Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Testekill posted:

I last checked the score and the Lions were like 35 points up, what the gently caress happened

I mean I know what happened, Lions are hilariously inconsistent outside of Queensland but holy poo poo.

they got melkshook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
2nd vs 13th on the ladder

Somehow the team that's 13th went into the game as a favourite according to the Footy tips website

Somehow they are actually winning so far

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

Somehow the team that's 13th went into the game as a favourite according to the Footy tips website

Now Port are getting smashed

reckon Port mentally threw the game. After Brisbane lost, they know top 2 is theirs. Heaps of outs, just give a meh performance and move on.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

Port rested nearly half their side, it's not a surprising result

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

gay picnic defence posted:

Port rested nearly half their side, it's not a surprising result

To be fair, four of the outs were forced.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Go blooooos

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
End it in Geelong now please.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
gently caress me, Cats playing in fast forward.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adelaide is a pedestrian side who played like poo poo, a smart and ruthless management would recognise the season is gone and the squad isn't good enough and put the tools away to play for a top 5 pick.

We're not though, so they'll desperately try every short term gain trick to ultimately finish 9th

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide is a pedestrian side who played like poo poo, a smart and ruthless management would recognise the season is gone and the squad isn't good enough and put the tools away to play for a top 5 pick.

We're not though, so they'll desperately try every short term gain trick to ultimately finish 9th

Hell, I don't really care if we tank or not, but it would be nice to see us drop the players who consistently let us down at crucial moments and try someone else.

I reckon we would have played the fewest players of any side in the league this year, in what is ostensibly a rebuilding year. Just the same 25 players rotated around every week.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:mmmsmug:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Did Dan Rioli get poo poo on by a seagull or something

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The AFLW fixture just got announced and Crows are playing GWS in Canberra so I think I'm gonna go to my first ever AFLW match. Anyone here been to a match at Manuka Oval before?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

The AFLW fixture just got announced and Crows are playing GWS in Canberra so I think I'm gonna go to my first ever AFLW match. Anyone here been to a match at Manuka Oval before?

I've been to Manuka heaps (grew up in Canberra), it's a nice ground to watch footy as you're close to the action mostly anywhere you sit.

Trying to park anywhere close to the ground is a shitfight.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guy I knew suggested the best places to sit were either the Bradman Stand or behind the East goals, (although it seemed like he was saying that because of where the sun is, so I'm wondering if an 1105 match would be different) does that sound about right from your experience?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

this talk about changing the finals to be like the NBA and the footy media sucking up the idea can gently caress off

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Diet Crack posted:

this talk about changing the finals to be like the NBA and the footy media sucking up the idea can gently caress off

In what respect, a best of seven?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No, same as the VFL and VFLW, wildcard spots to have more teams playing finals.

It'll happen when Tassie enters no doubt

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If a non-Victorian team ever wins the flag from a wildcard spot it'll be the biggest whinge ever put to print

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I like the finals as they are.

About half the teams make it. So it neatly sorts the teams into the good and not good enough.

First week of the finals again sorts the wheat from the chaff, whilst also giving the teams that finished 7th/8th a fighting chance to live the cinderella dream.

If you were good enough throughout the season to finish 1st-4th you get a second chance if you lose, or a week off if you win. And if you want to tell that cinderella story, you have to win 4 games in a row against teams that finished above you. Which if you can do, good luck to you and hooray.

Tinkering with them is like the tinkering with the rules. No good can come of it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh you mean like the play in?

Hmmm, I feel like it doesn't work as well for AFL; a single game of basketball isn't that big a deal, but an extra game of AFL is a bit too much of a disadvantage for the teams in 7-10 (Or whatever range they'd go for)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
At a distance, 82 games followed by up to 28 finals matches is absurd. How did that even happen?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snoremac posted:

At a distance, 82 games followed by up to 28 finals matches is absurd. How did that even happen?

The more games there are, the more money they can make.

