Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McCloud posted:

The joke is that one barbie is brainwashed to love patriarchy and toxic masculinity in the newly created "ken land" and when she comes out of brainwashing she's like "omg i imagined i was someone extremely invested in zsjl"

It rates an eyeroll at most, certainly not something to flip a table over like Armond implies

Oh word? So Gerwig really is a cornball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KVeezy3 posted:

Oh word? So Gerwig really is a cornball.
In the best way

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It stands to reason that the PG-13 movie isn't for little kids. Y'know, the "13". It's there in the title? When did people forget this?
People take their little kids to these PG-13 superhero toy commercials all the time, so of course they're gonna take their kids to this PG-13 toy commercial

teagone posted:

Someone post that image of Snyder's Apple TV screen full of purchased Barbie movies.

Nm, found it lol

One of the Barbie franchise's biggest supporters and they take a potshot at him...sheesh!
I mean the man's got kids so of course he does, but also he appreciates that Life in the Dreamhouse is a modern masterpiece

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

The joke is that one barbie is brainwashed to love patriarchy and toxic masculinity in the newly created "ken land" and when she comes out of brainwashing she's like "omg i imagined i was someone extremely invested in zsjl"

It rates an eyeroll at most, certainly not something to flip a table over like Armond implies

I guess that's kinda funny lol. Because it's so absurd. I don't mind it :haw:

It's like how I can't help but laugh at people who unironically believe Snyder is objectivist and so is his Superman. poo poo's so funny to me now.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 21, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Flash had "cmon Barbie let's go party."

They took it personally!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Assepoester posted:

People take their little kids to these PG-13 superhero toy commercials all the time, so of course they're gonna take their kids to this PG-13 toy commercial

lol still that reminds me there was some big Twitter Person going on about how Multiverse of Madness should have been rated R I guess because it was like a regular PG-13 movie and not Disney PG-13

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

I guess that's kinda funny lol. Because it's so absurd. I don't mind it :haw:

It's like how I can't help but laugh at people who unironically believe Snyder is objectivist and so is his Superman. poo poo's so funny to me now.

I got in a facebook argument with one and when I asked for examples, he responded with the usual stuff about the bus and pa kent's death, but then he finished with this.:

"I'm thinking of the scene in the bar, where Clark, in a confrontation with a bully, who is sexually harassing a waitress, later destroys the man's truck. It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice to the wronged woman (who will almost certainly be accosted by the same man the next time he comes through town). No, Snyder's Superman simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him."

And if you're wondering if he held up the Donner films (where Superman beats the poo poo out of a guy with superpowers for humiliating him in a different timeline) you know he did.

It's interesting how, in ten years, the discussion around MoS hasn't only not advanced, it's actually gotten way worse and far dumber.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 21, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I got in a facebook argument with one and when I asked for examples, he responded with the usual stuff about the bus and pa kent's death, but then he finished with this.:

"I'm thinking of the scene in the bar, where Clark, in a confrontation with a bully, who is sexually harassing a waitress, later destroys the man's truck. It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice to the wronged woman (who will almost certainly be accosted by the same man the next time he comes through town). No, Snyder's Superman simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him."

:psypop:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's funny that there were certain posters here who were huge supporters of Armond White who just quietly forgot him. I'm still "friends" with him on FB just for the train wreck and he tries so, so hard to fit in with the Right Wing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Snowman_McK posted:

And if you're wondering if he held up the Donner films (where Superman beats the poo poo out of a guy with superpowers for humiliating him in a different timeline) you know he did.

It's interesting how, in ten years, the discussion around MoS hasn't only not advanced, it's actually gotten way worse and far dumber.

Objectivists are famous for risking their lives to save others who can't save themselves.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zack needs to get on Letterboxd and rate those Barbie movies

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Swear to god these movies almost literally break people's brains.

I just bet Zack Snyder breathes air, just like Ayn Rand!

Also, why didn't Holdo ju[yanked off stage by comedy showbiz hook]

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Y’all deserved the stupid Barbie joke

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't think anyone who posts ITT actually cares about the joke.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Objectivists are famous for risking their lives to save others who can't save themselves.

Yeah, but it's, like, easy for him, but he still doesn't smile so he clearly hates it!

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

hey man you seem like a cool dude but its okay if people don't like james gunn lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, but it's, like, easy for him, but he still doesn't smile so he clearly hates it!

Would you instead say that it's not easy to be him :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Darko posted:

It's funny that there were certain posters here who were huge supporters of Armond White who just quietly forgot him. I'm still "friends" with him on FB just for the train wreck and he tries so, so hard to fit in with the Right Wing.
Armond was fun because he was writing contrarian movie reviews while actually being a good writer, which is pretty rare even for regular movie reviews. But he went insane along with the rest of the right wing and started ranting about the parkland kids being crisis actors and poo poo like that so he's just lost, sadly.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Joke seems more about film bros and guy movies than anything personal.

