Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
What if vampires could fly even without a mount. Also just like in True Blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

One of VC's corpse carts should be replaced with a trebuchet that either does a poison cloud on hit (burster) or just hucks a rain of zombies (disintegrating zomball). Hell, make the poison one an RoR for the regular. It's right there.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dev update on 4.0 :

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1142710/view/3664291964248626227

TLDR: Achievements in immortal empires (just for winning the campaign, pretty lame) , Starting missions for immortal empires, New difficulty slider for Battle Mode thats specifically for additional stats the AI gets, More landmarks in IE. More dev updates on the way, they've said they're going with more smaller news updates this time around

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 21, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
VC not having ranged attacks was kind of essential to their balance. Those bloodline crossbowmen aren’t really available in meaningful numbers (or weren’t last time I played in WH2).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shumagorath posted:

VC not having ranged attacks was kind of essential to their balance. Those bloodline crossbowmen aren’t really available in meaningful numbers (or weren’t last time I played in WH2).
Make it the end of the cav-buffing bloodline then! I just think it's neat and have been staring at (and bat-murdering) Bret trebuchets all campaign over here and thinking, why not me lord.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Chad Jihad posted:

Dev update on 4.0 :

TLDR: Achievements in immortal empires (just for winning the campaign, pretty lame) , Starting missions for immortal empires, New difficulty slider for Battle Mode thats specifically for additional stats the AI gets, More landmarks in IE. More dev updates on the way, they've said they're going with more smaller news updates this time around

Welp, goodbye 100% cheevo completion, it was nice knowing you.

The new achievements having to be done with both legendary and specifically IE is a little frustrating.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Make it the end of the cav-buffing bloodline then! I just think it's neat and have been staring at (and bat-murdering) Bret trebuchets all campaign over here and thinking, why not me lord.

Then go make allies.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hunt11 posted:

Then go make allies.

But they have all their blood in them and I want it :(

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
me getting ready to unironically do a legendary campaign for every faction

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
All the Lizardmen are getting pissed off at my Grimgor, and man, they really let you feel the Greenskins' relative lack of decent high-tier ranged, decent high-tier cavalry, or anti-large

especially Nakai and his Blessed doomstack all up in my poo poo, he's ground through two of my stacks in two turns

At the end of the day this is just petty whining, since I'm rich as hell and can afford to drown them in a sea of Black Orcs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I find that the green skin monsters fulfill the same role as cavalry for most needs.

Their anti-large is really bad tho. Orc boar boy biguns are the closest you get to end game anti-large, and they are not adequate to take on dinos.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Welp, goodbye 100% cheevo completion, it was nice knowing you.

The new achievements having to be done with both legendary and specifically IE is a little frustrating.

quote:

Each playable race from Total War: WARHAMMER I and II (and Chaos Dwarfs!) are receiving two achievements – one for completing the Immortal Empires campaign, and one for completing the campaign on Very Hard or Legendary.

the requirements for winning a campaign is the same as WH2. they've always been vh / legendary. as for the requirement of being IE :shrug: you already have cheevos for winning a campaign with base WH3 factions

so who would you be playing that's RoC that doesn't already have an achievement for winning?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the thing that Immortal Empires needs more than anything is faster load and turn times. I know I can play Realm of Chaos but then I have to deal with its crappy mechanics and the fact that the best factions aren't in it.

As a test, I started up the launcher and hit the "continue campaign" button on my turn 27 Empire game. From hitting the button to the game loading was 87 seconds. Loading a small battle with twenty total units took 35 seconds.

I'm running a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz with 16 GB of RAM - are these numbers similar to what other people get?

Edit: Should specify it's on an SSD.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 21, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is this building for WOC bugged? I have about 10-11 of these fully upgraded in my Be'Lakor campaign, my lord recruit rank is 15 atm, but my hero recruit ranks are still 2 for exalted heroes and 4 for sorcerers, which it has been for about 80% of the campaign.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Gort posted:

I think the thing that Immortal Empires needs more than anything is faster load and turn times. I know I can play Realm of Chaos but then I have to deal with its crappy mechanics and the fact that the best factions aren't in it.

