Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I'm sure there's a certain amount of filtering, the Zhuangzi Speaks Mx.'s mermaid penis cruelty comics seem to mostly be wisdom that's aged pretty well. Does feel like it's philosophy and observations that come from a place of empathy and thoughtfulness, with an emphasis on subjectivity and the diversity of the human experience as well as clearly a love of the natural world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mx. posted:

i don't usually post my comics in this thread because they're mostly furry and i got the anxiety.

but hey here's a comic i drew about mermaids, originally for an anthology submission but since it got rejected i finished it up quick for fun

I like the penis comic

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Mx. posted:

i don't usually post my comics in this thread because they're mostly furry and i got the anxiety.

but hey here's a comic i drew about mermaids, originally for an anthology submission but since it got rejected i finished it up quick for fun

Alt: maybe they're just under a lot of pressure

(Crudely converted to png and censored by me. Eh.)

SimonChris posted:

Valhalla

See, it was just the gods cosplaying as their favorite Marvel characters, so that makes it fair use or something.

Well, I didn't see that coming. All's well that ends well, though I was expecting the idiot brothers to come to a slightly stickier end.

Edit:
Oh yeah, and it turned out it was Odin who tried the lindwurm gambit after all, not Loki in disguise. Classic Odin, what a dick.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jul 21, 2023

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

Nice!

There's a 't' missing from the word 'bet' in the first comic's song.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Emzedoh posted:

Seems about right, yeah. Less 'Behold, I teach you the Overman' and more 'Maybe you'll be happier in life if you think about it this way', right?

Pretty much. The takes on Confucius are also fun; less of a skewering and more of a discourse, about when the teachings of Confucius can definitely apply and when you need to have a more open mind. As said, seems like a philosophy for navigating a fractally complex and often chaotic world when you're traditionally taught very strict rules of how to think and how to act.

Also think the lessons of 'other people have different feelings, thoughts and needs from you, and even if you want to help them you have to understand them first' are definitely things people still need to learn. Does seem like a theme isn't about people being stupid, usually, but people doing what seems sensible and logical to them, and would to most people in the same position, but doesn't work out because they haven't considered the whole picture.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Zhuangzi Speaks, and the art style is really charming. I was vaguely tempted to snag the long-snouted "inauspicious" pig for an avatar.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much. The takes on Confucius are also fun; less of a skewering and more of a discourse, about when the teachings of Confucius can definitely apply and when you need to have a more open mind. As said, seems like a philosophy for navigating a fractally complex and often chaotic world when you're traditionally taught very strict rules of how to think and how to act.

Also think the lessons of 'other people have different feelings, thoughts and needs from you, and even if you want to help them you have to understand them first' are definitely things people still need to learn. Does seem like a theme isn't about people being stupid, usually, but people doing what seems sensible and logical to them, and would to most people in the same position, but doesn't work out because they haven't considered the whole picture.

Zhuangzi is definitely the understanding kindergarten teacher of philosophers, it's true. Life is hard, we're doing our best, we screw up, Zhuangzi gets it. There's no need to go charging around acting like you know the best way to do everything, handing down judgements from the mount. Take a moment to breath, to laugh.

Yeah, Zhuangzi Speaks is great and I'm grateful for it.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 28

Takako-san chapter 29
Takako gets down with the sickness.

I'm thinking we've all been there - feverish, totally lost in your head thinking about things you can do squat about. I really am starting to treasure the checkerboard end-pages, though. At first, it was just a panel from the chapter, but now they're like little epilogues.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Emzedoh posted:

I really am starting to treasure the checkerboard end-pages, though. At first, it was just a panel from the chapter, but now they're like little epilogues.

They're pretty great

Mandarins. Mandarins.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love Zhuangzi Speaks. I recently got the privilege of talking with someone who does actual research into the philosophy and texts and I've been meaning to read the book since, but until I get down to do that, the comics are great at letting me understand a bit about why he's a big deal. It seems that for a professional philosopher with Western training in contemporary ethics and politics there's a lot of really exciting ideas there that could contribute a lot to that paradigm! He comes across as very ancient and very contemporary, even postmodern, which, yeah, probably why he's a true classic.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They're pretty great

Mandarins. Mandarins.

Mandarins.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Aug 25-Sept 1, 1940)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Fagtastic posted:

So we get results like this:

(from the same paper)

I can't remember what these charts are actually called and my brain always helpfully supplies 'vulva graph'

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

I can't remember what these charts are actually called and my brain always helpfully supplies 'vulva graph'

Violin graphs, iirc. Which really feels like trying to find the first other suitable word when your brain is screaming vulva.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tenebrais posted:

Violin graphs, iirc. Which really feels like trying to find the first other suitable word when your brain is screaming vulva.

Lol, it really does.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Val's iconic necklace (he still has it in the modern strips).

