Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i thought moira was canonically bi but tbf theres literally no evidence ive seen for that so i either just assumed that from her david bowie skin or they just went 'oh yeah btw..." somewhere and didnt bother to put any supporting voice lines or lore.

its the most insulting kind of pandering because you know someone somewhere is absolutely terrified at the idea of having to write an evil queer person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Like, cmon man, you can't tell me Moira is straight.

Moira ain't got no time for pesky human emotions, it'll get in the way of the SCIENCE. She only goes for Omnics.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
drat Mircosoft is fast

https://twitter.com/Steam/status/1681722033162584064

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

"Critically acclaimed" my rear end in a top hat

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

having to manage both bnet and steam communities should qualify as an occupational hazard

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Completely unrelated news.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It’s a poo poo game that deserves to die op

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jack Trades posted:

We all knew that, but it's still surprising to actually see them admit that there's a problem.

Fortunately for them, PvE should help them earn back some of the goodwill they've burned away.

*holds finger to earpiece* Oh dear... :ohdear:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I thought it was more this

https://twitter.com/esports/status/1681648061368397824

RIP Overwatch League, you completely destroyed local competitive OW groups and then proceeded to do nothing with it

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SirKibbles posted:

RIP Overwatch League, you completely destroyed local competitive OW groups and then proceeded to do nothing with it

Shiiiit, RIP in piss. At least I got McDonald's Reaper and Trans Pride Flag Ashe & Bob out of the deal.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I remember when they first announced the OWL (and muscled all the smaller local groups out) and everyone here was in agreement that they'd kill it like they did Starcraft

edit: Holy hell they didn't tell them

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1681701774200299520

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1681706819310473216

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

They didn't tell Team 4 specifically, that person is from the dev team. The people who were let go were told yesterday.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

what a loving bummer. i wasn't a huge OWL booster or anything, but i caught games here and there and thought they could have something with longevity if they hadn't gone about it in the most horrendous "shoveling money into black hole" way possible

maybe it'll lead to the return of small local leagues, at least. the OCE scene in league died out and got resurrected as an ESL tournament, and i can see something similar happening here

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow...so it's going REALLY poorly for OW2 huh?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hope battlebits maintains a higher player count

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Vermain posted:

what a loving bummer. i wasn't a huge OWL booster or anything, but i caught games here and there and thought they could have something with longevity if they hadn't gone about it in the most horrendous "shoveling money into black hole" way possible

Yeah. Early OWL was really fun, when everything was being figured out.
Spreading from LA to around the world just before the covid was a huge mistake.

Oh well. There's still the regular pvp, although I haven't touched the game in months due to playing other games.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I think it will get a new influx of players but I don’t think it’s going to be a dramatic increase. Battle.net isn’t the epic store, I’m sure a lot of people had accounts for Diablo, WoW or StarCraft.

They put all of their time and energy into e-sports and now they have a game that isn’t really that good. I still prefer 6v6.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

things dont die when you shoot them is the central problem of the game

5v5 or 6v6 is a red herring, but they definitely doubled down on this design philosophy by making tank so impossible to kill shooting them is one of the #1 mistakes you can do in the game lmao

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah that's why snipers and burst damage were so important, because burst healing and utility 'E' abilities (e.g. suzu, lamp, bionade, dare I say lifegrip and maybe even rez) are too strong but needs to be strong because otherwise nobody would want to play support. It's a viscous cycle where everyone feels impotent but the other is too strong

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 20, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

novaSphere posted:

Yeah that's why snipers and burst damage were so important, because burst healing and utility abilities (e.g. suzu, lamp, bionade, dare I say rez) are too strong but needs to be strong because otherwise nobody would want to play support. It's a viscous cycle where everyone feels impotent but the other is too strong

You don't think Hanzo and Widow fill those roles still? Feels like players who have adapted can still deliver those burst kills, especially if the team can get that initial 25-50% damage on an enemy.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I probably shouldn't have used past-tense here, but yes, I do think Hanzo and Widow (and Cass to a lesser degree) fill that role of being able to secure a kill ASAP because otherwise the target is back at full HP again if the supports know what they're doing. It's a bitter pill to swallow because I am vehemently against oneshots and the existence of anything resembling the team fortress sniper archetype. Also I main support.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

healing really should have been a limited thing that was either on a hard cooldown for clutches or had a mechanic ala moira that required you to be in the thick of things to charge it. even MOBAs eventually figured out that unlimited free healing severely stifled any kind of gameplay that wasn't instant hard engage oneshots and changed accordingly

probably too hard to unring that bell at this point, since changing it would have systemic effects far greater than even the loss of one tank and a bunch of barriers, but OW2 gameplay truly feels like you're just shooting at an old car in the desert hoping it'll eventually explode

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

You can still eat tanks as a dps sometimes, in my home trash tiers at least - ill still take reaper against hog, and with soj can usually wreck jq... bastion eats rein (i dont play bastion but i do play rein, and get eaten by him)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't want to be mean but you guys must not be landing shots if you feel like things don't die when you shoot them. ttk is as low as it's ever been, playing Soldier or Sojourn or McCree and poo poo melts

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

shoot the mercy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I feel like I have to constantly remind my dps of that fact. "We should be focusing their supports" I type in teamchat, as everyone unloads into a fortified Orisa with a mercy pocket.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't want to be mean but you guys must not be landing shots if you feel like things don't die when you shoot them. ttk is as low as it's ever been, playing Soldier or Sojourn or McCree and poo poo melts
I think they mean shooting tanks who are being healed, that often does feel futile unless the entire team is doing it. Especially back when Mercy had her below 50% healing speed supercharge, that was insane.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Assepoester posted:

I think they mean shooting tanks who are being healed, that often does feel futile unless the entire team is doing it. Especially back when Mercy had her below 50% healing speed supercharge, that was insane.

