Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Somewhere in a research lab IRL Dr. Curt Conners is laying the foundations for the future of intelligent life on Earth. His great^N-grand descendants will look up his work and ask wtf was wrong with apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Tornado damages Pfizer plant in North Carolina, will "likely lead to long-term shortages" of medicine

have a good hoot n holler this morning

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Zodium posted:

training my dog to hunt data scientists

hmm. wont eat this one

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Spaced God posted:

Lol y'all think we're coming back from this one

we're not, but someone might. maybe some arctic circle city-states here and there

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Tungsten posted:

we're not, but someone might. maybe some arctic circle city-states here and there

good thing modern people have embraced masking culture in the COVID era to help mitigate all the ancient disease locked in the melting permafrost

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Someone must have made a mistake, I was promised a long life with lots of opportunities for consumption and reproduction if I went to college and did well. This is not what I signed up for.

don’t worry! You’ve got plenty of opportunities to contract consumption still.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it only took us, what, 50,000 years to bounce back from a bottleneck of a couple thousand individuals to current day levels? climate apocalypse might destroy global civilization but maybe we'll balance out around a medieval era tech, surface-fuel life growing neocorn in Finland or something

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Cuttlefush posted:

lol imagine being the product of evolutionary algorithms. end up with backwards eyes or some poo poo because lol gently caress it it works next

Huge blind spot because of some long past fuckup that can no longer be fixed, only worked around (badly). so what

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SixteenShells posted:

it only took us, what, 50,000 years to bounce back from a bottleneck of a couple thousand individuals to current day levels? climate apocalypse might destroy global civilization but maybe we'll balance out around a medieval era tech, surface-fuel life growing neocorn in Finland or something

It must have been so awesome to be one of those primordial bottleneck people with all the world's bounty and barely any elites to gently caress it up

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

oh gently caress yeah that's the stuff

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1682367131885682688?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

get a clue arizonians, move to florida already!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I think I know what the answer is, but are there any plans to mitigate the environmental catastrophe from the ocean overwhelming miles of inland human settlements? All the landfills, the sewer systems, the industrial sites, the houses and retail stores, just enormous piles of toxic bullshit suddenly subjected to tidal forces?

mags
May 30, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

I think I know what the answer is, but are there any plans to mitigate the environmental catastrophe from the ocean overwhelming miles of inland human settlements? All the landfills, the sewer systems, the industrial sites, the houses and retail stores, just enormous piles of toxic bullshit suddenly subjected to tidal forces?

don’t worry about it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SixteenShells posted:

no

or really

yes there are plenty of plans
no they won't be done

except building more sea walls

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
oh and I guess some areas buy sand to replace sand bars

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

it goes in the ocean

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

trash goes in oceans

it's where it lives

this is an ancient tradition

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SixteenShells posted:

Uhh yeah throw all that poo poo in the ocean???

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1682407652440305664?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

yeah they’re trying to build massive seawalls so that the oil refineries can keep operating past 2050

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

that's so f'ed up...no wait you know what, this is an emergency, I'm just gonna say it: this is fricked up. we are completely FRICKED here! sorry if this offends.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SixteenShells posted:

big stilts for everybody

mags
May 30, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

big stilts for everybody

this is optimistic imo

mags
May 30, 2008

so that’s it? good luck, learn to swim?

“I never said good luck”

Danru
May 23, 2022

where's that guy who was like "this is alarmist/makes me sad, and therefore unhelpful!"

Also sea temps off the coast of southern florida are wild right now:

https://twitter.com/pgdynes/status/1682169246820777985?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Danru posted:

where's that guy who was like "this is alarmist/makes me sad, and therefore unhelpful!"

Also sea temps off the coast of southern florida are wild right now:

https://twitter.com/pgdynes/status/1682169246820777985?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

good soup!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Koirhor posted:

good soup!

.....frothing with urban poo, dead biomass, and salt.

throw a few manatee corpses in there for the fat and you got yourself a florida bisque.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
who likes sea level rise!
https://twitter.com/subfossilguy/status/1682354406082093057?s=20

mags
May 30, 2008

what’s cool about the porous sandstone that holds Florida’s freshwater aquifer is that it can flow the other way so while the sea level rises and floods this shithole the water will also become undrinkable and sewage and drainage systems will start to catastrophically back up and spew their contents all over heavily populated urban areas that used to be swamp land

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

“Homo Sapiens Evolve” ahh I can see where things went wrong on the graph

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's called GREENLAND it's SUPPOSED to be GREEN

Danru
May 23, 2022

Hey Italy, you uhhh-- you alright?

https://twitter.com/charliejgardner/status/1682412019696148481?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

https://twitter.com/om_seagateweath/status/1682240759150329857?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

https://twitter.com/centinela_35/status/1682391711610445829?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

there's an old YouTube video of a lecture from like 2014 that got posted in the last thread and I've quoted a few times, it's entirely about how ice core sampling from Greenland reveal past temperature swings of like 6° in the span of 2-3 years

collapse might not be so slow

mags
May 30, 2008

mamma mia

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

:roflolmao:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

mags posted:

what’s cool about the porous sandstone that holds Florida’s freshwater aquifer is that it can flow the other way so while the sea level rises and floods this shithole the water will also become undrinkable and sewage and drainage systems will start to catastrophically back up and spew their contents all over heavily populated urban areas that used to be swamp land

they will win the moral victory though, by having tried to convince schoolchildren that slavery is good in the year 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

there's an old YouTube video of a lecture from like 2014 that got posted in the last thread and I've quoted a few times, it's entirely about how ice core sampling from Greenland reveal past temperature swings of like 6° in the span of 2-3 years

collapse might not be so slow

It feels like we've essentially gotten to the point where the only way out is the libertarian dream that the free market will provide a magic tech solution. Like Elon Musk has to come up with a carbon capture ray gun or something.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

All the coral will be soon due to acidity, so I guess it does not matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

humanity made an oopsie doopsie