Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My Health app is using 1.65 GB for documents and data. Is this just going to grow forever? No idea what is using the space, maybe all the running workout data?

Oh wait, it is broken down but baffling…

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Mine is half that size but like does it matter?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
stop being so healthy, dumbass

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You need more vertical oscillation I think

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Mine is half that size but like does it matter?

Only matters cause my phone is full, so I gotta janitor stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Only matters cause my phone is full, so I gotta janitor stuff.

What size phone do you have that 1.6 gigs starts to matter?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I have a 64GB 11 Pro, it has so little free space iMessage will randomly not download pictures. iMessage takes like 40GB but the conversation-clearing ones are useless, and auto-uninstalling apps only got me a few "This is no longer available on the App Store" messages for things I really liked. I hate janitoring but I'm trying to milk it until September.

Also yeah Health is one of my top users too.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'm happy that Apple decided to show full album artwork on the lock screen now in 16.6. They should have done that a long time ago. Now if they could only fix my main issue with Apple Music is when I say I don't like a song to never play it again on my station. But it's still happening.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

64 GB so that is 2.5% of the total storage, and the third highest after Photos and Music.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hed posted:

I have a 64GB 11 Pro, it has so little free space iMessage will randomly not download pictures. iMessage takes like 40GB but the conversation-clearing ones are useless, and auto-uninstalling apps only got me a few "This is no longer available on the App Store" messages for things I really liked. I hate janitoring but I'm trying to milk it until September.

Also yeah Health is one of my top users too.

Just out of curiosity, what’s your next size gonna be? I just checked my storage on 128gb. After deleting and then reinstalling discord (which somehow ballooned up to 17GB?? I wish iOS has the ability to clear cache for each app), I have about 50% storage left. I’m debating whether or not I want to step up to 256GB.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

buglord posted:

Or@like@this@on@discord

I only use my lefthand when doing comments on TikTok because I hit "send" on the keyboard so much if I two thumb type and have done so at comically offensive points in a sentence and just hope I successfully deleted them before the receiver saw them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If I want to try the iOS 17 beta do I still need to create an archived backup from iOS 16 if I change my mind? Or did they fix that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If I want to try the iOS 17 beta do I still need to create an archived backup from iOS 16 if I change my mind? Or did they fix that?

You don't necessarily need a backup. However, if you want to roll it back to iOS16 and want to restore a backup, the backup would have be on 16.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

You don't necessarily need a backup. However, if you want to roll it back to iOS16 and want to restore a backup, the backup would have be on 16.

Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I should also mention that you cannot 'update' from 17 to 16. It needs to be a full wipe/restore to 16. This also goes for all their other operating systems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

me: man all this new phone tech is silly, just give me something that works
also me: hehe, phone stick to magnet charger. fuckin' magnets, how do they work lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Just out of curiosity, what’s your next size gonna be? I just checked my storage on 128gb. After deleting and then reinstalling discord (which somehow ballooned up to 17GB?? I wish iOS has the ability to clear cache for each app), I have about 50% storage left. I’m debating whether or not I want to step up to 256GB.

I’m going to get 256 because I don’t ever want to janitor my messages or my meager amount of apps again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How the hell do you get 40 GB of iMessages? Are you constantly sending 4K video to everyone?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

How the hell do you get 40 GB of iMessages? Are you constantly sending 4K video to everyone?

You don’t shoot 4k/60fps videos of your 🍆 to send to everyone?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

You don’t shoot 4k/60fps videos of your 🐈 to send to everyone?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I’ve probably got like 5-6 years of messages, it’s not hard to accumulate

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
trying to switch over from Android to iOS, and having an annoying issue where my number appears as if it were someone else in almost every single chat. For example: group chats list out everyone else plus my phone number, and 1-on-1 chats appear as a three-person chat, listing the other person and my own phone number as the other people.

It's really weird because the duplicate being displayed has my exact phone number (double checked that they were identical). It's an annoying issue because I feel like I can't respond to any 1 on 1 texts without turning them into group chats that include two of myself?...

Tried googling the issue but google sucks unimaginably now - the issues that come up are similar but different ones. Any advice?...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

trying to switch over from Android to iOS, and having an annoying issue where my number appears as if it were someone else in almost every single chat. For example: group chats list out everyone else plus my phone number, and 1-on-1 chats appear as a three-person chat, listing the other person and my own phone number as the other people.

It's really weird because the duplicate being displayed has my exact phone number (double checked that they were identical). It's an annoying issue because I feel like I can't respond to any 1 on 1 texts without turning them into group chats that include two of myself?...