And I guess basketball games aren't quite as punishing as AFL, and they can rotate more players through.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Having teams as low as 10th be able to play in finals in an 18 team comp is pretty ridiculous. I know you can call it wildcard to make the finals, but since its knock out, its basically just another final in itself. Leave it as is

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The other thing with the new NBA playoffs format is, yes the quality of teams have been (luckily) maintained for every team getting in, but even the old format was 16 of 30 getting into the finals…and now it’s 20 of 30. And I remember years when the East teams from the 5th placed side down were just absolute cannon fodder; now even 9th and 10th have a shot? The run that Miami had won’t happen every year. It’s going to look too expanded at some point.

That said the NBA is also rumbling about expansion so :v:

As a relative outsider, I do like the AFL format and the double chance - it provides an incentive to stay top four.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The competition is unbalanced as it is, why are we about to warrant another team getting in from 10th which in all likeliness would be a Vic club too? Who gets home field advantage for a play-in?

I'm just sick of loving with the rules and laws of this sport, just stop. loving new AFL CEO trying to be all "I CAN DO poo poo!"

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Bring back AFLX

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Every side could play each other once before the ladder is divided into three groups for the last six rounds as part of a future fixture revamp being considered by the AFL and club chief executives.
Senior figures gathered for a two-day conference to discuss the key issues facing the game including increasing the soft cap, a mid-season trade period, Tasmania’s new team, AFLW and ways to revamp the fixture.
It included a left-field idea to move to a best-of-three grand final series which has support from interstate clubs, but the longshot proposal would be difficult to implement.
Officials present at the meeting on Wednesday said the 30-minute discussion on the fixture was designed to stimulate ideas to enhance and add value and fairness to the competition."

Just gently caress OFF. Why the absolute gently caress would you have a 1 game finals series then a 3 game grand final? This new AFL CEO already sucks poo poo and he's not even been in the post for 3 months.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Just have Collingwood play more games at GMHBA and be done with it

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Imagine having a best-of-three grand final and then it's just 2-0 after two games. Do you bother to play the third? What's the point?

At least with state of origin there's an argument that you're playing for pride and even winning a game is worthwhile despite losing the series. Whereas in the AFL one team has already won the premiership. at 2-0 There's nothing else to play for.

I hate it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

“A best of 3 finals? So one at MCG, one home game each?”

“Oh, no, all 3 at the MCG. And any interstate teams have to fly home after each game.”

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

Imagine having a best-of-three grand final and then it's just 2-0 after two games. Do you bother to play the third? What's the point?

If it's anything like the NBA, you stop at 2.

It's still a bad idea though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let's make it more like NBA!

NBA game length - 4 12 minute quarters = 48 minutes on a 28m x 15 m court
AFL game length - 4 20-30 minute quarters = 2 hours on a 165m x 135m field

See, perfectly comparable!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I would interpret it as ending if it goes 2-0

Also can’t help but think this is to reach a contractual minimum number of Finals games at the MCG a little easier.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Imagine the usual (read: average) GF prematch entertainment, but 3x :barf:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Robbie Williams turns to dust midway through pre-show 2

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

harperdc posted:

Yeah I would interpret it as ending if it goes 2-0

Also can’t help but think this is to reach a contractual minimum number of Finals games at the MCG a little easier.

So I assume the selling point would be that there would be one home game each and one "neutral" venue (presumably MCG) rather than just three MCG games.

So what, do you do the two home games first? And then miss the MCG match if it goes 2-0? They're not going to allow that.

Or play the MCG match first and then follow it up with two home games? Perhaps whichever team loses the MCG match gets the first home game?

If it's just three MCG matches what is even the point?

It's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The point of it all is that they know more people watch finals, so therefore if we have more finals we’ll be able to sell the TV rights for more. They don’t give a gently caress about the game, it’s just about infinite growth of the AFL balance sheet, squeezing more from the golden goose.