Yeah no loving poo poo. That's literally the whole point of a Tank.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Except it used to be you could actually burst them if you caught them out.

Meanwhile now all the popular tanks can press a button, get a superboost of health/armour/shield and walk out to safety. There's a reason everyone just ignores the tanks.

Even as a "tank role" they just get played like fat dps now. I'm not "tanking" when I play dva, i'm just deleting some poor bastard every time my rockets are up. I don't "Tank" as orisa, I just press my abilities, box some poor gently caress into a corner and delete them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Things aren't dying because the enemy Ana has zero pressure and your tank can't push or dive without being slept and naded, so he has to play defensively while the DPS is hanging back poking ineffectually.

For all the poo poo Zenyatta gets for Discord I feel like Ana is way more suffocating to play against.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

Except it used to be you could actually burst them if you caught them out.

Meanwhile now all the popular tanks can press a button, get a superboost of health/armour/shield and walk out to safety. There's a reason everyone just ignores the tanks.

Even as a "tank role" they just get played like fat dps now. I'm not "tanking" when I play dva, i'm just deleting some poor bastard every time my rockets are up. I don't "Tank" as orisa, I just press my abilities, box some poor gently caress into a corner and delete them.

You're not wrong.
It's just that all of that is the result of them trying to pander to DPS players in the first place by removing one of the Tanks so that DPS players get slightly better queue times. Along with all of the other terrible changes in OW2 that are all aimed towards either pandering to DPS players or scamming people out of their money.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i played soldier only [who sucked] to gm solo queue a couple seasons ago

it's just not fun or intuitive the way you have to specifically play to get value.

getting constant absurd disgusting beams on people was just not rewarding since they could tuck and full reset in literally 2 seconds unless you got a full flank or they were too stupid to tuck.

playing other fps games where shooting people means they have to give up tons of space for a long time or just die is a lot funner.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

isndl posted:

Things aren't dying because the enemy Ana has zero pressure and your tank can't push or dive without being slept and naded, so he has to play defensively while the DPS is hanging back poking ineffectually.

For all the poo poo Zenyatta gets for Discord I feel like Ana is way more suffocating to play against.

As a Ana player this is absolutely true, but also a proper dive comp will just ruin my loving day. Oh here comes Munky and Tracer, looks like I'm loving dead/swapping out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

As a Ana player this is absolutely true, but also a proper dive comp will just ruin my loving day. Oh here comes Munky and Tracer, looks like I'm loving dead/swapping out.

Nah its cool my teams gonna play hanzo and fire at a corner all day hoping you'll eventually walk round it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in the ow2 beta i recall that i was playing ana.

i hit an enemy zen like literally 8-10 times in a row without missing a single shot and i had to hit every single shot to kill him b/c a mercy was healing him

there's just something seriously wrong w/ how the game works lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

comedyblissoption posted:

i hit an enemy zen like literally 8-10 times in a row without missing a single shot and i had to hit every single shot to kill him b/c a mercy was healing him

Isn't Ana's whole thing that she can throw an object that makes it so nothin can heal you for a few seconds and also has a sleep dart

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

Uhh...what? You were completely monopolizing Mercy's healing, meaning that she couldn't heal anyone else, meaning that the rest of your team was completely free to kill anyone else with only Zen's healing to compensate for their damage.

Yes, you didn't get the good brain chemicals from the *ping* sound of a kill, but this is a team game, not motherfucking Call of Duty. If you want CoD then go play CoD instead of complaining that other game's aren't like it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Monkey by himself struggles, but if he's going in with teammates then yeah sure. Of course with that level of coordination things are probably dying regardless of your healing focus.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...what? You were completely monopolizing Mercy's healing, meaning that she couldn't heal anyone else, meaning that the rest of your team was completely free to kill anyone else with only Zen's healing to compensate for their damage.

Yes, you didn't get the good brain chemicals from the *ping* sound of a kill, but this is a team game, not motherfucking Call of Duty. If you want CoD then go play CoD instead of complaining that other game's aren't like it.

Nah gently caress that healings overtuned as poo poo.

"Fights take too long, lets never meaningfully nerf healing because the support players are sad" is a trash decision by the devs. If a support character is out in the open and getting shot to poo poo, they should die. The skill difference between "hit every shot on a player" and "hold left click" should matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not just support players. DPS lose their goddamn minds if they are less than full health for more than 20 seconds