The Barbie ZSJL joke is funny in that WB keeps coming back to Synderverse. In their (likely) biggest movie of the year they mention him by name instead of just moving on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Still got that chip on your shoulder huh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

I haven't forgot him, there just aren't that many movies worth talking about these days.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Was Armond White ever a big Snyder defender? I can imagine it as part of his contrarian shtick but I don't really remember his name ever coming up in the Snyder Wars, and I'm sure a lot of people would have jumped on him defending Snyder as evidence of Snyder's evilness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

Was Armond White ever a big Snyder defender? I can imagine it as part of his contrarian shtick but I don't really remember his name ever coming up in the Snyder Wars, and I'm sure a lot of people would have jumped on him defending Snyder as evidence of Snyder's evilness.

Famously so, yeah.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
White was defined by his anti-liberalism, and almost purely negative in that respect. This meant he was one of the only reviewers in the relative mainstream saying that, like, Toy Story is ideologically sus, Joss Whedon is bad, and satirical movies like Transformers are only vilified because they lay bare the hypocrisy.

Then, like many who defined themselves by ‘owning the libs’ circa 2010, White suddenly went positive: all-in on Trump and conspiracist fascism, revealing himself to be a rube.

The fatal mistake is in seeing Trump as an antidote to liberalism instead of a derangement of it. It’s the difference between appreciating Michael Bay movies and wanting Michael Bay’s characters to take over the nation IRL.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

The obvious answer is that that's Clark Kent, not Superman.

"I'm thinking of the scene after the wrestling match, where the promoter stiffs Spider-Man on his pay. So when the promoter gets robbed, Spider-Man doesn't stop him! It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice for Spider-Man (who obviously can't get paid more by a guy who just lost all his money). No, Raimi's Spider-Man simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him. Why would Spider-Man do this?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The obvious answer is that that's Clark Kent, not Superman.

"I'm thinking of the scene after the wrestling match, where the promoter stiffs Spider-Man on his pay. So when the promoter gets robbed, Spider-Man doesn't stop him! It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice for Spider-Man (who obviously can't get paid more by a guy who just lost all his money). No, Raimi's Spider-Man simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him. Why would Spider-Man do this?

So then the bully kills Superman uncle and he learns that with great power there must also come great responsibility?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's pretty funny that people who have been shown dozens of superhero origin stories apparently can't recognize one when they see it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

YggdrasilTM posted:

So then the bully kills Superman uncle and he learns that with great power there must also come great responsibility?
The tornado that kills Pa shows Clark humility, and such his love of Earth is born. Because he is awed by its awesome power and defiance.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

The tornado that kills Pa shows Clark humility, and such his love of Earth is born. Because he is awed by its awesome power and defiance.

So the bully was a tornado? I don't get the Spider-Man similitude.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

YggdrasilTM posted:

So the bully was a tornado? I don't get the Spider-Man similitude.
Yes. In contrast, Krypton was broken and thoroughly conquered by the Kryptofascists, and left to Rot. Broken down by the same malaise that took a proud space-faring people and turned them into petty, paranoid warmongering reploids.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FilthyImp posted:

Yes. In contrast, Krypton was broken and thoroughly conquered by the Kryptofascists, and left to Rot. Broken down by the same malaise that took a proud space-faring people and turned them into petty, paranoid warmongering reploids.

No, that's Mega Man X

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBA Starblade posted:

No, that's Mega Man X
I thought MegaMan X fought against the inherent psychopathology of a race of synthoids birthed by a man shunned by society for his extremist pursuit of creative energies? All sharing the base sins of pride and envy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FilthyImp posted:

I thought MegaMan X fought against the inherent psychopathology of a race of synthoids birthed by a man shunned by society for his extremist pursuit of creative energies? All sharing the base sins of pride and envy?

No, they're called reploids there too :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Then, absent of any agency or hope for higher purpose, the Krytponians are more aptly described as homunculi?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No, Kryptonians aren't created by jerking off into a container full of rotten garbage. You're thinking of Avengers: Age of Ultron

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

See, if Clark had bodied that bully and thrown him out on his rear end after humiliating him, THEN it would have been heroic. There is nothing inherently valuable in showing self restraint and damaging something fungible instead of inflicting bodily harm on someone. In fact, it's actually a lot worse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

No, Kryptonians aren't created by jerking off into a container full of rotten garbage. You're thinking of Avengers: Age of Ultron

Look, just because one alchemist tried it ONE time to see if it'd make gold doesn't mean they ALL did it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Coincidentally, this is how the first Transformer was born

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bogus Adventure posted:

Coincidentally, this is how the first Transformer was born
No, that was a subversion of the "JAPANESE TECHNOLOGY WILL CONQUER THE US" panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

Then, absent of any agency or hope for higher purpose, the Krytponians are more aptly described as homunculi?

Funnily enough, I think MOS has enough material that you could make this argument sincerely.

It'd be a little misanthropic, but it could be done.

Halloween Jack posted:

No, Kryptonians aren't created by jerking off into a container full of rotten garbage.

Our boy Zack kept the film respectable, but we all know what's going on with those clone machines!