Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

quote:

The very high temperatures are “feeding into a re-think of the harvests and what we produce and sell in Sardinia,” said Valeria Satta, regional government official in charge of agriculture. Warming trends over the past five years have led to a seasonal invasion of grasshoppers.

“Seasons have changed, completely,” Satta said. “We should brace for a very long summer.”

welp sometimes it trends towards locusts what're you're gonna do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Someone must have made a mistake, I was promised a long life with lots of opportunities for consumption and reproduction if I went to college and did well. This is not what I signed up for.

I used to be a doomer and degrowther. That was how we were trained in the environmental disciplines during my MS at Michigan and my PhD at UCLA. But once I started to learn about technology and disruption, which virtually none of my colleagues had any understanding of at all, my view of the future changed completely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1682089465890611213

I assume this has already been posted but lol it's literally off the charts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I finally analysed the thread survey results. I don't have time to make it a more readable image though, sorry

the response rate is about the same as last time (~100 responses) though with much less spam and poo poo, which made my job easier this time.

still, there's probably not enough data to draw any meaningful, statistically significant conclusions here, like whether a certain group is truly more or less hopeful about the future. but we can pretend. anyway hope you found it interesting!

edit: oh by the way, these are averages, not medians. i was comfortable using averages this time because there were no major outliers.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Car Hater posted:

Someone must have made a mistake, I was promised a long life with lots of opportunities for consumption and reproduction if I went to college and did well. This is not what I signed up for.

OooOOps!!!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Paradoxish posted:

haha this graph has crossed from mildly frightening to legitimately terrifying

lmao

to the moon, baby

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
2043 it is then. see you all in hell in 20 years.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
We won't be organized enough as a society to solve the year 2038 problem the way we did y2k.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

i was comfortable using averages this time because there were no major outliers.

this part is really interesting to me tbh

hard to really say it means a lot but it sure feels like if we're all converging on a relatively narrow range of dates there's a reason for it, but idk it's just a feeling

Mola Yam posted:

2043 it is then. see you all in hell in 20 years.

gonna start draining my savings in 2033

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We won't be organized enough as a society to solve the year 2038 problem the way we did y2k.

correction; 2028 or so

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

fascinating breakdown by age

nobody wants to imagine civilization outlive them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i find it very interesting that the people that want children are both the most doomer and most hopeful of the three groups

e: but yeah small sample size so maybe not going to read too much into that

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I want children specifically because I'll be setting up a constitutional monarchy in my Bartertown and will need to set term limits to appear fair but can get around this by using my bloodline to keep an ongoing series of puppet governments I control in charge of who gets rat pelts and water rations

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Car Hater posted:

sorry, no refunds. read the fine print

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Microplastics posted:

I finally analysed the thread survey results. I don't have time to make it a more readable image though, sorry

the response rate is about the same as last time (~100 responses) though with much less spam and poo poo, which made my job easier this time.

still, there's probably not enough data to draw any meaningful, statistically significant conclusions here, like whether a certain group is truly more or less hopeful about the future. but we can pretend. anyway hope you found it interesting!

edit: oh by the way, these are averages, not medians. i was comfortable using averages this time because there were no major outliers
Bullshit. There's no way I was the only one to call 2027 based on the thread favorite:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7003958882032766213

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
‘People need to be riled up’: meteorologist names US heatwaves after oil and gas giants

"this hypercane that's wiping out the eastern seaboard brougth to you by your friends at Shell"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We won't be organized enough as a society to solve the year 2038 problem the way we did y2k

our institutional problem-solving ability today is still enough to tell everyone to just turn the clocks back to 2000, but just barely

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
sorry my phone overheated while trying to film manmade horrors beyond my comprehension

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Soggy Muffin posted:

I was making my guacamole tonight and was using a plastic cutting board, just chopping up all my ingredients with added micro plastic particle flavors. Shout out to goon that told me to blend the lime and cilantro together into a cohesive slime. Came out great in my plastic food processor. Put the guac in plastic bowl and sealed it up with a PFA cling wrap. Living it up

Glad that worked out

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's no way there weren't people submitting "next year" for collapse, I need to see what trimming methodology was used before I could possibly accept that chart.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

FFT posted:

There's no way there weren't people submitting "next year" for collapse, I need to see what trimming methodology was used before I could possibly accept that chart.

it looks like each type of date (earliest, probable, latest) was individually averaged

mags
May 30, 2008

this society can still organize to achieve things but only stuff like demonizing trans people or attending a tswift superspreader concert. people can still come together but only when boycotting performative gay beer or lighting off explosives en masse in solidarity with the immolated boreal forest. it isn’t easy to maintain and administer the status quo, in fact it’s increasingly energy intensive.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tungsten posted:

it looks like each type of date (earliest, probable, latest) was individually averaged
That does make a sort of sense.

