Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Khanstant posted:

Just out of curiosity to know fellow posters better, what are some popular IP you like that you might describe as sick?

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious in my case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont see how it would be any more busted than Jhoiru. It's free but Jhoiru is targeted and can be done multiple times and during an end step

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought compound subtypes needed to be separated by a hyphen, did they bend the rules for this or are Time and Lord now creature types

Miss Demeanor is a "Lady of Proper Etiquette" without hyphens. Yes, I had to resort to an unglued card to even find an example. The only actual sub-type I could find with a hyphen on a quick search was Assembly-Worker.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lord was a creature type up until 2007.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

The Puffy Shirt
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 1
Equipped creature gets -2/-0 and is unblockable.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought compound subtypes needed to be separated by a hyphen, did they bend the rules for this or are Time and Lord now creature types

Presumably they were willing to bend the rules for the sake of adhering to the brand's style guide.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Maro posted that the creature type is indeed "Time Lord". Gonna be calling that with Plague Engineer whenever I can from now on.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Randalor posted:

Miss Demeanor is a "Lady of Proper Etiquette" without hyphens. Yes, I had to resort to an unglued card to even find an example. The only actual sub-type I could find with a hyphen on a quick search was Assembly-Worker.

Power-Plant is the other one I was thinking of

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Over never been a Dr. Who fan (Tom Baker or fuckin bust) but this seems like it'll be a real fun commander...

oh look, it's those things we remember. can't wait to see the weeping angel (1WB artifact, don't blink! - whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield from exile, weeping angel becomes a gargoyle angel artifact creature with p/t 4/4 and flying/vigilance/menace until end of turn)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kalel posted:

oh look, it's those things we remember. can't wait to see the weeping angel (1WB artifact, don't blink! - whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield from exile, weeping angel becomes a gargoyle angel artifact creature with p/t 4/4 and flying/vigilance/menace until end of turn)

I know you're joking but drat that's pretty good, lol

I'd be a sucker for TMNT or DS9 UB, I can't lie :yum:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

kalel posted:

Could also add "If a creature blocks a weeping angel, roll a d6. That creature is exiled with time counters equal to the result of the roll. "

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious in my case

I don't have platinum to look you up so going by your avatar I'm guessing it's a crossover with Two Ravens Man.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm sure I'm out of the loop: When did Magic start giving their card abilities flavor names (e.g. Allons-y)?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm sure I'm out of the loop: When did Magic start giving their card abilities flavor names (e.g. Allons-y)?

First time I remember doing it en masse was Baldur’s Gate, though I don’t pay attention to Secret Lairs very much so maybe there

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

First time I remember doing it en masse was Baldur’s Gate, though I don’t pay attention to Secret Lairs very much so maybe there

Adventures in the Forgotten Realms was the first official set that did it I think.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

this is incredibly annoying imo :mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Moose posted:

Adventures in the Forgotten Realms was the first official set that did it I think.

Yep, it's an outgrowth of ability words: https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Ability_word

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Ability words were introduced in kamigawa block iirc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a website (or ~ app ~) that can help me build a deck. For example, it would tell me "ok you should have 20 red cards in here so you should add 10 mountains" or "you don't have any creatures you should add some" and things like that. Like I want a Deloitte consultant giving me Best Practices on my stupid magic deck. Does such a thing exist?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they aren't italicized but I'd consider "choose khans or dragons" in fate reforged and "vote for death or taxes" in conspiracy as precursors to ornamental flavor text

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

nvrgrls posted:

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a website (or ~ app ~) that can help me build a deck. For example, it would tell me "ok you should have 20 red cards in here so you should add 10 mountains" or "you don't have any creatures you should add some" and things like that. Like I want a Deloitte consultant giving me Best Practices on my stupid magic deck. Does such a thing exist?

If your needs are that wide, the probable answer is "this thread."

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was afraid of that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

I was afraid of that.

hey what's wrong with this thread, you loving stupid idiot bastard??

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The issue with something like that is that the answer to questions like how many lands or how many creatures or w/e is always 'it depends'. There are heuristics, and times to not follow them, and exceptions to the exceptions as well.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

disaster pastor posted:

If your needs are that wide, the probable answer is "this thread."

Well I have a question for you guys then. How garbage fire is this mana base for a mostly https://www.moxfield.com/decks/dPESiG_QHUSicD-BJZMLcA? This is the explorer version with a pioneer version replacing the giant killers with kytheon.

Taking it for a spin on arena seems good. I think the sideboard covers most of the match ups fairly well. I'm a bit concerned with temporary lockdown absolutely wrecking my day.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kalel posted:

They'll be Angel Horrors, and they'll tuck blocking/blocked creatures like 8 cards deep into their owners' library

Edit: also 10 being a vindictive dick and dropping a Greater Gargadon on someone out of nowhere is totally on brand with the character

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 21, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MasterBuilder posted:

Well I have a question for you guys then. How garbage fire is this mana base for a mostly https://www.moxfield.com/decks/dPESiG_QHUSicD-BJZMLcA? This is the explorer version with a pioneer version replacing the giant killers with kytheon.

Taking it for a spin on arena seems good. I think the sideboard covers most of the match ups fairly well. I'm a bit concerned with temporary lockdown absolutely wrecking my day.

