Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

flashing back to a line from a Discworld book, about rain "pattering somewhat incestuously into the sea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the gently caress is the title from.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powered Descent posted:

That's my best guess too. The phrasing is sometimes used for a time it's common to put on weight, such as when you go away to college and your diet changes from Mom's home cooking to self-selected garbage, you gain the "freshman 5" (or 10, or 20, as the case may be). But it's still a little obscure. While I never heard it applied to pandemic weight gain, it would at least make sense. Still very strange to drop it in a strip totally out of context and leave everyone to try and figure it out, though.

I commonly heard "covid n" used the same way as "freshman 15". She's eating pizza at a party and talking about going to more parties that she had to skip due to the pandemic. Weight gain makes some sense in context, but it's awkwardly phrased as gently caress.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 20, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Either the homeowner has the mindfulness of a monk, or that home has already seen some poo poo. I'm very excited for this Zits / Ex Machina crossover.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:rolleyes: Here we go with a week of stale 'some gizmo' jokes in Zits...

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I’ve never lost a roll of Polos inside a robot car (car robot?) but I did once lose the parking ticket I needed to exit the multi-storey inside the workings of my car when opening the between-seat cabinet. Down it went, into the guts. It emerged unharmed about a month later. We can talk about the month I lived in a parking structure “another time”.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Wow, what could that mean??

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Talk To A Therapist, Lindisfarne

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Silver Age ends about 1970.

The comic is Fantastic Four#65, (196 7) so if he bought it new, he's about 68.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I've been adding two "to's" into that in my head without realizing they weren't there.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Tha Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83lw0eFIJA

Bogor

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the new boarder makes the rounds. (April 24-26, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (June 27-29, 1921)

Jack Dempsey met Georges Carpentier on July 2, 1921. It was billed as "the fight of the century" (one of many) and was the first fight to draw a million dollar gate. So of course, everybody was talking about it.

(The Young Lady Across the Way, June 27, 1921)

(Somebody's Stenog, June 28, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Headfake (November 2, 1914)

Little Lefty, featuring the Marxist Mystery Kids. (November 10-12, 1938)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Has she always been wearing the bowtie? No wonder she looks like she's waiting for death to come.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

y'all i am really mad about Rex Morgan not making more out of this eye surgery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

y'all i am really mad about Rex Morgan not making more out of this eye surgery

plot twist: rex has never done surgery on an eye before and botches the procedure

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Hey, Luann? GFY

Gil Thorp

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Of course Luann would be a hunt and peck typer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Bonus:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Strontium fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 21, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Aug 29-30, 1960)

I was going to make an "Abort! Abort!" joke but reading it again I'm legit not sure what he's trying to say here.

Can we PLEASE discuss literally anything else?

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 16-17, 1993)

Big Nate

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

OK there's layers here.

The first being "pelaan korista". Basketball in Finnish is "koripallo", literally kori (basket) + pallo (ball). A colloquial expression for the sport is "koris", which is kind of the diminutive form. And now we get to the real poo poo: "pelaan korista" can either be the elative form of "kori" (korista), basket, as in "I am playing for the ownership of a basket", or the partitive form of "koris", I am playing basketball.

The second is the division pun. The Finnish word for division is "divisioona", but it's frequently shortened to "divari", which is again the kind of diminutive nickname we see a lot in Finnish. Weirdly enough "divari" is also the word for a second hand bookstore at least in south western Finland. There is no correlation between division and second hand bookstore that I know of.

The typical second hand bookstore in Finland sells a lot of old magazines, books and often also VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-rays, games and whatever else. They also often smell like cigarette smokes and mold and I've spent a significant amount of my life browsing first for old issues of Mad Magazine and then books.

And the number two thing should be obvious to everyone.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 21, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

wow macanudo's never been this good before

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 17, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 21, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

these are all written in a secret code, they have to be

lasso? rope?

he's tied up and being held prisoner, forced to crank our cartoons which are his only method of communicating with the outside world that his captors don't notice, desperately hoping someone will decode them and come to his rescue?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Of course Luann would be a hunt and peck typer.

On the one hand she would be, on the other hand she's supposed to be college age and I'm not sure how many hunt-and-peck typers there are below 40-50. (Hell I'm 42 and learned five finger typing before high school.)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Aug 29-30, 1960)

I was going to make an "Abort! Abort!" joke but reading it again I'm legit not sure what he's trying to say here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsu7lbUOPQw

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

riderchop posted:

wow macanudo's never been this good before

Dammit, I even make a point to preview before posting and I still didn't catch that because my brain's fried.
Fixed. Have a good weekend everybody.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the one hand she would be, on the other hand she's supposed to be college age and I'm not sure how many hunt-and-peck typers there are below 40-50. (Hell I'm 42 and learned five finger typing before high school.)

I'm 38 and I don't know anyone my age or younger who touch-types.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah not to go all "kids these days" but how many kids regularly use a physical keyboard vs a touchscreen keyboard? Laptops still exist, but they're not the main way you communicate with your friends like when we were younger.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I used to be a fast touch-typer, but my ability has been degrading for years since I don't play games where you need to type fast to talk poo poo anymore.

Vintage Valiant (May 11, 1958)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
All you need to know about Luann is that she's an rear end in a top hat.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

TIL that Mutt and Jeff invented ASMR.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "150 -Jucika's Carnival"

Great breaking of the panel wall (or ceiling) in this one.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 21, 2023

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Kind of hoping the neighbor loses his sight (or his eye) as a result of botched surgery and sues Rex into oblivion for performing a procedure he wasn't qualified to do.

Seriously, I hate this so loving much.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
There are some very good expressions in Prince Valiant today.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's amazing how Rex Morgan managed to make someone exploding their face with a firework so loving boring.

Even the previous strip had the patient look at the camera and go "You know what? Having fun is too dangerous." :geno:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

They fuckin'.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...heh, that Bizarro took me a second. Clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

There are some very good expressions in Prince Valiant today.

Yeah it’s a real joy. The modern artist just can’t get the feelings quite right.