Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah. The soldier faction that takes over the east side of the map is much easier than the PMCs, but a lot of the old cheese strats don't work so well on the PMCs. The soldiers do have armor and better weapons. I think the intended progression is to deal with the Major, then the Colonel, then Corazon.

What's that then, after refugee camp you push east to get away from the now-compromised west, finish that portion, and then start fighting back westward culminating in a triumphant return to tutorial island? Sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I ended up cheesing the act-split fight by using a sacrificial fast merc with metaviron to trigger it. :v:

Thoughts on what happens right after

The doom stacks that are supposed to take over your stuff didn't do much to me, I think I lost two sectors in total. They got owned by the fact that they don't stick together when travelling, and 1 stack of 10 soldiers will lose to 8 stack of experienced militia by a lot. I had a sector that took out 3 squads one by one, albeit it ended up with just two last elites standing.

I also think that the fight comes a bit too soon. I think I locked myself out of bunch of stuff because I was messing around the global map, then went to save Biff and then suddenly I can't get Pierre and so on. I didn't even control two full cities when I went to save Biff.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty early in the game still. Is there any way to do a stealth takedown before combat starts? Like if I sneak behind someone unaware. I recall in JA2 you had to have a knife or am I misremembering?

have a knife selected, then target a mook like your normally would. it'll let you prepare an attack and target a specific body part, then just move your dude behind them while trying to avoid being spotted.

if you have stealth perks you'll have a much better chance of pulling it off. poo poo will go sideways from time to time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, it's definitely too soon, even though I like that they want to have a big switch up. That was needed, otherwise the plan would be a little too straightforward. But even prolonging the period before that fight can be weird; I had a conversation at Landsbach where the Major's radio portrait was visible, without us meeting prior to that or anything. Felt like maybe they didn't test the possibility of just avoiding the refugee camp and conquering everything else.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
something fun about the act split and aim's red-headed step child just intercept the patrol going to attack him and... well, that's about it really. it'll put you in combat with a single patrol, thenyou can explore the rest of the map for as long as you'd like almost

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Has anyone helped him? Are his stats at least decent?

Here's his stats: https://i.imgur.com/HuGsQmT.jpg

You can turn him into a decent autogunner but he's pretty bad out of the box.
WIthout training he's only good for militia training.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

boo boo bear posted:

something fun about the act split and aim's red-headed step child just intercept the patrol going to attack him and... well, that's about it really. it'll put you in combat with a single patrol, thenyou can explore the rest of the map for as long as you'd like almost

Interesting. I instead went there and left before the patrol came in. I wonder if this caused some of the bugs I saw after that, like the communist leader not being around anymore, but quests telling me to go find him

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
So I did The Good Place last night and I was woefully unprepared mentally for that fight. I did the Refugee Camp with some struggle but most of my team made it out ok and I had liberated back all taken sectors by this point. It was night time and foggy and it started off well, sneaking in getting stealth kills, breaching the main building and clearing rooms. But the enemy was able to just keep getting these occasional shots off on my team that resulted in everyone walking away severely hosed up.

At one point when clearing the upstairs guard hut on the main building I had 4 mercs lined up, but spaced maybe 5 or more tiles apart. I didn't put them in a line on purpose, I was just moving my team up the stairs. A "near death" guard ran out in front of this line of mercs, shrugged off 2 overwatches and pulled off 1 rifle or shotgun shot that went through all 4 mercs and hit the pavement behind the final merc. A cool 12 to 20 damage + bleeding to 4 of my guys. And then there was the Underground. I think I had 2 mercs get downed and revived there....

That whole place took me like 3 hour to clear. We couldn't see anything in the fog and those guards just don't move at all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kinda want to try a no-IMP run since it's a bit too easy to engineer a build that'll supercharge your mercs with training. How bad can like/dislike relationships get? I'm thinking of getting Raider as my squad leader since you can hire him on for a week with the same amount of cash you spend on your IMP, but unfortunately Livewire isn't a fan of him.