I mean it's humans, you're going to be dead to a sweeper anyway. don't overcommit against aggro, and remember that you can potentially use hopeful initiate to blow up temporary lockdown in certain situations.

I'm personally kind of skittish about four color humans which relies on secluded courtyard and unclaimed territory and which also has spells in the main and the side. I would cut the blue and replace reflector mage with anointed peacekeeper and lavinia with invasion of gobakhan, then rearrange the mana base using the abzan shocks and fast lands. I feel like you get the same sort of effect (tempoing out mid-range decks that go larger) with less sketchy manabase. Maybe keep the courtyards but cut the unclaimed territories.

that's my initial feeling. I had a build of abzan humans from last year but I just deleted it in my collection :(

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 21, 2023

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kalel posted:

hey what's wrong with this thread, you loving stupid idiot bastard??

I mean....

ANYWAY I think the tappedout website is going to be what I want... I can put together a deck and it can give me stats about it so I can follow or not follow the GAAP

For example this
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/merfolk-mischief-turn-3-win/

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

I mean....

ANYWAY I think the tappedout website is going to be what I want... I can put together a deck and it can give me stats about it so I can follow or not follow the GAAP

For example this

that was a joke, sorry

anyway tappedout is good, if you're looking for stats I think moxfield has a better UI but gives roughly the same info.

you can also try submitting your deck list for review by a streamer or pro. they might have a service via their patreon or channel where they give you pointers for your deck list. They might even pilot it for you on stream. I know some charge for that kind of stuff, but others will give you quick feedback for free on Twitter as well. it all depends on the individual and the format in question, but it is an option.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I know it was a joke all good

You piece of poo poo

what do you think of my deck here: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-07-23-white-and-blue/?cb=1689966354

(My motivation: I have One Deck that I use to play against my son, and he's bored with me playing with only the same deck over and over)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nvrgrls posted:

I mean....

For example this

I love tapped out since you can have it check against your arena collection and see how far you are from playable/craftable. Also easy to sort 9ut if it's just the manabase you lack and can sub in basics, or if the main deck is out of grasp.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oh hey they actually printed the real Zilortha card in Commander Masters:

The only version that existed in print was the Godzilla version prior to this because it was the box topper.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A Moose posted:

Got my DND names mixed up :argh:

Johnny Truant posted:

this is incredibly annoying imo :mad:

There’s times when it’s fun and flavourful and there’s times when it feels like a bunch of unnecessary words, I don’t mind it on the Who stuff mentioned so much but some of the modal spells in the DND sets seemed excessive

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

I know it was a joke all good

You piece of poo poo

what do you think of my deck here: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-07-23-white-and-blue/?cb=1689966354

(My motivation: I have One Deck that I use to play against my son, and he's bored with me playing with only the same deck over and over)

for kitchen table magic, it looks pretty good. the very first thing I would say is, as a general heuristic, you want 40% of any deck you make to be lands. So in your case I would go up to 24 lands. A quartet of lands which tap for both white and blue would slot in quite nicely, e.g. meandering river and tranquil cove (there are many others). then you would have to cut four non-lands of course.

beyond that, it's kind of up to you. what are your goals?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AngryBooch posted:

oh hey they actually printed the real Zilortha card in Commander Masters:

The only version that existed in print was the Godzilla version prior to this because it was the box topper.

It still kinda sucks that Zilortha isn't naya, since white is the main color of 2 mana 3/1s

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kalel posted:

for kitchen table magic, it looks pretty good. the very first thing I would say is, as a general heuristic, you want 40% of any deck you make to be lands. So in your case I would go up to 24 lands. A quartet of lands which tap for both white and blue would slot in quite nicely, e.g. meandering river and tranquil cove (there are many others). then you would have to cut four non-lands of course.

beyond that, it's kind of up to you. what are your goals?

Thank you. What are my goals? IDK, for this one I just want to play with my kid something that's not for sure going to be me destroying him or him destroying me. Hard to estimate that without me writing out all his decks I know...

I would like - separate from this deck - to build a deck that has a lot of little fellas that get stronger with time. I guess "aggro / proliferation" deck? Is that a thing? I'm sure that's a thing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

how do you usually acquire new cards? do you buy packs or preconstructed decks, do you use leftovers from events you go to, or do you buy singles? that would inform the kinds of cards you can get and the decks you can build. in terms of power level, you're probably going to do fine putting together any cards you have on hand as long as you stick to commons and uncommons.

for the deck you're describing, you're probably looking to build a white or white/green deck. I built a deck to teach my gf the game that operates along this kind of line which might be a good jumping off point (40 card deck): white knights

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
For lots of little dudes on a budget, I would go for mono white. But, you also have options in other colors if you don't want another white deck. There's a pretty wide spread of mechanics that are "small dudes that get bigger." For example, white does "make little tokens, then play effects that buff your whole board" best, while green does "play a little guy that slowly gets bigger on its own" type cards.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is "White weenies" the name for that archetype? Making a bunch of little 1/1 tokens then boost them all with "Lords," creatures that give bonuses to those tokens like King Darien XLVIII, or "anthems," enchantments that have a similar effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

JawnV6 posted:

Is "White weenies" the name for that archetype? Making a bunch of little 1/1 tokens then boost them all with "Lords," creatures that give bonuses to those tokens like King Darien XLVIII, or "anthems," enchantments that have a similar effect.

White weenies was definitely the name of this archetype in like 1997.