Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VideoGameVet posted:

The regulatory process isn’t the issue.

There isn't one issue. Are you going to argue that the government should not be doing the things I listed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I ultimately need nuclear sceptics to sit here and confirm that $15B and 11 years is unsuitable for 1.1 GW baseload decarbonized power generation per reactor, because if you think this is expensive I have some extremely bad news for you about the cost constraints and longevity of that scale of battery-only baseload and peak shifting.

Meanwhile,

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A solid solution for providing a minority of baseload under cheap renewables is right there on the table. I regularly point out that our energy future should be dominated by renewables and battery storage, just not as a monoculture. You need ~15% of your baseload to come from other sources to avoid overbuilding battery infrastructure by whole integer factors.

It's right there, and it can be the 15% of our energy mix that makes renewables and super duper dispatchable battery kick a lot of rear end. C'mon. Do it. We need this by 2040-2050 if we're going to meet the drop dead dates for sequestration at great scale.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VideoGameVet posted:

Toyota has made this announcement on an annual basis for about 5 years.

Source?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Potato Salad posted:

Which elements of what you cited--which is indeed accurate--would you contest do not get addressed by what Phanatic mentions that are also specifically germane to nuclear industry?

Phrased another way: you cite Dumb Cost Cutting And Bad Management In Construction, which is wreaking havoc across the board right now, especially with projects executed slavishly by disinterested stakeholders (see my comments about Southern Fossil Company).

Do you argue that any of these problems are unsolvable, either right now or under management lacking deep and structural fossil conflict of interest?

My suggestion originally was to have the Navy do it, but I understand that they use a different technology.

Probabily need a federal agency running the process with standardized design. Maybe what France pulled off (I believe they used a US design). Or some other way to get it away from "our profits are guaranteed no matter how badly we gently caress up" utility economic model.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

2021: https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-battery-bev-hev-solid-state-future-investment/

2017: https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/25/t...oKoA7nGRr-JGHX7

2017: https://www.extremetech.com/cars/253065-toyota-wants-leapfrog-competitors-new-solid-state-lithium-ion-battery-design

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think it's worth getting lost in the weeds examining the differences between navy vessel reactors and commercial power reactors, when someone starts talking about the navy it's meant more to illustrate how silly it is to argue that we can't build nuclear power plants. We can build them, we just don't want to apparently

If we really cared about combating climate change we'd declare it a threat to national security and start doling out commercial nuclear power contracts to the MIC. We've done the first part several dozen times at least but for some reason we just aren't doing anything about it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

If we really cared about combating climate change we'd declare it a threat to national security and start doling out commercial nuclear power contracts to the MIC. We've done the first part several dozen times at least but for some reason we just aren't doing anything about it.

From what I understand, mass nuclear buildup is not the only way forward to stem the climate apocalypse. And it also seems that mass nuclear buildup is socially, politically and financially unacceptable right now.

Is that considered nuclear skepticism?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 21, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dante80 posted:

From what I understand, mass nuclear buildup is not the only way forward to stem the climate apocalypse.

What alternatives are there?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gort posted:

What alternatives are there?

More of literally everything else that can help and is not politically, socially and financially unacceptable right now. From more mass renewables to small/big hydro to EGS to grid to storage to capture to keeping and mildly expanding the nuclear you have to...everything else.

I stopped crying over mass nuclear personally when I realized that a> it's not happening anyway and b> there are still a lot of fish to fry, as well as many degrees to environmental pain coming down the line. It is simply UNHEALTHY for me to fixate on it any longer, and it also saps my energy that should be spent promoting other stuff to stem the climate apocalypse.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 21, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
would love to know where all the new hydro capacity that gets bandied about is going to come from

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

mediaphage posted:

would love to know where all the new hydro capacity that gets bandied about is going to come from

I also listened to a couple of incredible podcasts on that subject recently, one for small modular hydro, and one for hydro in general!

How to make small hydro more like solar

What's going on with hydropower?

anyways, I'm out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dante80 posted:

More of literally everything else that can help and is not politically, socially and financially unacceptable right now. From more mass renewables to small/big hydro to EGS to grid to storage to capture to keeping and mildly expanding the nuclear you have to...everything else.