Maybe I could just skip on Livewire too, lol, it's not like she's overpowered with her wallhack trait and insane wisdom stat.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The thing is I like the switch-up in theory, but also feel like it adds a bit of a tedious layer if you've conquered most of the center part of the map when it triggers and basically have to go and take northern mine, Fleatown, Ernie Island, Pantagruel and Port Cacao back all over again, just with better enemies.

I mean, I haven't even gone past the river to the eastern part of the map, only place I've been is the Sanitarium, and it looks like I have so many cities left to discover. I'd really like to meet the Major right now though, I have a feeling he'll be my ally against the Colonel?

The funny thing is I went back to Ernie Island and now I'm in the Fort underground chasing Corazon. Think I triggered this part a bit too early as well?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xarn posted:

Interesting. I instead went there and left before the patrol came in. I wonder if this caused some of the bugs I saw after that, like the communist leader not being around anymore, but quests telling me to go find him

Had the leader bug too. Pantagruel Dramas couldnt proceed nor could I actually get the mine to hand over despite 100% loyalty

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

have a knife selected, then target a mook like your normally would. it'll let you prepare an attack and target a specific body part, then just move your dude behind them while trying to avoid being spotted.

if you have stealth perks you'll have a much better chance of pulling it off. poo poo will go sideways from time to time.

You don't need a knife for stealth kills. You don't even need a suppressed weapon. Any attack out of stealth mode counts. Guns are surprisingly quiet even without a suppressor, I have gotten a ton of unnoticed stealth kills with the unmodified gewehr even though it says it's super loud. Unlike JA2 where any unsuppressed gunfire would trigger the entire map

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I've got a stack of 10 blue gems and other valuables is there any reason to keep all these trinkets or are you just supposed to sell the stack?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Some valuables have their uses, like small diamonds and various cultural artifacts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I've got a stack of 10 blue gems and other valuables is there any reason to keep all these trinkets or are you just supposed to sell the stack?

You can trade small diamonds to a NPC in Fleatown for a "loot box" which can contain a metaviron, AUG, HK21, M1014, AKSU or random assortment of skill books.

Feel free to cash out the rest.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Oh, by the way, the G36 is good!

And yeah the Fleatown loot boxes have a particular set of boxes that can be procced, and they're randomized within their categories. The hope is that the gun you get is the HK21 because it's a massive upgrade over the MG42 for 7.62 nato machine gun usage.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sweet, patch notes fix 2 bugs Ive had

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh RIP endless freemove melee attacks.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

quote:

On combat end, interactables are now automatically highlighted, and toggle state (on/off) is now persisted across maps.

Thank god. Now if only they'd add an option to not have my carefully curated ammo stash split in half whenever I cut a crafting merc out of a squad...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Custom Auto-5 you can buy in Fleatown is one of the best shotguns in the game other than the one with burst.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

quote:

Fixed issue where Chimurenga would disappear when he is about to retire. If you are already in D8, you need to reenter the sector from another sector for him to appear.

Nice. Together with the UI fixes, this is good direction and a good sign for the future patches.

---e---

Nevermind, the rear end in a top hat is still gone.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 21, 2023

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Great, just another 0.11 worth of patches till we reach perfection!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Fighting Elegy posted:

am I only person who thinks this is a lot different than Xcom? Xcom felt like a modernization/reboot of X-com. This feels like a proper sequel to Jagged Alliance 2.

It's a lot different, but its also an easy way to describe the game to someone who isn't familiar with the series. They're the same genre of game, and JA3 visually seems like it takes a lot from the recent XCOMs.

The strategic layer is way different though, and the tactical layer is a lot better than XCOM for me (no pod activation). I would describe it (if I couldn't just say "JA2 but modern"), I would say a modern day XCOM with humour, no aliens, diverse weaponry, and better tactical gameplay.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think the key difference between new XCOM and new Jagged Alliance is just streamlining. New XCOM is very streamlined, polished and tight. New JA is definitely more modern and convenient than the original, but retains a lot of fiddliness like 30+ ammo types and different action points and stances. I don't think that makes it a worse game at all, but it might be important to someone expecting XCOM.

