No, I've got too many things to play already, but I'm interested. Tell us if you find some gems.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

HDR looked cool in Half-Life 2 Lost Coast and that's it

Different kind of HDR. HL2s HDR was a feature where a the brightness of the image adjusted to the brightest light visible, so a powerful light source would darken the rest of the image to simulate the exposure.

Modern HDR is a 10bit colour space (that is 10 bits per colour as opposed to the traditional 8, or 30bits from 24bits all up), allowing for less colour banding and improved luminance (brights can be brighter, darks can be more detailed).

The catch is that not all TVs are equal at displaying it due to different peak brightnesses, which has been rather frustrating. A display can be HDR capable in name only but ultimately have no means of showing any difference, if not just outright make it worse.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
the xsx menus look much better with hdr enabled than without. eat that, QOP!!!

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Crafty posted:

Maybe this is the same issue I was having, I’ll have to give that a go. Might be something different though as I rented a couple of things from the Xbox store - ended up getting a refund. The stutter was so bad it would pause the film, and the sound would continue. I was outraged.

mine only ever happened with discs, but it's worth a shot.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ColdPie posted:

No, I've got too many things to play already, but I'm interested. Tell us if you find some gems.

For me, the main gem is the entire Amiga section. We were a C64 family and I always wanted to have an Amiga, those games looked so good in the magazines! Outside of that, the Arcade and Sega sections also have a great selection.

What is really nice, are the added features. Such as global leaderboards, weekly tournaments and challenges.

I've been testing out the service this entire morning, I'm a big fan now. I highly recommend it if you're into retro stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Different kind of HDR. HL2s HDR was a feature where a the brightness of the image adjusted to the brightest light visible, so a powerful light source would darken the rest of the image to simulate the exposure.

Modern HDR is a 10bit colour space (that is 10 bits per colour as opposed to the traditional 8, or 30bits from 24bits all up), allowing for less colour banding and improved luminance (brights can be brighter, darks can be more detailed).

The catch is that not all TVs are equal at displaying it due to different peak brightnesses, which has been rather frustrating. A display can be HDR capable in name only but ultimately have no means of showing any difference, if not just outright make it worse.

The issue with HDR is implementation like bloom and blur. They used and abused these two that I disable them by default since... almost 20 years ago? Doesn't happen often nowadays but years ago bloom was just "gently caress your eyes" and blur was "everything is blurry if you dare to move an inch". So my old brain hates that now and maybe only Forza Horizon is the only game where blur was implemented well enough to make me keep it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lego Batman in 4K HDR looked nice.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
HDR looks great on my TV but makes every screenshot and video I take look like poo. They should convert captures correct.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

lol turning off allow 50hz and 24hz fixed it. I'll be damned

Turning off 24hz is a big no thanks, I'm never going back to repeating every 4th frame of a movie.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Turning off 24hz is a big no thanks, I'm never going back to repeating every 4th frame of a movie.

haven't tried watching a full movie yet but i just got the criterion lost highway uhd/BR pack and I've got a few weeks before i have to actually go back to work. let's see what happens.

American McGay posted:

HDR looks great on my TV but makes every screenshot and video I take look like poo. They should convert captures correct.

good hell it does.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Apparently Michael Kirkbride worked on immortals of avenum. He’s why the morrowind story was so good

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

^^what the gently caress

Anyway, I've had HDR on this tv since a few years. At first, it was great and all the colours were very vivid, and sunsets in Sea of Thieves were amazing.

Now I kinda dislike it, since even at the lowest setting, the horizon is completely blown out and I can't see things in the distance. Not sure how to disable it for just one game. :(

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I finally did it. I bought Alien Dark Descent. It's just a ton of fun and I'm hoping they get around to fixing the bugs.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Now I kinda dislike it, since even at the lowest setting, the horizon is completely blown out and I can't see things in the distance. Not sure how to disable it for just one game. :(

Which game? Sounds like you might need to go into the game's HDR settings and reduce max brightness. If a game overestimates how bright your display can get then that can lead to loss of detail in bright areas, since everything gets flattened down to your display's max. I love how HDR looks on my LG OLED, but it does require you to take each game's HDR calibration settings seriously.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's Sea of Thieves, and it's already at the lowest setting possible. I've seen some people say you can configure the screenshot button as a shortcut to turn on Night mode, and then configure Night mode to be the same as normal, except with HDR disabled. That sounds good.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Well that's a bummer. Sometimes HDR implementations just suck. I had to spend like an hour fiddling with RDR2's HDR calibration on PC to get it to look right, and I hear at launch its HDR was unfixable garbage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RDR2 HDR wasn’t working properly at launch.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

Apparently Michael Kirkbride worked on immortals of avenum. He’s why the morrowind story was so good

thank god they concealed that adult male nipple

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Are the perks from ultimate account locked or can I give the codes out? Not interested in crunchy roll but my friends might want it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guillermus posted:

The issue with HDR is implementation like bloom and blur. They used and abused these two that I disable them by default since... almost 20 years ago? Doesn't happen often nowadays but years ago bloom was just "gently caress your eyes" and blur was "everything is blurry if you dare to move an inch". So my old brain hates that now and maybe only Forza Horizon is the only game where blur was implemented well enough to make me keep it.

