Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

What I like to do is check out Goodwill and buy sub-$10 bluray players to just give out any time someone’s like “hey lets come over to my place and watch *thing….but I have no way to waaattchhhh iiiiitttt”

Seriously just having a few spare bluray players to just give out to people costs practically no money

Johnny Bluray Seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

here comes peter bluray guy, sprintin outta his best buy, hippity hoppity the films are on their way

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, people with eyes

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The greatest trick Netflix played was convincing everyone it was safe to set their DVDs on fire

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ve cornered the market on night court dvds. Soon I’ll be rich

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ok Comboomer posted:

young jay got that ezra miller look

Yeah and then he told Ezra "please stop"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I liked Barbie

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I think the Marvel era has seen a rise in non-writers dictating what ends up on screen. Producers want a scene where X happens, and a scene where Y happens, and a scene where Z happens. Also, the big final fight is already being animated by a contracted VFX house.
In Marvel’s case, it helps you have decades of existing stories to cannibalize.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I attended a screening last night of The Electric 6 Recording Co documentary. It was interesting enough, if you're a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples In Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control, etc you'd probably enjoy it.

There was a Q+A afterwards with the director. He mentioned that before getting funding and clearing the music rights the first draft was only available via VHS, and the only way to get a copy was by writing into a PO box and promising to return it.

https://www.avclub.com/new-elephant-6-documentary-available-exclusively-on-sec-1837388849

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Inside mental asylumishly* I feel like barbenheimer is the la la land/bye bye man for the modern age

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I will never stop hearing mikes voice say “the bye bye man” in my head

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

henkman posted:

I liked Barbie

go on

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1682265578537619457

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

WTF!? Isn't the movie coming out today?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

“I’ll kill this company if it takes every trick I have”
-CEO of HBO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mallratcal posted:

lol, looks like we got zaslaved!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Damg RIP Tony Bennet. Got to hang out with world famous House of Gucci star Lady Gaga before he went though, not bad

Lmfao hbo max ftw

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i read a great biography on oppenheimer years ago and the author said that according to friends and loved ones, oppenheimer would constantly pull his pants to his ankles, take out his penis while making a tight fist around it, and say “lookit THIS mushroom cloud”. he would laugh and chase people around with it before finally tripping over his pants. i hope thats part of the reason for the r rating in the film. could add some levity

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao hbo max ftw

please do not deadname “Max”, tysm :rolleyes:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

taking a significant paycut just like that nintendo guy you all love

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Assepoester posted:

Let's be honest, it's not like the League of Legends anime spinoff is above imagine dragons.

The best placement was on the first episode of The 100 when the space people touch down upon the nuclear war-ravaged earth while radioactive plays, just perfectly literal, good job.

true, lol. but having the band playing one of their songs as themselves is a bit much even for an anime

Like come on, have a little respect for the anime. It didn't deserve it

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

it was funny

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vakal posted:

Johnny Bluray Seed.

I recently read his whole thing was planting apple trees for people to make cider.

He seems way less lame now.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Has this thread talked about Beau is Afraid yet because lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

mallratcal posted:

This is the same company that took down Mortal Kombat for a month when the new Mortal Kombat came out. Like they think the audience is too stupid to click the right one

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Is that Marvel or DC?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

quote:

From Ari Aster, director of Hereditary and Midsommar.

I'm listening...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Saw Barbie last night, and y’all…it’s pretty damned good. While a lot of people will probably draw parallels to the Lego Movie since they are both toy-based meta-textual movies for kids, I think the real point of comparison is 2001’s Josie and the Pussycats. This movie gets genuinely weird in a lot of ways that I didn’t expect. A few random observations…

- Choosing to make Ken the villain of the movie was loving inspired, and I don’t believe any other filmmaker would have thought to go there. I believe this is the first time a children's movie has made villain who is straight-coded. Everyone who heard that Ken sings a song and assumes it is a sad-sack Mr Cellophane type piece got it wrong. It’s closer to a Disney Villain song.

- There are rare moments when a particular piece of pop culture gets utterly annihilated by another piece of pop culture, where the later makes such a perfect mockery of the former that you know the former will never be able to exist again except as a punchline. The Barbie movie performs such an assassination on one particular song. (You’ll never be able to play Push by Matchbox Twenty at a party again without everyone snickering.)

- As someone who currently has a 68-day Spanish learning streak on Duolingo, there’s a single cutaway gag that was such a precisely observed piece of humor that it felt like a punch in the gut (but in a good way).

- Rhea Perlman pops up real quick and knocks some scenes out of the park. She’s also perfect casting for the role she plays.

- They get in their one PG-13 allowed use of the word “gently caress”. While it is censored, it still got one of the biggest laughs in the entire theater when it happened. (The biggest laugh happened at the final line.)

Anyways, if you need any more evidence that this is actually a really good movie, look at this breakdown of reviews. You only see this type of split when audiences react to something that isn't just slop:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

The Barbie movie performs such an assassination on one particular song. (You’ll never be able to play Push by Matchbox Twenty at a party again without everyone snickering.)

As if I needed another reason not to see it

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im a mens rights activist so im not very interested in this feminist barbie.......................................................

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sunk Dunk posted:

im a mens rights activist so im not very interested in this feminist barbie.......................................................

drat we finally catch a chud in the thread and Hodor is nowhere to be seen

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LanceHunter posted:

Anyways, if you need any more evidence that this is actually a really good movie, look at this breakdown of reviews. You only see this type of split when audiences react to something that isn't just slop:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sunk Dunk posted:

Well that explains a lot.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Boys rule

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I thought Margot Robbie was good in Wolf of Wall Street. Where does this put me on the problematic mra / captain marvel Stan spectrum

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, correction. You only see a split like that when you are getting reviews for something that isn't slop being review-bombed by people who haven't seen it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kalel posted:

it's marvel's fault. kevin feige spun children's picture books into a consistent source of billions in profit and now studios are trying to replicate it. pandora's box is open now, they'll never stop trying to turn the movie making process into a machine with controllable variables.
it's not really marvel's fault, though. they can't help that no other studio could be relied on to consistently produce at least middling quality blockbusters for the better part of two decades

in the period where people actually liked the movies, they specifically were praised for creative hiring decisions and seeking appropriate and often lesser-known talent for the projects they were making. the marvel machine was created to ensure internal consistency for the brand, but it ran on creative human beings who could work meaningfully within those constraints

anybody who looks at what marvel did and concludes that it's a self-sufficient machine with no human factor is deluding themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You either post long enough that you go to la la land, or you prove yourself someone who will make people say bye bye man