If that's the case, I'd like to request three more charts that each cover one of the expectation levels instead.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
We may collapse by 2030. We may collapse by 2040. Will Something Awful continue on beyond those years? I hope so, I want to keep on posting. I got another 10-20 years of posting left. That's an amazing, positive outlook. More charts! More dome! More lmao! The number is eternal.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

A Bad King posted:

We may collapse by 2030. We may collapse by 2040. Will Something Awful continue on beyond those years? I hope so, I want to keep on posting. I got another 10-20 years of posting left. That's an amazing, positive outlook. More charts! More dome! More lmao! The number is eternal.

the something awful of post collapse will be a dirt encrusted notebook where pepole just leave terrible written messages to one another, and it will be the best thing we have going on at the time

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the something awful of post collapse will be a dirt encrusted notebook where pepole just leave terrible written messages to one another, and it will be the best thing we have going on at the time

turns page to find a scribbled goatse

I mutter “no ring”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

there are no limits to human intelligence, imagination and wonder

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Microplastics posted:

edit: oh by the way, these are averages, not medians. i was comfortable using averages this time because there were no major outliers.

going to hunt you down and eat you for this when civilization collapses

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FFT posted:

Bullshit. There's no way I was the only one to call 2027 based on the thread favorite:

people like a nice round number but there's a startling density of guesses falling within this decade. there's also 6 posters who think the collapse is either already happening or will happen before the year is out.

Of course, the biggest caveat of all is that i let people define 'collapse' for themselves. If someone defines it as "internet stops being a thing" and someone else defines it as "average life expectancy across the globe hits 25" then they might pick different dates even if they completely agree on the timeline of specific things happening

Next thing i'm gonna do is trawl through those supplied definitions to look for some common themes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

training my dog to hunt data scientists

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Zodium posted:

training my dog to hunt data scientists

we've known about this for ~120 years and kept on the gas, so obviously knowing about the problem does nothing to solve it. they're the most useless members of the tribe and puppers gotta eat.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
re: podcasts i've been listening to cbc ideas lately which is replaying an old david suzuki radio program about climate change from 1989 and it's pretty surreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/david-suzuki-s-survival-guide-a-retrospective-1.6894102

30 years ago we were saying basically the same things we're saying now

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
humanity's collective shrug at climate change will be an interesting thesis project for an anthropology student five hundred years from now once we've rebuilt enough to have academics again. assuming any of our records from now survive worth a drat, the only stuff they might have is whatever unencrypted tape archives and doc boxes they pull out of centuries-abandoned mines

mags
May 30, 2008

I think everyone should locate the closest executive or shareholder of significance near them and memorize their addresses

mags
May 30, 2008

you know for peaceful demonstrations

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
eventually they'll make it illegal to protest outside the houses of higher income brackets just like they did SCOTUS judges

lol they probably all live in gated communities anyway, you'll get hauled off for "trespassing"

mags
May 30, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

eventually they'll make it illegal to protest outside the houses of higher income brackets just like they did SCOTUS judges

lol they probably all live in gated communities anyway, you'll get hauled off for "trespassing"

oh dang they have a gate let’s go home

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

humanity's collective shrug at climate change will be an interesting thesis project for an anthropology student five hundred years from now once we've rebuilt enough to have academics again. assuming any of our records from now survive worth a drat, the only stuff they might have is whatever unencrypted tape archives and doc boxes they pull out of centuries-abandoned mines

>500

lol, buddy where do you think the carbon is going to go in 500 years? congrats to reptiles, insects, and plants tho

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lol y'all think we're coming back from this one

mags
May 30, 2008

going to escape to a self sufficient compound well supplied with rations and generator fuel just to get Donnie Darko’d by radioactive satellite debris people got to use for 5 years or so before total structural collapse killed the electric grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mags posted:

oh dang they have a gate let’s go home

for the sake of sanity I'm pretending that they'd only be protesting peacefully

Puppy Burner posted:

>500

lol, buddy where do you think the carbon is going to go in 500 years? congrats to reptiles, insects, and plants tho

lol yeah, true. i tried to triangulate between "how long will the Bad Times last" and "will anything from now survive by then" and in the face of madness I gave up and chose a biggish number