Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

speaking as a Mid Thirties Guy long games are great because I pay the same amount of cash on average but can stretch out the experience for way more time. very budget friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

speaking as a Mid Thirties Guy long games are great because I pay the same amount of cash on average but can stretch out the experience for way more time. very budget friendly

yeah we’ve entered a golden age of good price to content ratio in that regard. stuff like battlebits for multiplayer and thus up to thousands of hours and then countless games like Dave the Diver which seems likely to be a solid 40 hours and somehow manage to be both compelling, cheap, and lengthy. obviously the whole indie explosion has been happening for awhile but it feels qualitatively superior to what was around in 2016 or so

what really excites me is the prospect of Chinese companies entering the western market as giant conglomerates continue to gently caress everything up and kill off series like battlefield, every MMO ever, etc. there’s gonna be a gaming renaissance emanating from China in the near future

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat d4 and the option to forever skip the campaign came up and my face went like :getin:
its so perverse how they make a terrible 30 hour game where you dont even seen half the mechanics to leveling a character at all and then are like yeah that was awful right lol have fun now.

wait thats a thing???? lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that game really punishes the poo poo out of you for wanting to try out all the classes huh

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al! posted:

that game really punishes the poo poo out of you for wanting to try out all the classes huh

getting to skip the campaign is a reward not a punishment

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

Yeah i got like yakuza 0-7 for a total of like $30 lol. Now that's a great dollars:hours ratio!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

getting to skip the campaign is a reward not a punishment

maybe i wasnt clear enough i wish i knew that going it because i spent all this time hopping between the classes and having to slog through that bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As a mid thirties guy I was still able to finish entire games last year and this year

Wfh ftw

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al! posted:

maybe i wasnt clear enough i wish i knew that going it because i spent all this time hopping between the classes and having to slog through that bullshit

oh lol yeah you got bamboozled by blizzard

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gamers be like: "mmmmm slurp slurp I love drinking my slop give me more Diablo"

https://twitter.com/Rurikhan/status/1682187267425574914

yeah it's malicious design. what are you gonna do about it, bitch? stop playing?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yeah it's malicious design. what are you gonna do about it, bitch? stop playing?

I feel bad for this republic of gamers, but this is tremendous content

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"not happy with the scammy money grubbing by blizzard, thats ok, ill still keep clicking that garbage"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if they didn't want to be scammed why did they play Diablo 4

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Frog Act posted:

it’s really great. you might wanna try 64p mode too, 127 is a lot of fun and certainly cultivates the maximum possible battlefield style chaos but is a bit harder for exp and actually feeling impactful in the sense that a frontline will form and it’s a lot harder to push through it when there are that many players. plus like half the maps are only available in the lower player count modes and there are a surprisingly large number of maps

This game rarely actually develops front lines outside of specific map and game mode combinations. It's actually one of the things that I really dislike about it in comparison to PS2. People bunch up a poo poo ton, which means that it's incredibly easy to just walk around the entire enemy team and shoot them in the back or capture points uncontested. Ironically the actual front lines game mode probably drives this home more than any other. Rounds will frequently end in minutes because one team will have 90% of its players at a single point while the other just walks around them and captures all of the sectors almost entirely uncontested. One guy hiding in a bush can also be a spawn point for 8 people, which is why points on Conquest will start flipping again 30 seconds after a team captures it and moves on.

Maps like Salhan and some domination layouts are definitely small and linear enough to make flanking and squad spawning less impactful or noticeable, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No lesson learned
https://twitter.com/Rurikhan/status/1682417819084881921?t=41tXkt35jN9GKR6vRI-H7A&s=19

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
think im gonna try stalker anthology this weekend. its a pack for anomaly that contains a whole bunch of different story mods as well as rebuilds of the original 3 stories but in anomaly. you can only play one story at a time and need new characters for each. considering how often i reroll new stalker characters i think that'll work for me just fine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

oh lol yeah you got bamboozled by blizzard

i would say more like they had a specific idea in mind for that game, and that idea sucks

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why does diablo have seasons now?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It's ten dollars for that thing he unlocked and its only for cosmetics for one season. Power to the players.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

genericnick posted:

money

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al! posted:

i would say more like they had a specific idea in mind for that game, and that idea sucks

im enjoying d4, but i also only played enough to get my one eternal character to 55, but there are lots of unobvious ways to make playing unfun and blizzard does it’s best to not tell you how to avoid them

genericnick posted:

d3 has had seasons for years, they ruled

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lmao i would probably fall prey to this

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol obviously not

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cosmetics that only work for one season? holy moly I knew the new blizzard game was going to be bad but this is wild

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

I don't know how to tell you this but Diablo 2 invented the concept of seasons in gaming

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

lmao i would probably fall prey to this

it only works if you already gave blizzard $10 for a battle pass but are *protesting* by saving it for 3 months from now to own blizzard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
like basically every poo poo feature in games except perhaps "open world design" has its roots in Blizzard coming up with it years before it hits the mainstream

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sorry but God created the concept of seasons on Earth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

cosmetics that only work for one season? holy moly I knew the new blizzard game was going to be bad but this is wild

sadly no, the cosmetics last, but blizzard is hiring so

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

god bless the diablo players

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite was sued and lost a court case because of that type of button.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite was sued and lost a court case because of that type of button.

i don't think this button makes you spend money though it just uses something you spent money on

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

i don't think this button makes you spend money though it just uses something you spent money on

this is the kind of technicality that Blizzard really appreciates in designing its wealth extraction UI

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

croup coughfield posted:

think im gonna try stalker anthology this weekend. its a pack for anomaly that contains a whole bunch of different story mods as well as rebuilds of the original 3 stories but in anomaly. you can only play one story at a time and need new characters for each. considering how often i reroll new stalker characters i think that'll work for me just fine

is it in a playable state? I heard about it but it was in a really early state.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is the kind of technicality that Blizzard really appreciates in designing its wealth extraction UI

freewill, act of god, etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

david this is hal. liquidus is posting in the trump thread and we need your help

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

i loving hated rain world

The difficulty mixed with the randomization made me hate it as well. Then they released a reduced difficulty patch that made it less bullshitty. If that’s why you quit, give it a second chance

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

david this is hal. liquidus is posting in the trump thread and we need your help

Liquidus?!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gotta do the hardest difficulty in single player games or you are not getting the full value out of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i assume that blizzard's in game store also doesn't have any confirmations outside of buying the monopoly money itself