Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

This always works.

The "fill the lake" part of the hint refers to the fact that normally, you need the Water Temple's item to actually make it over to that island, so there's no point to shooting the sun yet (the internet says you can get around that by using the bean plant or the scarecrow's song).

I feel like I probably knew that, but the ending still caught me off guard.

I started thinking whether that allows for any sequence breaking, but I suppose the special arrows don't have any major utility in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I feel like I probably knew that, but the ending still caught me off guard.

I started thinking whether that allows for any sequence breaking, but I suppose the special arrows don't have any major utility in this game.

Hey, not true, the fire arrows are totally necessary... for making torch puzzles easier. :v:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DoubleNegative posted:

Ship of Harkinian is a strange beast at times. I’m going to blame it.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This always works.

The "fill the lake" part of the hint refers to the fact that normally, you need the Water Temple's item to actually make it over to that island, so there's no point to shooting the sun yet (the internet says you can get around that by using the bean plant or the scarecrow's song).

Yeah turns out it's not a glitch, although I didn't know that until later. It's so weird to me that the riddle pretty specifically states "when water fills the lake" but it still works anyways. Wild.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

SorryNotMorrie: "I like how taking the [Iron] Boots off and putting them in our backpack is enough to let us swim back to the surface."
Obligatory Awkward Zombie (technically a Twilight Princess comic, but relevant to the video):

Carbon dioxide posted:

This always works.

Actually you just need the lake filled in order to swim over to the Fire Arrows. You don't need the Water Temple's item to get there.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

28 - The Water Temple

Link sinks into the labyrinthian Water Temple to save the Zoras.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I’m glad the co-hosts got at least a small taste of how much of a pain backtracking to get all of the keys can be, even if this isn’t a blind run and you know what you’re doing. I feel like you should ignore the ability to quickly toggle your boots for a few puzzles just to get across how annoying it was to have to go into the menu and manually do it each time.

I remember playing through as a kid and this level took for ever. Years later I picked up OoT on the 3DS, and they did make some welcome quality of life changes. The one big change that stuck out to me was on the passage under the floating platform- the cutscene where you raise the water lingered on that passage way longer than it did in the original N64 version. By that point I knew exactly where it was, but that was one of the few changes to gameplay/cutscenes where it was obvious the developers were trying to throw new players a bone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Dark Link encounter is such a cool setpiece. It's kind of unfortunate that fighting him with the sword becomes just button spam, but it's still very memorable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The hammer is just completely inconsistent for me on Dark Link.

On the N64 version on the Switch Virtual console, Dark Link will just straight block the hammer with his shield every time, no problem. And every time I see an LP like this batter him with it I wonder if I was imagining things until the next time I play and bam, he whips out his shield again.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think the trick with the hammer is that you need to not be locked on when you swing it. I definitely remember being able to get into a loop where you hammer him, then he respawns behind you so you just turn around and swing to hit him again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
While watching the Dark Link fight, I had to wonder if the oft-overlooked deku nuts do anything. They seem like they'd be the ideal "gently caress you, I get to hit you now" button against him.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DoubleNegative posted:

While watching the Dark Link fight, I had to wonder if the oft-overlooked deku nuts do anything. They seem like they'd be the ideal "gently caress you, I get to hit you now" button against him.

I think they can work, but definitely not if you're locked on - he'll block them with his shield.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

It's been a very long time, but "don't lock on" is definitely stuck in my memory about Dark Link. I was probably trying to just sword duel him, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only strategy for Dark Link I ever thought to use was the hammer and I guess every other item in my inventory was just pasted over with the thought "Oh that's loving sick" the first time he jumped on my sword.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh man, now I really wish I thought to try the Deku nuts, although it doesn't really seem like a stunnable enemy. Does anyone else remember arrows working so well against him? In my head he always just dodged or blocked them, but this time I could just hit him easily every time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think I ever did anything except swing the sword wildly because I was a supremely uncreative child.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

29 - Morpha

Link must sink and/or swim to defeat the boss of the Water Temple and fix Lake Hylia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about Zelda Sheik's weird hiding in the tree/swan dive exit rather than the usual smoke bomb. Very strange. I'd love if they had him exit in new ways in every appearance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I agree, Morrie should be in charge of all your openings :newlol:

TwoPair posted:

I forgot about Zelda Sheik's weird hiding in the tree/swan dive exit rather than the usual smoke bomb. Very strange. I'd love if they had him exit in new ways in every appearance.
I always remember this specific exit because it's odd (and let's be honest, hilarious) compared to the others.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

smoke bomb

There's a theory that Sheik throws Deku Nuts. The animation is exactly the same and since creatures hit by it get frozen, you could assume that from their point of view no time seems to pass.

Also, there's no in-game reason at all for Zora's Domain not melting. Nobody in the game even mentions it. The best theory is that they just ran out of development time or cartridge space or something.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
There is an absurdly easy way to beat Morpha - just stand in the corner, back to the wall, and his tentacles can't hit you. Or they didn't back when I last played OoT.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Unfortunately it turns out the only place to hide in the fire temple was in the lava and Mork knows Shiek isn't going to try that trick again Joke shamelessly stolen from Spookums in Dawn of War Retribution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vDQWMJNbE

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

30 - Lurking in the Deep

Link tries to take a break, but finds out what kinds of things are hiding below the surface.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Insert that scene from Looper where Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt talk about time travel here.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, uh, :actually:...