As a test, I started up the launcher and hit the "continue campaign" button on my turn 27 Empire game. From hitting the button to the game loading was 87 seconds. Loading a small battle with twenty total units took 35 seconds.

I'm running a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz with 16 GB of RAM - are these numbers similar to what other people get?

Edit: Should specify it's on an SSD.

hahahahaha.....you must be new here.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you remember the bad old days on wh2 it does feel seriously snippy. and prolly the devs have that ol normalization of deviance thing going on where they have institutional memory of The Time When It Was Slow As poo poo And We Fixed It, and objective measures are less welcome than relative ones

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you remember the bad old days on wh2 it does feel seriously snippy

yeah I'm not trying to be mean, but it used to be drastically worse, they already did a pass and massively increased the speeds.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Is this building for WOC bugged? I have about 10-11 of these fully upgraded in my Be'Lakor campaign, my lord recruit rank is 15 atm, but my hero recruit ranks are still 2 for exalted heroes and 4 for sorcerers, which it has been for about 80% of the campaign.

It isn't a factionwide bonus so it will always just be plus one in that particular region maybe province.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

It isn't a factionwide bonus so it will always just be plus one in that particular region maybe province.

Oh I see. I assumed it would be factionwide, less because of the phrasing itself and more because A: that is a pretty poo poo building for T5 if it is just local and B: how exactly ARE you supposed to boost your hero recruit rank?

Also, I have no idea what is boosting my lord recruit rank then, because it was at 1 before I started target-upgrading these and I don't think I've done anything else to get them to rank 15...

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

Dev update on 4.0 :

There's no way to say this without sounding bitter, but I mean it in the most positive way possible: I think we can more or less dismiss every "no" that the devs have said about future WH3 features because they have routinely said something was not possible or not coming and then bam all of a sudden it's coming as a feature. A few months back they said cheevos weren't coming at all because it wasn't possible to implement them. Then they said cheevos weren't coming because it would take way too much effort to make sure they work. Then they said cheevos wouldn't come because so many other things had priority. And now they say cheevos are coming.

So what I'm saying is get hyped for Ind, Kuresh, Araby, Amazons because they are all coming.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont think they said it was impossible, just harder than people realize so taking awhile

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh I see. I assumed it would be factionwide, less because of the phrasing itself and more because A: that is a pretty poo poo building for T5 if it is just local and B: how exactly ARE you supposed to boost your hero recruit rank?

Also, I have no idea what is boosting my lord recruit rank then, because it was at 1 before I started target-upgrading these and I don't think I've done anything else to get them to rank 15...

It could very well be a bug. There are a lot of them and things aren't always properly labeled. Usually it would say in parentheses what the effect points at but there are multiple instances elsewhere where it does not. Perhaps it points to the Lords factionwide and not heroes. Community Bug Fix does fix quite a few of these.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

I dont think they said it was impossible, just harder than people realize so taking awhile

IIRC they didn't say achievements were taking a while to come, they straight up said achievements were not coming at all.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

It could very well be a bug. There are a lot of them and things aren't always properly labeled. Usually it would say in parentheses what the effect points at but there are multiple instances elsewhere where it does not. Perhaps it points to the Lords factionwide and not heroes. Community Bug Fix does fix quite a few of these.

Yeah I have community bugfix and not much else installed, so it's a little annoying how many bugs or weird things I seem to be running into

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I'll jump back in with 4.0, looking forward to getting all the cheevos as a way to motivate me.

I got frustrated with the bugs in WH3 and it was good to take a break regardless.

Dev diary sounds good. Feels like it won't take too many mods to fill in the gaps.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Time to play "where did the autosave land between the 3 grinding battles I did off-turn, having crashed on 3rd of 3" everyone's game with no winners

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Big thing that has me hyped is divorcing Battle AI difficulty from the stat bonuses. I can't imagine it'll actually make them competent, but I'm interested in seeing what the upper levels of AI can bring.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Posting from a fight I'm in the middle of winning on triple speed (picture taken at 55m remaining, now I'm at 4m remaining without any change except more winds generated)

Defensive battles, "VH" AI, no problem.

