Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I love the animations for BLU spells, just dive to the ground as the lasers fire overhead. Apokalypsis also looks like a great dps spell if you use Moon Flute, it keeps channeling during the waning phase like Phantom Flurry does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nessus posted:

I am trying to get normal raw onyx but the stuff I find all points at what is now the Rarefied Raw Onyx node.

it's in the caliban gorge in the tempest - the window opens in 2 minutes if you're fast

https://www.garlandtools.org/bell/

search here for raw onyx and it will tell you when and where the node opens

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I secured it -- and now I can send my catboy minion out to mass produce it, if I dare.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah timed nodes are annoying, yes they cycle on like an hourly basis but you have to wait or do something you can easily drop while they're down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I love the animations for BLU spells, just dive to the ground as the lasers fire overhead. Apokalypsis also looks like a great dps spell if you use Moon Flute, it keeps channeling during the waning phase like Phantom Flurry does.

I think, hilariously, the animation is supposed to be you getting on the ground and then opening your mouth to let a laser come out, like the actual monster animation

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Bruceski posted:

Apokalypsis also looks like a great dps spell if you use Moon Flute, it keeps channeling during the waning phase like Phantom Flurry does.
Blue Academy posted their recommended opener and they’re going with Being Mortal as part of the burst + still ending with Phantom Flurry

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Made it up to Chimeric Succession on P9s, one party member is insisting on a strat that feels weird to me and I'd like people's input. I don't know if it has a name (aside from "braindead" but everything gets called that and I don't think this is.
https://raidplan.io/plan/1Wl9EEj8wq7ceryU

The general PF strat for my server is Y-strat, for comparison. This one feels like those places people need to stand are very tight and failure-prone, and close off space for the firestrike group in the south. But I haven't seen it successfully done yet (this week was our first time past meteors and martialist/dualcast, we made it here once before people had to go) so maybe that's not the case. The reason given for this one was "ranged don't have to move" so it's setting off cursed Uptime Strat alarms for me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My static does ranged bait the fire stack while melees get the numbers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I didn't even know it was proximity based on the numbers, PF has always just done do whatever job you get.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah the 4 furthest out from the boss get the numbers, so we do all the ranged inside the hitbox while all the melees are at max melee.

This is kinda moot since we started skipping P9S though, none of us need anything from it anymore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Ibblebibble posted:

My static does ranged bait the fire stack while melees get the numbers.

Yeah but HOW do they do the numbers? That method or swapping positions?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My group always did Y-strat and the one you posted seems... weird.

Bruceski posted:

The reason given for this one was "ranged don't have to move" so it's setting off cursed Uptime Strat alarms for me.

I mean, we're ranged. Being able to move freely or near-freely is half the reason to play that role.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Yeah but HOW do they do the numbers? That method or swapping positions?

It's just determined by distance from boss when the mechanic starts. Then we do 1 + 3 left, 2 + 4 right (north facing south), swap after the first aoe on your side pops. Melee gets the numbers and stays north when number isn't active so that they can keep uptime/MT doesn't have to do weird poo poo.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 21, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

My group always did Y-strat and the one you posted seems... weird.

I mean, we're ranged. Being able to move freely or near-freely is half the reason to play that role.

It is caster uptime if ranged don't have to move, to be fair. Also theoretically melee uptime since when the boss jumps on them they're not off at the top waiting for their defamations to happen.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Arist posted:

Physical ranged, sure, but healers and (some) casters are the most movement limited roles so a strat where they all stand still is usually desirable.

In this case I'm not sure it's worthwhile. The range on the defamation-type ice aoes is big, to the point where people get clipped standing a quarter circle apart if they're sloppy. The proposal is doing that even tighter, using a fifth of a circle. You don't have have handy arena floor markers for forming a pentagon like that. The positioning requirement is tighter, while people's ability to execute the positioning will be worse. That's not a great combination.

E: to be clear, the positioning is so tight that I'm mildly surprised it's possible. Neighbors in a pentagon are 1.17 arena radiuses apart if they're perfectly spaced on the edge, and the aoe size is at least 1 arena radius. That's really not a lot of slop. I practically guarantee that 2-6 people will die from being clipped by a neighbor on your first few attempts until you get the waymarks and offsets dialed in. The melee clump will be especially boxed in and need to do their entire bait and turn dance at the very edge of the arena.

Also, if done exactly as written it places the two dps out of range after he jumps, instead of placing healers out of range as with most swap strats. That's easily fixed, but seems somewhat poorly thought out.

The numbers bait is quite specific: furthest player always gets 1, second furthest always gets 2, and so on. We do swaps and try to preposition in an X such that 1 and 3 are on the left and 2 and 4 on the right, with melee and tanks clumped in the center of his hitbox. When swapping it doesn't really matter where 3&4 do their baits, in an X or Y or whatever, as long as they get their number and are just outside of the 1&2 aoe's range when they go boom.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 21, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Silly Samurai. You're only a tank in FFXI!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
happy to report that Basic Relativity is basically skippable. got her to like, 8% before mechanics started going off

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Made it up to Chimeric Succession on P9s, one party member is insisting on a strat that feels weird to me and I'd like people's input. I don't know if it has a name (aside from "braindead" but everything gets called that and I don't think this is.
https://raidplan.io/plan/1Wl9EEj8wq7ceryU

The general PF strat for my server is Y-strat, for comparison. This one feels like those places people need to stand are very tight and failure-prone, and close off space for the firestrike group in the south. But I haven't seen it successfully done yet (this week was our first time past meteors and martialist/dualcast, we made it here once before people had to go) so maybe that's not the case. The reason given for this one was "ranged don't have to move" so it's setting off cursed Uptime Strat alarms for me.

i'll be real with you. you should politely but firmly tell them that they should learn how to count to four instead. this one skill will save them and the rest of your party a lot of headache in future savage raids

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Apokalypsis also looks like a great dps spell if you use Moon Flute, it keeps channeling during the waning phase like Phantom Flurry does.