A question though - sometimes I need Mechanics to disarm a trap, and sometimes I need Explosives. Is there any way of seeing beforehand which you need? The icons and such seem identical.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've heard that it does say Disable or Disarm for mechanics or explosives, respectively. From playing last night with that knowledge in mind, that seems correct.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm still very early into the game but once I got to the first diamond mine in the North, I learned how powerful stealth kills can be. Maybe I'm not doing things totally correctly, but Mouse is a stealth kill god for me with her high AGI and DEX, and I gave her one more perk that makes it harder for her to be spotted. She went around and took down all but 5 goons herself. What do you do though when there's two people near each other? I couldn't set up a double stealth kill with 2 people because as soon as 1 died the other went into alert forcing combat.

Having a sniper set up and ready to some the second guy is the most reliable method I've found. If you take them down cleanly you'll exit combat without alerting anyone. I did it three times while clearing the northern mine.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Gerblyn posted:

A question though - sometimes I need Mechanics to disarm a trap, and sometimes I need Explosives. Is there any way of seeing beforehand which you need? The icons and such seem identical.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've heard that it does say Disable or Disarm for mechanics or explosives, respectively. From playing last night with that knowledge in mind, that seems correct.
That's what I've thought too, but I've used Livewire on a "mechanics check" trap before and it exploded in her face. Meanwhile Barry has always disarmed the trap no matter what kind it was so I want to say it always checks explosives.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Exodee posted:

That's what I've thought too, but I've used Livewire on a "mechanics check" trap before and it exploded in her face. Meanwhile Barry has always disarmed the trap no matter what kind it was so I want to say it always checks explosives.

I've seen Barry get a good shock from a failed mechanics check, so it definitely can check both.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Gadzuko posted:

I've seen Barry get a good shock from a failed mechanics check, so it definitely can check both.
Well drat, in that case his 49 mechanics skills is probably just enough to disarm most traps.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Just train up Barry's Mechanical skill and you won't have to worry.

Barry Unger!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's terrible!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On my save he is already the god of explosives (full 100 points) so sure, why not cross-train him a bit :v:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I went and extracted the game files. Here are all of the likes and dislikes. If anybody wants to put this into a more presentable format for distribution, feel free. Let me know if I missed anybody.

I've added this to the 2nd post in the thread. Thanks!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I hired raven and whenever she nails a headshot Livewire quips "while that was definitely awesome, I will never respect you because you are a cop"

lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I hired raven and whenever she nails a headshot Livewire quips "while that was definitely awesome, I will never respect you because you are a cop"

lmao

Oh my god lol

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Livewire continues to be top tier.

Interesting things spotted in mod workshop on steam - alligator and hyena mercs, hyena IMP and someone's managed to figure out the merchant table things and is working on a Bobby Ray's trader dealership

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Iymarra posted:

Livewire continues to be top tier.

Interesting things spotted in mod workshop on steam - alligator and hyena mercs, hyena IMP and someone's managed to figure out the merchant table things and is working on a Bobby Ray's trader dealership

alhamdulillah

Burns
May 10, 2008

So for refugee camp. I used Ice to trigger the conversation with Colonel. i set the gang by the cliffside and lay a smoke grenade in the area where Ice could run down to. I covered the rest of the hillside with mortar smoke and Ice was able to bravely run away with some glazing wounds.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Burns posted:

So for refugee camp. I used Ice to trigger the conversation with Colonel. i set the gang by the cliffside and lay a smoke grenade in the area where Ice could run down to. I covered the rest of the hillside with mortar smoke and Ice was able to bravely run away with some glazing wounds.

i mean that sounds cool but you could also have literally killed everyone ez pz with the right force comp. I'm talking the mustard gas mortars land in the open far away from you round one and round two its over and those gas clouds are like they were never there. because mortars in this one are just like the one in the biff fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Do you actually have to find a mortar in this like ja2 or is it some mechanic to drop them? I've found a ton of gas rounds but haven't seen a mortar yet.