If this wasn't the third of the 3 battles in that crashed-turn I might feel bad about doing it this way . Might.

Vagabong posted:

Big thing that has me hyped is divorcing Battle AI difficulty from the stat bonuses. I can't imagine it'll actually make them competent, but I'm interested in seeing what the upper levels of AI can bring.
Related to above: Same! It would be nice to get thinking machines without "their morale is unbreakable, yours is tissue paper."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I should do a thorgrim run

Anyone got any dorf mod recs? I found a few that look fun like crank gunners and some poo poo that gives you power armored irondrakes lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll bet that it's a lot funner to fight a dumb AI with strong units than it is to fight a really good AI with normal/lovely units.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

jokes posted:

I'll bet that it's a lot funner to fight a dumb AI with strong units than it is to fight a really good AI with normal/lovely units.
As a veteran of Rome 2 naval battles and Eugen’s Wargame franchise, it’s definitely this. AI micro can be arbitrarily good.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Scott Forstall posted:

I'll jump back in with 4.0, looking forward to getting all the cheevos as a way to motivate me.

I got frustrated with the bugs in WH3 and it was good to take a break regardless.

Dev diary sounds good. Feels like it won't take too many mods to fill in the gaps.

Is there any indication that bugs will be meaningfully fixed in 4.0, as opposed to all the other latest patches? I also effectively retired this game because of the bugs.

Edit: Game is dead.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Shumagorath posted:

AI micro can be arbitrarily good.
Yeah remember "smart" strategy game AI doesn't mean more unpredictable and human-like, it means predictable but able to micro in an inhuman way, like dodging artillery fire with multiple units at once.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Insurrectionist posted:

I think some techs can give that bonus.

Also, if you've got that many T5 buildings it sounds like you're pretty late in the campaign. If you've done short/long campaign objectives, those can give a pretty big boost to lord recruit ranks, though the specific rewards vary from faction to faction.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm playing with the Victory Conditions Overhaul mod, probably got most of them at this point though I haven't checked what bonuses they give. I'm about ready to finish up this campaign at this point.

Still I am curious now, how do WOC increase hero recruit rank? I have played factions with recruit ranks that are a pain to increase before but it's to the point where I figure I should have hit on at least some more +rank just by pure chance. After all I've got plenty of basically every building, I imagine I have some of every resource, almost all tech has been researched, I'm pretty sure none of the gifts of chaos you can allocate give meaningful recruit ranks...are WOC just supposed to never get +hero recruit rank or something?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Party In My Diapee posted:

Is there any indication that bugs will be meaningfully fixed in 4.0, as opposed to all the other latest patches? I also effectively retired this game because of the bugs.

Edit: Game is dead.

i'm hoping its better, but it has certainly gotten worse after major updates in the past.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Insurrectionist posted:

Still I am curious now, how do WOC increase hero recruit rank? I have played factions with recruit ranks that are a pain to increase before but it's to the point where I figure I should have hit on at least some more +rank just by pure chance. After all I've got plenty of basically every building, I imagine I have some of every resource, almost all tech has been researched, I'm pretty sure none of the gifts of chaos you can allocate give meaningful recruit ranks...are WOC just supposed to never get +hero recruit rank or something?

I'm not really answering your question, but you reminded me that pre-release people saw that aspiring champions could be upgraded into chaos spawn and mentioned it would be cool if doing so increased your hero cap by one, due to one of the aspiring champions actually making it.

Did anyone ever make a mod to do this?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sindai posted:

Yeah remember "smart" strategy game AI doesn't mean more unpredictable and human-like, it means predictable but able to micro in an inhuman way, like dodging artillery fire with multiple units at once.

Yeah, I've been so annoyed by good AI micro enough that on VH/L if there's enough cavalry/chariots, I'm just not going to play it myself and I'll take an AR loss.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If the units were limited to 10 or 15 it would probably be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Time to play "where did the autosave land between the 3 grinding battles I did off-turn, having crashed on 3rd of 3" everyone's game with no winners

There is a quicksave button on the right at the start of every battle whether on your turn or not.