While you're right that the game definitely pushes you in a certain direction, you can do the Spirit Temple before Shadow fairly easily if you want (and I've always wondered if at some point in development that was the intended order, or if they wanted it to be a choice, because the order in the pause menu has the Spirit medallion before Shadow). Unless you've memorised the path you do need the Lens to get through the desert, so you need to do the well first, but nothing in the Spirit Temple actually requires the Hover Boots. It's barely a sequence break; you have to ignore the direction Navi gives you, but otherwise you're just playing normally and there are no glitches/exploits/etc involved.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The song of storms puzzle is maybe one of my favorite in the franchise. But that's just because I like time travel stories so Link creating a time paradox for this temple (well, to get into the temple) rules.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
IIRC, time does pass in the fishing pond, but at something like a quarter normal speed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've had the most success with the fishing by tossing near a fish and then wiggling so much that Link starts pulling the lure back to him. The fish seem more likely to bite if you make them chase it.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Explopyro posted:

So, uh, :actually:...

While you're right that the game definitely pushes you in a certain direction, you can do the Spirit Temple before Shadow fairly easily if you want (and I've always wondered if at some point in development that was the intended order, or if they wanted it to be a choice, because the order in the pause menu has the Spirit medallion before Shadow). Unless you've memorised the path you do need the Lens to get through the desert, so you need to do the well first, but nothing in the Spirit Temple actually requires the Hover Boots. It's barely a sequence break; you have to ignore the direction Navi gives you, but otherwise you're just playing normally and there are no glitches/exploits/etc involved.

Yeah I guess that's true. I always consider the Lens to be intrinsically tied to the Shadow Temple, but I guess it is separate.

TapamN posted:

IIRC, time does pass in the fishing pond, but at something like a quarter normal speed.

I was pretty sure that's what was going on. I read that there was a specific fish behavior that happens at dusk and dawn, but it seemed to be night time for way too long.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

31 - Bottom of the Well

Link goes back in time to uncover the secrets hiding under Kakariko Village.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I always thought "ah well that green sludge probably gets diluted enough that it's not that bad for the town" when I first played the game. Never really thought about all the other hosed up poo poo like zombies and mummies and giant spiders being down there too until this video. I mean maybe if you really want to make up some headcanon you you can chalk some of it up to "Oh Ganondorf made the monsters appear" but he didn't put that fuckin' torture rack down there.

Kakariko has a dark underbelly hiding beneath the facade of the happy people living there. Literally!

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Secret tunnel!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Should we make unsubstantiated connections between the boss carpenter's son and the evil well? Maybe we should.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Always fun when you get to this part and it's just hey we're in Silent Hill 64.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

TwoPair posted:

Somehow I always thought "ah well that green sludge probably gets diluted enough that it's not that bad for the town" when I first played the game. Never really thought about all the other hosed up poo poo like zombies and mummies and giant spiders being down there too until this video. I mean maybe if you really want to make up some headcanon you you can chalk some of it up to "Oh Ganondorf made the monsters appear" but he didn't put that fuckin' torture rack down there.

Kakariko has a dark underbelly hiding beneath the facade of the happy people living there. Literally!

I never noticed anything weird when I was a kid, it was just another weird place filled with monsters to clear. It wasn't until I was older and someone pointed out to me that Ganondorf didn't make the temples, just the monsters, so the Sheikah are the ones who actually had the secret torture prison. Weird poo poo.

Kibayasu posted:

Should we make unsubstantiated connections between the boss carpenter's son and the evil well? Maybe we should.

Unsubstantiated indeed, but interesting. Maybe he's a particularly thirsty boy and drank too much of the water?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I never noticed anything weird when I was a kid, it was just another weird place filled with monsters to clear. It wasn't until I was older and someone pointed out to me that Ganondorf didn't make the temples, just the monsters, so the Sheikah are the ones who actually had the secret torture prison. Weird poo poo.

They serve the Royal Family directly, right? It almost feels like they were portrayed as some kind of secret police, like the Ohkrana only hereditary.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Frenzy could you blow the mind of your cocommentators by asking: if you learn the Song of Storms from the windmill guy but you're the one who then teaches it to him in the past, where did the song originally come from?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

32 - Getting That Gossip

Link gets a new source for all the hot goss.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They serve the Royal Family directly, right? It almost feels like they were portrayed as some kind of secret police, like the Ohkrana only hereditary.

We're told that the Sheikah have served the Hyrule Royal Family for a long time, but we're told this as they introduce Impa as Zelda's nanny. Which makes their service seem pretty benign. Considering the ninja stuff and what we find beneath the well and in the Shadow Temple, it seems more likely that they were spies, assassins, torturers, etc.

Also neat to point out, the Sheikah are a different race of people separate from the Hylians, similar to the Gerudo. Which is cool because it turns out each Temple is actually tied to one of Hyrule's races. But of course, what does that make Rauru?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey Frenzy could you blow the mind of your cocommentators by asking: if you learn the Song of Storms from the windmill guy but you're the one who then teaches it to him in the past, where did the song originally come from?

The time travel itself blew their minds, not sure if I want to risk getting into a discussion about causality paradoxes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Also neat to point out, the Sheikah are a different race of people separate from the Hylians, similar to the Gerudo. Which is cool because it turns out each Temple is actually tied to one of Hyrule's races. But of course, what does that make Rauru?

Zonai (but disguised as an old man/owl for inscrutable reasons)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

But of course, what does that make Rauru?

The owl is his real form, obviously. He just knew you wouldn't accept a world-saving quest from a bird. (Trees are fine though.)

Alternatively, he wanted Link to actually listen this time and so knew he had to not be the drat bird or his eyes would reflexively glaze over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man I do not remember having to beat the chest game or that the Lens of Truth could see through chests at all. I know for a fact I've done a 100% run before so I must have known at some point but man that just slips away, huh?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The Exposition Tribe, obviously