Bloom and blur doesn't have anything to do with HDR.

Those are just post effects. I do agree that they got overused to hell and back.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
For some reason my achievement art isn't loading. Could this have something to do with my new TV?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Could this have something to do with my new TV?

absolutely not

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Well it's fixed now so whatever. BTW I has having trouble getting full auto kills in Halo for the quest then all of a sudden I get like 17 of them in one game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do you think I could get a goon group for Exoprimal? I want to do they "Kill 20 dinos without a suit" but it feels kind of wrong to do that with randos.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
There's an Exoprimal thread here, I bet you could find someone there

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lammasu posted:

Do you think I could get a goon group for Exoprimal? I want to do they "Kill 20 dinos without a suit" but it feels kind of wrong to do that with randos.

Is that actually good? It looks bad and I hear it makes a negative first impression, but apparently there's actually something there?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Twerk from Home posted:

Is that actually good? It looks bad and I hear it makes a negative first impression, but apparently there's actually something there?

I'm working on a theory that the reason they didn't make a new Dino Crisis is because someone at Capcom really hates dinosaurs and demanded a game where you kill as many as possible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a pretty chill action game, but also really shallow. Looking forward to the Capcom crossovers and more content that is planned.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lammasu posted:

I'm working on a theory that the reason they didn't make a new Dino Crisis is because someone at Capcom really hates dinosaurs and demanded a game where you kill as many as possible.

I played a ton Dino Crisis 2 and you aren't exactly preserving dinosaurs in that game either

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I played a ton Dino Crisis 2 and you aren't exactly preserving dinosaurs in that game either

Exoprimal has an achievement for killing a hundred thousand dinosaurs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Exoprimal has an achievement for killing a hundred thousand dinosaurs.

Does the achievement reference Dead Rising by any chance?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Twerk from Home posted:

It’s great, the game really opens up after a few matches and you get a bunch of new game modes, dinosaur types, and story missions. It’s extremely dumb in all the best ways. Definitely oddly priced considering the monetization, but it’s perfect if you get it for free on Game Pass.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Bloom and blur doesn't have anything to do with HDR.

Those are just post effects. I do agree that they got overused to hell and back.

I know, my point was that, because of the awful implementation of these back in the days (and HDR as of recent years) make me look for the toggle to disable it by default.

Back to bloom/blur, the only games that I've ever tolerated both at the same time are the RE Engine Resident Evil games I've played (RE2make, RE3make, RE7 so far). They run so good on my ancient PC that after testing one by one, I only keep disabling chromatic aberration because that's another one that never looks good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Illusive Man posted:

either way the CMA said they’d be done by Aug. 29th at the latest so I guess that’s the new unofficial close date

I read that now the UK is demanding companies hand over keys for E2E encryption and Apple etc. are just considering leaving the market, I think? Reasoning being that any company that does so would essentially be crippling their worldwide security if they complied. Wild how anti-consumer the UK is. Kinda surprised Microsoft hasn't just decided to close the deal with no concessions since the UK market is so small and shrinking further.

Also had no idea Elden Ring had DLC coming?! Hope we get a trailer soon.

Speaking of, a new one for Mortal Kombat dropped and it's wild how good the game looks. The roster has looked a bit boring imo aside from this new trailer but drat do the graphics look nice :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMkPL8ji6K4

DLC characters revealed too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBv-ANFeYM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll definately wait for the complete edition. I don't play much MK lately besides the single player and a bunch of matches with friends but I do enjoy the silly cameos and I hope Omniman, Homelander and Peacemaker have some cool interactions.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Probably wise but could be pretty painful when hopping online and getting stomped by everyone who's been playing since launch. I think the fighting genre is one where if you're interested in a game it's generally best to buy at launch for that reason. With singleplayer games you can wait years and years but I think it's a tougher call with multiplayer games.

I'm bummed some of the new characters from Mortal Kombat X were dropped so quickly. I liked the insect woman and that giant character with the little guy working as one. They really stood out. Not sure how much support MK1 will get but there seems to be a heavy focus on having a lot of the different colored ninjas forming a bulk of the roster which seems a bit boring.

Still looks phenomenal and definitely appears to be as fun as ever but I think they could have gone with a much more diverse and exciting roster. Why have Goro as a kameo when he could be part of the roster itself?! Maybe he is and it's not announced yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Why have Goro as a kameo when he could be part of the roster itself?! Maybe he is and it's not announced yet?
Being a Kameo doesn't rule out being playable - there are multiple characters who've been shown (Scorpion, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero) who have both playable and Kameo versions - the playable ones are fancy new-universe redesigns while the kameos are retro versions based on their first appearance.