I stopped crying over mass nuclear personally when I realized that a> it's not happening anyway and b> there are still a lot of fish to fry, as well as many degrees to environmental pain coming down the line. It is simply UNHEALTHY for me to fixate on it any longer, and it also saps my energy that should be spent promoting other stuff to stem the climate apocalypse.

A lot of the things on your list require technologies we don't have yet, and may never have. It feels a lot like throwing your hands up and going, "Science will save us!" as a replacement for using a tool we know works.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

There are things that will help and things that are just changes that don't address the underlying problems. "Have the Navy do program management for reactors that are almost entirely unlike the reactors it is familiar with and which will operate in an entirely different regulatory environment with entirely different requirements and processes" is not something that is likely to help.

The things the government should be doing include:

Ending what are effectively enormous subsidies for fossil fuels. CO2 emissions have an external cost that plant operators get to completely ignore because we allow them to dump their waste into the commons. Make a proper accounting of that cost, and price that in to the cost of fossil fuel consumption.

Streamlining the gently caress out of the regulatory approval process for a nuclear plant. This time and legal complexity is absurdly long, which in turn enormously increases capital expense.

Preapproving site locations. Big map of the US, start going around and doing surveys and painting the map colors and saying "Yeah, you can put this design of nuclear plant in anywhere colored green, this design of plant in anywhere colored orange, etc." This idea where a plant design first has to be certified and then a specific site needs to be licensed and these two things are independent of each other is ridiculous.

Countering the first-mover effect. Nobody wants to be the first to do something new because they bear the risk of learning how to do it, and then the second mover has the advantage of being able to learn from their mistakes. Production tax credits amounting to some percent of the historical construction cost, government-funded R&D for fuel cycle research and new reactor technologies (like, the IFR was loving *brilliant*, but we killed it because we are *dumb*).

These are the kind of things that will attract talent to the industry. And with talent you won’t have a bozo explosion of construction bs like evidenced earlier. You solve the bozo problem by finding someone else, not catering to bozos.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dante80 posted:

This is a form of climate denialism because it's hanging the solutions to our war on carbon on nonexistent technologies that may not ever exist. We have as few as 17 years and as many as 27 years remaining to get not only to zero carbon baseload, but expanded surplus capacity to bring sequestration technologies online, per the IPCC.

Sorry, but we are up against the wall.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dante80 posted:

And how does making GBS threads on nuclear power promote the construction of more renewables and grid-scale storage?

Did you really just suggest carbon capture as a reason to not build nuclear power? The gently caress?
:dafuq:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They suggested it as something the public might find more palatable than nuclear.

We already did hydro, there's no good spots left for it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Love to power carbon capture from magic in-lieu of nuclear.

We need a full court press on solar and nuclear and microgrid storage.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Harold Fjord posted:

They suggested it as something the public might find more palatable than nuclear.

There's 90.000 dams, only 3% generate power.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Are you just assuming every drat dam can be used for power generation?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There are no water bodies left available for high power reliable generation.

You can throw some turbines on many of the water control damns, but you end up in the same position as solar where you're getting power when you're getting power, and it has to be stored to be useful, since you can't interrupt the water control functions.

There aren't even many good places left to build new dams if we were to allow the massive ecological devastation of flooding thousands of acres.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are you just assuming every drat dam can be used for power generation?

it is worth exploring, though it's not a total solution of course. if you read the link provided, you'll see the EIA explicitly says that not all nonpowered dams can be converted to produce electricity. it also says that those that can be converted can provide an additional estimated 12k MW of generation capacity, which is about an extra percent. not a lot but not nothing either

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mediaphage posted:

it is worth exploring, though it's not a total solution of course. if you read the link provided, you'll see the EIA explicitly says that not all nonpowered dams can be converted to produce electricity. it also says that those that can be converted can provide an additional estimated 12k MW of generation capacity, which is about an extra percent. not a lot but not nothing either

Right but the cost to pursue those sources seems kinda high for very little gain. It would likely be better to apply that money for something that may actually be worth it. You know... Like nuclear.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Right but the cost to pursue those sources seems kinda high for very little gain. It would likely be better to apply that money for something that may actually be worth it. You know... Like nuclear.

yes thanks i've had that discussion repeatedly just pointing out when others come up with bad conclusions

anyway all of these sources should be pursued imo

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think that's fairly true with regards to megaprojects, particularly in the United States, but there's certainly some real opportunity available in the mini- and micro-hydro market. There are a ton of already built small- and medium-sized concrete dams that don't have any power generation equipment at all, or have really old and inefficient systems. A lot of the dams were built with agriculture and water-control in mind, rather than power generation. If they can be affordably retrofitted with new systems then it can be something of an easy win. The same can be said for installing micro-hydro systems along waterways that can extract power in a minimally invasive way. This can be in the form of sea snakes or waterwheels or microturbines. They won't be the new Grand Coulee Dam, but they can be placed all over the place without necessarily attracting a lot of attention.