It is, but only if the boss doesn't mind you standing still for 10 seconds at the end of every moon flute window so it's pretty situational

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It turns out Nixie is kind of rough to solo on blu (immune to Missile, has a repeated "use Diamondback or die" attack to stress your mp). And then I didn't even get the spell.

That'll teach me to look at PF and say I'll just do it myself rather than create my own PF for it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

i'll be real with you. you should politely but firmly tell them that they should learn how to count to four instead. this one skill will save them and the rest of your party a lot of headache in future savage raids

Yeah to be honest if you can't do LC2 the "conventional way" because you don't want to count, you're not making it through the rest of the tier.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

It is, but only if the boss doesn't mind you standing still for 10 seconds at the end of every moon flute window so it's pretty situational

Yeah this is kind of the issue, being able to stand still and hold the cast for 10 seconds at the end of a 15s burst window is pretty dicey. Being Mortal is just easier to do, especially if you're going to use it multiple times in a fight.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 21, 2023

RME
Feb 20, 2012

That seems overblown, both of those starts seem very easy and it’s be worrying if you couldn’t execute either of them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Thundarr posted:

It turns out Nixie is kind of rough to solo on blu (immune to Missile, has a repeated "use Diamondback or die" attack to stress your mp). And then I didn't even get the spell.

That'll teach me to look at PF and say I'll just do it myself rather than create my own PF for it.

I'm curious, how did you manage to not get the spell? Did you forget to turn on sync, or did you somehow do the fight without seeing it?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

most instance spells (outside of the ones required by the job quests) aren't guaranteed if you go in unsynced

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For Nixie in particular there'd be no reason to go in unsynced, since it's a dungeon that presumably matches the endgame ShB gear level, but you probably still need to turn on the Level Sync checkmark to get the guarantee. I was hoping that was the only issue, not that there was some way of doing the fight without seeing the spell that one could luck into.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

This is really cute!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1682344675833970690?t=cclUOEgo2fG7ZS7TaV2lOw&s=19

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Goons: *don't exercise*

Yoshi-P:

Goons:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alxprit posted:

For Nixie in particular there'd be no reason to go in unsynced, since it's a dungeon that presumably matches the endgame ShB gear level, but you probably still need to turn on the Level Sync checkmark to get the guarantee. I was hoping that was the only issue, not that there was some way of doing the fight without seeing the spell that one could luck into.

It was probably due to me missing the Level Sync box. Though if I'd used it the difference in ilvl probably would have been enough for me to lose on the pass I killed Nixie, it was a squeaker.

I don't think it's possible to actually miss the cast unless you go in with three unsynched level 90s and even then I'm not sure they could burst hard enough to skip.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 21, 2023

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

matoya's cavern isn't ilvl synced. you played yourself

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess I'm not sure what setting I'm supposed to use to both solo the dungeon and guarantee getting the spell. Unless there's literally no option for that in which case welp.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pretty sure it's literally just missing the level sync option under unrestricted party, making you effectively level-synced anyway but without the benefit of a 100% learn rate

edit: by not item level synced i mean it always puts you at the max 530 of shadowbringers if you're regular level synced

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I guess I'm not sure what setting I'm supposed to use to both solo the dungeon and guarantee getting the spell. Unless there's literally no option for that in which case welp.

Basic Instinct, it's a spell that lets you solo dungeons.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Once again, since it's apparently been long enough for people to forget:
  • If you run the dungeon/trial/raid synched at level, you are guaranteed to learn the spell as long as it gets cast and you survive the fight.
  • If you run the dungeon/trial/raid unsynched, either to solo it or have a group of level 90 friends clown on it for you, you need to enable the level synch option under the undrestricted party option to guarantee learning the spell, otherwise you risk not learning the spell.
  • It is still possible to learn the spell without enabling the item level synch, but it's subject to RNG in that case and will likely require multiple runs. Having said that, it's supposed to be set up such that if you're in a group of multiple Blue Mages who need the spell, if even one of them succeeds on the RNG check to learn it, everyone will learn it if they're alive at the end of the fight.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 21, 2023

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
new relics require new fits

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

Basic Instinct, it's a spell that lets you solo dungeons.

Yeah I was using it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Idk if you were doing this too but I found for soloing dungeons it was best to run tank stance and Devour for the max HP increase.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A PASSWORD INTO THE LAUNCHER. ITS FINAL FANTASY 14 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE WOL. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN A FIST POUND EMOTE OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MECHANICS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SAVED EORZEA FROM ULTIMA WEAPONS DEVASTATION. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Doing 20 /determineds in sets of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Thundarr posted:

Yeah I was using it.

I did all the dungeons this patch using healer mimickry, with Pom Cure and Gobskin to keep myself healthy. I only had to use Diamonback for the final boss of The Heroes Gauntlet, everything else I just kept myself at full HP and put up Gobskin before a buster or stack went off. There's no point where outgoing damage can outpace your ability to heal yourself (especially with Angel's Snack if you're in a pinch) so if you're dying it's likely because you're being too aggressive. I definitely got myself killed several times because I was casting damage spells instead of slowing down and healing/shielding up, but if you just wait it out, you shouldn't be in real danger anywhere.