Tried googling the issue but google sucks unimaginably now - the issues that come up are similar but different ones. Any advice?...

Have you poked around in Settings > Messages? You can choose to send/receive iMessages to your phone number, or Apple account. I have a feeling there may be something amiss there?

It sounds like something related to that. Very weird.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 22, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never deleted an iMessage conversation I forget how big my app is but it’s around that size

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

I’ve probably got like 5-6 years of messages, it’s not hard to accumulate

My oldest are from 2013, and I have under 2 GB total on my phone. iCloud says 15 GB. (I do delete things, though.) Are you all not using iCloud Messages?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Free yourself, click the option in settings to delete a message after 1 year.

Or 30 days if you truly want to be unencumbered.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

My oldest are from 2013, and I have under 2 GB total on my phone. iCloud says 15 GB. (I do delete things, though.) Are you all not using iCloud Messages?

Obviously no one has texted you in the past 10 years.

* checks texts * oh poo poo I have the same problem :negative:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In iOS 17 Messages, how do I put my gif keyboard in the + list and also take out all the useless poo poo? I don’t see an edit button anymore.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Press and hold on what you want moved down into “more” and drag it to the bottom of the screen and I’ll pull it down into that sub menu. Likewise press and hold on what you want moved up or rearranged and drag them around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Press and hold on what you want moved down into “more” and drag it to the bottom of the screen and I’ll pull it down into that sub menu. Likewise press and hold on what you want moved up or rearranged and drag them around.

I have a gif keyboard that doesn’t show up anywhere in the list like it used to in 16. How do you get something in that list? Or even remove it? I don’t exactly need Southwest Airlines in there…

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress, I can’t stress how much the iOS 17 text prediction and autocorrect are completely awful. I just typed “wuantity” and it had no suggestions on what to change it to.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress, I can’t stress how much the iOS 17 text prediction and autocorrect are completely awful. I just typed “wuantity” and it had no suggestions on what to change it to.

For me it suggests and autocorrects to quantity when I type wuantity, so you might want to try resetting your dictionary or something.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah honestly the autocorrect is 100% a works on my machine situation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is MFi certification a rubber stamp, or are most of the Amazon lightning cables just lying about having it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Is MFi certification a rubber stamp, or are most of the Amazon lightning cables just lying about having it?

Everybody can put the stamp, but only a few will reply if you request the certification paperwork. Just get Anker or Aukey old stock if you find them cheap.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I replaced the battery (was <80% capacity) on my 12 mini about a month ago because it was losing charge pretty quickly and was often warm to the touch. Still having the problem a month later with the new apple store replaced battery. It drops from 100% to 70% in 2 hours overnight while doing nothing! New battery is 100% capacity. Literally no data in the battery usage section for those 2 hours. I cleared out a bunch of space by offloading photos, iOS updated, turned off Bluetooth, stopped sharing my location, turned off background app refresh, literally everything I can think of to improve battery performance. Is it time to just factory reset and set up as a new device? Anyone else have this problem and that fixed it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Just get Anker or Aukey old stock if you find them cheap.

Boy, Amazon sure killed Aukey dead didn’t they.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

slave to my cravings posted:

I replaced the battery (was <80% capacity) on my 12 mini about a month ago because it was losing charge pretty quickly and was often warm to the touch. Still having the problem a month later with the new apple store replaced battery. It drops from 100% to 70% in 2 hours overnight while doing nothing! New battery is 100% capacity. Literally no data in the battery usage section for those 2 hours. I cleared out a bunch of space by offloading photos, iOS updated, turned off Bluetooth, stopped sharing my location, turned off background app refresh, literally everything I can think of to improve battery performance. Is it time to just factory reset and set up as a new device? Anyone else have this problem and that fixed it?

check your location permissions and usage, sounds like an app is constantly reporting location

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smackfu posted:

Boy, Amazon sure killed Aukey dead didn’t they.

Wait what happened to Aukey? I think all my power bricks are Aukey cause they were cheaper than Anker when I made the order. And Wirecutter recommended them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wait what happened to Aukey? I think all my power bricks are Aukey cause they were cheaper than Anker when I made the order. And Wirecutter recommended them.

They got got for fake amazon reviews when amazon decided to prove they were ~doing something~ about the problem.

e: it is, of course, still possible to buy a five-pack of five-star rated, 1000+ review FLMNKSBIOUWGR brand MFI certified lightning cables for $3 that will literally start falling apart before you can plug them into your phone

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 23, 2023