In the podcast, the idea being presented is essentially to drop pre-fabricated turbine cubes along the sides of controlled waterways like water treatment plants or municipal canals, cap it all with solar as possible, and connect to the power infrastructure that already exists in these industrial areas. It's a concept that taps into the idea that the best way to avoid political opposition is to ensure that projects are as unobtrusive as possible. Without a big construction site, fenced off field array, concrete cooling tower, etc., for the media to showcase, the public just can't maintain enough attention on it to feel disrupted by it. The fossil fuel industry has been doing this sort of thing forever, where they can get away with whatever they want to so long as they remain out of sight and out of mind.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Harold Fjord posted:

Let's be clear, the same public that elected Dhonald Jahn Trump will absolutely find CCS palatable.

Which is a yuge, yuuuuuuuge problem.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:pwn:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mediaphage posted:

it also says that those that can be converted can provide an additional estimated 12k MW of generation capacity

Yeah, and one ready, real-world, recent, domestic alternative is:

Potato Salad posted:

$15B and 11 years for 1.1 GW baseload decarbonized power generation

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Hey, 12,000,000 kilowatts is equivalent to several nuclear power plants.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ffs don’t @ me like i’m against nukes

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Dante80 posted:

I also listened to a couple of incredible podcasts on that subject recently, one for small modular hydro, and one for hydro in general!

How to make small hydro more like solar

What's going on with hydropower?

anyways, I'm out.

Volts is a really good listen overall, would recommend. I listen most weeks on a long drive I have to do and they usually are interesting and wonky. Not wading into nuke chat though, y'all have fun

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Nevermind .

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
tidal power is cool but also presently absurdly expensive, because the ocean hates man and all his works; also I guess there's the potentially massive ecological problems

the geothermal stuff is genuinely promising for base load in a lot of areas tbh, I'd love to know more about the particular geography it opens up

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the geothermal stuff is genuinely promising for base load in a lot of areas tbh, I'd love to know more about the particular geography it opens up

A neat point I learned about EGS is that apparently some types of them can produce and maintain their own reservoirs, therefore you can build them almost anywhere for baseload. Also, you can leverage the folks that are already drilling and fracking for fossil fuels and give them thus a credible way to transition into renewables.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ah...and by coincidence, this just came out a couple of hours ago. Pretty neat as a solitary example (one of many in the line).

Enhanced geothermal power is finally a reality

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dante80 posted:

Ah...and by coincidence, this just came out a couple of hours ago. Pretty neat as a solitary example (one of many in the line).

Enhanced geothermal power is finally a reality

As much as I was hoping the microwave drilling would work it's cool to see something actually working.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VideoGameVet posted:

As much as I was hoping the microwave drilling would work it's cool to see something actually working.

tl;dr it for me who don't want to listen to any pods. From what I could read in the text I saw nothing that shot down millimeter wave drilling? Only that it beat it to 1st place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Did they use the MMW drilling, or something more conventional?

(Sorry, I hate podcasts, I’ll read a transcript all day long but I can read way faster than I can listen and as a member of the MTV generation I have the attention span of a gnat.)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Did they use the MMW drilling, or something more conventional?

(Sorry, I hate podcasts, I’ll read a transcript all day long but I can read way faster than I can listen and as a member of the MTV generation I have the attention span of a gnat.)

Conventional.

They didn’t say anything about the microwave stuff. I haven’t heard much recently either. But it sounded so more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

While I hope they prove out and deliver on their potential, I'm not expecting any reporting to talk much about Quaise until there's actually something to report other than "they raised more money and are still working on stuff".

Fervo is using existing technology and techniques, of course they're moving faster. Hopefully they do better wrt environmental impact than natural gas fracking has.