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

penis cruelty comics

lmao

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: pathetic

quote:

Full Size
Alt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZYGuUGvUA

Alright, cool, next one's gonna be a really big post because it was just one update in the comic as well

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Anyone explain that update for dumb old me

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Full Size

Anyway, it had to be done

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Donald Duck - Ekol's Pendulum

Next on Obscure Donald Duck Literary Adaptations, we have an adaptation of that classic children's novel, Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco. This is one my favorite novels, so I am happy that a proper Donald Duck version is available. Translation by Calisota Dreaming.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

While it does get explained more in time, Solomon more or less burned himself out in an attempt to kill or at least trap Jagganoth in a

Anyway, it had to be done

giant basketball. The exact consequences of this will come up later

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fagtastic posted:

(from the same paper)
This was all genuinely incredibly interesting but why was the trans woman chart drawn by Q-rais

Splicer has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Jul 21, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Now that's so fitting it seems almost on purpose.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

He's throwing everything he has at Jagganoth. He has a brief moment where he imagines his late wife and daughters, the ones whose deaths started him on this road, judging him because it's still not enough. So he's throwing himself and Jagganoth together into some sort of black hole.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

He's throwing everything he has at Jagganoth. He has a brief moment where he imagines his late wife and daughters, the ones whose deaths started him on this road, judging him because it's still not enough. So he's throwing himself and Jagganoth together into some sort of black hole.

See, I interpreted them as judging him for taking this path in the first place. Like, his family died as a result of brutal violence and conquest and his answer was to become a universal lord of violence and conquest. How many people have had their own families destroyed in Solomon's wake? And then in the end he's been reduced to using all his power "as you would an especially sharp rock." It is pretty pathetic

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kit Walker posted:

See, I interpreted them as judging him for taking this path in the first place. Like, his family died as a result of brutal violence and conquest and his answer was to become a universal lord of violence and conquest. How many people have had their own families destroyed in Solomon's wake? And then in the end he's been reduced to using all his power "as you would an especially sharp rock." It is pretty pathetic

I guess it depends on how self aware you read him as, in this moment. I could go either way. Or maybe a mix of both, I love when people's feelings are confused and contradictory.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

SimonChris posted:

Donald Duck - Ekol's Pendulum

Next on Obscure Donald Duck Literary Adaptations, we have an adaptation of that classic children's novel, Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

This is an absolutely insane sentence. I knew the European Duckiverse was miles beyond but holy poo poo.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

GhastlyBizness posted:

This is an absolutely insane sentence. I knew the European Duckiverse was miles beyond but holy poo poo.

The same writer also did The Name of the Rose, but it stars time-travelling Mickey Mouse, so I haven't decided if I am going to post it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

But he really should have just stepped aside and left all the civlians to their fates.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the most recent comics, with which we are not yet caught up, strongly indicate that this is functionally what he did. the empire has collapsed because it all hinged on Big Daddy Solomon, and everything's quite hosed

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the most recent comics, with which we are not yet caught up, strongly indicate that this is functionally what he did. the empire has collapsed because it all hinged on Big Daddy Solomon, and everything's quite hosed

Yeah given how many combat psychos fill the universe, the moment you don't have someone who can kill them in 1v1 combat your society will be dismembered in weeks.

If only he had spent thousands of years looking for someone badass enough to act as a military deterrant in his stead, real lack of forethought there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

well my old danish magazine collection is a pain in the rear end to leaf through (half of them dont even have story indexes on the first couple pages) but i did manage to find a short that Peter Madsen did in the mid 80s when he was a med student on a trip to Greenland. its like 10 pages so itll take a while to scan, clean up & translate

for now, heres the cover (much more dramatic than the down to earth slice of life story within):

("kulørte sider" means "colored pages" in danish; the logo design is an obvious homage to metal hurlant/heavy metal)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Jul 21, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah given how many combat psychos fill the universe, the moment you don't have someone who can kill them in 1v1 combat your society will be dismembered in weeks.

If only he had spent thousands of years looking for someone badass enough to act as a military deterrant in his stead, real lack of forethought there.

He could have acted as a deterrent without being a total dictator. The point is that all his fascist bullshit and staged tournaments ultimately lead to the same result as letting people have self rule. Dude could have just spent his time doing Ki Rata stances on a mountain as a kind of living ICBM

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dude could have just spent his time doing Ki Rata stances on a mountain as a kind of living ICBM

I love the sentences this thread produces

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

First, most of the multiverse is still blissfully unaware of combat psychos and doing just fine.

Second, life brutally sucks for everybody under the "protection" of their own combat psycho.

Third, the tournament was always more about stifling threats than about finding an alternative.

I think you're reading the wrong comic if you want a story about how more violence is always the answer.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

He could have acted as a deterrent without being a total dictator. The point is that all his fascist bullshit and staged tournaments ultimately lead to the same result as letting people have self rule. Dude could have just spent his time doing Ki Rata stances on a mountain as a kind of living ICBM
Or hell, he could've taught someone else the techniques that let him beat everyone. He could've had some sort of tournament or bureaucratic test or SOMETHING to find people who wouldn't be complete assholes to train, rather than having a giant murderbowl where he personally executed the finalists with zero chance at their victory! He could've even - if he was very, very paranoid and something of a deceitful rear end in a top hat - held back some of the most lethal poo poo so he'd still be able to handle anyone that turned out like he did.
But he didn't do any of that or anything else because he didn't ultimately trust anyone but himself in any way, ever, and thus chose at every turn to cement himself as the only option for everything. He was even more inflexible than the monks that watched Rayuba get destroyed the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He even appointed himself (iirc) as the lead demiurge